Best Way To Query The Following Information

I have a form and a database in MS Access 2003 that was developed by a
programmer over 4 years ago.  The database was created through
unconventional methods so one table holds a majority of the fields.
The form is used to input help desk tickets now, but management wants
to start querying different types of information from it.  I was
tasked to create a section on the form that indicates if a technician
group has either "passed", "failed" or is in a "failed but
resubmitted" for a certain ticket.  I have a checkbox to indicate each
state.  There are a series of for stages on this form that have the
three checkboxes; so to sum it all up, each stage has 3 checkboxes so
with 4 stages, there are a total of 12 checkboxes.  Each checkbox
corresponds with a yes/no attribute in the database (so there is 12
yes/no) boxes in the db

The complication comes from the query.  How in the world can i make a
query for example of all of the tickets with stage 2 fails, without
pulling a ticket that has a stage 2 fails, but other stage fails too.
I know this sounds like a mess (it is).  But this is as best as I can
explain it.

The end result I would like is to be able to make a query that gives
me all tickets that are in failure status at the present time..(not
the ones that have failed in the past and been resubmitted)

I can try to give more details if needed.

Thanks
0
Chris
12/27/2007 2:37:28 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Chris

I may not be following...

Are you saying you have added 12 Yes/No fields to handle three outcomes
times 4 stages?  If so, what will you do when a fifth stage is added?  Or a
fourth outcome?  If that is your design, you will have a maintenance
headache, modifying your table, your queries, forms, reports, macros, code,

Instead, try a table structure that includes (add these) one field for
outcome and one field for stage.  Now create two new tables, a lookup table
for outcome and a lookup table for stage.  If anything changes, you only
need to make a single change, in the lookup table!

Good luck!

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

"Chris" <chris.hogan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a form and a database in MS Access 2003 that was developed by a
> programmer over 4 years ago.  The database was created through
> unconventional methods so one table holds a majority of the fields.
> The form is used to input help desk tickets now, but management wants
> to start querying different types of information from it.  I was
> tasked to create a section on the form that indicates if a technician
> group has either "passed", "failed" or is in a "failed but
> resubmitted" for a certain ticket.  I have a checkbox to indicate each
> state.  There are a series of for stages on this form that have the
> three checkboxes; so to sum it all up, each stage has 3 checkboxes so
> with 4 stages, there are a total of 12 checkboxes.  Each checkbox
> corresponds with a yes/no attribute in the database (so there is 12
> yes/no) boxes in the db
>
> The complication comes from the query.  How in the world can i make a
> query for example of all of the tickets with stage 2 fails, without
> pulling a ticket that has a stage 2 fails, but other stage fails too.
> I know this sounds like a mess (it is).  But this is as best as I can
> explain it.
>
> The end result I would like is to be able to make a query that gives
> me all tickets that are in failure status at the present time..(not
> the ones that have failed in the past and been resubmitted)
>
> I can try to give more details if needed.
>
> Thanks

0
Jeff
12/27/2007 2:52:13 PM
Chris,

As you have indicated, this would be simpler were your database normalized
properly.

Reading your post, what I cannot figure out is how to determine what "the
present time" is?

Since Yes/No fields can only have two values (True/False, -1/0), what does
the data look like that defines a record this "in failure status at the
present time.. (not the ones that have failed in the past and been
resubmitted)"?  Do you end up with multiple records, or when they are
resubmitted, do you start checking checkboxes in the next "phase"?

It would help if you gave us some data that depicts each of the instances
you mention above!

Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Chris" wrote:

> I have a form and a database in MS Access 2003 that was developed by a
> programmer over 4 years ago.  The database was created through
> unconventional methods so one table holds a majority of the fields.
> The form is used to input help desk tickets now, but management wants
> to start querying different types of information from it.  I was
> tasked to create a section on the form that indicates if a technician
> group has either "passed", "failed" or is in a "failed but
> resubmitted" for a certain ticket.  I have a checkbox to indicate each
> state.  There are a series of for stages on this form that have the
> three checkboxes; so to sum it all up, each stage has 3 checkboxes so
> with 4 stages, there are a total of 12 checkboxes.  Each checkbox
> corresponds with a yes/no attribute in the database (so there is 12
> yes/no) boxes in the db
>
> The complication comes from the query.  How in the world can i make a
> query for example of all of the tickets with stage 2 fails, without
> pulling a ticket that has a stage 2 fails, but other stage fails too.
> I know this sounds like a mess (it is).  But this is as best as I can
> explain it.
>
> The end result I would like is to be able to make a query that gives
> me all tickets that are in failure status at the present time..(not
> the ones that have failed in the past and been resubmitted)
>
> I can try to give more details if needed.
>
> Thanks

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the prompt response.

You've got it exactly right!  and believe me, I know of the
maintenance nightmare...the way this DB was constructed is utterly
ridiculous.  I've been tasked with coming up with a way to track
progress of help desk tickets that already exist and will be coming
through in this DB.

The original form was constructed with no thought of proper design,
just end result, so it leaves me in a bit of a bind to try to work
around what is already there.

What the management wants is a way to indicate the status of a ticket
in a particular stage (i.e. checkboxes) and to be able to query at any
time the number of tickets that are in a particular status (pass/fail/
retried) at any given time.  Sort of a report card if you will of how
technician teams are doing...

I totally understand where you are going with your suggestion; and
with any other DB, that's the first thing I would have done....but I
think I am constrained to just checkboxes for now unless mgmt. comes
back and decides otherwise...

I know it is complicated; and if you have any way to point me in the
right direction of how to logically approach and attempt a query in
this fashion, it will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Chris

On Dec 27, 8:52=A0am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-
DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote:
> Chris
>
> I may not be following...
>
> Are you saying you have added 12 Yes/No fields to handle three outcomes
> times 4 stages? =A0If so, what will you do when a fifth stage is added? =
=A0Or a
> fourth outcome? =A0If that is your design, you will have a maintenance
> headache, modifying your table, your queries, forms, reports, macros, code=
,

> Instead, try a table structure that includes (add these) one field for
> outcome and one field for stage. =A0Now create two new tables, a lookup ta=
ble
> for outcome and a lookup table for stage. =A0If anything changes, you only=

> need to make a single change, in the lookup table!
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boycewww.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentorhttp://microsoftitacademy.com/

0
Chris
12/27/2007 3:14:17 PM
Hi Dale,

Thanks for your response.

Basically, the data in this table consists of about 70 fields (waaaay
too many for my taste, but I didn't design it)

The form feeds off the table and data is entered in for each ticket
for fields such as (tech name, manager name, priority, issue type,
type of work, completion data, hrs to complete, date opened, date
started, date closed, % completed, ticket description....then in a
different tab, still feeding off of the fields in the table, i've
labeled the 4 stages, then added 3 checkboxes to each stage (pass/fail/
retry) and each of those checkboxes have a corresponding yes/no field
in the table (12 yes/no fields in all)  Each record will have all of
the fields I stated above, and the checkboxes I just mentioned;  There
won't be duplicate records.

The query or type of query that mgmt is looking for would be:

Let me have a count of all of the tickets that are currently in failed
status.  That would be some what easy to do, except the fact that the
query could pull tickets that might have failed stage 1, but has
retried and made it to stage 3 and failed. So basically, the query
will pick up the stage 1 and stage 3 failure; thus giving an
inaccurate count.

Hope this sets the stage a little better..

Thanks again for your response

On Dec 27, 9:06=A0am, Dale Fye <dale....@nospam.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> As you have indicated, this would be simpler were your database normalized=

> properly.
>
> Reading your post, what I cannot figure out is how to determine what "the
> present time" is? =A0
>
> Since Yes/No fields can only have two values (True/False, -1/0), what does=

> the data look like that defines a record this "in failure status at the
> present time.. (not the ones that have failed in the past and been
> resubmitted)"? =A0Do you end up with multiple records, or when they are
> resubmitted, do you start checking checkboxes in the next "phase"?
>
> It would help if you gave us some data that depicts each of the instances
> you mention above!
>
> Dale
> --
> Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!
>
> email address is invalid
> Please reply to newsgroup only.

