Chinese/ strange characters

Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.

As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
update data.

They don't usually use to update the same records.

My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
king of special characters.

It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.

I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
and of course the data that is into.

Regards,
Marco

0
Utf
2/14/2008 10:40:02 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

6 Replies
954 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 21

There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
now and put it away for safe keeping.

Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm

Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html

I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
towards the bottom this page:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.


"Marco Silva" wrote:

> Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> 
> As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> update data.
> 
> They don't usually use to update the same records.
> 
> My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> king of special characters.
> 
> It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> 
> I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> and of course the data that is into.
> 
> Regards,
> Marco
> 
0
Utf
2/14/2008 4:48:01 PM
I have a similar problem, and I doubt the database is corrupt as such.  I 
have a reproducible problem -- I just can't figure out how to fix it.  I have 
a screen for users to edit records in a table.  You go in, call up the 
record, change what needs be, and close.  Simple. You can also change two 
fields that are stored in the table, but the source is from other tables, so 
we make them click "change owner", e.g., and it takes them to another screen 
where they can change owner.  Then they return.  
Routinely, we get "Write conflicts" when we return (we are using optimistic 
locks), and most times when you say "Save it anyway", it is OK.  But 
sometimes, we don't get the error, but it cheerfully changes about half the 
fields in the record to "Chinese".  It also alters the record ID number, 
which we don't let the users even see. If I call up the record, it comes up, 
with the "Chinese", but I cannot delete it, because it says there is no index 
matching the number, and clean database most often doesn't get rid of it.  
But it will allow me to untimately delete the record. 
I would rather a) it doesn't do that, or b) that it is easily recoverable, 
and I don't have to kick users off, or come in at weird hours.

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
> nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
> now and put it away for safe keeping.
> 
> Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> 
> Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> 
> I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> towards the bottom this page:
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> -- 
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> 
> 
> "Marco Silva" wrote:
> 
> > Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> > 
> > As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> > update data.
> > 
> > They don't usually use to update the same records.
> > 
> > My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> > king of special characters.
> > 
> > It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> > 
> > I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> > and of course the data that is into.
> > 
> > Regards,
> > Marco
> > 
0
Utf
2/14/2008 7:57:03 PM
Marco, 
I have been playing around with this and I found something interesting.  If 
you read my first reply, I mention that I get this when I update a portion of 
a record via a form called by a form used to edit the record.  I also 
mentioned that we use "optimistic" locking, because we are a multi-user site, 
with data in a back end.
Well, just for grins, in the "inner" form's properties, I set locking to 
"Edited Records" (aka pesimestic locking). So far, when I make a change, and 
return the the main edit form and make changes, I don't get the "write 
conflict" error, but more importantly, so far I haven't generated any 
"Chinese".  So maybe Microsoft's optimistic locking has a bug! 
(Imagine!).


"PhotoFinish" wrote:

> I have a similar problem, and I doubt the database is corrupt as such.  I 
> have a reproducible problem -- I just can't figure out how to fix it.  I have 
> a screen for users to edit records in a table.  You go in, call up the 
> record, change what needs be, and close.  Simple. You can also change two 
> fields that are stored in the table, but the source is from other tables, so 
> we make them click "change owner", e.g., and it takes them to another screen 
> where they can change owner.  Then they return.  
> Routinely, we get "Write conflicts" when we return (we are using optimistic 
> locks), and most times when you say "Save it anyway", it is OK.  But 
> sometimes, we don't get the error, but it cheerfully changes about half the 
> fields in the record to "Chinese".  It also alters the record ID number, 
> which we don't let the users even see. If I call up the record, it comes up, 
> with the "Chinese", but I cannot delete it, because it says there is no index 
> matching the number, and clean database most often doesn't get rid of it.  
> But it will allow me to untimately delete the record. 
> I would rather a) it doesn't do that, or b) that it is easily recoverable, 
> and I don't have to kick users off, or come in at weird hours.
> 
> "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> 
> > There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
> > nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
> > now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > 
> > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > 
> > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > 
> > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > towards the bottom this page:
> > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > -- 
> > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > 
> > 
> > "Marco Silva" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> > > 
> > > As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> > > update data.
> > > 
> > > They don't usually use to update the same records.
> > > 
> > > My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> > > king of special characters.
> > > 
> > > It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> > > 
> > > I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> > > and of course the data that is into.
> > > 
> > > Regards,
> > > Marco
> > > 
0
Utf
2/14/2008 10:29:01 PM
Sorry.  I lied.  That didn't fix it.  I just managed to break it.  So I am 
lost.  I really don't want to change everything to "pesimestic", after all, 
Access says that in a multi-user site to not use it.  ARRRGGGGHHH!

