close form without required field msg box

How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping up
to enter required fields.
I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button.  I want the form to
close without msgs.
--
deb
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Deb

How will Access "know" when it is OK to NOT require fields, or when it MUST
require fields?  Maybe you don't need required fields?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping up
> to enter required fields.
> I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button.  I want the form
> close without msgs.
> --
> deb

0
Jeff
7/31/2007 5:22:35 PM
If the user closes the form without filling in the required fields, the
record will be deleted. This is working.  however it displays the required
field msg box before deleting the record and closing the form.
--
deb

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Deb
>
> How will Access "know" when it is OK to NOT require fields, or when it MUST
> require fields?  Maybe you don't need required fields?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>
> "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping up
> > to enter required fields.
> > I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button.  I want the form
> > close without msgs.
> > --
> > deb

It sounds like your user could close the form one time and get his/her work
deleted and close it another time and get it saved.  How do they know what's
happening?

> If the user closes the form without filling in the required fields, the
> record will be deleted. This is working.  however it displays the required
> field msg box before deleting the record and closing the form.
> --
> deb
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Deb
>>
>> How will Access "know" when it is OK to NOT require fields, or when it
>> MUST
>> require fields?  Maybe you don't need required fields?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping
>> > up
>> > to enter required fields.
>> > I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button.  I want the
>> > form
>> > close without msgs.
>> > --
>> > deb

0
Jeff
7/31/2007 5:39:09 PM
Deb, in the property sheet change the required=yes to required=no for all
fields in question.
In the form_close event, have your code check each textbox that was formerly
'required'. If any are null, delete the record.
If all are OK, save the record.

HTH, UpRider

"deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If the user closes the form without filling in the required fields, the
> record will be deleted. This is working.  however it displays the required
> field msg box before deleting the record and closing the form.
> --
> deb
>

> "Jeff Boyce" wrote:
>
>> Deb
>>
>> How will Access "know" when it is OK to NOT require fields, or when it
>> MUST
>> require fields?  Maybe you don't need required fields?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Jeff Boyce
>> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
>>
>> "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > How can I close a form with required fields without the msg box popping
>> > up
>> > to enter required fields.
>> > I do not want the user to have to hit the escape button.  I want the
>> > form
>> > close without msgs.
>> > --
>> > deb

0
UpRider

ThisWorkbook.Close question
Please take a look at the code below: Public Sub DumbFoo ( ) ThisWorkbook.Close() Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = -1 ThisWorkbook.Save() End Sub Is it safe to assume that the code below the "ThisWorkbook.Close()" line will NOT be executed??? My question is basically: Does all VBA code stop executing once a .Close() function is called??? Thank you! I don't believe the code would execute at all because of the parentheses after Close. It would throw an error an tell you that something is missing, or type mismatch. But, if you did...

How to Enable Close(cross) button of MB_YESNO messagebox
Hi, I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO message box. Can anybody tell me how to do this. Klic. "Klic" <rohit.turambekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186120969.045121.287770@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO > message box. > Can anybody tell me how to do this. Why? If there is a valid answer other than yes or no, then how about a yes/no/cancel message box in which (I would guess) the x button is equivalent to cancel. That would be more standard. Da...

Combo look up, format from number to text field
Hi I was given this code to look up on two combo box name Customer Number Posting Date Period which then a third combo box would look up on these two combo box an sum the value Amount field in a table for example Customer Number C00001 Posting Date 2009/07 Amount £5000 This is my code so far =DSum("Amount", " July 09 - On Billings and Adjustments Data Query ", " Format (Customer No#, "text) = " & Format (cboCustomerNumber.Value, "text") & " AND Format(Posting Date Period, "...

Outlook closes and closes
Hi I have a strange bug. Windows XP Sp2 and outlook from office 20003 with all service packs applied. When I start outlook from windows out of standby postion, outlook immediately after the splash screen closes without reporting any errors in the eventlog or in any other log. If I start outlook the 10th time (or so) it stabilizes and does not close anymore and everything works again. info: My machine is fully patched and I am well known with keeping things healthy. Outlook.exe Version: 11.0.6353.0 Any ideas what to do? Thanks... try the detect and repair in the help menu. >----...

closing
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Craig That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7. We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors ...

