Access2007 in Sharepoint

If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same
version of access to use the mdb?
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

On Dec 11, 1:24 pm, casper <cas...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same
> version of access to use the mdb?

My impression is not really. or at least not if you don't want a
frequently corruped database.

Access can look at and access and link to sharepoint tables/views
HOWEVER I have found it to be horribly slow. I have written a couple
of apps that pulled info from sharepoint and the best way was to
simply append the sharepoint view into a local/linked table and use
the copy for what I needed it for. It was too slow if I tried to do
what I needed with the actual sharepoint view.

Ron
0
Ron2006
12/12/2007 1:14:53 PM
On Dec 12, 6:14 am, Ron2006 <ronne...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 11, 1:24 pm, casper <cas...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same
> > version of access to use the mdb?
>
> My impression is not really. or at least not if you don't want a
> frequently corruped database.
>
> Access can look at and access and link to sharepoint tables/views
> HOWEVER I have found it to be horribly slow. I have written a couple
> of apps that pulled info from sharepoint and the best way was to
> simply append the sharepoint view into a local/linked table and use
> the copy for what I needed it for. It was too slow if I tried to do
> what I needed with the actual sharepoint view.
>
> Ron

addendum.  The above is using Access 2003. I do not have 2007 and have
seen nothing relative to that topic.
0
Ron2006
12/12/2007 1:16:08 PM
Ron,
I totally agree and assume that it will totally slow down the performance if
I perform any linking into sharepoint data, but what if i upload the entire
mdb file up onto sharepoint would it matter which version of access the user
has on their local machine to access the db? How does it exactly work? Would
forms be viewed as web pages or the client will be temporarily be given a
copy per say onto their local hard drive and when ready to save it uploads
the data back into sharepoint.. you know somewhat like a regular word
document saved? i don't know maybe if you can recommend some documentation
out there that will help me integrate Access2007 into sharepoint, etc. would
be good start.

Thank you in advance..

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FzcGVy?= <casper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> what if i upload the entire
> mdb file up onto sharepoint would it matter which version of
> access the user has on their local machine to access the db?

I don't know that Sharepoint offers any methods for accessing an MDB
stored on it, regardless of the version of Access.

David
12/12/2007 8:18:12 PM
On Dec 12, 1:18 pm, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...@dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:
> =?Utf-8?B?Y2FzcGVy?= <cas...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote innews:2AAAF267-6DBE-466E-A675-FE28C1B06F5C@microsoft.com:
>
> > what if i upload the entire
> > mdb file up onto sharepoint would it matter which version of
> > access the user has on their local machine to access the db?
>
> I don't know that Sharepoint offers any methods for accessing an MDB
> stored on it, regardless of the version of Access.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

I believe that David is correct.

Regardless of that, Access is Access. Nothing is going to magically
convert the forms to web pages.- at least not in current versions of
either. And it would matter what versions if it could access the mdb.
Files are not changed because they are on a sharepoint "Drive". An
Access 97 mdb is still be an access 97 mdb just like a word doc would
still be whatever version created it until it was opened and modified
by a later version and at that point earlier versions of word would
probably have a tough time with it.

Ron
0
Ron2006

How do i get the product of max. price in access2007 query?
in query i want to get product ID with the Max. or Min. price The SQL statement for a query to do that would be SELECT ProductID FROM SomeTable WHERE Price = DMax("Price","SomeTable") OR SELECT TOP 1 ProductID FROM SomeTable ORDER BY Price DESC IF you need something more specific post more details on what you are attempting to do. John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010 The Hilltop Institute University of Maryland Baltimore County amr wrote: > in query i want to get product ID with the Max. or Min. price ...

Access2007 image issue
I created a new access2007 accdb and imported the forms, queries, modules etc... from an existing accdb. Everything looks fine except some images on buttons got screwed up. Before screenshot: http://www.rptsoftware.com/bug/before.jpg After screenshot: http://www.rptsoftware.com/bug/after.jpg see the export to excel, report, email, letter and filter buttons and how the images got changed. Has anyone seen this before? Know how I can prevent it? I like to do this process fairly often to guard against corruption. I used bmp files for the images when I originally embedde...

Outlook Contacts and SharePoint List
I am running Outlook 07 and SharePoint 10. We are trying to get our contact list out of sharePoint into Outlook for a contact list and have it update realtime. Is this possible and if so how do we go about doing this? Thanks for any help in advance. ...

Auto-Refresh Sharepoint
I would like to know how this is normally accomplished out there in the real world. We're looking at putting some of our Excel Reports out on our Sharepoint Intranet - Naturally, we need to set up a DSN on the server. But up until now, we've had developers refreshing the data locally, on their own machines, and then sending the Excel file to the manager who needed it. Doing it this way, we only had to use Windows Authentication. First - is this commonly done? Second - how do you setup the authentication? Any input would be appreciated. ...