"PhotoFinish" wrote:

> Marco, 
> I have been playing around with this and I found something interesting.  If 
> you read my first reply, I mention that I get this when I update a portion of 
> a record via a form called by a form used to edit the record.  I also 
> mentioned that we use "optimistic" locking, because we are a multi-user site, 
> with data in a back end.
> Well, just for grins, in the "inner" form's properties, I set locking to 
> "Edited Records" (aka pesimestic locking). So far, when I make a change, and 
> return the the main edit form and make changes, I don't get the "write 
> conflict" error, but more importantly, so far I haven't generated any 
> "Chinese".  So maybe Microsoft's optimistic locking has a bug! 
> (Imagine!).
> 
> 
> "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> 
> > I have a similar problem, and I doubt the database is corrupt as such.  I 
> > have a reproducible problem -- I just can't figure out how to fix it.  I have 
> > a screen for users to edit records in a table.  You go in, call up the 
> > record, change what needs be, and close.  Simple. You can also change two 
> > fields that are stored in the table, but the source is from other tables, so 
> > we make them click "change owner", e.g., and it takes them to another screen 
> > where they can change owner.  Then they return.  
> > Routinely, we get "Write conflicts" when we return (we are using optimistic 
> > locks), and most times when you say "Save it anyway", it is OK.  But 
> > sometimes, we don't get the error, but it cheerfully changes about half the 
> > fields in the record to "Chinese".  It also alters the record ID number, 
> > which we don't let the users even see. If I call up the record, it comes up, 
> > with the "Chinese", but I cannot delete it, because it says there is no index 
> > matching the number, and clean database most often doesn't get rid of it.  
> > But it will allow me to untimately delete the record. 
> > I would rather a) it doesn't do that, or b) that it is easily recoverable, 
> > and I don't have to kick users off, or come in at weird hours.
> > 
> > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> > 
> > > There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
> > > nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
> > > now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > > 
> > > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > > 
> > > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > > 
> > > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > > towards the bottom this page:
> > > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > > -- 
> > > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "Marco Silva" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> > > > 
> > > > As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> > > > update data.
> > > > 
> > > > They don't usually use to update the same records.
> > > > 
> > > > My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> > > > king of special characters.
> > > > 
> > > > It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> > > > 
> > > > I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> > > > and of course the data that is into.
> > > > 
> > > > Regards,
> > > > Marco
> > > > 
0
Utf
2/14/2008 11:15:01 PM
Hello. Good that someone understand my problems.

I think that my database is not corruped. Almost shure.

I really don't know what to do. Times to times this happens. I think that is 
because someone is trying to use the same record at the same times. But most 
of the times they can do it. because this error is not regular.

I don't know what to do.

I'm trying to use the option in the forms option named Record Locks and I 
using the option Edited Records.

I tried this blocks the records against double editing.

But I had the problem after again.

WHAT TO DO??????????

I think We should put this issue on Microsoft.

I'm with you my friend.

Regards,
Marco Silva






"PhotoFinish" wrote:

