Access - find most recent date in a record containing 9 dates

I have a table that has 9 immunization dates in each record.  I need to
capture the most recent date for a report.  All the information I have found
refers to comparing dates between records, not within a single record.
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Johanna

Can I suggest you split your table.  It's quite simple.

1st Make a copy of your database and work on the copy (just in case)

Open the copy of your database
Copy the table and paste with a new names
tblA  -   tblB

Open table A and delete all the immunization dates

Open table B and delete everuthing "except" the immunization dates and the
ID field (or other primary field)
If you have used an autonumber for the primary field change the format to
Number. and remove the primary field status.
Insert a new field into table B  and make it an autonumber

Close both tables and open the relationship window
Click the primary field in table A and drag it over the new field you have
just made in table B.  Select -  enforce referential integrity

You now have a properly contstructed table structure for both these tables.
AND you can (if you want) add as many  immunization dates for each record as
you want.

You can create a main form from Table A and a sub frm from table B, etc, etc.

Back to your post - you can also select the most recent  immunization date
from any record very simply by making a query with both tables in and using
=DMax("[TheDateFiedInTableB]", "[TableB]") as a criteria

Hope this helps

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

Wayne-I-M <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Can I suggest you split your table.  It's quite simple.

I suspect you mean normalize your table rather than splitting.

>You now have a properly contstructed table structure for both these tables.

Not really.  Now you have a one to one table.  I suspect you mean you
should create a table which has as a foreign key the first tables
primary key.  Another field would be a foreign key to an Immunization
type table.  A third field would be the date field.  Then you'd need
to use nine append queries to populate this table.

Thus you'd have potentially nine times as many records in this table
as the original table.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

> I suspect you mean normalize your table rather than splitting.
Like I used to say - Scusate,ma il mio Inglese fa schiffo :-) Percio se non
ci siamo capiti, mi mandate un messagio e provero di spiegarmi meglio.
LoL

> Not really.  Now you have a one to one table.
I assumed that Johanna had only one table to start with - now she has 2 ?

>I suspect you mean you should create a table
>which has as a foreign key the first tables
> primary key.
I thought I said that ?
I was giveing a step by step method rather then just a technical
explanation.  I find it's better - I know prefer it when something new is
explaned that way.

> Thus you'd have potentially nine times as many records in this table
> as the original table.
Yes but apart from the added primary field of the new table Johanna should
have the same amount of data only now it's (your word) normalize.
I just looked this word up in my Italian / English diconary and it's not
there.  I think it means the process of createing the correct relationships
between tables, etc.

So Johanna does have more records and a new table but before there was not
the possiblity to add more than 9, so i think my suggestion was correct.  If
not it's still the way I would do it.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> Wayne-I-M <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Can I suggest you split your table.  It's quite simple.
>
> I suspect you mean normalize your table rather than splitting.
>
> >You now have a properly contstructed table structure for both these tables.
>
> Not really.  Now you have a one to one table.  I suspect you mean you
> should create a table which has as a foreign key the first tables
> primary key.  Another field would be a foreign key to an Immunization
> type table.  A third field would be the date field.  Then you'd need
> to use nine append queries to populate this table.
>
> Thus you'd have potentially nine times as many records in this table
> as the original table.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

I should have mentioned that the initial table comes from another database.
I cannot modify its structure.  Each time I run the Access database, it goes
out to the primary database and captures this table (along with quite a few
other tables).

I was thinking I might be able to use a maketable query that would create a
little table for one record at a time.  It would get overwritten as the
report goes from one student to the next.  Is that possible?

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> Wayne-I-M <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Can I suggest you split your table.  It's quite simple.
>
> I suspect you mean normalize your table rather than splitting.
>
> >You now have a properly contstructed table structure for both these tables.
>
> Not really.  Now you have a one to one table.  I suspect you mean you
> should create a table which has as a foreign key the first tables
> primary key.  Another field would be a foreign key to an Immunization
> type table.  A third field would be the date field.  Then you'd need
> to use nine append queries to populate this table.
>
> Thus you'd have potentially nine times as many records in this table
> as the original table.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

Sorry missed this bit

Then you'd need
to use nine append queries to populate this table.

No you wouldn't.  Sorry but the method I gave to Johanna was the very safe
method of creating the table "without" the need to populate the table.  As it
was a "copy" of the original with most fields deleted it was already
populated with the corect field data and foreign field "providing that" the
method was follwed as I put.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
  Then you'd need
> to use nine append queries to populate this table.

The point is, to be properly normalized, she needs 9 rows in the second
table, not one row with 9 fields.