SharePoint Services for Outlook 2007
Working with a Vista Ultimate machine with Office 2007. I have the "SharePoint Services 3.0 SP1" download. I write to inquire if this would enable my machine to host "workspaces" using this computer as a sharepoint server. If so, configuration documentaton would be helpful. Additionally, how much of a "SharePoint Server" can one expect from this download. Ideally, I would like to post milestones, tasks, alerts from my Project Professional 2007. Yes I do understand that even if this works it would only work while the machine is on and connect...

Sharepoint Permissions Shot on SBS 2008
Hey everyone, I have some serious Sharepoint 3.0 Issues. For starters, after the upgrade to Sharepoint 3.0, the Windows Search Server went down, along with all site access. I spent hours bringing every site back online, but I have no access whatsoever to the Sharepoint Admin. I get "Error: Access Denied" for every single user account. I have read hundreds of articles online for fixing this issue and they all say to login as another user and delete and re-add the broken user account. What do you do when all user accounts are broken? Also, when going to the Sharep...

Problem installing CRM wiht SQL Reports SP2 SharePoint integrated
Hi I'm having trouble installing MS CRM 3.0 with SQL Server SP2 in SharePoint integrated mode. I get the following error message and the install will go no further. Is there a patch or a way round this problem. Regards Andrew Error message ------- Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://inex2.ncl.ac.uk/reportserver. Error: The operation is not supported on a report server that is configured to run in SharePoint integrated mode ------- Maybe this will fix the problem http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922/ "Andrew Stokes" wrote: &g...

Help with SQL (Access2007)
Hello. I am trying to integrate data from several sites into 1 (new) table. In order to distinguish the data from each site in the new table I have a field (InstID) which holds the Instution number of the site. The fields from the old site tables and the new table are identical except for the InstID. InstID and ClientID are Primary Keys. The path to the old table is asked, then the number for the InstID is asked and placed as a variable - varInstID. I have an append sql as follows: Private Sub UpdateDB_Click() ' populate the clients table strSql = "INSERT INTO tblClients ( In...

Word X and MS Sharepoint
We are using Sharepoint (hosted on microsoft's server). We have one person in a remote office who is using a Mac with OS X and OfficeX. A group is collaborating mainly on a few Word documents and the user with a Mac cannot edit the document directly in Word as our PC users do. They have to download the document edit it and then upload it. This is counter to the whole idea of collaboration, because meanwhile someone else has edited the document and someone's changes are bound to be lost. Is there some way to get Word on the Mac to work properly with Sharepoint? Thanks in advance! Jaime...

DB Files with Access2007
Can any help prev with Access2003 I could read .db Files but 2007 return a invalid file Same goes with Excel 2003 was able to read mdb and db files but not with 2007 Thanks Hennie ...

Access 2007 report and form shortcuts in Sharepoint?
The Access 2007 "Move to Sharepoint Site Wizard" allows you to check "...and create shortcuts to my Access forms and reports." Even after setting the table and form properties to enable display on Sharepoint site, still no shortcuts. The tables become SharePoint lists as expected, the front end is published to the specified document library, but no shortcuts. How do I get the shortcuts in SharePoint? ...

Speed Access2007
Is it normal that Access 2007 is about 3 times slower then access XP It depends upon the machine and the Operating System. With enough RAM and processor speed you shouldn't see too much difference. Do not think that you will get great performance on a 512 MB machine though. I use 2GB of RAM on production machines. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Luciano" <balloonplanning@skynet.be> wrote in message news:CF26DB83-891A-448E-9EA4-E5ABDFD1BF66@microsoft.com... > Is it normal that Access 2007 is abo...

Publishing Excel Builder Reports to Sharepoint
Looks simple but can't get it to work. Is there documentation for how to publish reports to sharepoint? Hi Once you create the report in Excel Report Builder, Please follow the following steps Click the Publish button. Select SharePoint as the Publish To option. Select the Product and Series that the report will be published under. If you want to create or update the data connection files, mark the Create data connection checkbox and enter the filename and SharePoint Library. If you want to create or update the Excel Report, mark the Create Excel report checkbox and enter the file...

sharepoint email
Does sharepoint email use the sbs2008 email system? Or is it separate by itself? Please advise and thanks. On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:28:56 -0600, "john doe" <johndoe@johndoe.com> wrote: >Does sharepoint email use the sbs2008 email system? >Or is it separate by itself? >Please advise and thanks. > Hi - it uses Exchange. Thanks for the info Lanwench. "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message news:10lii51elrjdtnfhv3td8upa3fias7dhdc@4ax.com... > On Wed, 16 Dec 2...

SharePoint Scroll Bar
I'm quite new to SharePoint and I was wondering how to disable the Scroll Bar in a content query web part. Thanks Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice JQuery and partial views in an ASP.NET MVC application http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/a8081c04-776d-4322-b403-84508b0ae3b5/jquery-and-partial-views.aspx Try to overwrite it with CSS overflow:hidden Regards, Shady Khorshed - SharePoint MVP <Daniel Arnold> wrote in message news:201015121218daniel.arnold@eaststaffsbc.gov.uk... > I'm quite new to SharePoint and I was wond...