> Sorry.  I lied.  That didn't fix it.  I just managed to break it.  So I am 
> lost.  I really don't want to change everything to "pesimestic", after all, 
> Access says that in a multi-user site to not use it.  ARRRGGGGHHH!
> 
> "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> 
> > Marco, 
> > I have been playing around with this and I found something interesting.  If 
> > you read my first reply, I mention that I get this when I update a portion of 
> > a record via a form called by a form used to edit the record.  I also 
> > mentioned that we use "optimistic" locking, because we are a multi-user site, 
> > with data in a back end.
> > Well, just for grins, in the "inner" form's properties, I set locking to 
> > "Edited Records" (aka pesimestic locking). So far, when I make a change, and 
> > return the the main edit form and make changes, I don't get the "write 
> > conflict" error, but more importantly, so far I haven't generated any 
> > "Chinese".  So maybe Microsoft's optimistic locking has a bug! 
> > (Imagine!).
> > 
> > 
> > "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have a similar problem, and I doubt the database is corrupt as such.  I 
> > > have a reproducible problem -- I just can't figure out how to fix it.  I have 
> > > a screen for users to edit records in a table.  You go in, call up the 
> > > record, change what needs be, and close.  Simple. You can also change two 
> > > fields that are stored in the table, but the source is from other tables, so 
> > > we make them click "change owner", e.g., and it takes them to another screen 
> > > where they can change owner.  Then they return.  
> > > Routinely, we get "Write conflicts" when we return (we are using optimistic 
> > > locks), and most times when you say "Save it anyway", it is OK.  But 
> > > sometimes, we don't get the error, but it cheerfully changes about half the 
> > > fields in the record to "Chinese".  It also alters the record ID number, 
> > > which we don't let the users even see. If I call up the record, it comes up, 
> > > with the "Chinese", but I cannot delete it, because it says there is no index 
> > > matching the number, and clean database most often doesn't get rid of it.  
> > > But it will allow me to untimately delete the record. 
> > > I would rather a) it doesn't do that, or b) that it is easily recoverable, 
> > > and I don't have to kick users off, or come in at weird hours.
> > > 
> > > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
> > > > nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
> > > > now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > > > 
> > > > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > > > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > > > 
> > > > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > > > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > > > 
> > > > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > > > towards the bottom this page:
> > > > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > > > -- 
> > > > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > > > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > > > 
> > > > 
> > > > "Marco Silva" wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > > Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> > > > > 
> > > > > As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> > > > > update data.
> > > > > 
> > > > > They don't usually use to update the same records.
> > > > > 
> > > > > My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> > > > > king of special characters.
> > > > > 
> > > > > It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> > > > > 
> > > > > I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> > > > > and of course the data that is into.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Regards,
> > > > > Marco
> > > > > 
0
Utf
2/15/2008 9:40:01 AM
I have little doubt that both you and PhotoFinish are experiencing database 
corruption problems especially if the 'chinese' characters happen to be in a 
memo field.

I suggest that both of you go to Tony Toews' and/or Allen Brown's web sites 
and work through the corruption issues.
-- 
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.

"Marco" wrote:

> Hello. Good that someone understand my problems.
> 
> I think that my database is not corruped. Almost shure.
> 
> I really don't know what to do. Times to times this happens. I think that is 
> because someone is trying to use the same record at the same times. But most 
> of the times they can do it. because this error is not regular.
> 
> I don't know what to do.
> 
> I'm trying to use the option in the forms option named Record Locks and I 
> using the option Edited Records.
> 
> I tried this blocks the records against double editing.
> 
> But I had the problem after again.
> 
> WHAT TO DO??????????
> 
> I think We should put this issue on Microsoft.
> 
> I'm with you my friend.
> 
> Regards,
> Marco Silva
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> 
> > Sorry.  I lied.  That didn't fix it.  I just managed to break it.  So I am 
> > lost.  I really don't want to change everything to "pesimestic", after all, 
> > Access says that in a multi-user site to not use it.  ARRRGGGGHHH!
> > 
> > "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> > 
> > > Marco, 
> > > I have been playing around with this and I found something interesting.  If 
> > > you read my first reply, I mention that I get this when I update a portion of 
> > > a record via a form called by a form used to edit the record.  I also 
> > > mentioned that we use "optimistic" locking, because we are a multi-user site, 
> > > with data in a back end.
> > > Well, just for grins, in the "inner" form's properties, I set locking to 
> > > "Edited Records" (aka pesimestic locking). So far, when I make a change, and 
> > > return the the main edit form and make changes, I don't get the "write 
> > > conflict" error, but more importantly, so far I haven't generated any 
> > > "Chinese".  So maybe Microsoft's optimistic locking has a bug! 
> > > (Imagine!).
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "PhotoFinish" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > I have a similar problem, and I doubt the database is corrupt as such.  I 
> > > > have a reproducible problem -- I just can't figure out how to fix it.  I have 
> > > > a screen for users to edit records in a table.  You go in, call up the 
> > > > record, change what needs be, and close.  Simple. You can also change two 
> > > > fields that are stored in the table, but the source is from other tables, so 
> > > > we make them click "change owner", e.g., and it takes them to another screen 
> > > > where they can change owner.  Then they return.  
> > > > Routinely, we get "Write conflicts" when we return (we are using optimistic 
> > > > locks), and most times when you say "Save it anyway", it is OK.  But 
> > > > sometimes, we don't get the error, but it cheerfully changes about half the 
> > > > fields in the record to "Chinese".  It also alters the record ID number, 
> > > > which we don't let the users even see. If I call up the record, it comes up, 
> > > > with the "Chinese", but I cannot delete it, because it says there is no index 
> > > > matching the number, and clean database most often doesn't get rid of it.  
> > > > But it will allow me to untimately delete the record. 
> > > > I would rather a) it doesn't do that, or b) that it is easily recoverable, 
> > > > and I don't have to kick users off, or come in at weird hours.
> > > > 
> > > > "Jerry Whittle" wrote:
> > > > 
> > > > > There's a very good chance that the database is corrupt. At times like this, 
> > > > > nothing beats a good backup.  In fact make a complete backup of your database 
> > > > > now and put it away for safe keeping.
> > > > > 
> > > > > Tony Toews has an excellent web page on database corruption.
> > > > > http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/corruptmdbs.htm
> > > > > 
> > > > > Allen Brown also has excellent info on corruption.
> > > > > http://allenbrowne.com/ser-47.html
> > > > > 
> > > > > I have a white paper in a Word document named Fix Corrupt Access Database 
> > > > > towards the bottom this page:
> > > > > http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/OtherLibraries.asp
> > > > > -- 
> > > > > Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP 
> > > > > Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder.
> > > > > 
> > > > > 
> > > > > "Marco Silva" wrote:
> > > > > 
> > > > > > Hi. I have a back-end and front-end solution in access.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > As you may imagine, some users access to the same back-end database to 
> > > > > > update data.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > They don't usually use to update the same records.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > My problem is that sometimes some records change what is written to a some 
> > > > > > king of special characters.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > It seems that it's chinese characters or something looked like.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > I can I prevent this to happen?? because this makes me to delete that record 
> > > > > > and of course the data that is into.
> > > > > > 
> > > > > > Regards,
> > > > > > Marco
> > > > > > 
0
Utf
2/16/2008 6:16:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Chinese Chars in Failed Backup
Getting whole bunch of the errors like the one below. Backup fails. Can't find the message so that i can delete it when i go to the folder of the user in the outlook. What other methods are available to me to get rid of those corrupted messages. For certain reasons we need to backup individual mailboxes and not just the store. I am aware that backing up the store will solve the problem. ============================================================================ === WARNING: "\\SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\Joe Shmo. [jshmo]?Top of Information Store?Deleted Items?�?????????????...

