Calculating...

ACC 2003
I have a form  with a tab control at the bottom. The first tab
has just a single control named txtComment. The other two tabs
contain a different subform.

The main form is based on a table - Equipment.
Each subform is independent of the other and each is based on
a table with a 1-many relationship to Equipment.
These tables are Maintenance and Movements.

When moving from record to record, there is a delay before
each new record is displayed. During this delay, the status bar
displays the message "Calculating..." which then changes to
"Form View"

This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
share. It performs faster on my stand-alone machine but there the
delay is only about one third of a second. On the network the
delay is around 10 seconds.

How can I find out what is being calculated?

--
Len
remove nothing for valid email address.

0
Len
5/12/2010 4:19:48 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hi

Not sure if it's any use to you, but I used to have this problem on a test
database that I used to plan thing in.
One of the forms (FE) used to take up to 20 seconds to load but if the same
DB was run just on a stand alone machine it was fine.
I found the problem by copying the form and just deleting each control until
I got it.  It was an unbound text box that was bringing data from a DLookUp
on load.

As we can't see your app I suggest you try that same.
Work on a copy of the form and (if you have one/any) that base querries.
Start with the form and delete one control/lookup/code/onload/etc
It is time sonsumming but that the only thing that worked for me.

Maybe there is some code you can run to find the problem but best bet would
just be to step through the form/querries and find it that way.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

".Len B" wrote:

> ACC 2003
> I have a form  with a tab control at the bottom. The first tab
> has just a single control named txtComment. The other two tabs
> contain a different subform.
>
> The main form is based on a table - Equipment.
> Each subform is independent of the other and each is based on
> a table with a 1-many relationship to Equipment.
> These tables are Maintenance and Movements.
>
> When moving from record to record, there is a delay before
> each new record is displayed. During this delay, the status bar
> displays the message "Calculating..." which then changes to
> "Form View"
>
> This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
> share. It performs faster on my stand-alone machine but there the
> delay is only about one third of a second. On the network the
> delay is around 10 seconds.
>
> How can I find out what is being calculated?
>
> --
> Len
> remove nothing for valid email address.
>

> .

Just had a thought.

Do you have the tables indexed and the sort of the form/querry set to
something other than the indexes.
Worth a quick check.
If there is then you may find (on a large DB) that the form will loop
through to the end before displaying - and this will be worse if you're doing
this over a heavy use network.

Just a thought
--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

".Len B" wrote:

> ACC 2003
> I have a form  with a tab control at the bottom. The first tab
> has just a single control named txtComment. The other two tabs
> contain a different subform.
>
> The main form is based on a table - Equipment.
> Each subform is independent of the other and each is based on
> a table with a 1-many relationship to Equipment.
> These tables are Maintenance and Movements.
>
> When moving from record to record, there is a delay before
> each new record is displayed. During this delay, the status bar
> displays the message "Calculating..." which then changes to
> "Form View"
>
> This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
> share. It performs faster on my stand-alone machine but there the
> delay is only about one third of a second. On the network the
> delay is around 10 seconds.
>
> How can I find out what is being calculated?
>
> --
> Len
> remove nothing for valid email address.
>

> .

Thanks for the ideas wayne,
The form is unordered. There are only 69 equipment records entered so
far.
There are 2 combo controls which are used to go to a specific record.

The OnCurrent code syncs these combos and colours some controls if
disposed is checked.

Two controls have domain functions. There is a text box bound to location
id and another
text box which looks up the location on plain language. Another control
uses DSum to add
the values of all the related maintenance records for the equipment item.
No maintenance
records have been entered yet.

Looking at that, all I can suspect is the DSum. In the morning I'll
unbind that control and
have a play. I can't blame anything else and with only 69 records ...

--
"Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Just had a thought.
|
| Do you have the tables indexed and the sort of the form/querry set to
| something other than the indexes.
| Worth a quick check.
| If there is then you may find (on a large DB) that the form will loop
| through to the end before displaying - and this will be worse if you're
doing
| this over a heavy use network.
|
| Just a thought
| --
| Wayne
| Manchester, England.
|

| ".Len B" wrote:
|
| > ACC 2003
| > I have a form  with a tab control at the bottom. The first tab
| > has just a single control named txtComment. The other two tabs
| > contain a different subform.
| >
| > The main form is based on a table - Equipment.
| > Each subform is independent of the other and each is based on
| > a table with a 1-many relationship to Equipment.
| > These tables are Maintenance and Movements.
| >
| > When moving from record to record, there is a delay before
| > each new record is displayed. During this delay, the status bar
| > displays the message "Calculating..." which then changes to
| > "Form View"
| >
| > This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
| > share. It performs faster on my stand-alone machine but there the
| > delay is only about one third of a second. On the network the
| > delay is around 10 seconds.
| >
| > How can I find out what is being calculated?
| >
| > --
| > Len
| > ______________________________________________________
| > remove nothing for valid email address.
| >

| > .