0
Chris
12/27/2007 3:31:35 PM
Chris

I'm not sure I understand the constraint that's keeping you from leaving the
old db as is and creating new tables to hold what you know you need to use
to get better functionality from Access' relationally-oriented features.

Regards

Jeff Boyce

On Dec 27, 8:52 am, "Jeff Boyce" <JeffBoyce...@msn.com-
DISCARD_HYPHEN_TO_END> wrote:
> Chris
>
> I may not be following...
>
> Are you saying you have added 12 Yes/No fields to handle three outcomes
> times 4 stages? If so, what will you do when a fifth stage is added? Or a
> fourth outcome? If that is your design, you will have a maintenance
> headache, modifying your table, your queries, forms, reports, macros,
> code,
>
> Instead, try a table structure that includes (add these) one field for
> outcome and one field for stage. Now create two new tables, a lookup table
> for outcome and a lookup table for stage. If anything changes, you only
> need to make a single change, in the lookup table!
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boycewww.InformationFutures.net
>
> Microsoft Office/Access MVPhttp://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>
> Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentorhttp://microsoftitacademy.com/

0
Jeff
12/27/2007 5:10:07 PM
I guess I am at a loss as to what needs to be done on how to implement
this so that the user interface (the form)...has the checkboxes that
mgmt. wants to see, while keeping the back end less complex, and still
providing them with the query (the previous mentioned query) that they
would need.

I see where you were going with your earlier suggestion; I'm just
unsure on how to give them what they want while keeping the
development simple.

On Dec 27, 11:10=A0am, "Jeff Boyce" <nonse...@nonsense.com> wrote:
> Chris
>
> I'm not sure I understand the constraint that's keeping you from leaving t=
he
> old db as is and creating new tables to hold what you know you need to use=

> to get better functionality from Access' relationally-oriented features.
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Office/Access MVP
0
Chris
12/27/2007 7:14:32 PM
So, if retry is checked, does that mean it originally failed at that stage
and then passed?

So for Phase 1, your data could look like:

Example #  P1_Pass    P1_Fail     P1_Retry
     1               X
     2                              X
     3                              X             X

Where in Example 1, it passed Phase 1 on the initial attempt.  In this case,
I assume that I would then have to check Phases 2, 3, and 4.

In example #2, it failed Phase1 and has not been retried.  If this were the
case, woud there ever be any entries in Phase 2,3, or 4.

In exampe #3, it initially failed Phase 1, but was then retried, and passed.
 In which case I would then have to check phases 2, 3, and 4.

Is this accurate?

Dale
--

"Chris" wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Basically, the data in this table consists of about 70 fields (waaaay
> too many for my taste, but I didn't design it)
>
> The form feeds off the table and data is entered in for each ticket
> for fields such as (tech name, manager name, priority, issue type,
> type of work, completion data, hrs to complete, date opened, date
> started, date closed, % completed, ticket description....then in a
> different tab, still feeding off of the fields in the table, i've
> labeled the 4 stages, then added 3 checkboxes to each stage (pass/fail/
> retry) and each of those checkboxes have a corresponding yes/no field
> in the table (12 yes/no fields in all)  Each record will have all of
> the fields I stated above, and the checkboxes I just mentioned;  There
> won't be duplicate records.
>
> The query or type of query that mgmt is looking for would be:
>
> Let me have a count of all of the tickets that are currently in failed
> status.  That would be some what easy to do, except the fact that the
> query could pull tickets that might have failed stage 1, but has
> retried and made it to stage 3 and failed. So basically, the query
> will pick up the stage 1 and stage 3 failure; thus giving an
> inaccurate count.
>
> Hope this sets the stage a little better..
>
> Thanks again for your response
>
> On Dec 27, 9:06 am, Dale Fye <dale....@nospam.com> wrote:
> > Chris,
> >
> > As you have indicated, this would be simpler were your database normalized
> > properly.
> >
> > Reading your post, what I cannot figure out is how to determine what "the
> > present time" is?
> >
> > Since Yes/No fields can only have two values (True/False, -1/0), what does
> > the data look like that defines a record this "in failure status at the
> > present time.. (not the ones that have failed in the past and been
> > resubmitted)"?  Do you end up with multiple records, or when they are
> > resubmitted, do you start checking checkboxes in the next "phase"?
> >
> > It would help if you gave us some data that depicts each of the instances
> > you mention above!
> >
> > Dale
> > --
> > Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!
> >
> > email address is invalid
> > Please reply to newsgroup only.

