Combine 2 data bases

I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2 Bank
Accounts/Statements.  They are both very similar. Is there a way I can link
the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc.

Thanks for any help
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables in
your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database.  To do
so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the new
database.

But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing databases
into one, rather than producing a third one?  That's certainly the way I'd
go.  You seem to want to make life much too complicated ;-)

HTH,

Rob

"Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2 Bank
> Accounts/Statements.  They are both very similar. Is there a way I can
> link
> the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc.
>
> Thanks for any help

0
Rob
4/11/2007 12:45:45 PM
Thanks for the information Rob.  The two data bases have pretty well
identical tables and relationships as they relate to 2 different Bank
accounts.
How would I go about merging the two into just the one? as the Financial
Data needs to be seperate for Bank Reconciliations and reporting and then
combined for Taxation purposes.

Thanks again

"Rob Parker" wrote:

> You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables in
> your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database.  To do
> so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the new
> database.
>
> But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing databases
> into one, rather than producing a third one?  That's certainly the way I'd
> go.  You seem to want to make life much too complicated ;-)
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
>

> "Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2 Bank
> > Accounts/Statements.  They are both very similar. Is there a way I can
> > link
> > the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc.
> >
> > Thanks for any help

Hi Roger,

Without details of your tables/relationships, it's difficult to be exact.
However, I expect that all you'd probably need is an additional field in one
(or maybe more) table(s) to hold the AccountNumber, which you can then use
in your queries to separate the records as desired.  You can fill this field
for each database using an Update query; and then merge the tables via a
series of Append queries.

If you've got autonumber fields used as primary keys, which are used as
foreign keys in relationships, it becomes somewhat more complicated, as the
primary key will change when you do the append, but the foreign keys will
not.  You will need to copy the existing autonumber field to a new field
before doing the append, and later use this field to link with the related
tables in update queries to change the foreign keys to the correct new
values.

> Thanks for the information Rob.  The two data bases have pretty well
> identical tables and relationships as they relate to 2 different Bank
> accounts.
> How would I go about merging the two into just the one? as the Financial
> Data needs to be seperate for Bank Reconciliations and reporting and then
> combined for Taxation purposes.
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Rob Parker" wrote:
>
>> You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables in
>> your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database.  To
>> do
>> so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the
>> new
>> database.
>>
>> But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing
>> databases
>> into one, rather than producing a third one?  That's certainly the way
>> I'd
>> go.  You seem to want to make life much too complicated ;-)
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> "Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2
>> >Bank
>> > Accounts/Statements.  They are both very similar. Is there a way I can
>> > link
>> > the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help

0
Rob
4/12/2007 2:03:41 AM
And one more thing ...

Make backup copies of each database before you start ;-)

Rob

"Rob Parker" <NOSPAMrobpparker@optusnet.com.au.REMOVETHIS> wrote in message
> Hi Roger,
>
> Without details of your tables/relationships, it's difficult to be exact.
> However, I expect that all you'd probably need is an additional field in
> one (or maybe more) table(s) to hold the AccountNumber, which you can then
> use in your queries to separate the records as desired.  You can fill this
> field for each database using an Update query; and then merge the tables
> via a series of Append queries.
>
> If you've got autonumber fields used as primary keys, which are used as
> foreign keys in relationships, it becomes somewhat more complicated, as
> the primary key will change when you do the append, but the foreign keys
> will not.  You will need to copy the existing autonumber field to a new
> field before doing the append, and later use this field to link with the
> related tables in update queries to change the foreign keys to the correct
> new values.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
>
> "Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the information Rob.  The two data bases have pretty well
>> identical tables and relationships as they relate to 2 different Bank
>> accounts.
>> How would I go about merging the two into just the one? as the Financial
>> Data needs to be seperate for Bank Reconciliations and reporting and then
>> combined for Taxation purposes.
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> "Rob Parker" wrote:
>>
>>> You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables
>>> in
>>> your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database.  To
>>> do
>>> so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the
>>> new
>>> database.
>>>
>>> But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing
>>> databases
>>> into one, rather than producing a third one?  That's certainly the way
>>> I'd
>>> go.  You seem to want to make life much too complicated ;-)
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>>> "Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Rob
4/12/2007 2:07:21 AM
"Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the information Rob.  The two data bases have pretty well
> identical tables and relationships as they relate to 2 different Bank
> accounts.
> How would I go about merging the two into just the one? as the Financial
> Data needs to be seperate for Bank Reconciliations and reporting and then
> combined for Taxation purposes.
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Rob Parker" wrote:
>
>> You can design (yet another) database , which uses links to the tables in
>> your two existing databases, and build the reports in that database.  To
>> do
>> so, use the File | Get External Data | Link Tables ... menu item in the
>> new
>> database.
>>
>> But why would you want to? Why not simply merge your two existing
>> databases
>> into one, rather than producing a third one?  That's certainly the way
>> I'd
>> go.  You seem to want to make life much too complicated ;-)
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> "Roger Bell" <RogerBell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have designed 2 seperate data bases relating to Finances that have 2
>> >Bank
>> > Accounts/Statements.  They are both very similar. Is there a way I can
>> > link
>> > the 2 for the purpose of designing reports etc.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help

