Assign random numbers

Hello everyone

I have a table with roughly 40000 records, that gets more records added
weekly. From this table my staff work through each record and add a closed
date when finalised. The table the staff are working off contains an
"Investigated By" field which is linked to the staff members name on a
seperate table, the default investigated by name is "Exception". At this
point, only one person can work on the records at a time. The amount of
records that get added weekly varies and I want to be able to allocate an
employees name to each new record so that they show up in their "Pending
List". As I said, the amount of records varies each week, and I do not know
how to make a query automatically count the number of new records, divide
that number by the amount of staff and assign a name to the record.

if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate your help!
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

What is the primary key field for this table? Also actual names for both of
the tables and fields such as staff members would help us help you.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Jiminic" wrote:

> Hello everyone
>
> I have a table with roughly 40000 records, that gets more records added
> weekly. From this table my staff work through each record and add a closed
> date when finalised. The table the staff are working off contains an
> "Investigated By" field which is linked to the staff members name on a
> seperate table, the default investigated by name is "Exception". At this
> point, only one person can work on the records at a time. The amount of
> records that get added weekly varies and I want to be able to allocate an
> employees name to each new record so that they show up in their "Pending
> List". As I said, the amount of records varies each week, and I do not know
> how to make a query automatically count the number of new records, divide
> that number by the amount of staff and assign a name to the record.
>
> if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate your help!
Hi Jerry

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions, the primary key field
for the table is “ComplaintID”. The table names are

“Complaints” (order and name of Fields is as follows: ComplaintID,
CustomerID, DateReceived, ReceivedBy, CMSRef, Policy/ReferenceNo, Medium,
MediumSource, Policy Type, TypeOfContact, Department, Issue, IssueType,
IssueSubType, UnderlyingIssue, UnderlyingSubIssue, ExpectedCompletion,
DateFinalised, Cost, Comments, InvestigatedBy, Status, BusinessMaintained,
FileResolved, ErrorConsultant, Archive, EscalatedClaim, Trigger, Last
Contact, Notes, ClaimNumber, 48H, 7D, EGWR, ERRMAN, FBO)

and

“Staff Names” (order and name of Fields is as follows: Staff ID, Log in,
Staff Name, FirstName, Team, Class). The class field in the Staff Names table
is used to show whether a staff member is working, or is on leave.

I hope that this is the information you were after, and thank you for your
assistance

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> What is the primary key field for this table? Also actual names for both of
> the tables and fields such as staff members would help us help you.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "Jiminic" wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone
> >
> > I have a table with roughly 40000 records, that gets more records added
> > weekly. From this table my staff work through each record and add a closed
> > date when finalised. The table the staff are working off contains an
> > "Investigated By" field which is linked to the staff members name on a
> > seperate table, the default investigated by name is "Exception". At this
> > point, only one person can work on the records at a time. The amount of
> > records that get added weekly varies and I want to be able to allocate an
> > employees name to each new record so that they show up in their "Pending
> > List". As I said, the amount of records varies each week, and I do not know
> > how to make a query automatically count the number of new records, divide
> > that number by the amount of staff and assign a name to the record.
> >
> > if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate your help!

Add sequential row numbers based on sorted field
I would like to make a make-table query that counts records using a type of row number, based on the number in the field [Batch]. For example: Record--[Batch] 1--6114 2--6114 3--6114 4--6115 5--6115 6--6116 7--6117 8--6117 9--6117 And the second table would look like: Record -- [Batch]--[Row] 1--6114--1 2--6114--2 3--6114--3 4--6115--1 5--6115--2 6--6116--1 7--6117--1 8--6117--2 9--6117--3 To give more background to what I am doing, I am using Access to systematically correct an export of Program A, so that the resulting data can be imported into Program B. While program A does not give an ...

assign a shortcut key in access
I want to assign a shortcut key in a form like when a user presses CTRL+S a code should run like Go To Control combo1 and me.combo1.dropdwon any way to do this? You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here's a very good explanation of how to do that! http://www22.brinkster.com/accessory/macros/002.shtml -- There's ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat! Answers/posts based on Access 2000 Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200707/1 missinglinq via AccessMonster.com wrote: > You need to yous the AutoKeys macro. Here&...

Roman Numeral Page Numbers for Footers
In a footer, using &[page] function for page numbering, how can I change the number format to roman numerals (i.e., I, II, III, IV, etc.)??? Stella, As far as I know, this cannot be done. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Stella Kimura" <StellaKimura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6BDBC68E-2EFD-4E8A-A36E-2E7F8EE01B9C@microsoft.com... > In a footer, using &[page] function for page numbering, how can > I change the > number format to roman numerals (i.e., I, II, III, IV...

