After entering 83 records unable to go on to next record

someone else set all the fields up for me as I'm not familiar with Access and
I was just putting in the data, and got through to no. 84 and entered the
data - when I tried to go to the next one a message came up saying 'The
changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would
create duplicate values in the index, primary key or relationship.  Change
the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index
or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again'.  I haven't
a clue - all I know is that this record was no different to the other 83!
Help please
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

This error means that you've entered the same value in one of the fields
that is the same as in one of the previous 83 records.  A Unique Index or
Primary Key (the two things the message box is referring to) won't allow you
to do that.

If you go into the Design View of the table, there will be a little key
symbol on the field(s) that make up the primary key.  Check that field in
your data to see if the value of that field in record 84 matches any of the
other records.  If it doesn't, check the properties of each of the other
fields (again in Design View).  If any of the them say *Indexed: Yes, no
duplicates*, then check that field as well for duplicate values.

--
--Roger Carlson
  MS Access MVP

"Dee" <Dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> someone else set all the fields up for me as I'm not familiar with Access
> and
> I was just putting in the data, and got through to no. 84 and entered the
> data - when I tried to go to the next one a message came up saying 'The
> changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would
> create duplicate values in the index, primary key or relationship.  Change
> the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the
> or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again'.  I
> haven't
> a clue - all I know is that this record was no different to the other 83!
> Help please

0
Roger
11/7/2007 3:39:51 PM
Your table has a primary key set up and it doesn't allow you to enter the
same value in that field more than once.  The record you are trying to add
has a value in the key field which already exists in your table.  You will
need to give your new record a unique value for that field to add it, you
also might want to verify that it should be added.

"Dee" wrote:

> someone else set all the fields up for me as I'm not familiar with Access and
> I was just putting in the data, and got through to no. 84 and entered the
> data - when I tried to go to the next one a message came up saying 'The
> changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would
> create duplicate values in the index, primary key or relationship.  Change
> the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index
> or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again'.  I haven't
> a clue - all I know is that this record was no different to the other 83!
> Help please
To go one step further, you may also have a multi-field index.  The best way
to check your indexes is to open your table in design view, then click the
"Indexes" item on the toolbar (it has a lightning bolt on the right side of
the image).  This will pull up a list of the indexes on your table.  If you
have a multi-column index you will see a Index name in the left colum, and
then multiple field names in the second column.  If you click on the Index
Name, you will see the Index properties, which indicate wheter the index is
Unique.

HTH
Dale

--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

Email address is not valid.
Please reply to newsgroup only.

Lance <Lance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Your table has a primary key set up and it doesn't allow you to enter the
>same value in that field more than once.  The record you are trying to add
>has a value in the key field which already exists in your table.  You will
>need to give your new record a unique value for that field to add it, you
>also might want to verify that it should be added.

Actually it can be an index that is setup.  Not just a primary key.
Furthermore, as Dale points out, it can cover multiple fields.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Draw a line (IN Between) and After Each Record in Report
Is it Possible to draw lines inbetween a records data when the text box (txtRemarks) is set to can grow and the text wraps? I need a line to appear after every wrapped line of text, not just at the bottom of the record. Ex. (txtRemarks) Data type set to memo The green car has four big _____________________ tires and needs to have four _____________________ small tires. Thanks. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200912/1 This isn't something Access can do on it's own. You could force the lines in your...

Access Query
Any help would be appreciated. When viewing records resulting from a multiple table query, I discovered "Duplicate" records being selected. However, all fields are not exactly the same, for the value selected from the second table makes the record truly unique. How do I modify the query statement to "output" only one occurance of the record? I tried unique value for the "member number" field but the query still selected member 001 two times. -- Brent Brent - You need to tell Access how to decide which of the two fields is the one you w...

Allen Browne's Search Screen clears the first record combo boxes
I am using Allen Browne's Search Screen and can't seem to stop the first record's entries being blanked out with the reset button. I changed the original cmdReset_Click() to only set the header fields to Null but my first record's fields also reset with each control. I am using combo boxes in the detail section (to display words instead of record id numbers) which isn't part of the original database. Can someone help? Greatly appreciated, Terri Terri, can you confirm whether: a) the data is being lost, or b) the data is not being displayed properly. There is a di...

Save Record, Append New
Hi, Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. Here's the code on a command button: If Not IsNull(Me.Doors1.Column(0)) Then Me.OrderItemNo = Me.Doors1.Column(0) Me.ItemQty = Me.Qty1 DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.GoToRecord acDataForm, "Forms!OrdersGarage", acNewRec End If I get an error: "Forms!OrdersGarage" isn't open. I know it's open, it's the form the command button is on. Thanks in advance. Bonnie, You don't need to specify the object name if you're work...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

Stop some records sending table!
I have a code that sends my "Horses" [HorseID] to a "Holding Invoices" table tblInvoice_ItMdt I also have a query that has my "horses" [HorseID] that dont have a owner! What I would like to add is if HorseID is in qryHorseNoOwner to fail to send to tblInvoice_ItMdt Private Sub cmdCreateHoldingInvoices_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Horse_ID_Click Dim recInvoice_ItMdt As ADODB.Recordset Set recInvoice_ItMdt = New ADODB.Recordset Dim recHorseInfo As ADODB.Recordset Set recHorseInfo = New ADODB.Recordset Dim recTmpInvoice_ItMdt As ADODB.Recordset Set r...

