Add New Record Using Combo Box

I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have >a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to >choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the >first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the >information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a >button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. >I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone >could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.STOP.You're misunderstanding how relational databases work!A table of Employee Info should have last name, first name, etc.That information should NOT be stored redundantly in the Trip Details table -only the  unique EmployeeID should.Typically one would use a Form based on Employee Info, and a Subform based onTrip Details, with (just!) trip information entered on the subform. TheEmployeeID would be the master link field/child link field of the subform.Check out some of the suggestions at:Jeff Conrad's resources page:http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.htmlThe Access Web resources page:http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 1:35:12 AM
In the Trip Details table, I added the SSN as a foreign key, I didn't add any other employee data. The primary key in that table is Trip ID. I linked SSN from employee info table to the SSN in Trip Details table for a one to many relationship. I want to have the main form to hold the employee information, and the subform for the trip information. However, I want the user to be able to click a button in the main switchboard to open the form in add new record view, so when the form opens, it will be completely blank. Then, I want to have a combo box which has all the employees names listed, and when the user clicks on the name they want, the rest of the employee fields will be populated, but the subform will still be blank so that the user can add all the new trip information about the employee they picked."John W. Vinson" wrote:> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 17:26:03 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote:> > >I am using 2 different tables: Employee Info and Trip Details. I need to have > >a blank form open to enter new information, but I would like a combo box to > >choose the employees name, as there are over 300 employees. Ideally, the > >first name, last name, and DOB would be populated, but the rest of the > >information would still be blank to add new data. I could then just hit a > >button to open the form again to add information about a different employee. > >I am having a problem doing this and would greatly appreciate if someone > >could let me know how to accomplish this. Thanks.> > STOP.> > You're misunderstanding how relational databases work!> > A table of Employee Info should have last name, first name, etc.> > That information should NOT be stored redundantly in the Trip Details table -> only the  unique EmployeeID should.> > Typically one would use a Form based on Employee Info, and a Subform based on> Trip Details, with (just!) trip information entered on the subform. The> EmployeeID would be the master link field/child link field of the subform.> > Check out some of the suggestions at:> > Jeff Conrad's resources page:> http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html> > The Access Web resources page:> http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html> >              John W. Vinson [MVP]>
On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:28:10 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>I want the user to be able >to click a button in the main switchboard to open the form in add new record >view, so when the form opens, it will be completely blank. Then, I want to >have a combo box which has all the employees names listed, and when the user >clicks on the name they want, the rest of the employee fields will be >populated, but the subform will still be blank so that the user can add all >the new trip information about the employee they picked.Use the Form toolbox Combo Box wizard to create an unbound combo box on themain form - "Use this combo to find a record". You don't want or need tocreate a new employee record, just navigate to the existing one.What exactly are the trip details? Are there multiple records of details abouteach trip? If so you need a Trips table: one employee --- many trips, eachtrip --- many details. You may need a sub-subform.             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 3:33:34 AM
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:58:18 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>wrote:>These are bus drivers for people with disabilities. There is 1 bus driver per >trip and many details for the trip, bus#, route#, number of passengers, is >there an aide, odometer reading before and after, etc. It's really pretty >simple. Like you said, the bus drivers are already in their own table, so a >new driver will not be added, just a new trip for each driver. But because >there are so many drivers, I would like a drop down box for the user to >select the driver's name and just add all the trip details. Thanks again.This should be pretty simple then. Simply base a Form on the trip table; usethe Combo Box Wizard to create a combo box bound to the driverID, based on thetable of drivers. The combo can *display* the driver's name while storingtheir ID; the user doesn't need to even see the ID.             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
John
3/22/2007 3:08:03 PM
Thank you so much. I will try that and let you know how I make out."John W. Vinson" wrote:> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 06:58:18 -0700, Marie <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote:> > >These are bus drivers for people with disabilities. There is 1 bus driver per > >trip and many details for the trip, bus#, route#, number of passengers, is > >there an aide, odometer reading before and after, etc. It's really pretty > >simple. Like you said, the bus drivers are already in their own table, so a > >new driver will not be added, just a new trip for each driver. But because > >there are so many drivers, I would like a drop down box for the user to > >select the driver's name and just add all the trip details. Thanks again.> > This should be pretty simple then. Simply base a Form on the trip table; use> the Combo Box Wizard to create a combo box bound to the driverID, based on the> table of drivers. The combo can *display* the driver's name while storing> their ID; the user doesn't need to even see the ID.> > >              John W. Vinson [MVP]>

Using CRM Application Pool for Custom ASP.NET application
Hi All I am having 2 server based CRM configuration set that is CRM database is on other server, My intallation on multi server went well and CRM is working fine. I have asp.net application which also uses the same database server as CRM and it is deployed on CRM web server. I have added this ASP.NET application to the Application Pool that CRM is using so that I don't have problem in Connecting to Database server however though CRM is able to connect to the database my ASP.NET application is not getting trusted connection on sql server. What am i doing wrong here? Do I have to ...

Some first problems using word 2007
Hello. I have some problem using word 2007 first time. Old documents don't appear as they used to. When there is a header-style, I see that it is incorrect, and there is an annoying number (1bu, 2bu , ... 20bu) at each header. Second thing : I change a line and other lines are change too. I don't know where can I change a header-style, so I assume this may be the problem. Thanks :) Are you saying that all of your existing documents have a problem with numbering? I'm assuming you are referring to *headings* and heading numbers rather than headers (the area abov...

