Combo Box/SQL statement

I have a combo box whose Row Source Type is table/query and Row Source
is "SELECT DISTINCT [Package Name] from Packages ORDER BY [Package
Name];".  I can see the values when I run that SQL statement as a
query, but nothing shows up when I run it as a function of the form
(i.e., the form opens up, the SQL statement runs, but nothing shows up
in the combo box).  I mean literally, nothing shows up, although I can
see there are the three place holders in the list I'm expecting, but
no text.

I'm wondering how much effect the Bound Column property has on this,
and frankly, from the help pages, I can't understand what it's
supposed to indicate.  The Bound Column is currently 2--that's the
value Access put into it-- but I've tried it with 0 through 3 to no
effect.

What am I missing here?

0
Monty
5/30/2007 4:46:41 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

The BoundColumn property of a combo or list box is the column from which the
control takes its value when a selection is made.  As in your case your SQL
statement only returns one column then it should be 1 not 2.

I also suspect that the ColumnWidths property might be incorrect.  My guess
is that it is two dimensions with the first zero, which would be why you see
nothing because the first column is your one and only column, so if its width
is zero it will be hidden.  Simply delete the entry for the ColumnWidths
property.

You might also find that the ColumnCount property is not 1.  If so change it
to 1.

The sort of situation where you would hide the first column, set the
ColumnCount to 2 and the ColumnWidths to two dimensions of which the first is
zero, is when you want the value to be something like an arbitrary numeric ID
but you want to see the corresponding meaningful text value.  Say for
instance you had a foreign key column CityID in a table, referencing the
primary key of a Cities table.  A combo box bound to that column in a form
would have a RowSource:

SELECT CityID, City
FROM Cities
ORDER BY City;

Its BoundColumn property would be 1 so that the (unseen) value of the
control would be the CityID, its ColumnCount 2 as the SQL statement returns 2
columns, and its CoumnWidths something like 0cm;8cm to hide the CityID and
show just the city names.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

"Monty" wrote:

> I have a combo box whose Row Source Type is table/query and Row Source
> is "SELECT DISTINCT [Package Name] from Packages ORDER BY [Package
> Name];".  I can see the values when I run that SQL statement as a
> query, but nothing shows up when I run it as a function of the form
> (i.e., the form opens up, the SQL statement runs, but nothing shows up
> in the combo box).  I mean literally, nothing shows up, although I can
> see there are the three place holders in the list I'm expecting, but
> no text.
>
> I'm wondering how much effect the Bound Column property has on this,
> and frankly, from the help pages, I can't understand what it's
> supposed to indicate.  The Bound Column is currently 2--that's the
> value Access put into it-- but I've tried it with 0 through 3 to no
> effect.
>
> What am I missing here?

> I also suspect that the ColumnWidths property might be incorrect.  My guess
> is that it is two dimensions with the first zero, which would be why you see
> nothing because the first column is your one and only column, so if its width
> is zero it will be hidden.  Simply delete the entry for the ColumnWidths
> property.
>
> You might also find that the ColumnCount property is not 1.  If so change it
> to 1.

That's exactly what it was, thanks!

0
Monty

how do i view different mail boxes
I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? btoonhoule <btoonhoule@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have set up different email accounts in outlook 2000. How do I > choose which mail box I view when I go to outlook? Using IMO or C/W mode? -- Brian Tillman ...

Database SQL query
Sorry for this post here. If someone knows a group I can go to for this question, please let me know. I have a program in MFC that accesses and updates an Access database. The problem is I can't figure out how to add a field which contains a word with a single apostrophe ie (St. Vincent's). I'm using the CDaoDatabase and CDaoRecordset classes. I understand that DAO is interpreting the apostrophe as some type of terminator but there must be a way around the issue. MS Access has information on how to do it in Access VB but that doesn't seem to work in MFC. Thanks Ughh ...

List box
I am trying to use the list box function from the control toolbar. I am not sure how to get the listings I want in the list box. Is there certain VB coding that is needed? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Todd No VBA code needed. In Design mode, click on your list box and select Properties from the Control toolbox (or right-click your list box and select Properties), then scroll down to the ListFillRange Property and indicate the cell range address that has the items you want to appear in the box (i.e., A1:A10). Then exit out of design mode and test your list box. MRO "Tod...

Concatenate Multi-Select List Box Items
I need to use the chosen items in a multi-select List Box as concatenated text in another control on a subform. This text will be part of a large amount of concatenated text. How do I do this? I did find info here about using such items in a query but it was way over my head and I couldn't figure out how to convert that idea to this issue so please don't just refer me to that w/o some other explanation for this novice. For example, if the user selects: Frt Bumper, Grille, & Headlamp in the List Box, I want to then somehow concatenate those selections into a sente...

