changing text to numeric

i have two table. one is PO table and one is DI (delivery instruction) table.
i have make a form and using DI table as the control source. then i make a
combo box to look up the PO no. that combo box i'm using the PO table. cos i
want to look into the PO table to see which PO i want to call in the material
from the supplier. after select the PO no from the PO table i will keep the
data in the DI table. PO no from the PO table was change from number field to
text field when in the DI table. can i make the PO no as number field in DI
table? how? cos i need using the PO no which is in the DI table to link with
other table which is the PO no is as number field. anybody can help me?

thanks!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Open the DI table in design view. Click on the POP no field. Change the Data
Type to Numeric; then select the appropriate Field Size property at bottom
of screen (likely, you'll want Long Integer, but you must make it the same
as what it is in the PO table).

--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have two table. one is PO table and one is DI (delivery instruction)
>table.
> i have make a form and using DI table as the control source. then i make a
> combo box to look up the PO no. that combo box i'm using the PO table. cos
> want to look into the PO table to see which PO i want to call in the
> material
> from the supplier. after select the PO no from the PO table i will keep
> the
> data in the DI table. PO no from the PO table was change from number field
> text field when in the DI table. can i make the PO no as number field in
> DI
> table? how? cos i need using the PO no which is in the DI table to link
> with
> other table which is the PO no is as number field. anybody can help me?
>
> thanks!

0
Ken
11/3/2007 3:31:35 AM
i have change the thing that you ask me to change. but when i'm go to the
form. i click the combo box and select the PO no, it was come out an error.
it say that "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." it say may be
i have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the
fieldSize setting permits. i have follow the exact what i'm setting in the PO
table. why it become like this? what can i do? can you help me?

thanks!

"Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:

> Open the DI table in design view. Click on the POP no field. Change the Data
> Type to Numeric; then select the appropriate Field Size property at bottom
> of screen (likely, you'll want Long Integer, but you must make it the same
> as what it is in the PO table).
>
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have two table. one is PO table and one is DI (delivery instruction)
> >table.
> > i have make a form and using DI table as the control source. then i make a
> > combo box to look up the PO no. that combo box i'm using the PO table. cos
> > want to look into the PO table to see which PO i want to call in the
> > material
> > from the supplier. after select the PO no from the PO table i will keep
> > the
> > data in the DI table. PO no from the PO table was change from number field
> > text field when in the DI table. can i make the PO no as number field in
> > DI
> > table? how? cos i need using the PO no which is in the DI table to link
> > with
> > other table which is the PO no is as number field. anybody can help me?
> >
> > thanks!

What is the Row Source for the combo box? What is the Row Source Type for
the combo box? What is the Control Source for the combo box? What is the
Record Source for the form? What is the Validation Rule for the combo box?
What is the Format for the combo box?
--

>i have change the thing that you ask me to change. but when i'm go to the
> form. i click the combo box and select the PO no, it was come out an
> error.
> it say that "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." it say may
> be
> i have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the
> fieldSize setting permits. i have follow the exact what i'm setting in the
> PO
> table. why it become like this? what can i do? can you help me?
>
> thanks!
>

> "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Open the DI table in design view. Click on the POP no field. Change the
>> Data
>> Type to Numeric; then select the appropriate Field Size property at
>> bottom
>> of screen (likely, you'll want Long Integer, but you must make it the
>> same
>> as what it is in the PO table).
>>
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>

>> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have two table. one is PO table and one is DI (delivery instruction)
>> >table.
>> > i have make a form and using DI table as the control source. then i
>> > make a
>> > combo box to look up the PO no. that combo box i'm using the PO table.
>> > cos
>> > want to look into the PO table to see which PO i want to call in the
>> > material
>> > from the supplier. after select the PO no from the PO table i will keep
>> > the
>> > data in the DI table. PO no from the PO table was change from number
>> > field
>> > text field when in the DI table. can i make the PO no as number field
>> > in
>> > DI
>> > table? how? cos i need using the PO no which is in the DI table to link
>> > with
>> > other table which is the PO no is as number field. anybody can help me?
>> >
>> > thanks!