Add Lookup Fields to Entity

Record Deleted
I am attempting to write a simple query and when I choose the information in ascending order I am receiving an error message that states a record has been deleted and will not provide the report. I'm finding that I'm receiving this message on several already created queries. How can I correct this without losing information? The only change has been the relocation of the file to another folder. Are you talking about the main .mdb file that's been moved? Is the database split? If so, have you relinked the tables after moving the file? Do you have full permissions to the fol...

How do I use a cell value as the filename in an external link?
I want to set up a workbook with several values from linked workbooks. I would like to enter a value in column A and then use that value as the filename in the rest of the cells that link to the external workbook. For example: I want to enter A122 into colum A - and have the cell in column B pick that value up and link to a cell in an external workbook with that name Obviously, the following function links correctly to the external file and returns the correct value: ='G:\Local files\Sample Tracking\[A122.xls]Sample Request'!$E$2 But, I do not want to have to change the syntax ...

Problems creating a PDF file from a report using autoexec macro
Hi, I am using the autoexec macro to run a report and print it out as a pdf file. My steps in the autoexec macro are 1. OpenReport 2. Print Out 3. RunCode 4. Quit. The RunCode is designed to delay the closing of the application by two minutes so that the pdf file can be created. Whenever I run this, I get a box that comes up and says "Print Macro Definitions" Include for Macro _Properties _Actions and Arguments _Permissions by User and Group. The application hangs on this without closing. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is Print Out the right command? Tha...

Excel Add Ins

Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ; Open .msi files as a Limited User by using RUNAS ; [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas\command] @=hex(2):22,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f, 00,6f,00,74,\ 00,25,00,5c,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c, 00,6d,00,\ 73,00,69,00,65,00,78,00,65,00,63,00,2e, 00,65,00,78,00,65,00,22,00,20,00,2f,\ 00,69,00,20,00,22,00,25,00,31,00,22,00,20,00,25,00,2a,00,00,00 That's all very well, but it's not magic! You will still need the correct password of a valid user profile on that machine, tha...

Opening new Excel window
Windows 2000. When have an exel already open, when I click on another excel file (or its shortcut) it opens into the same excel main window. Then I can view either one of the excel applications by selecting the appropriate window. Is there a setting such that new excel will open in its own window? If so, how? [Currently I can get this effect in a less convenient way by starting the excel directly the second time, and then reading in the excel file.] Alan Beban You could have one instance of excel open and have multiple "tasks" appearing on the taskbar via: Tools|optio...

Add on

POS 2009 Add-In: Populating a Task Pad

Using spellcheck freezes Outlook 2003 on send
I have one user that has this happen to where they lose emails due to frozen Outlook. It only happens on spellcheck. It followed him from one computer to another when I used Office's "Save My Settings Wizard" to transfer his Office settings to his new laptop. He's using HTML email without Word. Any ideas on resetting his dictionary or whatever's causing this? I assume it's either a file or a registry setting that transfers with the wizard. ...

copy entire contents worksheet into new workbook, link but editabl
I need to copy the entire contents of a worksheet which is used by several collegues who need to see it looking the same always (headers in the same order,etc). In the new worksheet (workbook) I will rearrange the data for other purposes. However, I will need the data to be kept up-to-date as per the source worksheet. ...

Add-in cannot be loaded OL07

Format text to add character

Add File menu to custom toolbar

Ex2000 Used as Relay?
The administrator's mailbox is full of Undeliverable messages. After a closer look, all the messages were sent to random recipients. Not only that, the original e-mail were not sent by anyone from our domain but it message stated that the message came from our server What is going on here? Here are two examples of return message -----Original Message---- From: MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON@bounced-mail.com] Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 5:55 P To: Administrato Subject: Undeliverable: Returned mail: see transcript for detail Your messag Sent: Date: Sat, 7 F...

UDP using CAsyncSocket
I have always used CAsyncSocket to make TCP connections. But for my current project I need to receive from a UDP stream. I thought I would just use CAsyncSocket and specify SOCK_DGRAM in the Create function. I asked my client for the address and port I should be using. He told me the port number and said "its UDP, I don't need an address". I said "Oh" and I left. I never connected to UDP before so I don't know. Now I am in my office and I am looking stuff up and I am confused... For UDP, do I need an address to receive data as a client? ...

add a DC in a LegSite

Use the X button on a userform
I know how to disable the X button on a userform but I was wondering if there was a possibility that when it is used that it opens the userform splash? Thanks in advance Greg Hi Greg Private Sub UserForm_QueryClose(Cancel As Integer, CloseMode As Integer) If CloseMode <> 1 Then Splash.Show End If End Sub HTH Cordially Pascal "Greg B" <laptopgb@ihug.com.au> a �crit dans le message de news: d69ece$9v3$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... >I know how to disable the X button on a userform but I was wondering if > there was a possibility that when it is used that it opens the us...

How does excel note a newline (ie new line but in same cell)
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi <br> Have legal transcription i need to manipulate partly in excel on mac. want each cell to be one question or answer in deposition, but can't allow excel to wrap the text of the question or answer, which is typically several lines, as in depositions each line is numbered and i want to preserve the numbers matching the lines. so i would like to manually add the character/formatting in my text editor before i bring the text back into excel. <br><br>or perhaps i can write an excel macro or f...