Character counter #3
Hello, I have created a User form to allow users to enter data onto a report. To ensure that data entered does not exceed the space available I have limited the number of characters that can be entered, I want to put a box on the form that will show the user how many characters that they have available and I would like it to update as they type so they know how much space they have available. eg. 100 characters available to start, as they type this would decrease accordingly, so if they typed "Hello" the box would show 95 available. How can I do this? Thanks in advance...

Chinese junk emails
Is there a way to block Chinese/Asian emails from coming in to Outlook? They use different names and ip address and subjects Outlook 2003 allows you to filter based on some International info (character set & such): Tools menu > Options > Junk E-mail > International tab "rmwatrich" <rmwatrich@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OQVx7fEaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to block Chinese/Asian emails from coming in to Outlook? > They use different names and ip address and subjects ...

strange sum question user inputs number of rows to sum in cell
i need to sum cells in column c in a dynamic range...the twist is... the user selects the number of rows to sum, by an input into cell b3 eg user enters 6 for the first 6 observations to be summed.. how do i get excel to sum the data from observation 1 to observation 6 inclusive? and i want the result in cell C2 ps observation 1 is eight rows down from row A FYI Each row of my data has an observation number starting at 1 untill the end of the dynamic range,if it helps the list will not be subsequently sorted. i know the easy way is to just use a manual =sum, but i need something more ...

Why the Character O disappers
Hello, When I type a sentence that starts with the letter O, then I click on bullets or numbering, the letter O disappears. This happens in Word 2007 or 2010. What is happening? T.I. Word thinks you are using O as a bullet. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "TITANI" <TITANI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BE7640D-63C6-4AC8-A6BA-A9CA18992C67@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > When I type a sentence that starts with the letter O, then I click on > bullets...