0
Ken
11/3/2007 3:35:44 PM
the row source type is table. row source is "SELECT details_material.PONO,
details_material.DESCRIPTION FROM details_material WHERE
(((details_material.DESCRIPTION)=Forms!f_del_instruction!material_size) And
((details_material.DELIVERED)=0)) ORDER BY details_material.PONO;". the
details_material means the PO table i mention before. the control source is
PO_no. the record source of the form is DI table. i did not set the
validation rule for the combo box. the format of the combo box is "YL"0000.
there are the detailst which you wanted. can you teach me how to do? thanks!

"Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:

> What is the Row Source for the combo box? What is the Row Source Type for
> the combo box? What is the Control Source for the combo box? What is the
> Record Source for the form? What is the Validation Rule for the combo box?
> What is the Format for the combo box?
> --
>
>         Ken Snell
> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>

> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have change the thing that you ask me to change. but when i'm go to the
> > form. i click the combo box and select the PO no, it was come out an
> > error.
> > it say that "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." it say may
> > be
> > i have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the
> > fieldSize setting permits. i have follow the exact what i'm setting in the
> > PO
> > table. why it become like this? what can i do? can you help me?
> >
> > thanks!
> >

> > "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Open the DI table in design view. Click on the POP no field. Change the
> >> Data
> >> Type to Numeric; then select the appropriate Field Size property at
> >> bottom
> >> of screen (likely, you'll want Long Integer, but you must make it the
> >> same
> >> as what it is in the PO table).
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >>         Ken Snell
> >> <MS ACCESS MVP>
> >>

> >> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I apologize... I've been out of town on business and didn't have a chance to
reply. I will do so as soon as possible.

--

> the row source type is table. row source is "SELECT details_material.PONO,
> details_material.DESCRIPTION FROM details_material WHERE
> (((details_material.DESCRIPTION)=Forms!f_del_instruction!material_size)
> And
> ((details_material.DELIVERED)=0)) ORDER BY details_material.PONO;". the
> details_material means the PO table i mention before. the control source
> is
> PO_no. the record source of the form is DI table. i did not set the
> validation rule for the combo box. the format of the combo box is
> "YL"0000.
> there are the detailst which you wanted. can you teach me how to do?
> thanks!
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What is the Row Source for the combo box? What is the Row Source Type for
>> the combo box? What is the Control Source for the combo box? What is the
>> Record Source for the form? What is the Validation Rule for the combo
>> box?
>> What is the Format for the combo box?
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>

>> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have change the thing that you ask me to change. but when i'm go to
>> >the
>> > form. i click the combo box and select the PO no, it was come out an
>> > error.
>> > it say that "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." it say
>> > may
>> > be
>> > i have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than
>> > the
>> > fieldSize setting permits. i have follow the exact what i'm setting in
>> > the
>> > PO
>> > table. why it become like this? what can i do? can you help me?
>> >
>> > thanks!

0
Ken
11/11/2007 1:06:59 AM
That error ("the value you entered isn't valid for this field.") suggests
that the Data Type of the PO_no field (in DI table) that is bound to the
combo box is NOT Number, but rather is Text or something else.

By chance, are you using a split database -- where the tables are in a
separate database file from the one with the forms?
--

        Ken Snell
<MS ACCESS MVP>

"Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the row source type is table. row source is "SELECT details_material.PONO,
> details_material.DESCRIPTION FROM details_material WHERE
> (((details_material.DESCRIPTION)=Forms!f_del_instruction!material_size)
> And
> ((details_material.DELIVERED)=0)) ORDER BY details_material.PONO;". the
> details_material means the PO table i mention before. the control source
> is
> PO_no. the record source of the form is DI table. i did not set the
> validation rule for the combo box. the format of the combo box is
> "YL"0000.
> there are the detailst which you wanted. can you teach me how to do?
> thanks!
>
> "Ken Snell (MVP)" wrote:
>
>> What is the Row Source for the combo box? What is the Row Source Type for
>> the combo box? What is the Control Source for the combo box? What is the
>> Record Source for the form? What is the Validation Rule for the combo
>> box?
>> What is the Format for the combo box?
>> --
>>
>>         Ken Snell
>> <MS ACCESS MVP>
>>

>> "Irene" <Irene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >i have change the thing that you ask me to change. but when i'm go to
>> >the
>> > form. i click the combo box and select the PO no, it was come out an
>> > error.
>> > it say that "the value you entered isn't valid for this field." it say
>> > may
>> > be
>> > i have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than
>> > the
>> > fieldSize setting permits. i have follow the exact what i'm setting in
>> > the
>> > PO
>> > table. why it become like this? what can i do? can you help me?
>> >
>> > thanks!

