avoiding id duplication in shared file

I'm working with a project log form in Access which is 'shared' and on
the local network.
The form uses the record number as the 'project number' .
When several users are using the log at the same time, it will save
the entries as desired for the first person to access the form, but
the other people will get subsequent numbers.  Besides locking access
down to one user at a time, is there a way to notify the user of the
number changes, perhaps by email?
Thanks,
Louis

0
ll
5/7/2007 7:44:36 PM
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

if simple things like autonumber aren't reliable enough for you-- then
you should move to SQL Server and Acces Data Projects

On May 7, 12:44 pm, ll <barn104_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm working with a project log form in Access which is 'shared' and on
> the local network.
> The form uses the record number as the 'project number' .
> When several users are using the log at the same time, it will save
> the entries as desired for the first person to access the form, but
> the other people will get subsequent numbers.  Besides locking access
> down to one user at a time, is there a way to notify the user of the
> number changes, perhaps by email?
> Thanks,
> Louis

0
Todos
5/7/2007 8:14:23 PM
Thanks for your help,
Louis

0
ll
5/7/2007 8:24:37 PM
"T o d o s  M e n o s   [ M S F T ]" <t o d o s _ m e n o s _ ms f t@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>if simple things like autonumber aren't reliable enough for you-- then
>you should move to SQL Server and Acces Data Projects

Note that this person is really A a r o n   K e m p f and that he is not an employee
of Microsoft.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

0
ll
5/9/2007 1:46:36 PM
why are you relieved?

because you're fat and lazy and you don't need to learn a new language

your job should go to india, fucktards in america are too lazy to use
a real database

On May 9, 6:46 am, ll <barn104_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm relieved.  ;-)

0
Todos
5/15/2007 8:30:39 AM
SQL Server allows trigger notification via email

CREATE TRIGGER and XP_SENDMAIL

On May 7, 12:44 pm, ll <barn104_1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm working with a project log form in Access which is 'shared' and on
> the local network.
> The form uses the record number as the 'project number' .
> When several users are using the log at the same time, it will save
> the entries as desired for the first person to access the form, but
> the other people will get subsequent numbers.  Besides locking access
> down to one user at a time, is there a way to notify the user of the
> number changes, perhaps by email?
> Thanks,
> Louis

0
Todos
5/15/2007 8:31:17 AM
wrote:

>why are you relieved?
>
>because you're fat and lazy and you don't need to learn a new language

<additional racist comments snipped>

Note that this person is really A a r o n   K e m p f and that he is not an employee
of Microsoft.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
5/15/2007 4:35:19 PM
RACIST? RACIST?

HOW IS IT RACIST TO SAY THAT LOW-END DATABASE WORK GOT OUTSOURCED TO
INDIA A DECADE AGO?

note that tony is neither

MOST
VALUABLE
or a
PROFESSIONAL

anyone with a clue would have started using SQL Server a decade ago;
it is a completely superior platform in all regards-- with no
negatives

only a retard that can't learn a real database would ever use Access
MDB
I mean get real-- move to ADP or real VB-- either way, Access MDB is
dead and it has been for a decade

On May 15, 9:35 am, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...@telusplanet.net> wrote:
> "T o d o s   M e n o s  [ M S F T ]" <t o d o s_ m e n o s_ m s f t...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >why are you relieved?
>
> >because you're fat and lazy and you don't need to learn a new language
>
> <additional racist comments snipped>
>
> Note that this person is really A a r o n   K e m p f and that he is not an employee
> of Microsoft.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Todos

Initial Capitals
Word 2002 - I am entering lists of words that have no initial capital, but Word insists on capitalising the initial letter - how do I stop this, please? Check your autocorrect settings. There should be an option activated which capitalize the first letter. Deselect it. Yves "haywain" <haywain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB9E9550-5A9C-4813-96EC-7095654D22A0@microsoft.com... > Word 2002 - I am entering lists of words that have no initial capital, but > Word insists on capitalising the initial letter - how do I stop this, > please? ...

Duplicate email ID
Hi I have duplicate email ID in Exchange 2000. The problem is no result is found if i search by email id in active directory users and cvomputer. Is there any utility there with which i can search the userid having the same smtp email add Please Guide Regards Kartik Kartik <Kartik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have duplicate email ID in Exchange 2000. The problem is no result is >found if i search by email id in active directory users and cvomputer. Is >there any utility there with which i can search the userid having the same >smtp email add >Please Gu...

OWA
We currently use forms based authentication on our Exchange Server, but for people who are logged in on the internal network (but not at a computer with Outlook) we would like them to be able to acccess OWA and not have to log in again. (i.e. https:\\mail\exchange\username). Is there a way to do this and prevent the login prompt? Thanks Create another HTTP virtual server using different port w/same IP or default port but different IP? -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Jan" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ud3Bd%239rFHA.2072...