0
Len
5/12/2010 10:56:00 AM
Also, one line in your post concerns me:

"This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
share."

This sounds as if you have multiple users sharing a single front end on your
network. If this is correct, this really defeats the entire purpose of
splitting the database. A copy of the front end should be on each user's hard
drive.

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
5/12/2010 1:24:46 PM
Hi Linq
I have a file server and two terminal servers, gigabit connected. Both
BEs
and the FE live in a share on the file server. ACC2003 is installed on
both
terminal servers. The terminal servers are load balanced.

If I read your post correctly, you would recommend moving a copy of the
FE
to each user's profile on the TS.

Nevertheless, that isn't the issue YET. At the moment, there is only one
user
who is entering the opening equipment records. It is she who is
experiencing
these delays.

--
"Linq Adams via AccessMonster.com" <u28780@uwe> wrote in message
| Also, one line in your post concerns me:
|
| "This app is deployed with both BEs & FE in the same the network
| share."
|
| This sounds as if you have multiple users sharing a single front end on
your
| network. If this is correct, this really defeats the entire purpose of
| splitting the database. A copy of the front end should be on each
user's hard
| drive.
|
| --
| There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat!
|
| Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Len

calculations of total time assigned to person
I have a scheduling form where in the main form I have Date, Personnel(listbox), and joblocnumer(combobox) and what is picked in the list and combo box schedule and assigned people to do given jobs for a given day. - this is displayed in the subform. I would like to be able to assign the jobs and see how many total hours PER PERSON is assigned - so I don't over schedule someone. Not sure how and where to do this calculation???? since need it by PersonnelIdnum Thanks, Barb You can do it one of two ways: 1)Schedule each person from a start time to an end time for each job or 2)Ass...

Calculating Dates and Hours
Hi there, I'm trying to calculation days and hours. For example cell A1 22.12.03 09:00 AM cell B1 24.12.03 04.00 PM cell C1 the result for example 2 days and 14 hours or an other format. Can anybody help me??? Regards, Tom Hi one way: - Enter the formula: =B1-A1 - format Ce with the custome format [hh]:mm and you get the total hours Another way: - enter the formula: =INT(B1-A1)-(B1<A1) & " days and " & (B1-A1)-INT(B1-A1)+(B1<A1) & " hours" Though this output can't be used directly in other calculations -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Ge...

Formula for calculating Gross Profit with muktiple discounts
List Price less Disc1 less Disc2 equals Net Price. Sell price less net price equal profit divided by sell price equal gross margin percentage. $10 less 50% less 10% =$4.50. Sell for $12.50. $6.00 less $4.50 =$1.50. $1.50/6.00 = 25% GP. All of these figures are in cells of their own. Cannot get this to calculate correcly. Please help! Urgent With $10 in A1 use =A1*(1-50%)*(1-10%) to get $4.50 To get avoid rounding problems I would use =ROUND(A1*(1-50%)*(1-10%),2) I cannot follow the rest. What is the $12.50 figure? For profit: A2 = 4.50, B2=6, profit =(B2-B1)/B2 and format as percent b...

% calculation
I have a database with names (a1) dates(d1) months (e1) and dates (g1) (other colums are irrelevant like job descriptions) We have several daily events and I need to work out calculation of who attands what % of daily and monthly events. How would I do this? -- Meggen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Meggen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24942 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=384793 Do you have information on who attends these events in your "database"? I...

Age Calculation
I have the following sample field and record Age ApprovedDate 40 15-05-2000 Age-number field that shows the current age in 2010 Approveddate - date field when the application was approved. How to calculate the age of the applicants at the point of approval. In the above example the age would be 30... Thanks On Thu, 13 May 2010 17:41:01 -0700, zyus <zyus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have the following sample field and record > >Age ApprovedDate >40 15-05-2000 > >Age-number field that shows the current age in 2010 >A...

Date and Time Calculations #2
What would my formula and format of cells be for calculating hours between dates and times. Ex. Start Time- 1/1/04 8:00 AM and End Time 1/3/04 5:00 PM. An example of the formula and format of each cell for this equation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Hi Matilda =B1-A1 with A1: Start time B1: End time format target cell with the custom format [h]:mm HTH Frank matilda wrote: > What would my formula and format of cells be for calculating hours > between dates and times. > Ex. Start Time- 1/1/04 8:00 AM and End Time 1/3/04 5:00 PM. An > example of the formula and ...

