change linked sheet name

Hi,

I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due to 
circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed and I will 
have to use the new names in my programs.  

I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change the sheet 
name only the file name.  

Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked Excel 
spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.

Thank you in advance for your help

-- 
Nancy
0
Utf
5/24/2010 7:10:01 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

5 Replies
1942 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 47

When you go to the linked table manager, click the button down at the bottom 
that say "always check for new location." Then give it the new name and file 
location.
-- 
Milton Purdy
ACCESS 
State of Arkansas


"webeinky" wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due to 
> circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed and I will 
> have to use the new names in my programs.  
> 
> I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change the sheet 
> name only the file name.  
> 
> Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked Excel 
> spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.
> 
> Thank you in advance for your help
> 
> -- 
> Nancy
0
Utf
5/24/2010 7:49:01 PM
Golfinray,

Thank you for the speedy reply.  I have clicked on the "always check for new 
location".

It is the SHEET name I am trying to change (same location and file name).  I 
did try to include the sheet name such as:  e:\Folder\filename.xls\'Sheet1$'  
but it says it is not accessible.
-- 
Nancy


"golfinray" wrote:

> When you go to the linked table manager, click the button down at the bottom 
> that say "always check for new location." Then give it the new name and file 
> location.
> -- 
> Milton Purdy
> ACCESS 
> State of Arkansas
> 
> 
> "webeinky" wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due to 
> > circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed and I will 
> > have to use the new names in my programs.  
> > 
> > I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change the sheet 
> > name only the file name.  
> > 
> > Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked Excel 
> > spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.
> > 
> > Thank you in advance for your help
> > 
> > -- 
> > Nancy
0
Utf
5/24/2010 8:01:01 PM
All you changed was the name of the sheet? Are there multiple sheets? If so, 
try importing (file/get external data) to bring the sheet into the database. 
Then if necesasary copy that sheet back to its original loaction and try 
linking again. If there are multiple sheets on each it may not know which 
sheet to bring in.
-- 
Milton Purdy
ACCESS 
State of Arkansas


"webeinky" wrote:

> Golfinray,
> 
> Thank you for the speedy reply.  I have clicked on the "always check for new 
> location".
> 
> It is the SHEET name I am trying to change (same location and file name).  I 
> did try to include the sheet name such as:  e:\Folder\filename.xls\'Sheet1$'  
> but it says it is not accessible.
> -- 
> Nancy
> 
> 
> "golfinray" wrote:
> 
> > When you go to the linked table manager, click the button down at the bottom 
> > that say "always check for new location." Then give it the new name and file 
> > location.
> > -- 
> > Milton Purdy
> > ACCESS 
> > State of Arkansas
> > 
> > 
> > "webeinky" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hi,
> > > 
> > > I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due to 
> > > circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed and I will 
> > > have to use the new names in my programs.  
> > > 
> > > I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change the sheet 
> > > name only the file name.  
> > > 
> > > Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked Excel 
> > > spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.
> > > 
> > > Thank you in advance for your help
> > > 
> > > -- 
> > > Nancy
0
Utf
5/24/2010 8:18:03 PM
Yes, all that has changed is the name of the sheet.  (this all has been 
caused because the software program that we use to export the data from into 
an Excel spreadsheet used to name the tab in Excel the same as the Excel file 
name..now it is Sheet1.  We just did a software update, that is why there has 
been a change)

Before the update there was only one tab created in Excel (named the same as 
the file name).  Now there are three tabs - Sheet1, Sheet2 Sheet3 - with 
Sheet2 and Sheet3 are blank.

Right now my Access Program in Linked Table Mananger shows 
e:\Folder\filename.xls\filename$ 
as the link path and I want to change it to 
e:\Folder\filename.xls\Sheet1$


Thanks,

Nancy

-- 
Nancy


"golfinray" wrote:

> All you changed was the name of the sheet? Are there multiple sheets? If so, 
> try importing (file/get external data) to bring the sheet into the database. 
> Then if necesasary copy that sheet back to its original loaction and try 
> linking again. If there are multiple sheets on each it may not know which 
> sheet to bring in.
> -- 
> Milton Purdy
> ACCESS 
> State of Arkansas
> 
> 
> "webeinky" wrote:
> 
> > Golfinray,
> > 
> > Thank you for the speedy reply.  I have clicked on the "always check for new 
> > location".
> > 
> > It is the SHEET name I am trying to change (same location and file name).  I 
> > did try to include the sheet name such as:  e:\Folder\filename.xls\'Sheet1$'  
> > but it says it is not accessible.
> > -- 
> > Nancy
> > 
> > 
> > "golfinray" wrote:
> > 
> > > When you go to the linked table manager, click the button down at the bottom 
> > > that say "always check for new location." Then give it the new name and file 
> > > location.
> > > -- 
> > > Milton Purdy
> > > ACCESS 
> > > State of Arkansas
> > > 
> > > 
> > > "webeinky" wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi,
> > > > 
> > > > I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due to 
> > > > circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed and I will 
> > > > have to use the new names in my programs.  
> > > > 
> > > > I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change the sheet 
> > > > name only the file name.  
> > > > 
> > > > Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked Excel 
> > > > spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.
> > > > 
> > > > Thank you in advance for your help
> > > > 
> > > > -- 
> > > > Nancy
0
Utf
5/24/2010 8:32:01 PM
> name..now it is Sheet1.  We just did a software update, that is why there
> has been a change)

Because Excel changed. (A very long time ago) The old software
created an old type of Excel spreadsheet: the new software creates
a spreadsheet using a newer Excel format.

And when I was working on stuff like this, we had to support all
variations for import or export, so we had to support both named
sheets and "Sheet1".

And I thought it was pretty skanky.

But don't blame your supplier: blame MS.


Anyway. CHECK FIRST.

IMPORT the new sheet as a link, and CHECK the new link
to see what the correct link looks like.

If the linked table manager won't work correctly, it is possible
to use code (there is sample code) to modify the links, but
in your case it would probably more work than just re-creating
and re-naming the links.

As a matter of practice, I very seldom used linked tables
for spreadsheets: I more often used linked queries. Using
a linked query, you can change to SQL view and modify
the connection string by hand.

(david)

"webeinky" <webeinky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:72C5C696-635B-4588-95F0-53E2600BB9E3@microsoft.com...
> Yes, all that has changed is the name of the sheet.  (this all has been
> caused because the software program that we use to export the data from 
> into
> an Excel spreadsheet used to name the tab in Excel the same as the Excel 
> file
> name..now it is Sheet1.  We just did a software update, that is why there 
> has
> been a change)
>
> Before the update there was only one tab created in Excel (named the same 
> as
> the file name).  Now there are three tabs - Sheet1, Sheet2 Sheet3 - with
> Sheet2 and Sheet3 are blank.
>
> Right now my Access Program in Linked Table Mananger shows
> e:\Folder\filename.xls\filename$
> as the link path and I want to change it to
> e:\Folder\filename.xls\Sheet1$
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nancy
>
> -- 
> Nancy
>
>
> "golfinray" wrote:
>
>> All you changed was the name of the sheet? Are there multiple sheets? If 
>> so,
>> try importing (file/get external data) to bring the sheet into the 
>> database.
>> Then if necesasary copy that sheet back to its original loaction and try
>> linking again. If there are multiple sheets on each it may not know which
>> sheet to bring in.
>> -- 
>> Milton Purdy
>> ACCESS
>> State of Arkansas
>>
>>
>> "webeinky" wrote:
>>
>> > Golfinray,
>> >
>> > Thank you for the speedy reply.  I have clicked on the "always check 
>> > for new
>> > location".
>> >
>> > It is the SHEET name I am trying to change (same location and file 
>> > name).  I
>> > did try to include the sheet name such as: 
>> > e:\Folder\filename.xls\'Sheet1$'
>> > but it says it is not accessible.
>> > -- 
>> > Nancy
>> >
>> >
>> > "golfinray" wrote:
>> >
>> > > When you go to the linked table manager, click the button down at the 
>> > > bottom
>> > > that say "always check for new location." Then give it the new name 
>> > > and file
>> > > location.
>> > > -- 
>> > > Milton Purdy
>> > > ACCESS
>> > > State of Arkansas
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > "webeinky" wrote:
>> > >
>> > > > Hi,
>> > > >
>> > > > I have Access programs that are linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Due 
>> > > > to
>> > > > circumstances beyond my control the sheet names have been changed 
>> > > > and I will
>> > > > have to use the new names in my programs.
>> > > >
>> > > > I have tried to go into Link Manager but it does not let me change 
>> > > > the sheet
>> > > > name only the file name.
>> > > >
>> > > > Does anyone know an easy way to change the Sheet name in a linked 
>> > > > Excel
>> > > > spreadsheet without messing up the connections in queries etc.
>> > > >
>> > > > Thank you in advance for your help
>> > > >
>> > > > -- 
>> > > > Nancy 