HOw to a stop Outlook loading a 'phantom' file
Outlook is now opening as well as my regular .pst file one called 'ow25'. There is nothing there but I can't close it or get rid of it. Can you please tell me how to ensure it doesn't open any more? rfc rfc <rfc_net@ yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook is now opening as well as my regular .pst file one called > 'ow25'. There is nothing there but I can't close it or get rid of it. > > Can you please tell me how to ensure it doesn't open any more? Can you remove it with File>Data File Management? If not, you'll need to create a new mail p...

Outlook 2007 seeing duplicate emails
i am seeing duplicate emails in in my inbox. Why? "VP" <VP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC212CDC-6D56-4394-98DA-D0475DB7C7E3@microsoft.com... >i am seeing duplicate emails in in my inbox. Why? Some things to examine: http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

excel duplicates problem
I'm trying to eliminate duplicates from an imported list and the advanced step has me stuck. When I get to the advanced filter, there are some word figures in the "list range". something like "$A$$660:$0$$" I click "ok" and it comes up with an error. What am I doing wrong? thanks Jason Just delete them all and reselect the correct ranges using the range select buttons in the dialog box. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 -------------------------------------...

View Publisher 2003 File
Is there a way to view a Pub 2003 file if the program is not installed on your computer? I need to see if I can open the file to save it as a PDF and send it to someone. Is this possible? Thanks! No... You can download the trial version of Publisher 2007. It will open Publisher 2003 files. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/FX100487821033.aspx If you send me the file I will convert it for you. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "KenPez" <KenPez@discussions.microso...

Creating & comparing separate variables with contents of separate text files...
Hi everyone, I got my script to work with help I received from this group, thank you! :) Now I would like to streamline it a bit and would greatly appreciate some pointers. 1. My script looks for specific (text-) files in a folder, stores a backup copy in the folder above and then compares these "pairs" after a second script potentially altered the original file. I have tried to figure this out, but: if I did not want to store an actual file, but rather put the contents into a variable, how is this possible using the "foreach" construction? I played around wit...

Series Numbering for Duplicate Entries?
Hello everyone! I have two columns, A and B. In column B I have 4527 rows filled with single and duplicate names. In column A I would like to number them in series so that it would follow the duplicates and single entries in column B. Column A | Column B ________________________________ 1| 212 1| 212 1| 212 2| 212 ON ICE GREEN 3| 212 WHITE 4| 273 INDIGO 4| 273 INDIGO 5| ACQUA DI GIO 5| ACQUA DI GIO Thanks, David --...

Import txt file with multiple rows for each record
I have a royalty report from SAP that I need to bring into Excel. It includes check number, payment date, amount, and check recipient. The problem is the "check recipient" information comes in on either 1,2,3, or 4 lines in the report. But the rest of the record information is all on line 1. This is random and will not be the EXACT same structure each month. Ex. 2539893 3/14/2002 55.09 Jane Doe Anytown USA 2539894 3/14/2002 79.99 Bob Evans 2539895 3/14/2002 5.00 John Smith 111 Mai...

Change Vendor ID
Has anyone written a SQL Script to change Vendor IDs? I realize that the "Changer" utility will do this.....but this is a one-time change of only a few records, and it is difficult to justify the cost of Changer for something like this. There are about 20 Vendors that were created before the current standard was put into place, and we would like to get them in-line with the rest. I have done a similar script in the past for Salesperson ID, so it shouldn't be that bad.....just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone else out there already has it done. Thanks in...

Temporary Files
Hi everybody, First, sorry for my english. I have Excel 2000 and when I save changes in a document, there is a temporary file like name~RFnumbers.TMP. I have to delete this file because when I close the application, the file is in the folder. What can I do to delete this file when I close Excel? Thank You!!! -- JCS - BCN'04 There have been a few posts describing this (but I don't recall a solution). But my guess is that it was something else creating that .tmp file--any chance your antivirus can be turned off and you could test a bit? Any chance that there's a helpful m...

File handle in global value
I open a file in one thread, save the file handle in a global value(ignoring for a moment that its not recommended), then close the thread , open a new thread and use the handle inside it to access the file and finally close the file in this thread. Is it legal from the point of view of C++/MFC(again,ignoring for a moment that its not recommended)? Regards Mandi >I open a file in one thread, save the file handle in a global value(ignoring >for a moment that its not recommended), then close the thread , open a new >thread and use the handle inside it to access the file and f...

Archive function is missing from File Menu
Recently upgraded to MS Office Professional 2007, which included Outlook 2007. Lenovo laptop running XP SP3. Previously running Outlook 2003. The Archive function is missing from the File menu. I can set the AutoArchive parameters under Tools > Options, but regardless of having AutoArchive enabled or disabled, the menu option to Archive is not on the pull-down menu. I am stumped, and all online (Google or forums) references seem to only refer to troubleshooting for people setting up and running AutoArchive. I can provide a screenshot of the File menu expanded if required. &...

avoid duplicates!
Hi Guys, I have below query, in which i am trying to get the machine anme, user name, IP Subnet fro three different tables. The third table V_RA_SYSTEM_IPSUBNETS is having multiple IP subnet info against a single machine. Hence when i ran this query i get lot of duplicates (if there are 5 subnets against a single machine, this machine is listed 5 times)... Is it possible to get only the last assgined IP subnet from the third table (This table has only a resourceid and the IPsubnet column, there is no date column)... SELECT DISTINCT SYS.NAME0 AS 'MACHINENAME', IP.IP_...

