Allen Browns List files recursively

this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution
via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html

brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full
path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be
the size of the screen to view full path.

Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user
but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click
hyperlink still works to open the documents??
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol
<StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

That doesn't seem a good idea: several versions of a document by the
same name can occur in the tree. If I only show "test.doc", how would
the user know what to select?
That said, listboxes can have multiple columns, including invisible
ones.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution
>via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html
>
>brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full
>path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be
>the size of the screen to view full path.
>
>Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user
>but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click
>hyperlink still works to open the documents??
0
Tom
6/1/2010 2:00:06 PM
thaks for your comments tom,
there will only be one version of each document so i dont see it an issue,
can you explain how to get multiple columes and change the visibility??

"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol
> <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> That doesn't seem a good idea: several versions of a document by the
> same name can occur in the tree. If I only show "test.doc", how would
> the user know what to select?
> That said, listboxes can have multiple columns, including invisible
> ones.
>
> -Tom.
> Microsoft Access MVP
>

> >this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution
> >via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html
> >
> >brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full
> >path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be
> >the size of the screen to view full path.
> >
> >Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user
> >but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click
> >hyperlink still works to open the documents??
> .

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:31:01 -0700, StuJol
<StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

Sure. It's very simple. Since you are looping over a folder tree I am
assuming you're adding rows one at a time. Set the RowSourceType to
"ValueList". Then call AddItem for each row:
myList.AddItem(strFilename, strFilePath)
This would add one filename and one full path.
Then you can hide the Path column by setting the ColumnWidths property
to "1;0"

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>thaks for your comments tom,
>there will only be one version of each document so i dont see it an issue,
>can you explain how to get multiple columes and change the visibility??
>
>"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol
>> <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> That doesn't seem a good idea: several versions of a document by the
>> same name can occur in the tree. If I only show "test.doc", how would
>> the user know what to select?
>> That said, listboxes can have multiple columns, including invisible
>> ones.
>>
>> -Tom.
>> Microsoft Access MVP
>>

>> >this is a query relating to allen browns List files recursively contribution
>> >via http://allenbrowne.com/ser-59.html
>> >
>> >brilliant contribution, works really well. the only issue i have is the full
>> >path and filename are displayed in the list box, so my list box needs to be
>> >the size of the screen to view full path.
>> >
>> >Is there a way to just get the listbox to display the filename to the user
>> >but to also keep the filename and path hidden so that the double click
>> >hyperlink still works to open the documents??
>> .

0
Tom
6/2/2010 1:45:30 PM
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:45:30 -0700, Tom van Stiphout
<tom7744.no.spam@cox.net> wrote:

Sorry, I meant:
myList.AddItem(strFilename & ";" & strFilePath)

>On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:31:01 -0700, StuJol
><StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>Sure. It's very simple. Since you are looping over a folder tree I am
>assuming you're adding rows one at a time. Set the RowSourceType to
>"ValueList". Then call AddItem for each row:
>myList.AddItem(strFilename, strFilePath)
>This would add one filename and one full path.
>Then you can hide the Path column by setting the ColumnWidths property
>to "1;0"
>
>-Tom.
>Microsoft Access MVP
>

>>thaks for your comments tom,
>>there will only be one version of each document so i dont see it an issue,
>>can you explain how to get multiple columes and change the visibility??
>>
>>"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 04:56:04 -0700, StuJol
>>> <StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That doesn't seem a good idea: several versions of a document by the
>>> same name can occur in the tree. If I only show "test.doc", how would
>>> the user know what to select?
>>> That said, listboxes can have multiple columns, including invisible
>>> ones.
>>>
>>> -Tom.
>>> Microsoft Access MVP

>>> .

0
Tom
6/2/2010 1:46:15 PM
Tom, thanks for your continued support. i understand what your saying but im
struggling to intergrate in into allen browns code... can you find time to
review allens code (link in orginal question) and help me to intergrate...