0
david
5/25/2010 12:27:46 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

External data link change
Hi, I've a sheet linked to an external data on the net, and I would like that a cell in this sheet to indicate the last date and time it was updated, the simplest way the better but I can do some programming too. Thanks for your attention, -- Domingos Junqueira No need of help any more, I solved the question. Thanks again ...

Why does the change change to a number?
Hi all, I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens. When you type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a 'general' cell, it turns into a number. How does it come up with that number? What is the significance? i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format, and it then says "39423". I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up. I'm curious myself too. Thanks! Joe It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for windows (M...

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The
If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The specified network name is no longer available." again. how to clean this up? after this the stream writer is stuck connected until i restart my process. ...

How to Unhide or Hide Multiple Sheets at One GO?
Hi Everyone I guess my Subject Title has already said what I need to know. SO is i possible to hide or unhide a selection of worksheets at one go? Cheers Kelvi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Kelvin, Select the sheets to hide, then Format>Sheet>Hide -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "hce >" <<hce.12cnl1@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:hce.12cnl1@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi Everyone > > I guess my Subject Title has a...

changing the way Excel displays selected cells
Is there a way to change the way Excel displays selected cells? I'm interested in viewing all the selected cells highlighted (with light blue for instance), but by default excel highlights all the cells but not the first one the same occurs when you define a range with no adyacents cells Your definition of the display is not quite correct. Excel highlights the current cell, Excel also highlights a selecte range. The currently selected cell is generally the first of a range, bu press enter and the current cell changes and becomes the second, the third etc in the range. You cannot...

Track Changes
How do i remove the track changes in outlook? When i press "Enter", a symbol that represents "Enter" will appears. Same for space etc. ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5
I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930879 This will seemingly take care of calendars for mailboxes still on Exchange 5.5 servers, as Exchange 5.5 is listed as "compatible" . However would this address the CDO issues such as BlackBerry users and OWA users still on Exchange 5.5 ? Thanks in advance, Itrcb4 On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:31:00 -0800, itrcb4 <itrcb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: > >http://su...

more on VBA function name change
I thought I'd start a new thread since I haven't received any replies to my first one... To recap: I've declared a function in a module using mixed case: Function TMDE_Category (FormName As Form) I noticed recently that it appeared in the module as Function tmde_category(FormName As Form) I changed it back to the mixed case declaration, saved the module, exited the app, reopened it and looked. The function had changed back to the all lowercase declaration. Things I've tried since the original post: Using the databse documenter, I selected all ob...

Stop sheet showing when Using Datapig's Force Users to enable macr
Hi, I think this is probably not do-able I'm using Datapig Technologies example to force users to enable macros When the workbook is closed all sheets other than a warning sheet are very hidden so that if the workbook is opened with macros disabled then the user can only see a warning sheet saying to close and open with macros enabled. Then on opening with macros enabled the waring sheet is very hidden and the other sheets can be seen. Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Sheets("Warning").Visible = True Sh...

Can't Publish changes with Deploy Manager
After a migration process, I can't publish the changes made on CRM. When I try do this in Deploy Manager I get the follow error: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Publish done with errors. See the event log to get deitails NETRA-INOVACAO: ***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from Web Server ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Can somebody help me? I don't know if the migration process have any relationship with the error. Thank you for pay attention. []'s Vin´┐Żcius Pitta...

How to change icon for my application
Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank you. Raed Sawalha wrote: > Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i > wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank > you. > > Open the icon resource for editing by double clicking. Then notice the control just above the editing grid that lets you switch between editing the large icon and editing the small one. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] thanx that work...

How to change newsgroup message font
Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? regards "nobody" wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane... > Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? Newsgroup messages are usually plain text. The font used is that selected at [no name tab] > Options > Mail > Read > Fonts for the encoding specified for the messag...