Display standard time without "AM or PM" while entering in military time
Hello, I am creating a time sheet. Any help would be appreciated. I have 4 cells: 1. IN (time cell) 2. OUT ( time cell) 3. Lunch (time cell) 4. Total Hrs(number cell) When I enter in military such as 16:30 I would like it to display 4:3 withou the "PM or AM" I have tried the format (h:mm) and custom options and have bee unable to display as "00:00". Can you please help. Thank yo -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yes. create or modify your own format. go to Format>cells>number>custom. modify - scroll down to a format h:mm and high light it. ...

OWA forms
Hello, I have over 300 OWA users who wish to have the capability to request vacation time using a form similar to outlook vacation form using OWA, Is this possible? and if so, is there a procedure or an example I can follow to create such forms? Thank you in advance. That's not an Outlook question, I'm afraid, since desktop Outlook forms = do not translate to OWA at all. Exchange development docs start at = http://msdn.microsoft.com/exchange/ with discussions in the = microsoft.public.exchange.development newsgroup or on the Web at = http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForu...

field needs to be in order...
when i open my form it has a subform. in the subform there is a Vendor field. how can i make it to when i open the form the Vendor field is already in abc order. Every time i open it i have to click the A-Z button... Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 20:30:23 GMT, "stephendeloach via AccessMonster.com" <u32891@uwe> wrote: >when i open my form it has a subform. in the subform there is a Vendor field. >how can i make it to when i open the form the Vendor field is already in abc >order. Every time i open it i have to clic...

Excel Form and message box
Hi there, I'm running Excel 2000. I am just learning so please excuse my questions if they sound simple. To put this as simply as possible I have a spreadsheet of children's names. I've created a form that is activated by a control button. What I want to do is choose a child's name from the combo box and eventually delete that child from the spreadsheet. I have an "are you sure" type msgbox but cannot get the yes/no side of it functioning correctly. I've worked on this for hours and have just given up. This is my code so far: Private Sub cboRemChild_...

Help
When creating or fowarding an e-mail message using outlook 2000, scrolling through my "recipients" list (contacts) causes the program to close unexpectedly. So, I click "new", click "to", switch to my "contacts" list, and as I scroll through the names, the program just closes. Is there a possibility that one of my contact records is corrupt? I have opened all of my contacts and saved them without an error. This problem developed shortly after the install of Office 2000's calender update, and basic security update. I have since fully u...

Forms to Public Folder from other Organization are blank
Our company has two Exchange organizations (don't ask). Organization A has forms published in the Organizational Forms Library. Organization B does not. User A moves from Org A to Org B and wants to use a form they have used before in Org A. This form posts to a public folder in Org A. Since the form is not published in Org B they use a form that was previously forwarded to them and then forward it back to the public folder. However, when it arrives at the public folder there is no form and the email is blank. If the same form is forwarded to a user or DL in Org A, it shows up as ex...

Opening up Access in Form View
I have created a form in Acces that is a main menu. When I click on the database icon I want the database to open in the main menu form. How do I do that? Thank you! For pre-2007 versions select Tools | Startup on the main database menu bar, and then select the relevant form as the Display Form/Page property. I can't speak for 2007, but I imagine it will be broadly similar. Ken Sheridan Stafford, England Alaska1 wrote: >I have created a form in Acces that is a main menu. When I click on the >database icon I want the database to open in the main menu form. Ho...

Updating a form if field has been removed so that I don't get a me
Hi I have created a form. Due to modifications to the form, I no longer need a field which I have included in the original form. Before I deleted the field, I had made a back up of my database. When I delete the field, let's call it "ProductCodeOld", whenever I open up the database, I get a text box saying that the "ProductCodeOld" is not in the form or words to that effect. How do I remove a field from a form without this type of message appearing? Thank you in advance. Forest8 - You may have code in the form that references the old field. ...

Workflow Rule -> Closing Activity
I set up a Manual Workflow Rule for Contacts to close out Holiday Season cards sent. The rule uses a condition to check for Contacts with cards sent and then Creates an Activity to add to each of the appropriate Contacts for future reference. What else do I need to do to close out all of activites rather than 1 at a time? Here is the workflow rule if that helps: if Contact.holidaycardlist = 1 then Letter: Send Holiday Card endif -- Dan W Systems Engineer Denver, CO ...