OWA SSL randomly disappears
We have a front-end Exchange 2003 server with 5 HTTP virtual servers configured (we host 5 SMTP domains for e- mail). 4 of the 5 HTTP virtual servers are secured via SSL using certificates from Verisign. The 5th HTTP virtual server is the default Exchange server and is for testing purposes only. Each virtual server is assigned a unique IP (all sites run on port 80). The problem we're having is that SSL randomly disappears from the IIS MMC console. The certificate remains intact and in order to restore SSL, all we have to do is re- enter port 443. What could be causing this? ...

Increase number of calendars which can be viewed in outlook
Does any one know how I can view 35 calenders at once side by side in outlook rather than the stipulated 30? ...

Jump to random records
I have a form named frmForm1 which is linked to two tables called tblTable1 and tblTable2; tblTable2 is linked to the subform while tblTable1 is linked to the main form. I have a command button on the form, when I click it I would like for it to jump to and/or select one random record from tblTable1 and display it in the main form field in frmForm1 while simultaneously jumping to and/or selecting 3 random records from tblTable2 and displaying them in the subform field in frmForm1. The tables are not linked. Do you know what code would enable me to do this? "Teddy...

Assigning values from a sheet to an array
Can anyone explain why I get a runtime error with the code below.MANY THANKS! Option Explicit Option Base 1 Sub testing3() Dim Vt() As Double Dim j As Long Dim i As Long ReDim Preserve Vt(1 To 40) For i = 1 To 40 j = Int(Rnd() * 1100) Vt(i) = Worksheets("data").Cells(1, j) Next i End Sub ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Software! http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/excel-software-categories.htm ** Because j is greater than 256, the maximum number of columns in Excel. Alan Beban Ann...

No "Assign Macro"
In the Excel help files it indicates that you can execute a pre-recorded macro from a command button. It states to first record the macro, then create the button, then right click on the button to get the shortcut menu and choose Assign Macro. I have tried this in both Excel 97 and Excel 2002 and in both cases I do not have any such item as "Assign Macro". Am I missing something If not by this elusive shortcut menu item, how can I assign the pre recorded macro through code? Aaron, It may be that your working with a command button from the "Control Toolbox" instead of...

Serial Numbers auto assigned
S/N are being auto assigned when the SOP Setup Options DO NOT have "auto-assign serial numbers" marked. We do NOT want to use a separate fulfillment process. Up until a few months ago, everything was fine. Now, when a PO item, assigned to a sales line item comes in, the s/n is autoassigned. How can I get this to go back the way it was? Below is the way we have had our SOP set up for eight years - why has it changed? Set-up>SOP>ORDER Allocate by: Doc/Batch X Transfer Order to BO / Transfer Order to Invoice Options: X Allow repeating documents _ Use Separate Fulfil...

format number rounds off
I am trying to formate a row of numbers in excel. The numbers that I am trying to type in each column consists of four digets as in 2760 but after I type in this number it only showes 28. Every number rounds to the next thousand. I keep checking the format for number with no decimals and I get this every time. How do I make it show the four typed digets? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide ...

No Assigned Licenses
We have a total of 5 licenses. However only three users can access the CRM applications. If any other user tries to access the application we get an error message stating No Assigned Licenses Any suggestions? Thanks. Matthew You have to actually go assign the users licenses with the CRM, Log in to CRM as administrator, Click Settings from the Left menu, Click Business Unit Settings, Click users, Click the user you want to assign a license to, then from the popup click license from the left menu, Click Manage Licenses and add a license to that user. Just to warn you do not remove the l...

How to customize the numbering in a query?
I want to customize the numbering in a query. In other word, I want to make customized numbering in a column in query but as formatted below: 001 002 003 … … etc any help please? Here's an example using a Transactions table which numbers the transactions sorted by date: SELECT FORMAT(COUNT(*),"000") AS RowCounter, T1.TransactionDate, T1.TransactionAmount FROM Transactions AS T1 INNER JOIN Transactions AS T2 ON ( T2.TransactionID <= T1.TransactionID OR T2.TransactionDate <> T1.TransactionDate) AND (T2.TransactionDate <= T1.TransactionDate) ...

Assigned task
Hi, we are receiving emails from our bosses with attachment of our schedule task which we manually enter into our outlook task folder, is there a way or how can we automatically accept assigned task to integrate to our task folder. We are using outlook2000 under windows98 the outlook 2000 version is part of the office 2000 package install on out PC's. TIA Is your boss sending the tasks to you using Outlook Rich Text Format? If not, have him start. Also, how is he assigning tasks? Using the Assign Task feature or forwarding the task to you? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] ...