0
i_takeuti

Address Book Problem #2
Outlook version: 2003 When in a Distribution List, I click on [Select Members] and get this MS Office Outlook message: The list could not be displayed. The Contacts Folder associated with this address could not be opened; It may have been moved or delected, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Outlook Office Outlook Help. [OK] This is a recent problem. Advice? -- Larry Bohen www.audiobooksonline.com Sounds like you have an invalid reference to a Contacts Folder. reset those references here: Tools > E-mail a...

Upgrade Path sbs2000/sbs2003r2 and CRM1.2/3.0
We currently have CRM 1.2 installed on a sbs2000 server. We are looking to upgrade this server to sbs2003r2 and we also want to upgrade CRM from 1.2 to 3.0. Can someone recommend the best upgrade path? This is partial book smarts and partial experience... Book smarts: Upgrade to CRM 3.0 on the SBS2000 box (assuming SQL 2000) Experience: Redeploy to SBS2k3R2 box using CRM 3.0 redeployment tool Upgrade to Rollup 1 My experience was to take it from a 3.0 to 3.0 on R2, so I had a SQL 2000 -> SQL 2005 on a new domain. I recommend that you backup and follow the directions to a T. The up...

outlook 2003 has 2 "send" labels in the send receive drop down
hi, sometimes, i have to reboot my machine because the send recieve button in outlook does not work, when i go to the drop down menu, i dont see any of my "accounts" listed, and I see the word "send", then the next line is duplicated and also says 'send". the only way to get back to "normal" is to reboot the whole system until it happens again. This usually happens once per day. Close Outlook. Do a search for the outcmd.dat file (this is a hidden file so you'll have to either tell Windows Explorer to unhide it or search hidden files and folder...

Email forwarding #2
Is there anyway to get your outlook emails forwarded automatically???? Hi! Microsoft Outlook, not Express? 1). Tools\Rules and Alerts... 2). Our Redirect add-in (www.mapilab.com), it redirect email and new recipient will receive the full copy of message, including internet headers and the same sender as in original email. > -----Original Message----- > From: Jason [mailto:Jason@nts.uk.net] > Posted At: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 3:46 PM > Posted To: microsoft.public.outlook > Conversation: Email forwarding > Subject: Email forwarding > > Is there anyway to get your ...

CRM for a service based business
Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to proceed ? Have installed CRM on a trial basis and found it does just about everything required. Other than the fact that most of our work revolves around 3rd party maintenance ie our customers send us to sites (which may be other customers or end user sites) to do work. There appears to be no simple way to attach a site to a case which is not the site of that customer. Tried to add the account field to the case view but cannot do that as a lookup. I suspect this requires unsupported modification to CRM. If someone thinks otherwise or has a suggestion ...

calendar #2
is there a formula for a continues monthly calendar? Hi tg not exactly sure what you're after here but if you enter 01/01/05 in a cell and drag down (autofill handle, little back cross bottom right of cell) it will increment by a day for each row. If you'ld like more assistance please feel free to post back with additional details. Cheers JulieD "tg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:429d01c4afae$b110b910$a601280a@phx.gbl... > is there a formula for a continues monthly calendar? ...

