Adding default value to pre-existing table

I am working within a database that I created using a downloaded text file. I
have to add a column to the table that will contain the same value in each
field. Is there a way to add this default value to the preexisting table
without keyboarding it in? Thanks in advance for any help.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Create a select query on that table and field. Run it and see what it return.

Next change this query into an Update query. Put in the value that you want
into Update To.

If you don't want to overwrite any existing data, just update empty records,
put Is Null in the criteria.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"frets55" wrote:

> I am working within a database that I created using a downloaded text file. I
> have to add a column to the table that will contain the same value in each
> field. Is there a way to add this default value to the preexisting table
> without keyboarding it in? Thanks in advance for any help.
THANK YOU!

"Jerry Whittle" wrote:

> Create a select query on that table and field. Run it and see what it return.
>
> Next change this query into an Update query. Put in the value that you want
> into Update To.
>
> If you don't want to overwrite any existing data, just update empty records,
> put Is Null in the criteria.
> --
> Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP
>

> "frets55" wrote:
>
> > I am working within a database that I created using a downloaded text file. I
> > have to add a column to the table that will contain the same value in each
> > field. Is there a way to add this default value to the preexisting table
> > without keyboarding it in? Thanks in advance for any help.

Pivot Table Formatting #7
Some of the formatting on my Pivot Tables remain after refreshing, some formatting does not. I have "preserve formatting" checked, "Autoformat Table" unchecked. Excel 2002. Any help would be appreciated - I have had formatting problems with Pivot Tables for years!! You may have to enable selection (From the Pivot toolbar, choose PivotTable>Select, and click on Enable Selection) Before formatting cells, use the selection feature to select the cells. For example, move the pointer to the top of a column in the pivot table (just above the column's heading cell...

Propagate Default & anonymous "client permission" with ESM
How can I propagate Default & anonymous "client permission" with ESM ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?mid=9c4cf5db-a3c7-4a87-8b2a-eb86b06ec08f&dg=microsoft.public.ex...

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

nslookup
Hi. Got a nslookup question if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated. We have many DC's in our site. At times, when I run nslookup I will get the following results: DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: Timed out DNS request timed out. timeout was 2 seconds. *** Can't find server name for address 10.x.x.x: TImed out *** Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnows Address: 10.x.x.x The IP's that show above have been DC's that have been demoted and are no lon...

ADDING A NUMBER

Default PO Price Different From Cost Prices in Item Card
The standard cost, current cost and the orginating invoice cost in the item card are all the same (£2.11). When creating a PO, the correct Unit Cost appears as long as the quantities have not yet been changed. However, once a quantity has been entered, the Unit Cost changes to another figure (£12.89), which we're not sure where it's being pulled from. Has anyone experienced the same problem or have any thoughts on this matter? Thank you If you have ordered this item before from the same vendor, you will have a vendor item card. That card records the last price...

adding new records

freeze values
XL2000 I made a sheet that helps me do estimates based on several different products and lengths. everything works perfectly but one little detail When I input some sizes, excel does its thing, and give me all the information in six separate cells. Problem is, in six cells just below I need to estimate basically the same product but with different sizes when I change the sizes all of the information changes on the first six cells Question is there away to freeze the first six cell information before I change the size for the next size cells Hi Alan AFAIK only be "removing&qu...

When adding attachments...

Incorrect Account Value
I'm using money 2003 and it seems that my account values for my investment accounts are incorrect. When I look in my portfolio the stocks and cash add up to the total account value (this figure is correct), but when I look at the totals on the main accounts list page the # is quite different. I understand that this number is coming from the account value total which is displayed when you click on view invetment transactions within each account, but this # is incorrect. Any suggestions?? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, E M wrote: >I'm using money 2003 and it seems th...

grouping in Excel Pivot table
currently i am using pivot table to calculate the grand total for ageing day in my report. The ageing day are 1, 2, 3 to 6 days and > 6 days that i want to group together. In pivot table, it can only able to calculate the grand total like total ageing for 1 day, 2 days, 3 days.... and go on. Is there any way that pivot table will do what i want or you guys can suggest any other method? I am aware of group function in pivot table but it cannot suit my needs. Thanks Lim Heng Sin All sorts of data can be analysed by adding another column to the base data and using the new field in ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages.
How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in incoming HTML messages. -- "J. J." JDJ <jj@invalid.invalid> wrote: > How can I make Make Outlook 2003 default to and use Large Text size in > incoming HTML messages. I would think that the sender controls the text size for incoming HTML messages. -- Brian Tillman On the View Drop Down of an open message window there is a Text Size menu bar which when you mouse on it gives you 5 choices. I just want it to default to largest so I don't have to go through that with each new message I read. ...

multiple value choices for If range().value = "xxx"
The macro below runs on worksheet change and works properly. However, I have 5 values to examine in column H. The values are: Split, Payday 1, Payday 2, Payday 3, and Payday 4. Any of these choices should result in unlocking and clearing the cells in that row (first part of if statement). Otherwise, the range 'pasterage' is copied to that row and it is locked again. I can't find the proper syntax (if there is any) to say something like is possible in SQL (if ...value in ("Split","Payday 1",...)) Please advise on the best way to go about this. ...

Adding alternate columns

default pivot tabel from count to sum
Everytime I create a pivot table, it defaults to Count. I don't use count. I always use sum. Can this be changed somehow? EXCEL 2007 Pivot Table Data Crunching for Microsoft Office EXCEL 2007 by Jelen / Alexander page 292 states:- “MY PIVOT TABLE ALWAYS USES COUNT INSTEAD OF SUM You have a column in your data source that contains numbers. Furthermore, you have explicitly formatted that column to be a number field. Nevertheless, each time you try to add it to your Pivot Table EXCEL automatically tries to use Count on the field instead of Sum. This leaves you...

Folders not set to AutoArchive default.
All the Outlook folders on my system are set to "Do not archive items in this folder". Since I have hundreds of folders it is a tedious process going to each folder and changing the AutoArchive setting to "Archive items in this folder using the default settings". Is there a way to set all the folders to "Archive items in this folder using the default settings" without having to do each one separately? Also, is there a way to set up Outlook so all new folders are created with the AutoArchive set to "Archive items in this folder using the default sett...

Adding fields from a different query

Change default font for text boxes in Publisher
Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft Publisher fo all publications? Setting Text Defaults using Normal.pub by Brian Kvalheim http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "JennyN" <JennyN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:927C7AFC-F92D-419F-B49E-DA5B444956E1@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to change the default font for text boxes in Microsoft...

null default values on a form
Hi, bet this question has been asked before: i have created a form so a user can add new records and edit existing ones. For editing purposes my form also has a search drop down by a record number. When i open the form it always shows me the first record from the table, but i just want it to be copmletely blank until a user choses his record for editing. If i change Form properties (Data Entry =Yes) it works but Search function does not work at all. Thanks Mike "Mikhail Bogorad" <mikhail.bogorad@gmail.com> wrote in message news:435afcee-9744-4f5e-8f95-232efa00c...