Cannot open .mdb file by double click when another user has opened

Hi,

Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our
team and we could edit it at one time.
After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive
at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double
clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network drive,
it is accessible.

What may be the reason of such strange situation?

I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
this is the reason?

Peeter
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

All the users need to have read, write, create, and delete privileges for
both the database file AND the folder where it is located.

Also the database should be split into a Back End with all the tables and a
Front End containing the forms, reports, and queries. The BE goes on the
server while a copy of the FE goes on each user's PC.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Peter" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
> Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our
> team and we could edit it at one time.
> After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive
> at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double
> clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
> double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
> But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
> after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network drive,
> it is accessible.
>
> What may be the reason of such strange situation?
>
> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
> this is the reason?
>
> Peeter
the work around _MIGHT_ be to go and open MS Access and then open the
file, by using File, Open and then browse for the busy file.

I've found a lot of situations where I must do that to open Access
database, I'm really surprised that more people around here don't know
this workaround!

-Aaron

Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
>Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in our
>team and we could edit it at one time.
>After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared drive
>at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by double
>clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
>double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
>But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
>after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network drive,
>it is accessible.

To add to Jerry's response.   You want to split the MDB into a Front End MDB
containing the queries, forms, reports, macros and modules with just the tables and
relationships in the Back End MDB.  The FE is copied to each network users computer.
The FE MDB is linked to the tables in the back end MDB which resides on a server.
You make updates to the FE MDB and distribute them to the users, likely as an MDE.

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info.  See the free Auto FE
Updater utility at http://www.autofeupdater.com/ to make the distribution of new FEs
relatively painless..   The utility also supports Terminal Server/Citrix quite
nicely.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony

On top, a DDE problem. Shell is probably using DDE
to tell Access which file to open. It fails with no error
message (a characteristic of DDE). Probably a timing issue.

> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are,
> may be this is the reason?

That would make the network slower. It may cause timing issues.

If this is right, possible solution would be to disable Opportunistic
Locking on the Server and/or on the Workstations.

Easier solution would be to open Access first, then open the
database from Access menu.

(david)

> Hi,
>
> Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
> Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in
> our
> team and we could edit it at one time.
> After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared
> drive
> at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by
> double
> clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
> double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
> But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
> after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network
> drive,
> it is accessible.
>
> What may be the reason of such strange situation?
>
> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
> this is the reason?
>
> Peeter

0
david
3/1/2010 1:26:42 AM
fghjkklll

"david" <david@nospam.au> a �crit dans le message de groupe de discussion :
OyNvB5NuKHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Underneath, an OPLOCKS problem. First user has
> automatic opportunistic locking from Server 2008, and
> must release the database back to the server before
> it can be opened. Probably a timing issue here.
>
> On top, a DDE problem. Shell is probably using DDE
> to tell Access which file to open. It fails with no error
> message (a characteristic of DDE). Probably a timing issue.
>
>> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are,
>> may be this is the reason?
>
> That would make the network slower. It may cause timing issues.
>

> If this is right, possible solution would be to disable Opportunistic
> Locking on the Server and/or on the Workstations.
>
> Easier solution would be to open Access first, then open the
> database from Access menu.
>
> (david)
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today i get information that our local file server was moved to windows
>> Server 2008 and also our .mdb files were moved. We have .mdb database in
>> our
>> team and we could edit it at one time.
>> After this server migration we cannot open this .mdb file from shared
>> drive
>> at one time. Now we have situation if one user has already opened by
>> double
>> clicking this .mdb file, another user cannot open the same .mdb file by
>> double clicking this file and don't receive any error messages.
>> But very interesting is that if second person will open Access first and
>> after that will open .mdb file through "Open" menu from shared network
>> drive,
>> it is accessible.
>>
>> What may be the reason of such strange situation?
>>
>> I heard that new server is not in the same domain than users are, may be
>> this is the reason?
>>
>> Peeter

0
joelgeraldine

Getting text to appear in another cell
Hi, I am using Excel 2003. There maybe a simple solution for this, but being very new to Excel I am struggling a bit and would be grateful for any help. I am developing a horse tracking spreadsheet. What I want to do is create a formula that does the following: If I input "W" into cell, say J6, I want the character "L" to automatically show up in J5 and J7. Likewise, if I input "W" into J5, I would want the character "L" automatically inserted into J6 and J7 and the same goes for a "W" into J7, the character "L" would be automati...

Publisher 2000

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

OL 2003 .nk2 file clears on reboot
We have a client machine whose NK2 file is cleared on reboot. We have tried creating deleting the nk2 file to have OL create a new one, created a new OL profile with no luck. When we copied another users nk2 file to his directory and renamed it to his profile the data is picked up, but no new address are stored. outlook writes to the file when it closes - so it seems outlook is not closing correctly. is there a pda or an application using outlook data? if so, close it first. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? h...

amalgamating archive files
I have several archive files and I'd like to combine them into a single one. Is there a way to do this? Thanks. Howie ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

cannot open excel file from outlook

opening links

Update complete excel file online
Dear all, Hope you can help me with this problem. An excel file is updated on a daily basis and can only be found on the internet. The basic format of this file is always the same, the only changing aspect is the data. How, or if even possible, could I implement something (e.g. a button?) which automatically implements the updated sheet from the Internet. I am really looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks a lot and best regards, ...

SheetName (Application.Caller.Parent.Name) Forces Excel to Save File
I have a VBA function in Excel that I have been using for years that will display the sheet name in a cell. The VBA function is as follows: Function SheetName() As String Application.Volatile SheetName = Application.Caller.Parent.Name End Function This works great. However, I have found that if I am using this function if I open a worksheet and not change anything Excel will prompt me if I want to save the worksheet if I have not made any changes. Why is this happening and is there a way to prevent this from happening? Thanks, Mike The problem may be Application.Volitile If ...

Best file recovery program?
I need a good file recovery program that will run both under Vista and Win 7. It needs to be able to salvage files both deleted and those lost because of disc errors. It also needs to be able to work with both internal and external hard discs, and all flavors of CD and DVD. Any recommendations? Most of the ones that allow you to download a trial have crippled to trial so much that it's really hard to judge them. Incidentally, I ran the free Recuva on a DVD-RW; I started it at 12:30 PM and at 5:30 AM (17 hours later) it showed 89% complete, and at 8:00 it had stopped with th...

using my Money 2005 file on two different computers
I use MS Money 2005 for my personal financle data. My Money file lives on my computer. I want to have my bookkeeper enter data into this file. I want to be able to have her work on the data from her computer which is networked to my computer. We have tried opening the file from her computer over the network with no sucess. We can see the file but the password does not work. We have tried burning the file to a CD but when we try to open the file from her computer we can get the password to work. The same thing that happens when we try to restore a backup on her computer. We tried usi...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

ost file #2
My Exchange account was deleted from my Outlook today. All of my data is in the .ost file. Is there any way to recover the data into a .pst file? I am having trouble reinstalling the Exchange account. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. assuming that the ost is still attached to your profile, just start the computer with no network connection. Logon to your windows box like normal and then start Outlook. Go into offline mode and export to a pst. if the ost is no longer associated to a profile, copy it off somewhere for safe keeping and then try the following. create a n...

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

email addresses not being populated for new users in certain AD fo
Hi, We have a strange problem that I think is related to the recipient update services although I cannot see any errors being logged. When I create a new user via AD Users and computers, if I create it in an OU that we have manually created, the users gets created and then a few minutes later all the email addresses appear in the email tab and the user can login into windows and then use outlook to attach to their mailbox. All good so far. However, if I create a user in the default "Users" folder or "users\recipients" then the email addresses never get populated and...