Setting up Outlook 2003 #2
I am in the process of setting up Outlook 2003 on my new computer. I believe I may have click the wrong answer and have put in incorrect information for outlook to start. I keep getting a box that ask for Username and passcode. When I put in the information I think it should be, I receive this message: Unable to open your default e-mail. The file C:\Documents and Setting\Owner\Local Setting\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.ost is not an offline folder file. Please tell me what I should do. When I click OK. Outlook closes. Thanks. -- Trying to keep up with technology G...

Mails Combined
HI, I mistakenly delete all mails from Inbox and then found them on the deleted Items and selected all and ask to move folders back to Inbox. the problem is all mails were combined into one email and moved back in to Inbox as a single email. How do i go back to the original version. How do i uncombined all the mails in to individual mails from the right recipient? Please help ASAP.. Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com ...

RSS feed #2
I do not want Outlook as an RSS client. Every time I click on a feed, Outlook grabs it! How can I stop this so I can use live bookmarks etc? THANKS Robin "a novice" Hello RC Crabbe, I can do it for you. Please reply if you want it. Regards Andrej > I do not want Outlook as an RSS client. Every time I click on a feed, > Outlook grabs it! How can I stop this so I can use live bookmarks etc? > > > THANKS > Robin "a novice" > ...

sum by coding without 0 #2
hi in the following program if there is no value in the cells a1 and b1 it returns 0 Public Sub Add2Cells() Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End Sub i need only the output if the both the cells have the data will you can tell me that Public Sub Add2Cells() If Range("A1").Value <> "" And .Range("B1").Value <> "" Then Range("C1").Value = Range("A1").Value + Range("B1").Value End If End Sub -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no ...

help !!! lost floppy 2 / 2 of my back up file
I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i don't have any and it aborts the restore process. Any idea, what can i do? In microsoft.public.money, Fife wrote: >I still have floppy number 1 and it's fine, >Is there a way I can recover at least the data on that floppy? No. > >On doing the restore, after finishing floppy 1, asks for floppy 2, but i >don't have any and it aborts the restore process. > >Any idea, what...

Automatic settling of EDC Batch #2
Is there a way to stelle an EDC batch automatically in RMS, or an add-on that accomplishes this? This would be very handy. Thank you in advance. ...

merge/combine workshhets
I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of rows Try this Jeff http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff224" <Jeff224@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6790506-2888-4F4D-80EA-BB0D9F9B27A2@microsoft.com... >I need to merge about 75 worksheets into one spreadsheet on a regular basis - > all have exactly the same format/layout etc back can vary in the number of > rows Or http://www.rondebru...

Notification if no external e-mail recieved for over 2 hours.
Recently the SMTP authentication settings were changed so that no external e-mails could be recieved. There was no way to see that this was the case until someone complained. Is there any way to monitor externally recieved e-mails so that if none are recieved after a certain amount of time for a notification to be generated? In this case a script using telnet could be used to check if e-mails could be recieved externally, but I was looking more for something like if no external e-mails recieved by any users for two hours then create notification. I can't seem to think of any way to che...

BillPay #2
When will Money start using the the free MyCheckFree.com? This a free service now. What gives. Boo Microsoft. I may need to switch. Yikes! So why am I socked with a $5.95 monthly fee? Just because I use it within the Money program? I don't use my bank so not sure why I get the fee. Thanks! "Bogee" <Bogee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C06B9868-442D-4841-98D3-0C85524F86ED@microsoft.com... > When will Money start using the the free MyCheckFree.com? This a free > service > now. What gives. > > Boo Microsoft. I may need to switch. ...

Finding the combination that appears more times
Hi everybody i have a list on excel 2007 that displays the purchase of items on columns A:E, each column showing one (1) item I want to find what combination of items appears more times, especifically, which combination of four (4) is the favorite mix eg: A B C D F A C D E F B C D E F B C D F Z in this example, the winner would be (B, C, D, E) as it appears 3 times the main problem is that I have over 1,000 rows and trying with =SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIF(A1:E1,$N$1:$R$1)) por each combination would take forever... is there a simpler, quicker ...

forecast function help #2
Just to clarify that formula, am i right to say this? =ROUND(FORECAST($E$1,B2:D2,$B$1:$D$1),0) $E$1 - is selecting the forcast for year 2004 B2:D2 - is selecting all the data bar the years in the top row $B$1:$D$1 - is being used to predict the outcome for 2004 Is that right? Thanks again -- metho ----------------------------------------------------------------------- method's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26644 Hi B1:D1 are the x values there B2:D2 the associated y ...

convert #2
I have my checks on version 6 of quicken. It's backup file is qdb. It wouldn't run in this new vista machine so I bought the 2009 version. It says in black and white in a hard to find instruction that it has changed format and will not import my old files, it uses qif. I returned it and got my refund check today. How about that? My question. If ms money will import my old files, I want to buy it. If it will not, I don't want it. I have been looking and can not find anywhere it says one or the other. Glenn In microsoft.public.money, Glenn wrote: >I have my checks on ...