"Tom van Stiphout" wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 06:45:30 -0700, Tom van Stiphout
> <tom7744.no.spam@cox.net> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I meant:
> myList.AddItem(strFilename & ";" & strFilePath)
>
> >On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:31:01 -0700, StuJol
> ><StuJol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >Sure. It's very simple. Since you are looping over a folder tree I am
> >assuming you're adding rows one at a time. Set the RowSourceType to
> >"ValueList". Then call AddItem for each row:
> >myList.AddItem(strFilename, strFilePath)
> >This would add one filename and one full path.
> >Then you can hide the Path column by setting the ColumnWidths property
> >to "1;0"
> >
> >-Tom.
> >Microsoft Access MVP
> >

> >>thaks for your comments tom,
> >>there will only be one version of each document so i dont see it an issue,
> >>can you explain how to get multiple columes and change the visibility??

> .

Custom Recipient and Global Address List
Hi all I've been doing the exciting task of updating 7 Exchange 5.5 servers with custom recipients from each of the other Exchange servers manually!!! Exports and imports have been going very well. However, some of the users have been complaining that they are unable to reply to emails once the update has been done. Now i've come across this before and it is normally down to somebody having an entry in their PAB or contacts. One user is swearing blind that they do not have an entry in thier Contacts or PAB and is still getting an undeliverable when replying (but can pick the name f...

option or addon to file sent messages elsewhere besides sent fldr
Similar to Mozzila Thunderbird, is there an option or add-on that will ask if I wish to file a message I am sending or where I want to file a message I am sending. It would allow me to keep important sent messages organized better http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm "RLoutlook" <RLoutlook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B92E9FAD-251B-4541-BDC8-CE709B6B2ABB@microsoft.com... > Similar to Mozzila Thunderbird, is there an option or add-on that will ask > if > I wish to file a message I am sending or where I want to file a mes...

Personal Distribution Lists
Hi all I've been given a task of updating a load of custom recipient addresses on an Exchange 5.5 server which includes moving them from one Recipient Container to another. Now the problem with this is that I don't think there is a way of doing this without deleting them from the original RC and recreating them in the new RC (don't worry I've at least been using export/import for this). If anyone knows of a better/easier way of doing this I would be interested. The actual moving of the Custom Recipients isn't too bad, but I am now running into problems with people that h...

Runtime Error 381 Couldn't set list property, invalid array index
I opened a 97 spreadsheet in 2003 and now each time a user form is initialized a runtime error comes up in the following line in the vba code: ComboDeptNum.List = Sheets("Definitions").Range("$J$1:$I$12") It is the same thing if I specify a named range: ComboDeptNum.List = Sheets("Definitions").Range("DeptList") This exact same codes works fine in 97 and the security is set to low in 2003. The number of columns is set propoerly but the list box just won't load values. I'm a newbie to Excel vba but have more experience with Access and never sa...

Allen test
Allen test ...

changing integers in a list
Hello, I have a list of integer numbers in a single column. They are in no particular order, and I cannot sort them (it would upset the rest of the spreadsheet). Some of the integers are repeated more than once, & I want to increase the repeats by 1, then 2, 3 ... so that I end up with a list of unique integers. So for example if I have 5,27,21,5,33,5,5 I would end up with 5,27,21,6,33,7,8. I've been studying the Match, & other Lookup functions, but am unclear about the best approach. Hope this makes sense ? Thanks K Hi, You could try this: =A1*100+COUNTIF(A1:$A$9,A1) (d...

End user wants to create items in Global Address List
I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do this? Douglas he would have to have Exchange permissions, and that isn't a particularly good idea... "Douglas McIver" <douglas@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OFGd$QhiEHA.1104@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have an end user who wants to be able to create distribution lists and > entries in the global address list. Any idea how I can configure him to do > this? > > Douglas > > ...

Back up copies of Files in My Documents in Word 2003
Every time I try to delete back up copies in "Open" in My Documents, it creates another copy. I am up to 166 copies of unwanted files. They are not shown in the pull-down of Word Documents only, but in All Files. -- Carole Campbell You are probably inadvertently dragging and dropping them in the same window. Drag and drop them in the Recycle Bin or simply press the delete key. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Wo...