Why BSTR does not display the chinese/foreign characters correctly??
Question : Why are all the chinese character in BSTR in the Visual Studio 6 C++ below displayed as ?? I tried compiling in UNICODE also no change.I would also like to save the text in the outerhtml into a html file. How to do this?? In Visual C++ 6 using the code below lHTMLDocument2->get_body(&lHtmlElement); lHtmlElement->get_parentElement(&lHtmlElement2); lHtmlElement2->get_outerHTML(&bstrHTML); &bstrHTML contains the following why are the chinese characters ???-????? <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>???-?????</TITLE> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type c...

Viewing BIG5 Traditional Chinese and GB2312 Simplified Chinese on Outlook 2003
Hello all, I am a newbie to this forum and I appreciate any helps. I have a MS Windows XP Professional SP2 (Traditional Chinese) and a MS Office 2003 Professional SP1 (Traditional Chinese). On the Outlook, I have to receive e-mails written in Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese. I can view the sender's name and e-mail topic if they are entered in Traditional Chinese but I cannot see them if they are entered in Simplified Chinese. I tried to change the Geophraphical settings of the Windows to Chinese (PRC), then I found I can read all e- mails (sender's name, topic and...

Replacing Character
I need to replace/delete the " >" character at the end of a number... when the data was brought into the excel 1234> was the number that cam it happens in about 7000 lines any suggestions on how to replace it with a blank?? thank -- tico31p ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tico31pl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1040 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46572 Select the range to fix. Edit|Replace what: " >" (without the quotes with: (leav...

Strange problems
I have a user which was running MS office 2000 Pro, I updated their computer to 2000 premium. In order to do this I removed the old pro then installed the premium. Before the update, when she would open excel the default "book1" would open along with "personal.xls". The personal.xls is the file containing macros she runs. Now the only file opening by default is the personal.xls. I looked and the only file in the XLSTART folder is the personal.xls. If I move this personal xls file, the default "Book1" will open, but the macros will not work. In order to have the ma...

Changing character for time enty
Is there a way to change the colon (:) while entering time data? I would like to be able to use the period (.) in my keypad to be recognized as the dividing character for hours and minutes. I am in Excel 2003..... Hi AFAIK this is not really possible (maybe changing the Windows settings could do). You may have a look at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Tam wrote: > Is there a way to change the colon (:) while entering time data? I > would like to be able to use the period (.) in my keypad to be > recognized as the divi...

Strange query results/Wild characters???
Hello. My query is showing me strange values from whem loading a value from a form. It's very strange because if you have a form named FormA and inside a field named Field1 and if the field has a default value of 2 and if you run it. Then if you'll make a query with any table or query and put this in the column: Test:([forms]![FormA]![Field1]) your result will be 2, tha same as the the Form Field. My problem is that my query instead of showing me the value of 2 is showing another thing very strange, such as wild characters or value that has nothing to do with it. If I use t...

A strange problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C38E8B.AD7AA440 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I'm using Excel 2000 to make a calculation for the following. Column C =3DB/A The result show at the last row which using sum(range) and the column C = at last row is also using B/A. It is very strange that the result showing 8.52242 instead of 7.XXXXXX. Is it a calculation error or bug in Excel? A 645 B 5000 C 7.75194=20 177 1375 7.76836=20 23 176.6 7.67826=20 ...

This spanish character string "�" cause something that I don't understand
Hi! Here I encode the spanish character "�" to UTF-8 which is encoded as a two bytes with the values 195 and 177 which is understandable. As we know a char is a Unicode which is a signed 16-bits integer. Now to my question when I run this program and use the debugger and hover over this ch variabel that is of type char it shows 241. I mean because a char is Unicode(UTF-16) and this value is using two bytes when UTF-8 is used how can the debugger show 241 when I hover over this ch variable ? static void Main(string[] args) { UTF8Encoding utf8 = new U...

Strange Read Receipt Issue
I have a user that receives the same read receipt several times per day and this has gone on for 2 years. He has a rule set to auto delete them but wants to know why this is happening. I've never heard of or seen this behavior and don't see any resolutions on the web. Any ideas? In news:6AD970FA-97C9-4F38-B3F7-F6DE33117261@microsoft.com, Jeff R <JeffR@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I have a user that receives the same read receipt several times per > day and this has gone on for 2 years. He has a rule set to auto > delete them but wants to know why this i...

convert chinese to english
I have files in chinese,korean,japanese (excel files) i need to convert to english and vice-versa. You may need a third party add-in to convert languages from Chinese/Korean/Japanese to English and vice versa. Excel in itself does not have that option. ...