"Send to Bluetooth" deleted from file menu
I made a stupid mistake, and was trying to customise my menus, but accidentally deleted the "Send to Bluetooth" file menu option. I now cant find it again in the customisation to add it back in, but I really need it!! Does anyone know how to get it back? Try resetting the toolbar. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-...

Event ID in Application Log
I am currently running Exchange 2003 SP1 on both my Front-end and Back-end Servers. I am getting the Event ID 7200 on the Front-end Server. The error that I'm getting is "Background thread FDoUpdateCatalog halted on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (FRONT-END)" due to error code 0x80004005. " I am not running any Full-Text Indexing, it has never been installed. I am also not running any type of Virus scan on this server. It is occuring every 30 minutes on the dot. I have researched for the past two days and can very little information on how to re...

OFX FILES and SMALL BUSINESS ACCOUNTING
I have 2 questions: Does anyone here know if there is a group for Small Business Accounting? I can't find it. I download transactions into Money 2006 by selecting manual downloads. My bank is sends .OFX formatted data which updates the transactions. I also Use Small Business Accounting. My bank does not support Small Business Act. Nor can they provide me an .ofx file. They suggest capturing the .ofx download into Money, saving it, so it can them be uploaded into Small Business Accounting. Does anyone have anyone an idea how to do this? I have not been able to sort anything out or c...

template in a shared workbook
When I attempt to insert a template worksheet into a shared workbook I get the error that This command is not allowed on a shared workbook. It will allow me to insert a blank worksheet into the same shared workbook. Excel 2000. My template folder is configured through WORD to be on the network drive so it does appear as an option to insert it into the workbook. Thank you for your help. ...

Avoid "Overwrite" Message
I've seen a number of other posting on this but not a full solution. I'm trying to avoid getting the message telling me another user may have made changes, do I want to save a copy or overwrite, blah, blah, blah. I still can't figure out how to turn this off completely. Please help. Hi don't share your workbook. These messages should only appear if your workbook is shared -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jeff M. wrote: > I've seen a number of other posting on this but not a full solution. > I'm trying to avoid getting the message telling me another...

Duplicate emails -- HELP!
Good day. I am running Exchange 5.5 on a WIN2K Server. I have Oulook 2003 as a client and one of my users is running Outlook XP. We are both having the same problem... When you receive email from certain individuals, we receive them in duplicate. I've looked through all the whitepages and couldn't find anything. I appreciate any help you can offer me. Thank you in advance. Roger Settle RSettle@klfinancialgroup.com Exchange Server 5.5 is not compatible with Outlook 2003. Thats the reason why we use Outlook 2k/2002 in our company because we have exchange 5.5 >----...

Parent ID is not populated in Offline Mode
Hi all I have successfully installed CRM laptop Client with no error. Sync data (all related records) when goes offline have no error too. I can create the Child record (custom entity) from parent (CASE) with some of the values populated from parent at online mode. However, when I go offline, the parent ID are not populated to Child entities. And there is no error when I open the existing child record. I have un-installed and re-installed more than 3 times, on same notebook or using different user to logon. But problem still persists. Anyone has experience this type of problem? He...

Calculating Duplicate Entries
I use Excel 2003. I pulled good info off this forum and off other sites referenced within. I can do what I’m trying to do with filters, formulas and macros, etc. But to I can do it faster with a calculator. Here’s my data: A B C 1 Sale Price Address Sale Date 2 $25000 216 Oak Ave 12/7/2007 3 $35500 14 Wyman St 1/12/2008 4 $29000 216 Oak Ave 7/1/2008 5 $49000 14 Wyman St 9/30/2008 6 $45000 216 Oak Ave 10/2/2008 I need to find all sales that were less then 6 months apart, and the sales price was 25% greater then the previous price. In this case row 6 would be true. Note the rows ca...

avoiding full mailboxes
Using exchange 2003 and limited mailbox capability of 50 MB we still have problems with oversized mailbox. Does anyone knows how to forward to personal folder automaticly incase of full mailbox? There is no way for this to occur automatically. Users need to manage their mailboxes or else you need to use Mailbox Management to start removing stuff from their mailboxes - cleaning the Deleted Items folder of anything over a few days old is a good first step. The following article just shows Exchange 2000 on it, but it also applies to 2003: 319188 HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Control...

Access Query
Any help would be appreciated. When viewing records resulting from a multiple table query, I discovered "Duplicate" records being selected. However, all fields are not exactly the same, for the value selected from the second table makes the record truly unique. How do I modify the query statement to "output" only one occurance of the record? I tried unique value for the "member number" field but the query still selected member 001 two times. -- Brent Brent - You need to tell Access how to decide which of the two fields is the one you w...