PO next number changes randomly GP10
Hello, The company I currently work for has been seeing the next PO number being changed in the purchase order processing screen. This occurs randomly. To try to determine the cause of this, I have turned on the activity tracking as well as sql triggers on the pop40100 table. Has anyone else seen this before or have any suggestions on how to determine what is causing this to change? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, JC Hi JC when you say it is changing what do mean? I believe that the PO numbers will go back and fill in for PO's that have been deleted. I.E. i...

page numbering #15
Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? Yes, View, Master page or Background, depending on the version. The numbering will have a # symbol. Put the text either before the # or after. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Banker" <Banker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0708E7D-BAAB-4BD4-A940-3E7BF2C8A938@microsoft.com... > Can I add a suffix to a page number such as "1a" or "1.1"? "Mary Sauer" wrote: > Yes,...

How do I update a spreadsheet with numbers input into another?
How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? "Duma" wrote: > How do I link two speadsheets in order to update both at the same time? Probably something like this In Sheet2, In A1: =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1) Copy A1 across/down to cover the extent Sheet2 will then reflect entries/updates in Sheet1 for the formulated range -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- If both spreadsheets are the same, headers, data ranges, titles etc, basically same architecture on both sheets, then... While on Sheet1...

how do I set up a number to arabic number
I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change format number in English to arabic number. Hi Ashraf, Assuming the number in in a field, simple: add an 'Arabic picture switch to the filed containing the number. For example, with page numbering- {PAGE \* Arabic } -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Ashraf" <Ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3080821A-C676-4FA2-88C4-D3CDCECF0193@microsoft.com... >I have change my office 2003 to 2007. What I want to know how to change > format number in English...

College Assignment Woes
Hello, I would GREATLY appreciate it if someone could guide me in some kind of direction. I have been given the following data: On a new sheet, named Salary Table, starting at cell A1, build the following table: Name Current Salary Percent Increase Effective Month 2004 Compensation. My exact problem is that I must createa formula that can be used for all to calculate the amount to each employee for the year 2004. The increases take place on the first day of the month specified. This means that if increase comes in July, the pay is six months at the old rate and six months at the new rat...

Number of Cells in a column
Hi, I want to add this formula in my ESS. COUNTIF(sheet1!S2:S43,"*Yes*") to find out the number of value containing "YES". My concern is I don't have fixed count from S2 to S43. It could be something else. What can I do to have this code reusable? I thought something like COUNTIF(Sheet!S2:Count($S2),"*Yes*") \But it doesnt work Thanks for your help Jack Try this if there is nothing else in that column:- =COUNTIF(sheet1!S:S,"*Yes*") -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - ...

General Number Format Changed
Excel 2003 on XP I have a collegue who's Excel setting for General number format displays as 0.1 instead of 1 in the sample box. ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in ".1" (as in 0.1) you get "1". Where in the settings can this General format be returned to standard? Many thanks DeanH Sorry that should have been: ie if you type in "1" you get "0.1", if you type in "1." (as in 1.0) you get "1". "DeanH" wrote: > Excel 2003 on XP > I have a collegue who's Excel setting for G...

How to define cells so that only numbers can be filled?
Hi, How could I format cells in excel so that only numbers can be filled The input should be integer e.g. between 0...99 and cells shoud no accept any other marks, such as space, letters... simply nothing els but integers. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Juha! Try: Data > Validation You'll find it pretty intuitive and very flexible as to what you can do as far a restricting input to a cell. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fre...

Assigning Records
When a Microsoft CRM Record is assigned from one Microsoft CRM User to another, the Microsoft CRM User who assigned the record will maintain share privileges on that record once it has been assigned. The ownership of that record will be changed to the Microsoft CRM User the record was assigned to, but the User who assigned the record (the previous owner) will still maintain share privileges on that record. (KB861702) We have a situation where we our system reassigns accounts to different users quite often. We would not like the previous owner to have share privileges on that record. It...

assign
How do I make every thin in a column that is not >4000 assigned the "0" and every cell >4000 assigned the "1" (and ignoring the letters)? column might look like 4002 AB009 4001ab 2004 0078 45 -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Are there always just 2 letters (or none)? On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 17:32:03 GMT, "jeremy via OfficeKB.com" <forum@nospam.OfficeKB.com> wrote: >How do I make every thin in a column that is not >4000 assigned the "0" and >every cell >4000 assigned the "1" (and ignoring the letters)? &g...

CRM 3.0
Is there any way to use work flow to automatically assign leads to varius salesman as the leads come in. With v3.0, you can write a .Net assembly that you can call from workflow. This could be used to cycle through a list of reps and process the assignment. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Dave M." <Dave M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D3A034A-B8A5-430D-943B-FBE4525BB013@microsoft.com... Is there any way to use work flow to automatically assign leads to varius salesman as the leads come in. ...

How do I eliminate duplicate numbers in a column?
I have duplicate personnel numbers in a column. How do I quickly get rid of the duplicates? Hi Bea, You can hide them with a filter, Debra Dalgleish has pages on filters at http://www.contextures.com. Chip Pearson has some pages on dealing with duplicates, check his topic.htm index http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "bea" <bea@discussions.microsoft.com>...