Outlook 2003 does not accept French characters from online forms.
I AM NEW OFFICE 2003 USER Here is the ERROR character recived by OUTLOOK 2003 when "ANDRÉ" is entered in the online form https://secure4.radiant.net/homelink/SubformFr.htm "I" in place of "É" in this name field: User_name = ANDRI SIMARD OUTLOOK EXPRESS has always accepted all characters like this one. I cannot find any assistance in the LANGUAGE SETTINGS section. CAN ANYONE HELP? ...

Strange but how to downgrade
It seems strange to do but we have done it. We upgraded from a Exchange 2000 to an Enterprise version of Exchange 2003 by error (we have 2003 Standard license). When we noticed we tried to reinstall Standard edition in another pc with a disaster recovery installation (to retain all settings); all worked well but now we have a Standard installation saying it is Enterprise. Any way to repair all this without having to reinstall from zero again? Thank you in advance. Emilio. You will need to re-install. Or install Standard on another box, add it to your org and move the mailboxes over. Or...

really strange problem, any one heard of this ??
Hello all techies, I have a really weired problem. It could be really simple thing to solve it since I haven't used the calender part of Outlook much. I have one main user whose calender is shared. His PA, puts his appointments on his behalf and she can access the main user's calender from her Outlook. The main user config: Windows 2000, all patches, office updates, Office XP, Office XP SP2. His PA, Windows XP, all patches, Office XP with all the updates and office service packs. Now the main problem is that, there is on appt, in this shared calender, which is on 23rd of Ju...

Outlook 2007 getting strange
For some reason when I open up a contact and close it Outlook 2007 wants to save it! If I don't save it, the contact goes into the Draft folder. This behavior just started. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks Ron do you have any addins installed? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Ce...

strange path taken by my emails
why do my emails have these strange strings of numbers in front of them? Some of them say bounce several times and others are like the one copied below. I just moved my account from windows live to outlook 2007. The reason I ask is that it makes it very hard to apply rules when the address is like this, it used to just say gardeners@e-news.gardeners.com. 20006+10000+11589+1+0+1+0+maryriver=mashell.com@cpbnc.com; on behalf of; Gardeners Supply [gardeners@e-news.gardeners.com] ...

Traditional Chinese / Simplified Chinese Conversion in Office 200.
I can't do any offline Tradition Chinese / Simplified Chinese Conversion in Office 2007 English version? Anyone can help? high quality Soccer jerseys NBA Jersey tracksuit and jackets, GHD hairstraightener supplier from www.willpa.com Are you a Retail businessman who bother by the purchase price? China Cheapest TOP wholesale website can help you we are specialize in replica sport goods manufacturing in china, we can offer you all kinds of soccer jersey, NBA jersey,shoes and so on. they are the best brand replica goods whih are look the same as the original goods. exce...

Data sorting problem in Chinese
Hi, I have Excel file (from Excel 2002) that containing personal phone and directory in Simplified Chinese (GB2312) text. Is there a way to sort this Chinese in phonetic order instead of stroke order? I was able to sort this table in phonetic order when I used this table in Windows 98 in the old day, but all change after moving to Windows 2K/XP (English version) with Unicode. It looks like the Chinese texts are in stroke order in Unicode. Hope someone know how to do that and can help me. Thanks in advance. Tony ...

Strange Taskbar Problem
I normally set up my taskbar two rows in heighth with the quick launch icons on the far left. This leaves the middle section for the "open tabs". I recently did a clean reinstall (restored an image) and somewhere in that process or the ensuing windows updates, the taskbar layout got all screwed up and I am unable to make it right. This is what is there now (with the task bar unlocked so the "dotted section divider lines" are visible: On the far left next to the Start button is the first set of divider lines. (Normally, the quick launch icons are to the left...

Characters not supported by the Internet Services:
This message uses a character set that is not supported by the Internet Service. To view the original message content, open the attached message. If the text doesn't display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open it using a viewer that can display the original character set. I'm running Exchange 5.5 and have only seed this once before. ...

strange behavor for send to
I have a workbook that is distributed to 20 people every day. On the list some are internal some are external. When sending to one given ISP the e-mails never arrive. This is using the send as attachment feature. When the same workbook is sent as an attachment through outlook everything is OK. Any ideas? Thanks That does sound odd, can you confirm that the send with attachment mail is appearing in 'sent items' in outlook? If not it would indicate that Excel is not using outlook to send the mail - perhaps outlook express or another email program is being used by default - and the a...