Charts in Access 07-09-07

I need to create a chart that presents the trend of the foreign exchange
rate

Where do I begin?

Thank you,
Samuel

0
Samuel
7/9/2007 7:26:48 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I need to create a chart that presents the trend of the foreign exchange
>rate
>
> Where do I begin?

I would export the data that you wish to use to an Excel range. Use the
range as a source for an Excel chart. At least until Office 2007, Excel had
a better implementation of the chart engine used by both programs.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
7/9/2007 7:43:58 PM
The chart must be completely automated

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message

> "Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>I need to create a chart that presents the trend of the foreign exchange
>>rate
>>
>> Where do I begin?
>
> I would export the data that you wish to use to an Excel range. Use the
> range as a source for an Excel chart. At least until Office 2007, Excel
> had a better implementation of the chart engine used by both programs.
> --
> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> http://www.datastrat.com
> http://www.mvps.org/access
> http://www.accessmvp.com

0
Samuel
7/9/2007 10:13:37 PM
Then how about taking Arvin's solution a few steps further??

Using things like TransferSpreadsheet from Access to a new Excel
workbook.  Use Automation of Excel from Access to enter a new world of
power.

Create your data in Access and then export just the data you need to
Excel using ~TransferSpreadsheet.

Do this next part in Excel first then move the VBA over to the Access
side after things work perfectly in Excel.  I find the Macro Recorder
in Excel provides great training wheels for us Access types.
(Actually, I've read posts from Excel types touting that as their
standard practice when starting something new.  :-)).

Massage your data as much as necessary in Excel and then create a
chart sheet and label it.  If you have the Recorder on for all of
those steps you'll be waaay ahead of the game.  Name your macro.  You
can clean out the superfluous code after you have a working system in
Excel.

When all is well on the Excel side, return to the Access side and look
in Help on "Automation".  When last I looked there wasn't much there
but, surprisingly, enough to get you started

A general word to the wise:  When starting the process it's a good
idea to use Early Binding in order to get the benefits of
Intellisense.  When you're pretty pleased with your code, change to
late binding.

Once you feel you're ready, move a copy of the code in the Excel macro
you recorded, tweaked and named and tweaked some more over to the
Access side.  If you want the code to remain intact then it may be a
good idea to move it into a standard module in Access with a creative
new name  like basExcelCode.  If you want to save it in line with
other code already in Access then be sure not to copy the Begin Sub
and End Sub lines.  Make sure to save a copy of the Excel workbook out
of harm's way or be sure that you create a new workbook with a
different name.

By now the idea may have crossed your mind that the whole thing may
just not be worth it.  Believe me it is worth it.  The fact that you
need to do something the first time is a pretty good indicator that
you'll need to do it again in the future.  From start to finish it may
take you two or three days.  You'll be researching and learning as you
go.  That takes time.  What you learn will be useful in using any of
the MS Office platforms together in true client / server
relationships.

If you'll open the Newsgroups window in your newsreader you'll find a
couple of groups on "Automation"

Post back here or in those groups or in all three using crossposting.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

> The chart must be completely automated
>

> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> >>I need to create a chart that presents the trend of the foreign
exchange
> >>rate
> >>
> >> Where do I begin?
> >
> > I would export the data that you wish to use to an Excel range.
Use the
> > range as a source for an Excel chart. At least until Office 2007,
Excel
> > had a better implementation of the chart engine used by both
programs.
> > --
> > Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
> > http://www.datastrat.com
> > http://www.mvps.org/access
> > http://www.accessmvp.com

0
Larry
7/10/2007 2:49:51 AM
It can be completely automated very easily. As a mater of fact, I have 1
application which requires creating multiple, quick changing graphs for
audiology POs and testing on forms. Rather than doing the graphs in Access,
I do them in Excel and save a gif or jpg which is returned to Access. The
process takes well under a second to create, but once the graph is imaged,
the POs with up to 2 images are created as Access reports, saved as PDFs,
and emailed in under 3 seconds, all in code, and completely automated.

I've published code here before to do that. Use Google Groups to Google on
my name and Excel and you should be able to find it.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> The chart must be completely automated
>

> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Samuel" <samuel.shulman@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>>I need to create a chart that presents the trend of the foreign exchange
>>>rate
>>>
>>> Where do I begin?
>>
>> I would export the data that you wish to use to an Excel range. Use the
>> range as a source for an Excel chart. At least until Office 2007, Excel
>> had a better implementation of the chart engine used by both programs.
>> --
>> Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
>> http://www.datastrat.com
>> http://www.mvps.org/access
>> http://www.accessmvp.com

0
Arvin

Legend on Chart

Form coding access 2003 to 2007
Hello comm I have a code in a form (MS Accees 2003)working perfect. However, if I open the form in Access 2007 the concatenation does not work in the field CodSigCat This the code. Could you tell me what is wrong or new in Access 2007? Many thanks Option Compare Database Option Explicit Function CodSigCat() As String CodSigCat = Me!Prov & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Cant & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Dist & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Bloq & "" CodSigCat = CodSigCat & Me!Sect & "" CodSigCat = CodSi...

Demographic chart?