If these stages follow each other then
you need just one single combo box for each ticket showing the present
status.

Just fill your combo as ( stage,status )
1 pass
1 fail
1 retry
2 pass
2 fail
2 retry and so on

Then you can base your query on this combo box easily.
For finished works for instance your criteria would be "4 pass".
For stage 2 records "like 2*"

rgds
0
signfrom

Query Help 04-27-07
I have a form where the user can enter from 1 to 4 different criteria in text boxes. The text boxes are: ReceiptNum, Date, BuyerName, Staff. What I'm trying to accopmplish is to run a query based on that criteria. What I want, for example, is if I'm looking for a record of all sales on 11/30/2006, then I enter this in the Date field and leave the other fields empty. All sales on that date appear, regardless of Staff. If I'm looking for all sales on 11/30/2006 by Staff John Doe, then I enter 11/30/2006 in the Date field and John Doe in the Staff field and leave the other...

Fastest way to deploy changes
Hi everyone. I'm giving some advises to certain company. They have a Project STANDARD Environment (2007) and I've created several custom fields for their Projects. Since they have between 20 and 30 projects, I need to find the fastest way to deploy changes in that custom fields. So far I've followed these steps: 1.Make changes to the custom field in the project template. 2.Copy modified field to the global (overwriting the existing one) 3.Copy field from global to EACH project (have to open one by one) Changes include: formulas, lookup tables values, graphic ind...

Best Access to ASP.NET converster
Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET converter is? Thank you, V. -- Desktop Solutions for Small Companies http://www.micromango.com Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com I'm not aware of any of them being any good. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "vanleurth" <u13147@uwe> wrote in message news:72f5c6880730b@uwe... > Does anybody know what would the best Microsoft Access to ASP.NET > converter > is? > > Thank you, > > V. > > -- > Desktop Solution...

Information Store keeps stopping
We are running Exchange Server 5.5 and 1 or 2 times a day the Information Store is stopping. So far we have been able to restart it with no problems. In the system event log is the following message: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 15 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. I have searched everywhere that I can think of and any description of a problem that sounds even close to this just says to install the latest service pack to fix it. We already have the latest SP on it t...

Problem with installing Office information bridge Framework for MS
I have already sucessfully installed Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework Server 1.0 (server component) and Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework Client 1.5 (client component)(1.0 is not avaliable any more), and Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM server components. But when I install Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM client components, there is an error message as follows: SamrtTagRegistration.exe Application has been genenrated an exception that could not be handled. Process id=0xa24(2596), Thread id=0x164(356) Error 28000 Did anybody see th...

SQL Query needed
Sample Data Type # Amt # Trno # DC # Code # Subcode ADV # 1000 # 1 #D # 103625 # ADV # 1000 # 1 #C # 103400 # S1 ADV # 2000 # 2 #D # 103625 # ADV # 2000 # 2 #C # 103400 # S2 VES # 5000 # 1 #D # 103400 # S1 VES # 5000 # 1 #C # 300070 # S1 Now I wanna find out the details of Code & Subcode of Type(VES) which does not match with Type ADV Expected result should come with subcode of the other record ADV # 2000 # 2 #D # 103625 # S2 Thanks in advance Nirene -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server-programming/2010...