Sharepoint/Business Portal and Information Worker.
For anyone interested, please contact me if you would like information developing a portal solution. Rose Business Solutions, Inc has achieved its Information Worker Competency from Microsoft. We have many years of Sharepoint and Portal design, implementation, and development under our belt. We have implemented Sharepoint and Business Portal for customers ranging from 5 people to 500 people. I would enjoy hearing more from anyone who is beginning this process. Thanks -- Jake Bastien Manager of Advanced Technology Services Rose Business Solutions, Inc. jake.bastien@rosebizinc.com ...

access2007 reports
I have reports from an access database that I could analyze with excel in version 2003. Then I could email the excel file to be used elsewhere. With 2007 ther doesn't seem to be a way to get the report into excel. The only thing I can think of it to just run the query and that can be exported to excel. I am using the trial version of office 2007 because the person that is now using the database has 2007 and I need to be able to help her. Any ideas on why 2007 won't let you analyze a report in 2007? Sorry about the bad news, but this feature is not available in A2007 due t...

Windows 7, MS Project, or Sharepoint which to get first
We are planning on getting all 3 but were wondering what questions to ask as to which to get first to start development with. Project Server runs on sharepoint, so you if you are using project server you need sharepoint. Project can run on windows vista, etc. so Windows 7 would not be a requirement. Of course if you want to use project you need to get project too... Sharepoint requires some sort of operating system, so if you have none then you need to buy something - and windows server would be a good starting point. What are you planning to develop? -Jack "chaz...

sharepoint product version vs Sharepoint schema version?
I've new to Sharepoint, and I've been googling sharepoint product versions and schema versions, and I am confused... http://blogs.msdn.com/shaden/archive/2008/01/10/migrated-to-sp1-checking-your-database-schema-version.aspx based on the above page, it sounds like the sharepoint product version should be the same as the schema version, but even within that page the versions are not all the same: I see "12.0.0.4518", 12.0.4518.1016..., where even the 3rd positions are not the same. Then when I google other sites, they refer to version 3.0 of the schema and vers...

sharepoint backup and restores on sbs 2998
I have the correct registry entries for SharePoint Services 3.0 backup according to the technet documentation; however, SharePoint does not appear as an application on the restore application wizard, only Exchange which is also in the registry. Any clues to how to get SharePoint restore to show up, and more importantly, to know if it is actually being backed up properly? Hi Larry, Backup Methods for WSS 3.0 in SBS 2008 http://blogs.technet.com/b/asksbs/archive/2008/10/01/backup-methods-for-wss-3-0-in-sbs-2008.aspx -- Merv Porter [SBS-MVP] ===========================...

Access2007 in Sharepoint
If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same version of access to use the mdb? On Dec 11, 1:24 pm, casper <cas...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > If i put an access2007 mdb on sharepoint, does everyone has to have the same > version of access to use the mdb? My impression is not really. or at least not if you don't want a frequently corruped database. Access can look at and access and link to sharepoint tables/views HOWEVER I have found it to be horribly slow. I have written a couple of apps that pulled info from sharepoint and the best w...

Outlook contacts distribution lists to sharepoint users
I need to get an outlook contact list / distribution list into sharepoint as a user group - can you provide steps on how to do this? thx I dont think its possible to use outlook contacts as a user group in sharepoint. The max you can do is sync calendars from outlook with sharepoint. Regards, Vaibhav Desai ...

Sharepoint
I am createing an application that may, one day, if all goes well be put on Sharepoint for multiple users in different locations to use. Do i just proceed as normal or are there certain steps i should take in the design in order to ensure success if we put it up on sharepoint? thanks. ...

Sharepoint and GP
At Convergence this year there was a session about GP and Sharepoint (it was GP12 -- How Microsoft Dynamics GP Helps Save You Money with Microsoft Office Sharepoint) and John Dooley gave a demo of some workflow that was between GP and Sharepoint. A customer was created in GP and it would automatically send a business alert to Sharepoint to create a folder for that customer. Was anyone else here sitting in or know about how he did that? I know how to do the alert, of course, and I have a rudimentary understanding of the workflow in WSS 3, but how do the two talk to each other so it makes the ...

Sharepoint backup
Hi My sharepoint web site fails to make backup in central administration.However is there an other way to backup the sharepoint database? There are multiple ways to backup sharepoint database. 1. Catastrophic backup: This can be done using the central administration site. And you can backup either the individual sites or the entire farm. 2. SQL backup: This is far the most easiest and secure way to backup your sharepoint data. 3. Command line backup: This can be done using stsadm -o backup command. 4. Sharepoint designer backup: Not a favourable way, but you can still backup ...