How to create sub-lists?
Sheet with tasks and subtasks from employees. I do have two colums. The first I choose a task from a list. Then I want to choose a sub-task from the second column and this subtask depends on the task choosen in the first column. How to perform it? At this moment I do only have the task list (with name), on another worksheet. Bart Ex 2003. You can use dependent data validation lists, as described here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html AA Arens wrote: > Sheet with tasks and subtasks from employees. > > I do have two colums. The first I choose a task from a list. Th...

Filter Custom List on Date
I have created a custom list with several date columns. I wish to create views based on filtering on a date being filled in or NOT filled in. Since Zero, and blank do not work, how do I do this? MOSS 2007 Greg DC you can filter it. make two conditions whatever you want like below "greater than" [today] or "is equal to" blank <-- no value entered. is it what you want ? "Greg DC" wrote: > I have created a custom list with several date columns. I wish to create > views based on filtering on a date being filled in or NOT filled i...

Bin and sort a large list of data
I have a large list of data that i need to go through for my job. what i want to do is organize the numbers into bins, then elimintate any numbers that are identical. does anyone have any ideas? Hi, Sort the data into the number order. Let's say that is in column A. Then in the first free column, make the first cell 0, and then do in row 2 =IF (A1=A2,1,0) This will then equal zero on the first line of a new number. Then Copy, Paste Special, Values on this column of ones and zeros, and then sort on it. The data at the top will be a unique list of numbers. You can just the...

Lists of Numbers
I have a spreadsheet with multiple columns of numbers. Some of these numbers are repeated throughout the columns and rows. I want to run a routine that checks each number in turn, if the number has not already been found, then it puts it on a list on a different page. If the number has been put on the list already, it just ignores it. Hopefully you will understand this!!!! Regards SantaUK Take a look here for a solution to a similar query from microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions http://makeashorterlink.com/?F2F0157A8 "SantaUK" <google@mmillar.co.uk> wrote in me...

File Increase in size
Dear Sir, I am working with an Excel file which has several pages, dynamic tables, macros, and build in formulas. My excel was 3 MB size las week. Suddenly, without any aparent reason the file shows 9 MB size. In the meanwhile I only added a small dynamic table which is no real explanation for the increase in size. I assume something inside got broken. Is there any maintenence program or procedure I could run over my file as to fix whatever went wrong? Thanks in advance, My suggestion would be to save your worksheets to a new workbook. HTH, -- Gary Brown gary_brown@ge_NOSPAM.com If ...

For Allen Browne (Argent)
Dear Allen I Send A Mesage Before Telling You That The Code is Executing At The Design Time So I Specifically Get The Problem Which Is IN A Module But This Function Function MyBol(XX as integer) As Boolean Msgbox "Hi" Debug.print "Print Me" End Function And In The Rowsource For THe Combo Box In Any Table Use The Code Select iif(MyBol(1) = true,Field1,Field2) From TableName Where ... You Will Find That The Code Will Be Executed When You Click Save From The Form In Design View Thank You Allen I Hope You can Help Me Thanks A Lot No: I'm not seeing that....

importing a pst file
I recently installed Microsoft XP and Office 2003. Before doing the installation, I saved all of my files and exported my inbox to a pst folder (I was previously running office 2000 small business) After the installation of the new operating system and Microsoft Office 2003, I tried to import the pst folder that I had previously saved (which was my inbox). When I tried to do this, I get a message that says "access denied". Is there something else I need to do to import the pst file? Do you have the pst file on CD Rom? If so, copy or move it onto your hard drive and it sho...

unable to open a money2002 file in newer versions of Money
Hi I have just changed PC's, my old PC was XP Pro running Money 2002, and my new PC is Vista ultimate, i couldnt find my old Money 2002 disc so installed Money 2007 but cannot open my Money 2002 file or Back up, all files are in a folder within my documents, but keep saying the files were from an incompatable version. I have also tried Money 2005 as well and get the same error, however just to check the files were ok, i turned on my old PC and the files work fine within Money2002, is there an update i can do or a way to solve this at all? thanks for any help Gra "incomparib...