0
Ken

changing default margin settngs
I cannot seem to find where to change the default margin settings for Excel - I can go in and change them everytime on the page setup but I do not want to have to manually change the margins everytime. Please help! Are you related to Amanda? You could create a workbook that has the settings you want. Then save this workbook as a template for all new workbooks. If that's what you want to do: Start a new workbook. change the margins (and modify it to your heart's content) Also, modify anything else you want as a standard--header/footers, page orientation, number of worksheets in ...

Any harm in changing a user's group membership?
I know that deleting a userid and creating a new user with the same name will have really nasty results with ownership of objects, etc., but what about simply changing the group membership? I'd like to change a member of the "Administrator" group to "Power User" or simply "User" for a while to see what (if anything) stops working, but only if I know that I can always change it back if things get strange. -- Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com Bert Hyman wrote: > I know that deleting a userid and creating a new user with the same name ...

Publisher 97, How do I align text vertically?
In Publisher 97, how do I align text vertically within a text box, or within a cell in a table? I can center text horizontally, no problem. I've looked everywhere (Help file, internet) and can't figure it out. Answers I've found are for other versions of Publisher. Please help, this is driving me crazy! Tabs... In a text box, use the right-tab setting. Delete all tabs, create a right tab where you want the alignment to start. In a table cell, use ctrl+tab. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "slack7639" <slack7639@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

Forms
Hello. I am using MS Access 2007. I have a form that is linked to a query. I am trying to give the user the option of leaving some text boxes blank if they do not have the infomation. What formula do i use in the query? Thanks -- fa On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:58:02 -0700, fa <fa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello. I am using MS Access 2007. I have a form that is linked to a query. I >am trying to give the user the option of leaving some text boxes blank if >they do not have the infomation. What formula do i use in the query? > >Thanks Add a criter...

text wrapping #5
No matter what I do, text will not wrap around my picture. I've done the format picture with the text box options, but it does nothing. The picture has no border, either. I've tried sending it to the back, front, everywehre, nothing works. Why? -- Kathy Kathy wrote: > No matter what I do, text will not wrap around my picture. I've done > the format picture with the text box options, but it does nothing. > The picture has no border, either. I've tried sending it to the back, > front, everywehre, nothing works. Why? =================================== Which vers...

Dynamically Changing Prompts / Hidden Properties of Report Paramet
I would like to be able to dynamically change the Prompt and Hidden Properties of a report parameter based on another parameter. Ideally, I would like to be able to do this within Reporting Services, but if this is not possible I could perform a solution outside reporting services to manually change the report before the report is rendered. I've looked online and haven't been able to find solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

changing a calculation in a pivot table
I have a pivot table from a db that shows 10 rows of dates and data. each week i delete the oldest row and add it adds the new one. What i need to do is calculate the % change from the oldest to the newest each week. right now i do it each time i run the db. what i want is to have a cell calculate it for me. when i try that, i get an error when i change the data. looks like this Date Data 12/8/2009 120 12/15/2009 100 12/21/2009 90 12/29/2009 92 1/20/2010 67 1/25/2010 54 2/1/20...