Can I format an entire row based on the value of a single cell?
I would like to use the conditional formatting feature to format an entire row rather than just a single cell. For example: If the cell value = "Total" then the entire row is bold. select your range (multiple rows???). Then with A3 (say) the activecell in that selection: format|Conditional formatting formula is: =$a3="total" apply a nice format LTShelley wrote: > > I would like to use the conditional formatting feature to format an entire > row rather than just a single cell. For example: If the cell value = "Total" > then the entire row is bo...

Combining Publications
Can I combine two different publications into one? Suzi wrote: > Can I combine two different publications into one? ========================================= Personally, I would simply open two instances of Publisher (one document in each) / tile the two screens...and copy/paste. Maybe the following link will be useful: Combining Publisher Documents http://tinyurl.com/2lpj5w -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital Image MVP Digital Image Highlights and FAQs http://tinyurl.com/aczzp Notice This is not tech support I am a volunteer Solutions that wo...

transfer of data
Is there a way to transfer data that is in outlook to an exce spreadsheet. I have name, address, city, state, zip, all phone numbers that I woul like to send to certain cells in a spreadsheet. If this is possible, what code could I write help me do this? :confused: Thank You Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi in Outlook you can save your data as *.csv file. Open this exported file in Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "daniels012 >" <<daniels012.1byt7v@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:daniels012.1byt7v@excel...

RANDOM WEIGHT (PRICE EMBEDDED) EAN/UPC BARCODES IN STORE VER 2.0
HELLO , I CREATED THE RANDOM WEIGHT CODE STARTING WITH (201000100000) THE BREAK UP OF THE CODE IS 20 = PREFIX 10001=ITEM LOOKUPCODE 00000=WEIGHING PRICE AFTER SETTING THE EAN13 CODE FOR THE WEIGHING ITEM I TRIED TO SCAN THE BARCODE WHICH IS CREATED IN WEIGHING SCALE . BUT THE POS IS NOT PICKING UP THIS CODE PLEASE ADVICE THE SOLUTION FOR THIS 1. make sure you've turn the utilize EAN/UPC option on. 2. HHIIIIIPPPDDC HH - header identifier, must be started w/ 02 or 20 IIIII - item lookup code (SKU in the scale) PPP - price to the left decimal DD - price to the right decimal C - che...

Time Formula #2
Hi I run Excel 2K I download data from a mainframe. This data has a date & time format in it (dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss) I work in a place that has a 3 shift cycle - day shift, afternoon shift, night shift. Day shift starts at 7:20am and ends at 15:29pm Afternoon shift starts at 15:30pm and ends at 23:19pm Night shift starts at 23:20pm amd ends at 7:19am I need a formula that looks at the cell with the date/time in it and displays the word DAY (for the time frame of day shift), AFTERNOON (for the timeframe of afternoon shift) and NIGHT (for the timeframe of night shift) In my previous ...

Combining 2 Excel (xls) files
I have 2 xls workbooks with different sheet names and both with different range names. I would like to combine them both into one workbook so that I don't have to re-create all of the range names. Is there a way to do that? -- LAF ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346017 Hi LAF- Open both files (let's call them A & B, and assume A will be your "combined" file). Working i...

How to Combine Data in Different Columns
Hi Everyone I need help in this issue. I have tried many ways though some wer successful but they were not efficient. I have say 5 columns of data and the data could be on the same rows o all 5 columns or on different rows hence if I need to combine all th data of these 5 columns, I would have to sort or filter each of the manually and copy and paste to a different worksheet or column. This i very tedious and time consuming. I also tried to write a macro to loo for data in one column then put them into another column but i was no successful. However, experts like you guys shouldn't have ...