Notify change of email address when changing ISP
How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? Thanks By sending a mail to everyone ? If you do so, please use BCC for the adresses, this way you won't spread everybody's e-mail adres to everybody. Niels Bob Baker wrote: > How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? > Thanks ...

Change a formula to an acual number
I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created Example: Cell A1 is the number 1. Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creatin the number 2. I want this to be a two not a formula. Any ideas? Laura, copy, then paste special, valves -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

linked sheets
Hi all I have a spreadsheet with a number of sheets. on sheet one is a merge row in column a with the heading and then various rows with the data A N 123 B A 123 C M 334 D E 233 The first 3/4 rows are identical on the next sheets and are linked to sheet 1 (if sheet 1 changes the data changes). However I may need to add a new row in sheet one (in example above a new row between the 123 and 123. Is there a way that will update the new row on the other sheets. Any suggestions greatly appreciated Rexmann Ps I use Excel XP on the sheets other than sheet1 in column A use =indirect...

Problem Changing an Investment Name
I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted investment. Please enter a different name." When I go to delete investments the name does not appear! Any ideas on how I get Money to accept the name change? This is the first time I have run into this situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years. In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote: >I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name >or symbol 'TRP Spec...

Should I change this code?
Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help..........Bob Private Sub Command560_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command556_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "frmClientInfomation" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Exit_Command556_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command556_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command556_Click End Sub On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:37:26 +1200, "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help.....

Need to reference a block of cells from another sheet.
Dear All, apologies if this is probably a mundane question, but I didn't know what 'search terms' to put in google to return any results.. I've got a Spreadsheet with 12 tabs (sheets), I need part of tab 12 (sheet) to appear on tabs 1-11 (sheets), so that if I change data in tab 12 (sheet), tabs 1-11 (sheets) are changed too.. the cells themselves will never move location, just the data within them.. Is it possible? Regards Paul. On your sheet1 select the cell that should receive the data from Sheet12; Hold down the Shift key and Click on Sheet11 << this shoul...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003
Can someone tell me how to change tthe default font in Outlook 2003 when composing a new email. It always comes up as Times New Roman. I remember somewhere that I specified that Outlook should use Word as the text editor and that seems to be the case. I have Arial as my default font in Word but this seems to make no difference when using Outlook. Hi, Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Stationery and Fonts > Fonts It's right there :) On 20 Nov 2005 06:28:45 -0800, amarsarit@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, >Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Statione...

icon changes with change of extension
when we change the extension of a file in windows, its icon also changes..... how does windows do tht. in my application i require a similar approach. i want the icon to be dependent on the file extension not on the attributes of the file. i have gone trough the registry but things are not very clear. Windows has listed all the file extensions avaliable there, but there is no general way to extract icons for those extension... kindly help icon changes with change of extension "Neelu" <nemesia31@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161232739.720722.120950@b28g2000cwb.google...

BUG?!: PP 2007 does display all "Paste as link" charts of Excel 20
I discovered a bug in Excel / PP 2007 which I can easily reproduce. I have a simple "test" files if somebody wants to take a look. The basic outline is like this. 1) I create some graphs in Excel with considerable distance, so that they are not both visible on the screen simontainously. 2) I copy (by selecting a range containing the graphs), then paste-link (as dynamic graphics) the two chars into PP, each in its separate slide. 3) Now, If I rightclick and choose "update", the one which is not visible in Excel will not be shown! To me, it seems like Excel saves...

Field Type Change
I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my current database, that already has data entered for this particular field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization that are just typed in differently. I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed so I won't lose any data. Is this possible or will I need to delete the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data? Thanks in advance! Mike Thanks everyone for all the input and advice s...

HELP!!! Missing Links!!!
Please can someone please tell me how to locate where a corup link in a spreadsheet might be. When I open up my workbook it tells me that it "contains one or more links that can not be updated." I then choose EDIT --> LINKS to check the status of the links but all the links show as being just fine. There are no broken links. But when I open up the file again I get the same message. Does anyone know how to nerrow it down so i can find out what link seems to be broken/missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Steve Download and use Findlink http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/...

Tracking Changes
I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot figure it out. THanks Peter On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:08:06 -0800, Peter SSI <Peter SSI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to >chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can >anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot >figure i...