Filtering a combo box using a combo box
All, I am trying to filter the records from a table displayed in a combo box using a combo box on the same form. I built a query and set the criteria as Me![FormName]![Combo_box]. This allowed me to filter the list, but it did not do exactly what I wanted. When the first combo box is blank, the second one is also blank. Is there anyway I can get the second combo box to display all of the records when the first box is blank? Thank you for your help. Regards, John Try a criteria in the second combo of: Like Forms!YourFormName!Combo1Name & "*" -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http:/...

colour change of dated box

Great PLains and SQL Replication
Hi We have a client that want to use SQL Replication for Great Plains (to a standby server). Can any one send me a URL on SQL Replication for Great Plains Databases? i.e. what type of replication is supported and what is not supported (plus the reason why its not supported)? I cannot find anything on Partnersource for Great Plains Databases SQL Replication Regards James Hello, From my experiences with SQL and GP. I would implement SQL Log shipping. You can write the SQL code or purchase the Enterprise version of SQL to do this. The reason behind this is there a several non ...

Combo Box on Forms
Hi, I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being Other. If the user selects other I want them to be able to input what they want so that it will go into the table instead of just the "Other". I just am not really sure on how to do that. Can you help? Thanks, Jaime In design view click on VIEW - Properties and the the combo. Then change Limit To List to No. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "jseger22@yahoo.com" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using a combo box on a form that has several items w/ one being > Other. If the use...

Error while importing OFC statements
Hi, all. A message appears when I try to import a OFC file with statements from my bank :"C:\<money_dir>\20896.ofc cannot be imported. Please confirm you have the correct file, or select another file to import", while using MS Money 2006. The same process DID work for MS Money 2004, but do not seem to work with MSMNY 2006 anymore. I have already checked file extensions and .ofc files are already matched to MS Money Import Handler, just as OFX files are. Any help on this !? Manually importing and reconcilin would be just to manual work for me ... Thanks in advance. Bes...

sent box
how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? -- deb deb wrote: > how do i get the emails in the sent box to show sent to instead of sent from? Add/remove whatever columns you want. Right-click on the header row and select Field Chooser. i may have not explained myself too well i dont want to sort by the "to" column i want the header on the email to show "to" not "from" i think the problem might be that this is not the default sent file, its just a folder named "sent" its for my boss, he ha...

SQL program acknowledging worksheets
Hi all, In Microsoft Headquarters we need to acknowledge worksheets after it has been processed correctly (that way it is archived). We have a lot of worksheets which are processed fine into the stores operation manager and needs to be acknowledged. To do this by hand will take a lot of time, so I wrote a SQL program which should be able to acknwledge a lot of worksheets within a few seconds. The only problem I have is that I am just starting with programming in SQL. Could someone tell me whether the program below is correct for acknowledging the worksheets, maybe I missed a few tables...

Combo Boxes
Someone sent me an Excel document where each of the cells in I1:I312 are combo boxes. When you click off of those cells, the down arrow disappears. The list for the combo boxes are cells AA1 and AB1 (AA1 is New and AB1 is Existing). Please explain how this was done? Also, can you please tell me if it is possible to make New and Existing autocorrect entries. So even though the choices are New and Existing, if you hit N, New appears, and if you hit E, Existing appears. Thanks!! It sounds like Data|Validation. Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVa...

Separator in combo box
hi, Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something like a separator in menus? thanks, Behzad Try :- http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/zsepcmb.asp http://www.codeproject.com/combobox/customcombo.asp -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] http://www.voidnish.com /* MVP tips tricks and essays web site */ http://blog.voidnish.com /* My blog on C++/CLI, MFC, Whidbey, CLR... */ "behzad" <b@b.com> wrote in message news:%23fVB3em5EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > hi, > Is it possible to have a line separator in a combo box? I mean something > like...

Edit box should support languages like japanese,chineese etc
Hi wht im trying to ask is.. 1. In my application, all the labels r in english only. 2.If i change the content of one text box in japanese or chineese language , [Text box value is the title for another dialog] 4.After i changed the content, i want the title to be displayed in japanese or chineese language. Note: I want only that text box to be changed ,,not the entire application.. so How can i able to support multibyte characters in MFC controls CEdit --text boxes.. Plz reply They do. You have to be in a Unicode app, and you have to have selected a Unicode font that has Chin...

Text boxes on graphs
How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The grid lines are still visible and run through the text box, cluttering it up. Thanks right-click text box choose -- 'Format Text Box' from shortcut menu colors and lines tab change fill color to white Warm Regards, Crystal remote programming and training Access Basics 8-part free tutorial that covers essentials in Access http://www.AccessMVP.com/strive4peace * (: have an awesome day :) * Drew wrote: > How do you make a text box hide the grid lines behind it on a graph? The > grid line...