deleting unwanted folders in folder list pane?
Hello, I am using Outlook 2002. When I open folder list pane, I see my two genuine pst folders (hotmail and my personal pst file). However, there are two unwanted folders there, named "personal folders". There is no .pst file associated with them - I have checked the entire PC using search, also have used Outlook's inbuilt data file manager. It is therefore not possible to simply delete the associated pst file. If I click on the "personal folders" in the folder pane, they do not expand, I just get a message "data file not found". Can anybody tell me how to...

retrieving files from a directory
hello i want to retrieve all the files from a specified directory and store the filenames in a CStringArray. is there any API for doing it ? thanks anu FindFirstFile()/FindNextFile() -- Elias http://lgwm.org/ "anu" <anu@transversalnet.com> wrote in message news:0b1f01c38185$5da984d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > hello > > i want to retrieve all the files from a specified > directory and store the filenames in a CStringArray. is > there any API for doing it ? > > thanks > anu Use the CFileFind class. "anu" <anu@transversalnet.com> ...

Contact list autofill
In creating a large list of contacts, "Mr and Mrs" and the same city, state and category are repeated endlessly. Can they be made default entries? I have 2 workarounds for you. 1. Enter the data in Excel then use Outlook Import Wizard to Import it to Contacts 2. Or my preference (as I am an Outlook nut) use the Group By Box in Outlook this way: Turn on Advanced Toolbars. Make sure you're in the Phone List View of Contacts Folder - the Current View window will tell you in the Ad Toolbar) Turn on the Group By Box. (to the right of the Current View window) Turn on the Fi...

notebook file locations
i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated 500 notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access and share. Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of the notebooks have to be open to search the files. edwhicks wrote: > i would like to set up a notebook for each of my clients (estimated > 500 notebooks) and put them on a server so other staffers can access > and share. Is it possible to still use search functions or do all of > the notebooks have to be open to search the files. The search only works for files whi...

Master Category List keeps reverting to default list
I have had the Master Category List revert to the default list several times now. This has happend at least 6 times since I upgraded to Office 2003 a year ago. This is annoying, as I have my own, different, list of categories that I use. I have used the good info that Sue Mosher provides at: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/olcat.htm to make a backup of my catagories. Using the registry restore routine certainly makes the fix a bit easier than retyping all of the categories. Still, having to dink with the registry to keep outlook from destrying my data is more than a bit unnerving. Does...

Recovering .pst file
I've posted a few queries about this - I'm getting closer but still not quite there. I had to re-build my computer from a "format c:" on up (after doing a backup). Everything rebuilt OK, applications re-installed, docs restored. All works great now except that I cannot seem to get Outlook 2002 (on Windows XP Pro) to recognize the 100+MB of saved e- mails, contacts, etc. from the backed-up pst file. I've tried most everything suggest here in similar problem reports - opening the backup version from the file menu, scanpst, and importing it. All seemed to work -...

GAL Address List Preview limit?
I cannot preview my entire GAL in ESM - it appears to only be able to view 10,000 objects - I recieve an error saying "The number of objects found exceeds the maximum allowed. Please refine your search." Is there a registry setting that might overcome this limitation? -- Sandy Wood Orange County District Attorney Hi, See article: XADM: Previewing an Address List Does Not Display More Than 10,000 Objects http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259987 -- Cesar Gabardo "Sandy Wood" wrote: > I cannot preview my entire GAL in ESM - it appears to onl...

How Insert Date CREATED to all files
How Insert Date CREATED to ALL files in all folders You are going to need to explain what you want in some better detail than this. For a start what Word version? Where do you want the created date to be placed. Are all the documents formatted the same way? Do the document perhaps already have a date field that you want to change for a createdate field? Are any or all of the documents protected? How are they protected? If they are protected do they all have the same password? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>&...