Excel Calculator..
How would I go about this and is it doable? I want to make a calculator that will determine the number of stamps needed to get postage needed. Column A will contain the header "Stamp Value". Below it will be every stamp denomination currently available, ie: .42, .17, .27, .01, .03, etc.I'll input these and change them as necessary. Column B will have check boxes that you can check off what stamps you have.. for example in our office I have $1.00 stamps, .42 cents, .27 cents, and .17 cents only. One of the cells on the sheet you will input how much postage you need.. f...

on build and calculate
Hello all, We are having an issue where and error message comes up while doing a batch build in payroll. "The execute permission was denied on the object 'zdp_APR00400_1' datebase '???' schema 'dbo' we have to click ok several times and then it fine except it does show warnings in the calculate however it will go through. we did get once "An Attendance transaction does not exist in Human resource". and on that I went to Reconcile HR and selected "Create position and pay code links" and "Reconcile Attenddance Transactions" Ru...

Calculated field & hiding #Error results
I have a calculated field in a report I am running in Access 2003. The report shows attendance percentages for 3 shifts over 3 zones. However, only one shift has employees in the third zone, the other two do not. When I run the report I get #Error because the calculated field is: =[Zone1Actual]/[Zone1AuthRoll] and Zone 1, for example, does not have an Authorized roll number so the calculation is zero divided by zero. I thought that the following might work: =Nz([Zone1Actual])/Nz([Zone1AuthRoll]) But I still get #Error in this field on the report. Any suggestions? =IIf([Zone1AuthRoll]=...

error calculating taxable income
I recently set up Money 2003 to track my employer matching dollars in my weekly paycheck. All appeared fine until I ran the report for taxes. My Money taxable income does not match my paystub. It is off by the exact amount of the employer matching amount. In other words, Money's taxable income amount is less by the employer matching amount. It appears that Money is subtracting the employer matching dollar amount from the gross income figure I enter. Is there a glich in the program? Is your matching money for your retirement plan? If so, it shouldn't be taxable. Otherwi...

Excel: Is there a way to calculate the date as week of month?
I have need to show dates as follows: 1/1/05 = 1st Saturday of January...any ideas out there? You can't format the dates as 2nd Sunday of January 2005 but there are ways of using formulas to get nth day etc http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#NthDoW Regards, Peo Sjoblom "debra adams" wrote: > I have need to show dates as follows: 1/1/05 = 1st Saturday of January...any > ideas out there? As Peo mentioned, I doubt you can format the dates as such. You can, however, convert it to a text string in another cell. Assuming your dates are in column A, star...

Date Calculation
I have two fields in a query: "Date Completed" (mm/dd/yyyy) and "Time Used (hours)" (nn.n). I want to calculate a third field "Date Started". Assuming an eight-hour day, the equation should be [Date Completed] - [Time Used (hours)]/8 but I can't figure out which Date/Time functions to use to convert my dates and hours to the same units to do the calculation and then back to a date in the format mm/dd/yyyy again. I am using Access 2007 and am not too competent with it. Thank you in advance for your help. A date_time is a data type, lik...

Userform Calculations
Hello, I would like to create a userform the will calculate the values in a series of textbox's and display the result in another textbox. Eg. User enters numbers into Textbox1, Textbox2 & Textbox3, result displayed in Textbox3. so, 1 + 2 = 3 How can I do this? Thanks Hi Short answer: Textbox3.Text = Val(Textbox1.Text) * Val(Textbox2.Text) But these tasks can be refined for weeks and weeks stuffing more and more programming ito it. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Followup to newsgroup only please. "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Date Difference Calculation is Incorrect
Hello: Below is a query that I created, and it is almost correct! The element that is the problem is in the first part of the CASE statement. That statement is to take the difference between the current date and the DUEDATE in GP and, if the difference is less than 0, it is to divide this difference by 30. But, this statement is coming up with 0 in some cases—1 or 2 in others. You see, it is only taking the left-hand side of the decimal point. Hence, if the division by 30 is to result in 0.34982, the result it comes up with is 0!!!! Any ideas? I have tried everything that the f...

RMS BUG REPORT & currency calculator question
I have a question about the Currency Calculator and a potential bug report: Can the order of the types of currency in the calculator be changed? They are labeled with letters, which makes me hopeful that they can. POSSIBLE BUG REPORT The Calculator reports $1 for the value of ONE roll of pennies. Now, unless penny rolls are different up in Redmond (home of Microsoft), they are $.50. WHAT GIVES? Can this value be changed by me? PLEASE, CC me on responses to the newsgroup. THANKS! ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes Bikes, Parts, Repairs &...

How is GP Calculating the Suggested
I have an issue where the Order Point Quantity is set to a number e.g. 200. When the PO is generated using PO Generator it doesn't create a Suggested Purchase Order. When the Order Point Quantity is increased to 400 it generates a suggested Purchase Order for 98. Where is the PO Generator basing its calculation for the suggested quantities. In the above Scenario, there are no stock in the Site/Warehouse and should create 200 as suggested Purchase Order. esage, PO Generator is seeing some quantity somewhere. Do you have other Sites where this item is stocked that PO Gen may be seein...