Need Query or Macro to Update Form
I have a form with two textboxes, both tied to field names in the table I am using for the form. The two fields are GroupName1 and Groupname2. I need to build a query or macro to run where if there is any text in Groupname2, to transfer the text to a new record where the text from Groupname2 is now in Groupname1 field. Please help!!! Thanks. Chris You've described "how" you want to solve a situation... but we have no idea what situation this is supposed to solve! More specific descriptions will probably lead to more specific suggestions. -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.In...

Group same type of field from 3 different queries
Can anyone help me with this? I have 3 different queries each summing up a value for a given month. Past sales, present sales, future sales, these only have two fields Month and value. What I want to do is create something like Month Past Present Future ------------------------------------- Jun 5278 3424 3454 Jul 5625 6254 5462 Jun 2562 5264 5262 Where it will merge the two values for Jun, this will account for more than one product showing a summary of all sales. Ive tried using crosstabs queries, nested queries, even writing ...

SQL query question 06-04-07
Hi all, I have a SQL query question... I have a table with road segments that have a low and high address (see sample QUERY below) I am wanting to produce a report of the roads that meet the following... 1. [FROM_ADD] > 0 AND ( 2. the [FROM_ADD] > [TO_ADD] OR 3. if there is more than one segment with the same name... the [FROM_ADD] < the previous road segment with the same name's [TO_ADD] ) So if I ran it on the query below, I would end up with... AARONDALE ROAD Because third segment's [FROM_ADD] ...

Best Seller Report
Hi, Need to get some info out of GP 10. We need a report to show our best selling items top seller down. Can't find this in GP. How do we get it? Thanks Dexter Southerland SmartList Builder, SQL Reporting Services, or Crystal. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com ...

Query Criteria Question
I'm trying to make a query of two tables however they both have multiple entries of the same information. One table has about 2300 Item Numbers with lots of duplicates; the other table has about 10000 Item Numbers with even more duplicates. What criteria do I need to use to get the query to find the first matchings in both tables and then move on to the next without using the previously matched numbers? Thanks In Advance, Rob Rob wrote: > I'm trying to make a query of two tables however they both have > multiple entries of the same information. One table has about 2300 >...

Show Query Design Toolbar
I am starting my database with the database window and built-in toolbars hidden. Certain people have the right to created new queries, so I have created a button (which is visible only for these people) that will display the database window so they can access queries. The problem is the Query Design Toolbar is not displayed when they go into Design view. I have tried to show the toolbar using the following statement, without success: ---DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Query Design", acToolbarYes I have tried putting this statement before and after the statement that opens the database window, a...

Use Of ":" In Query As Part Of Header
I have a query with a field name of "Street", however, I would like it to read "CAT:STREET". This query is exported to a csv file the requires the format of the later. Currently the csv file is modified manually afer the fact. In the query I have been unable to create an expression that does not choke on the ":". Any suggestion as to how allow this in the query, or maybe allow this in the export. Thanks in advance Hi Clint, You won't get that fixed. Can't you use as header CAT_STREET: Cloggy "Clint" wrote: > I have a query with a ...

SQL Trace: "Normalizing" TextData Column Values to Obtain "Query Signatures" for Hashing
Hi All, The TextData column in a SQL Trace table will contain a distinct string for any invocation of the captured SQL statement that was invoked with a set of parameters distinct from those before. So, for instance, 'EXEC dbo.PayThisInvoice 130254' is naturally different than 'EXEC dbo.PayThisInvoice 342902'. But, clearly, both statements involve invocation of the same stored procedure. For monitoring purposes over time, I need to be able to recognize that these and any similar statements are actually using the same underlying query. Standard practice, as I under...