Multiple Combo Boxes Highlighted
Hi, I have a problem with something in VB6. I have 4 combo boxes with individual names (not an array) located on an SSTab object. When I select another tab and then return to the tab these boxes are located on, each of them appears to be highlighted in blue. I add values to them only when loading the form so I'm at a loss as to why this happens ? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jen. "Jennifer Ward" <jward@comcast.net> wrote in message news:eq5HrcBrKHA.6064@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a problem with someth...

HELP !! Combo box to feed other combo boxes
Hi, I have a form with a stock list. One field is [Dealer Allocated] so stock can be allocated to a specific dealer - this is a combo box (combo1) for single allocations. I now also want to be able to update this combo box for several records in bulk. I thought I would do this by having a second combo box in the footer of the form which the user selects the dealer from and then clicks a button which looks for first record without dealer allocated and updates the value of combo1 to the value of combo2. This would then be enclosed in a Do Loop for specified number of records. I can...

Why don't my Statement Completion work properly?
Firstly, it does not show the data member or member function other than those defined by me; e.g. if I define class CMyDialog::public CDialog { int m_data; int mFunc(); } Only m_data and mFunc() will appear in the statement completion list. When I copy the entire workspace to another PC, it works very well. Would you please tell me what's the matter? Secondly, when my code grows to certain length, the Statement Completion list does not appear at all! Thanks very much! It could be the .ncb file is corrupted or something or that you have it turned off in install of devstudio b...

Set Text Box Control To Blank
I have a procedure that executes on the beforeupdate event of a textbox (text24). The procedure works out the checkdigit for the number entered and if there is a discrepancy, a message box appears telling the user the number is wrong. What I'd like to do is modify the code as such so that when a discrepancy is found and the user clicks ok on the message box, focus is returned to (text24) and set to blank so that the faulty number is gone. Here is the code I am using.... It's quite crude as I'm only at beginner level, but hey, it works! Private Sub Text24_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Int...

text box margin settings
I've changed the text box margins, saved the file and closed the file. But when I reopen the file, the changes are not there. What gives?!? don The text box margins in an EXISTING text box have changed? Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.kvalheim.org >-----Original Message----- >I've changed the text box margins, saved the file and >closed the file. But when I reopen the file, the changes >are not there. What gives?!? > >don >. > This issue is unknown in Publisher any version. If you mean it is not saving the defaults on next Text F...

Flag box
Is it possible to add some flagbox in a column? How? Thanks Rossella Depends on what you mean by a flagbox. If you mean some sort of indicator, you could put Y or N in a column (X or leave empty??) and use data|filter|autofilter to "flag" certain entries. Rossella wrote: > > Is it possible to add some flagbox in a column? > How? > Thanks > Rossella -- Dave Peterson I meant the square with the x on it ..sorry if my explanation wasn't enough I find this technique pretty easy... Select the range Format|cells|number tab|custom category In the "type:&qu...

Populate field based on combo box
I know this shouldn't be so hard - but I'm having a brain ... or something! On a form, I would like to select a District Number from a combo box and have the District Name appear in a text field. My form is based on a query. I know somehow I need to add criteria to my query to point to the info in the combo box but I'm not sure exactly where to put this criteria. Should the combo box field for the District Number on the form be based on the Districts table or is this the field that comes from the query? Or is it the District Name field that comes from the query? I have neve...

combo
have placed a subform, which gives the Price. It is based on the Query. I have given a criteria in the query like [forms]![mainform]![productid]. So, when I select a product from a combo box, on the main form, I should see the price on the subform. The problem, is it does not refresh. It still shows the same price for the earlier product. But, when I move, it gets refreshed. Can I have a code , so that I should see the price as soon as I select the product from the combo box . On the After Update event of your combo box put the following: [Forms]![frmMainForm]![sfrmSubfo...

combo box
Hi: I have a combobox which shows two values: name and age, after I choose "the value", the combo box just shows the "name". I need to be able to print both values. How can I tell the combo box to leave the 2 fields onscreen? Hello Gabito, You can only display one column in the Combo Box. Is this Combo Box on a worksheet? If so, the TextColumn is the one that is displayed and the BoundColumn is the value returned by the combo box. You could make the TextColumn 1 (Name) and the BoundColumn 2 (Age). Then set the Linked cell to an adjacent cell just to the ri...

Combo Box Selection 06-18-07
I have a form that has 3 subforms. The main form has a combobox with selection for Groups. According to the selection of the Group - the subforms should show info for that group. In the Second Subform - this shows Group Details - there is a combo box for Section - where stock from the group will get transferred to the selected section. The choice for Section here should also show in the next subform.ComboBox Section. As inthe next subform this shows Section Details. At the moment - the Section Selection in SectionDetails subform is not updating the value that has been selected. Please hel...