Auto-close Quotes when Closing Opportunity
We would like the ability to close an opportunity and have it ask if you want to close all the associated quotes. Right now, it says you can’t close the opp until you close all the open quotes and you have to each one of those one by one. Barring that, if we could select multiple quotes and click on a menu item (Close all selected quotes), that would be most useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Data file not closed properly #3
I saw several post regarding this, but none had any answers, so I starting a new post. There is also nothing in the KB about this. Since othe people are having the same problem Microsoft should take a look at it. I get the message "The data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly" every time I close Outlook 2003. It runs a quick check/fix and starts up fine. I am running XP pro w/ SP-2. Outlook 2003 w/ SP-1 All patches and updates are current. My notebook was just rebuilt for so I could get a clean slate for the office 2003 install, (reformat drive and new ins...

Outlook2003 open and closed immediatly
I checked event log, nothing. And this happened when I just reboot my machine and first time tried to open Outlook, still same problem. But I found, when I double click anywhere in the Outlook Windows even it only gave me 0.5 second, then it won't close. Andy -------------------------------------------------------------- >>Look in task manager - processes, and see if multiple >>instances are running. If so, end all of them and try >>starting again. I had similar problem w/user, posted >>above. >>>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>>My O...

double-click to new form in Access 2003
An application (which I am not familiar with) was written in Access 2002. There is a form with a subform where double-clicking on a row is supposed to go to another form using the information from the selected row in the subform. The user's Access has been upgraded to Access 2003 and double-clicking now brings him to an empty form rather than the next form according to the fields of the selected row. I have Access 2002. However on my computer, double-clicking doesn't do anything. The Action on On Dbl Clk on the fields in the Details section of the subform of the main form is OpenF...

Outlook Closes After Closing an Email
When I click the 'X' to close an email after reading it, Outlook closes (or tries to close, but I get a warning because I have templates in my Outbox). This only seems to happen when I close a new email. I have Outlook 2003. Thank you. ...

Drop Down Boxes #12
Is there a way to add a column of numbers in excel and then hide the column of numbers and have the answer show up as a drop down box so that when you click on the down arrow you see the numbers that make up that formula - Like using the outline function where you can expand and see the details or collapse and only see the answer - except with a drop down box. ...

Display Count of records from subform on Main form
I need to show a count of records for doc on main form. Doc info is on main form and list of pts is on subform. I have entered an unbound text box on the main form and have tried DCount, ABSSum and Count all I get is 0. This is what I have entered: =DCount([ID]) or ABS(Sum([myfrom].[ID]) and =Count([ID]). Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Thank you. Try it this way: Create a query with the needed table. Add the id-field to the grid. Total it by Count. Save the query and on the form you place an unbound field. In VBA you can do a Dlookup for the one field in the q...

Multiple queries require many logins to same database
I have several Excel workbooks that use Access as their data source (Access is linked to SQL server). Each workbooks uses a number of the Access queries to get its data; Excel forces me to login to SQL Server for each query, even though they are all through the same Access database. Is there way to override this behavior? Can't I login once and refresh all of my queries with a single database login? TIA. "Walt Palmer" <WaltPalmer02@yahoo.com> wrote ... > I have several Excel workbooks that use Access as their > data source Are you sure about that? The MS ...

Creating new Schema Fields (Error)
I have added about 14 new fields to the Contact Schema. But now when I try to add another I get and error. I checked the event logs at it states that I have exceeded the SQL Server row limit size of 8000. Is there a work around or a way of increasing the size limit on the table/schema? The 8000 byte limit is a SQL limitation, not a CRM limitation. The problem is, the out of the box schema for Contact is extremely large. There are a number of fields that are serveral hundred chars long. SQL will actually allow you to define a table with fields that "could" be larger than 8...

YE Closing Procedures
The year end closing procedures need to be more efficient and user friendly. For example, the payables and receivable management is date sensitive except for amounts since last close, vendor yearly summary etc. These modules should be fully date sensitive and the ability to enter into multiple years without caveats should exist. Year end is stressful enough ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...

Promote Form Properties Greyed Out
Hi I have created a form in infopath 2007 that is to be emailed and I would like to be able to view the properties I have selected in the form folder. I can see the headings of the properties but none of the data is being shown. When I right click on the form folder there is a check box that reads "Promote form properties and display the data as columns in a new view" however this option is greyed out. I have tried creating a Personal Files Folder but the check box still does not become available. Is there a workaround for this or another way for the data to be shown in...