Excel 2007 Line Chart with Markers

Charting/ Graph question

Chart in Chart

How do I create a chart....

Access-type projects in Excel
Greetings; The company computers are CHEAP. They do not have Access on them, and they want a system set up that simply a daily summary sheet is filled in and automatically allocated to different worksheets - with weekly and monthly summary reports generated. Doing this in Access is not a huge issue, I know (even though I am programming-retarded). I was wondering if all or part of this was possible to do in Excel? THANKS FOR RESPONSES!! In the absence of another reply. I would start with a simple table wit headings in row 1 and add all data (including columns to help analysi such as Date a...

Chart items moving around

Access 2007 Fonts
In AC 2007 when I open the drop down for the fonts I see a few fonts that aren't in the system fonts in my Control Panel. There are 8 of them and are named: Z@R32AF with a variation after the R. I didn't name all of them but the extension and the Z@R are in all the names. Again these font names do not show up in control panel|fonts. Any idea how these fonts got into access? Thanks, James I found that these fonts are temporary fonts used by Adobe Reader generated when viewing a pdf. Why they hang around until a reboot and why Access "sees" them I don...

How To Chart A Formula in Excel 2007

Deny Access to Mailbox
Is there any way to deny access to a mailbox for specific users? Essentially my problem is that I want to prevent dom admin A from being able to read dom admin B email from either Outlook or directly from the server. Thanks. neither domain admin should be able to access the other's mailbox...what version of Exchange? do they have SA explicitly or via a group? "Tyler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:008b01c3b8f4$20379370$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there any way to deny access to a mailbox for specific > users? > > Essentially my ...

Cascading Combos in Data Access Page [DAP]
In DAP, can I have 1 control [courses] affect other 2 controls [course_date_1st_choice] and [course_date_2nd_choice]. I usually do this in Form by using Select Case but i need to know how i can manage to do it in DAP. Any help please? It's very complicated to do that in DAP. You should post in the official DAP newsgroup but this newsgroup is practically dead because very few people are still using them but Ken Snell is still often answering questions there. By looking at an old DAP file that I have here, I see that for doing this, I was storing the value of the combo...

create chart from external application
Hi, I would like to know if this is possible.... I have an application that contains an hierarchical chart. I would like to export this data into a format that Visio can *understand*, and then import it into Visio and have it display in a hierarchical manner. Does any body know if this is possible to do. .....or, if there is another way of getting my data into Visio, can you please let me know. Thanks. Here is an article that describes how to automate the org chart wizard, and how to format your data: http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/spotlight5_July00.aspx Hope ...

print a chart over multiple pages
I am trying to stretch a chart over multiple pages, but i just can't get it to work. I have tried all i can think including attempting to print areas individually. Any ideas? i'm using excel 2003. Thanks Hi, If the chart is on a chart page, this will not work. If the chart is embedded on a sheet, and you select the chart, it will not work. What you need to do is embed the chart and then select the range "behind - under" the chart, then you can use all of the print options, thereby printing one chart across multiple pages. Cheers, Shane "OEB1527" <O...

Outlook Mobile Access stopped working...
I don't know why -- "Exchange 2003 SP1 Single Server with RPC over HTTPS enabled in a Windows 2003 Domain" All I get is this very cryptic message: A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator. I am the Administrator! :-) -Blake "Galvanon" <galvanon@online.nospam> wrote in news:e#FCP394FHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl: > "Exchange 2003 SP1 Single Server with RPC over HTTPS enabled in a > Windows 2003 Domain" > > All I get is this very cryptic messag...

Embed Chart
Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet like an embedded chart (or something)? Thanx. Brian - I'm not sure what you're asking. If you copy a chart from one workbook (or worksheet) and paste it into another, it will retain its links to the original source of its data. You can change its source data (to its new parent worksheet) using Source Data from the Chart menu. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ briank wrote: > Is it possible to link a chart into my current worksheet > like an...

Help in setting relationships in Access
Hi I have created a database of Students. The first table I have created has the Students Names and IDs. Each table needs to have the students ID but in each table, I can not create Enforce Referential Integrity. The Student Table is the main source of details for this database. Any time a student is added this information should be accessible to all the other tables. I've created a lookup for all the tables that it should reference the Student Table for ID numbers. Any help is appreaiated. Add the StudentID to each of the other tables as a Foreign Key. The...

Stingray's MFC Objective Grid with Access 2K?
Has anyone had success using Stingray's Objective Grid v7.0 with the later versions of DAO. I've seen the suggestions to add an entry to my source to force MFC to use the later version. But, when I do this, I get a lot of crashes after compiling. I wonder if there are any mods that must also be made to the Stingray source? Thanks, Jack ...

Send an appointment via email from Access 03 Form
Hi I have been trying to do the above where I already have all the details on my form to send the info - using previous thread suggestions and have the following code Dim MyOutlook As Object Dim MyAppt As Object Dim olNS As NameSpace Dim olfolder As MAPIFolder Dim MyMailItem As Object Set MyOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") Set MyAppt = MyOutlook.CreateItem(1) Set olNS = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI") Set olfolder = olNS.GetDefaultFolder(olCalendar) Set MyAppt = M...