Ol 2003 is a change for the worse, I go back to Ol 2002 (XP)
I installed Outlook 2003, but after working a while with it I have decided to go back to Ol 2002. Why? Here are some reasons: 1. Mails in the outtray, that have been selecet or edited will not be sent (using F9). Bug? 2. Ol 2003 often crashes when I close it 3. Where is the shortcut bar? In Ol XP I could display my outlook shortcuts bar AND the folders. In Ol 2003 this is not possible. And the buttons on the left down are not configurable (and it looks like a copy from Lotus Notes (which in fact is much more user UNfriendly) 4. I connot move the column with the flags 5. I have to change for ea...

changing words that are repeated on several pages
Hi, I was wondering if i could get some help here. I have a report document that has a specific word repeated on a several pages throughout the report. When you change or edit the word, the change will be applied to those pages that have the word in them throughout the report. My question is i think this can be done using Macro. However, the report is to be handed to someone whose company does not allow Macro implementation. Therefore, i wonder if this is still feasible with the use of Macro. I run on Office 03 on XP Pro. Any helps would be greatly appreciated. Thank ...

Using a Decimal changes cell to a label
Using a Decimal changes cell to a label If I use a decimal in a cell, it changes the cell to a label. I must put a "+" or "-" before I enter the number. I have tried formatting the sheet and cell still changes to label. I have also tired reinstalling the programs no change. Any ideas? ...

Inserting cell value into text....
I am trying to create text in excel where at certain points a cell value needs to be inserted and change as the original cell value changes. How can I do this and maintain the integrity of the text formatting? Thank you so much! Try something like - ="Answer as shown in cell A10 ; "&A10&", or thereabouts." HTH, Andy Support Boris - visit http://www.ncadc.org.uk/letters/newszine36/boris.html ="abcdef and the value is " & TEXT(A1,"$#,##0.00") will allow you to specify the format of the number that is shown in the resulting string. -...

Changing Property Sheet size at run-time
Hi there, Is it possible to change property sheet size at run-time? I have a CPropertySheet derived class which contains two different size property pages. I can change dynamically the size of the other property page by pressing "More/Less" button and it seems to work OK. But when this page is in full size and I activate another property page (which is smaller), how can I force Sheet/Page to redraw all the controls again? I have also this redraw problem when I change the property page from smaller page to bigger one. I tried to use RedrawWindow() and Invalidate() but those seems not...

Change payment term
Hi I set up a loan account that has a monthly repayment. Overtime, I changed my actual bank loan account to have a weekly repayment and would like to update this information in Money 06, but Money refuses to do so. Any help/info is appreciated. ...

Is there a way to change Excel's pointer from a + to an arrow (li.
Is there a way to change Excel's pointer from a + to an arrow (like in Lotus)? Only with VBA code. Sub ChangeCursor() Application.Cursor = xlNorthwestArrow End Sub Sub ChangeCursorBack() Application.Cursor =xlDefault End Sub -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "cheryl18" <cheryl18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B5580F3-6A86-48AA-AD23-BAA8A20D03CB@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to change Excel's pointer from a + to an arrow > (like in Lotus)? ...

Text Field IIf Statement
I have an employee field that contains a number, but has been set as a text field as there was no need for calculation. However, I now have been asked to assign a particular code to the employees whose numbers are between 1 and 100 and another code if between 101 and 200 and another if between 201 and 300. Any help would be greatly appreciated! -- Thanks! Dee Can you create a query that derives these? You might not need to actually assign a code if you can use a query to derive (i.e., calculate) it. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http...

access doesnt ask me if i want to save changes or not
When I am working in design view and I close the window I am not asked if I want to save my changes. This is a pain to me because many times I don't want to save changes, but it automatically does save without asking me. Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advance! Make backup(s) of each form before working on them: right-click on the name of the form in the database window and choose "Save as ...". Will help if you add a proper version number (v0, v1, v2, ...) -- Sylvain Lafontaine, ing. MVP - Technologies Virtual-PC E-mail: sylvain aei ca (fill the blanks, no spam please...

Changing default addresses for all users
How can I change the return email address for all users in Exchange 2003? My company merged with another company, so we want to change the return email address from user@XXX.com to user@XXXYYY.com (and also user@YYY.com to user@XXXYYY.com). As a complicating factor, we don't want to delete the old email addresses, so users can still receive mail at their old address. -- "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson At the system manager, you go to the Recipient Policies and at the policy you ...