Is there a way to hide text in a cell?
I'm trying to format a spreadsheet where some information (passwords) should only be viewed by certain people.... not for the general viewer. Is there a way to hide text in a cell? I have done it in the past but I can't seem to figure this out now. IT For a very casual and inexperienced user you may get away with something like this, but anything you do can be easily un-done by just about anyone who could access these news groups. You could format the text to white so's it wouldn't show in the cell. You can go to Format>Cell>Protection and check "hidden"...

Create an simple way to subscribe to Outlook!
For whatever reason, I cannot find an easy way to subscribe to Outlook. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=387e51a4-c3c2-40ce-aaff-eecff8fa68b2&dg=microsoft.public.outlook In news:387E5...

Easiest way to backorder all items on an order.
I have a client who needs to be able to backorder items where significant qtys already exist in Inventory. These would be quotes made into orders and they may have upwards of 100 a day. The date of some of the orders may be up to a year in the future so they do not want to allocate items that they could sell in the meantime but they need to have the qtys included when they auto generate POs. I have looked and there does not seem to be a way to automatically send the item to backorder but does anyone have an idea of the best way to change this manfully? I tried to work with macros but...

Is there an easier way?
There has got to be an easier to accomplish the same end results as the attached formula... any pointers? +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: Doc2.doc | |Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4133 | +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ -- wmaughan ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wmaughan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29743 View this thread: http://www.ex...

Query-Based Distribution Groups #2
I'm looking to create an LDAP query in Exchange 2003 that will show domain users that are currently logged on. This will allow me to create an email distribution group that contains only people who are in the office at that moment. Surely this must be possible as the query is searching Active Directory, but I've not been able to find a "logged on" attribute and I've trawled the web and newsgroups for answers but found nothing ... if anyone knows how to do this, I'd be very grateful of your help! Thanks, Rob "Robert Stokes" <rob@robertstokes.net...

Payables Management query
Hi everybody - can somebody tell me which table holds the invoice information for payables management. I have to make a query that show which checks paid for which invoices and I have to include the invoice description as well. Thanks!! PM10000 - PM Transaction WORK File PM20000 - PM Transaction OPEN File PM30200 - PM Paid Transaction History File Hope this helps, Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com Michael, I have posted code for a SQL view that may already have everything you need except the invoice descrip...

Reminder for a received email for follow up
I would like to put a reminder on an email already received. This reminder would basically call my attention to the email (even though the email is in a different folder). Is there a way I can easily do this? I'm using Outlook 2003 SP1. Thanks John Off the top of my head, quick and easy, drag and drop a copy into your calendar. -- K. Orland Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind; for the soul is dyed by the thoughts - Marcus Aurelius "John" wrote: > I would like to put a reminder on an email already received. This remi...

Charting challenge/query
The following quote is posted on behalf of a client using Windows and Office 2003 Standard. Please email responses directly to me, too, since I do not read this group much. Any help/insight would be most appreciated. I'll do my best to relay any questions people have and bring back any answers to said questions. <quote> The Goal: In an effort to come up with a new way of looking at organizational structure, I employed Excel's 'Donut Chart' function. My goal was to have the head of the organization in the middle of the chart and then that person's direct re...

Change the follow up date for multiple emails
Hi All, I have a group of 14 emails with follow-up dates set for today. I can't get to them today. Can I change their follow-up dates to tomorrow as a group, or do I need to do it one by one? Thanks, Michele ...

Filter and Query Records Mismatch
When I perform a filter on a table I get 371 records but when I design a query based on the same criteria, I get 63 records. And the result in my report is not showing the correct data based on this. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

function in query summing results of 2 switch functions?
can I build an expression in a query that sums the values of 2 computed fields in the same query. E.g, Sum(1-CF_1 + CF_2) ? CF_1 & CF_2 are 2 other fields that use Switch statements. THanks Zx slight correction. Can I do this in the Field builder window: field_B: (CF_1 + CF_2) if both CF_1 & CF_2 are computed fields in the query themselves (basically fields computed from switch statements). Access is giving me an error saying it does not recognize these as "a valid field name or expression". I'm not sure why - aren't they expressions :) ? ...