Calculating Minutes in Excel cntd..
Peo, This one worked, but now I am trying to add 26.25 plus 3.50, yet I come up with the answer of 29.75. I need it to read the same way so the value would be (30.15). Is there a way to modify the current formula so that these values add in multiples of 60 as well? A1 = 26.25, A2 = 3.50, A3 = A1+A2, A3 displays (29.75), can A3 display (30.15) instead? Original Formula you gave me: =--(INT(SUM(A1:A2)/60)&"."&TEXT(MOD(SUM(A1:A2),60),"00")) To interpret decimals as times instead of decimals, you will have to work very hard. Why not enter 26:25 in one c...

Pivot
Can anybody show me how to create a Calculated Item in a pivot table? I have a field called CLASS with the following values: Stock, Sales, Order and Target. I would want a field that calculates Stock minus Order. As per HELP, we have to ungroup each item and enter the calculation. I have done that but have never been successful in creating one. Either the system hangs up or I get a message that Calculated Item should be of the same field, which was how I defined it. Am I the only one who is having problem with this? -- bchan ----------------------------------------------------------...

What's the calculation to delete duplicate lines/data?
What's the calculation to delete duplicate lines/data? consolidate Hi try 'Data - Filter - Advanced Filter' and check 'Unique entries' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "EV" <EV@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:E6E885CE-0419-4F3A-83D5-7559A0394A7D@microsoft.com... > What's the calculation to delete duplicate lines/data? consolidate ...

SUM error
In all my rows and columns where i've put a SUM calculation for that row or column (ie as a Total), it shows a date (eg "Jan - 2003") instead of the sum of the cells. Phoebe H wrote: > In all my rows and columns where i've put a SUM calculation for that row or column (ie as a Total), it shows a date (eg "Jan - 2003") instead of the sum of the cells. Phoebe, The cells are lost likely formatted improperly. Highlight the cells, click on Format|Cells, on the number tab select number under category. tim Thanks Tim. An easy fix. I'm learning! Phoebe &quo...

Interest calculation #2
How can I get the monthly rate from a compounded annual interest rate? -- David B David B wrote: > How can I get the monthly rate from a compounded > annual interest rate? I assume you mean "the monthly compounded rate from the annual percentage rate (APR)". Some people will say: simply divide APR by 12. But if the compounding frequency is monthly, the correct monthly rate is =RATE(12,,-1,1.045) for an APR of 4.5%, for example (1.045 = 1 + APR). However, even when the rate is specified in monthly or annual terms, it is often compounded daily. In that case, the monthly r...

Does anyone have a formula to calculate the car lease payments
Hi, I am just looking for a formula that will allow me to calculate the monthly repayments for a car lease. Thanks in advance The PMT function may help you out. Look at Excels help for details regarding its arguments and use. "Captain Jack" wrote: > Hi, > > I am just looking for a formula that will allow me to calculate the monthly > repayments for a car lease. Thanks in advance see if this helps http://tinyurl.com/dxnq4 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Captain Jack" <Captain Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

sorting and getting calculations in other columns use new rows
I have got a worksheet where column A is the date, but not in order. Other columns have finance information, and contain calculations using data from other cells. eg A12=10/10/2005 B12=C25*1.175 If I now sort on column A (the date column) I find that B12 refers to some other cell in column C, whereas I want it to take the value from where C25 has now moved to. What am I doing wrong? (hope this makes sense) Thanks Rod Hi You need to mark your whole range of data before choosing Sort, then the other data will move in line with the sorted column(s) Regards Roger Govier reades wrot...

Calculating special loan amortization
Hi, How do I create a formula for this scenario: Loan = 1000000 Income = 180000 Rate = 3.5% Amortization = Income - Yearly interest rate amount In how many years will the loan be repaid? I also wish to know the amortization, interest rate, and current loan amounts per year. Thanks! /Kenneth -- kuntri ------------------------------------------------------------------------ kuntri's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36799 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=565115 Hello, =NPER(0.035,180000,-1000000,0,0) which...

Calculate the percentage from the cost and recommended sell price
Hi, In Excel example. The cost price is 20.00 and the recommended sell price is 30.00. What is the formulae to calculate the percentage markup of the recomended sell price? A1= 20 B1=30 =(B1-A1)/A1 normal markup as percentage of cost price or =(B1-A1)/B1 markup as percentage of retail price formatted as percentage -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:60F31F92-1338-4972-AF64-8A32886F9130@microsoft.com... > Hi, > In Excel example. The cost price is 20.00 and the recommended sell price > ...