Extracting unique records by formula
I want to extract the unique records from column A into column B by formula ie: NOT using the Advanced Filter. Any ideas? Thanks. -- Peter London, UK Stolen from J-Walk: Assuming data is in cells A2:A100. Enter this array formula in B2 - commit with ctrl+shift+enter. =INDEX($A$2:$A$100,SMALL(IF(MATCH($A$2:$A$100,$A$2:$A$100,0)=ROW($A$1:INDIRECT(CHAR(65)&COUNTA($A$2:$A$100))),MATCH($A$2:$A$100,$A$2:$A$100,0),""),ROW()-ROW($A$2:$A$100)+1)) Copy down. Note you will have to adjust the range to suit your data as any blank cells will result in a #NA error. Hope this helps Rowan ...

Printing Notes from Contact record-Outlook 2000 stops after 15 lin
I am using OL2000 and using detailed address card view. When I print using either small or med size booklet, the notes field is truncated after 15 lines. Is this by design. Can this limit be modified? ...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Add new record error
Going nuts... I have a subform which is populated by a query. The problem is when I try to add a new record I get an error message (see below) that pops up, yet then allows me to go ahead and add the details I want and everything seems fine - it saves in the datasheet view. When I go to add a new record, I get the error message again... "You can’t assign a value to this object The object may be a control on a read-only form. The object may be on a form that is open in design view The value may be too large for this field" Is the PK being an autonumber the cause? How do I solve? I...

Deleting of a record
When I delete a record I notice the auto record ID number is not used again, is this a normal function of Access? If I do a query on all records it will show that I am missing a record if I deleted one, this may confuse me not realizing I deleted that record, is there a way to identify that a record or records were deleted? The auto ID is only a unique identifier. If you need to keep track of two sets of records, say active and inactive then indicate a record inactive rather than delete it altogether, possibly with a yes/no check box. -- Jeff C Live Well .. Be Happy In All You Do &...

Lookup Records -- Web Page Dialog
When sending an email and using the look up facility on 'Look For' Contacts, we have a problem when the contact name entered is duplicated across several companies. Without opening each contact property and reviewing, is it possible to amend the page to add parent customer. If so where can I find the page - I have had a look in what I think are the obvious places in customisable entities but can not find it. any help would be greatly appreciated. Aneel ...

Going from 32 bit to 64 bit- Office 2007 Professional not cooperat
Have Office 2007 disc from collage where I teach (legal with license and all). All fine of 32 bit HP. Loaded on brand new Acer running Windows 7 64 bit. Loaded Office Pro 2007, loaded and accepted key, all info transfered, but when try to open any app (Outlook, Word, etc.) pop-up says I must register, do I want to use on line or phone. When I choose online, another pop-up says can't comminicate, try in a few minutes. (internet works just fine). If try to select use phone, window goes away, no phone number, and most features are locked out. Collage IT says nothing wrong ...

Unable to use SetFocus on boolean field
I have a boolean field in one of my forms and it does not appear to have the Crm javascript method SetFocus implemented or at least calling that method results in an error. The method is in the crm sdk listed under the available methods for all field types. The methode does work for textbox fields. so: crmForm.all.some_textbox.SetFocus(); >> works crmForm.all.some_boolean_field.SetFocus(); >> throws an exception Possible Bug? -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT www.aviva-it.nl ------=_NextPart_0001_3FA405FE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encod...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Record not updating right away
Using Access 2003. I have a combox lookup field on a form. When I double click on that field, my physician subform opens up to add a new physician. When I add a new physician, I have to enter the last name, then first name and click back into the last name field then click ok for that name to show up in the list. If I don't do it exactly right and click into the next record for instance, I have to close the database before the new physician name shows up in my list. I have a command button on this subform and in the "on click" event procedure I have this code below. N...

How do you return to record you were working on after requery?
I saw Linq Adams reply to Efandango's question regarding moving to a null field after a requery. I tried the code provided in the answer but it didn't work. My unique id field is numeric. I am not sure if that is why it didn't work. What I am trying to do is go to the form I was working on after a requery. I have seen a variety of code that does it, but I can't get it to work. I think my problem might be with my unique field. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I have been struggling with this for a while, but working on nothing but this for the last two days. ...

Unable to display folder #2
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002, and when I go into tools -> accounts -> view or change current -> change -> more settings -> and click on the advanced tab to add... a mailbox, I type in the correct mailbox name (i.g. ASFAX) and click add. Click OK throughout, and when I get back to my Folder List, I click on the ASFAX and it says "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I know the name of the folder is correct, and it works fine. I have permissions to join the mailbox and other people in my orga...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

entering time #2
hello all.. wondering if there is any way to do this... I have a column formatted for time as in this format 12:00 when entering a time it is cumbersome to have to enter the hour, then a colon, then the minutes. Is it possilbe to simply enter a 4 digit number such as 1245 and have it show up as 12:45 ?? thanks so much... I've found this group to be irreplaceable... glen in orlando Enter your times without colons in column A and put this formula in column B =(A1-RIGHT(A1,2))/2400+RIGHT(A1,2)/(24*60) and format column B for "Time" in the form you want it. Tod "Glen i...

duplicated records
Hi, our customer has problem with duplivating records in database. There we can ee in his database over 600 duplicated records. All of them are from one user, which uses Outlook client Have You some ideas, how can be possible? Thank You Tomas Microsoft CRM will not stop you entering duplicate records. The user must be educated to look for account records for example before creating new ones. In addition there may be some 3rd party addons to help with duplicate checking. If your up for some coding there is a sample application on msdn.microsoft.com. Here is the link http://msdn.microso...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...