Changing header
I create schedules in excel for four different clincal sites. I change the header on the schedule save the file and e-mail to the instructor. when the instrucotr opens the schedule the header is different from what is saved on my computer. Why! Are you opening via an attachment in email or in excel? You will need to do via excel and reattach. Gai "Melissa MSRS R.T.(R)" wrote: > I create schedules in excel for four different clincal sites. I change the > header on the schedule save the file and e-mail to the instructor. when the > instrucotr opens the sc...

Combo box to fill text boxes..
A form has one combo box and 3 text boxes. This form has the Record Source set to a table containing employee scoring information. The combo box contains employee ID numbers. Based on the selection from the combo box the three text boxes will display the employee name, employee area, and an evaluation score. Currently the combo box has a Row Source: SELECT ScoresTbl.EmpNum, ScoresTbl.EmpName, ScoresTbl.EmpArea, ScoresTbl.OverAllEval FROM ScoresTbl ORDER BY ScoresTbl.EmpNum; Once the EmpNum is selected or an AfterUpdate event on the combo box, then the appropriate text box...

Ex2003
Hi, runnning Ex2003 Enterprise edition. We have 2 groups (and therefore 2 stores): students, who use the email address "username@domain.com" and staff, who use "firstname.lastname@domain.com" How can I set it so the correct email address is set by default once I assign them to their group? Thanks Set up your recipient policy filter so that it only applies to those mailboxes that are homed on the specific mailbox stores you want. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Fabrussio" <Fabrussio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCD00CFC-6933-4A8B-B4...

Newbie question
Hi I'm a relative newcomer using Outlook 2000 (not Express) on my desktop computer (Windows ME) in work and a laptop (Windows 98SE) at home. I just use it for calendar, tasks and contacts (no e-mail). I carry a portable hard drive between the two with all my files (Word, etc.) on it. Is there any way I can configure Outlook to set the data file to another drive (i.e. my portable hard drive) rather than drive C on my other computers? It seems that the data is all stored somewhere like C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook in a .pst file. All I want to do is change that locat...

Link a database that has a changing file name based on date
Hi, I have a temporary database on a network drive that is saved weekly as a new name based on it's save date, such as: iTRKDAT_TMP_20080227.MDB iTRKDAT_TMP_20080228.MDB iTRKDAT_TMP_20080303.MDB the system is currently set up so that every week when a new temporary database is created, you need to manually go in and retrieve table information from it. What i want to do is automatically link the newest temporary database into a main database that will retrieve the table information with the click of a button. I've messed around with the docmd.transferdatabase function in VB but i&#...

... work on text files be modified.....Bernie, I've added to the thread from 31May-3Jun
I think it's wrong to continue a discussion in a new thread. If you could check/search back please? The topic is titled; "Can this VBA for work on text files be modified for a different job ?" Hope you get to see this Bernie Deitrich. Thanks Jon Jon, I did, and I replied. And I sent you a copy, to the bigpond address. Bernie MS Excel MVP "Jon Macmichael" <jonmac@bigpond.com> wrote in message news:481f34ae.0406090551.7a6c2f47@posting.google.com... > I think it's wrong to continue a discussion in a new thread. If you > could check/search back please...

Convert Numbers to Text
Hi, I use the code available from the Microsoft Web site that converts numbers to text and it works very well however, I have had requests to add the word "and" in between the thousands and hundreds : example Instead of "One Thousand Two Hundred Fifty Nine Dollars and Ten Cents" as it now shows I Need "One Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty Nine Dollars and Ten Cents With my limited knowledge I realise that you have to add the word "and" to somewhere in the existing code, just not sure where ?? Thanks i'm not sure what you're using...

Change From: and Reply To: headers?
I think that I know the answer to this one. I subscribe to mailing lists and always use a different email address for each list - all are in the format of <list name>@bryananderson.co.uk. This enables me to easily filter lists into folders and also to see where my email address is being picked up for spam. I do the same when I sign up for anything online or order anything online. All these emails come to the same POP3 box, so checking the one box will download all the emails to all the addresses. So - how can I edit the from: and reply to: fields on a per-email basis? I really don'...