Your approach wouldn't correct that. As Tony says, you'd need 9 append
queries to fix it (or just 8 if you leave the first date field intact)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry missed this bit
>
> Then you'd need
> to use nine append queries to populate this table.
>
> No you wouldn't.  Sorry but the method I gave to Johanna was the very safe
> method of creating the table "without" the need to populate the table.  As
> it
> was a "copy" of the original with most fields deleted it was already
> populated with the corect field data and foreign field "providing that"
> the
> method was follwed as I put.
>

> --
> Wayne
> Manchester, England.
>

> "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
>  Then you'd need
>> to use nine append queries to populate this table.

0
Douglas
6/3/2007 10:08:22 PM
> As Tony says, you'd need 9 append
> queries to fix it (or just 8 if you leave the first date field intact)

OK, but append queries??? I only want 9 rows in the table so that they get
overwritten for each new immunization record.

The structure is:  each kid has 8-10 different immunizations, each kind of
immunization is a separate record with places for up to 9 dates.  So each
time I read a new immunization record I need to re-populate that table.  This
includes clearing any lines for which there are no dates in the new record.
Hope this is clear!
Oh - I see what you mean now

>I have a table that has 9 immunization dates in each record.

Should have read the properly.  I went along on the assumption that johanna
had 9 records - each one with a date in.

Well spotted Tony

Johanna - ignor my post.

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> The point is, to be properly normalized, she needs 9 rows in the second
> table, not one row with 9 fields.
>
> Your approach wouldn't correct that. As Tony says, you'd need 9 append
> queries to fix it (or just 8 if you leave the first date field intact)
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no private e-mails, please)
>

> "Wayne-I-M" <WayneIM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry missed this bit
> >
> > Then you'd need
> > to use nine append queries to populate this table.
> >
> > No you wouldn't.  Sorry but the method I gave to Johanna was the very safe
> > method of creating the table "without" the need to populate the table.  As
> > it
> > was a "copy" of the original with most fields deleted it was already
> > populated with the corect field data and foreign field "providing that"
> > the
> > method was follwed as I put.
> >

> > --
> > Wayne
> > Manchester, England.
> >

> > "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
> >  Then you'd need
> >> to use nine append queries to populate this table.

Hi Johanna

Sorry about the mess-up.  Here is your answer - you need to create a sub
query - so create a new query based on the table you are importing

You need at least 2 columns,  Primary field,  Immunization Dates Field.  Use
this as the criteria for the immunization date field

In (Select Top 1 [ImmunizationDatesField] From TableName Where
[PrimaryField] =[TableName].[PrimaryField] Order By [ImmunizationDatesField]
Desc)

Change
Immunization Dates Field
Primary Field
Table Name

This will give you the top date for each record.  I "Think" this is what you
are looking for

--
Wayne
Manchester, England.

"Johanna" <Johanna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> As Tony says, you'd need 9 append
>> queries to fix it (or just 8 if you leave the first date field intact)
>>

> OK, but append queries??? I only want 9 rows in the table so that they get
> overwritten for each new immunization record.
>
> The structure is:  each kid has 8-10 different immunizations, each kind of
> immunization is a separate record with places for up to 9 dates.  So each
> time I read a new immunization record I need to re-populate that table.
> This
> includes clearing any lines for which there are no dates in the new
> record.
> Hope this is clear!

Our point is that having 9 fields that can hold dates in a single row is
wrong.

Rather than having 1 record

ChildID      ImmunizationID    ImmunDate1 ImmunDate2  ImmunDate3  ImmunDate4
123            XYZ                       2002-03-22    2003-02-11
2004-03-02    2005-03-12  ...

you should have 4 records

ChildID      ImmunizationID  ImmunDate
123           XYZ                      2002-03-22
123           XYZ                      2003-02-11
123           XYZ                      2004-03-02
123           XYZ                      2005-03-12

That means you need to transform the existing data. You can use a UNION
query to do that:

SELECT ChildID, ImmunizationID, ImmunDate1 As ImmunDate
FROM MyTable
UNION
SELECT ChildID, ImmunizationID, ImmunDate2
FROM MyTable
UNION
SELECT ChildID, ImmunizationID, ImmunDate3
FROM MyTable
UNION
UNION
SELECT ChildID, ImmunizationID, ImmunDate9
FROM MyTable

In fact, that UNION query could form the basis of the only Append query
required to get the data into the properly designed table.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele
(no e-mails, please!)

0
Douglas
6/4/2007 11:16:09 AM
>I have a table that has 9 immunization dates in each record.  I need to
> capture the most recent date for a report.  All the information I have
> found
> refers to comparing dates between records, not within a single record.

Good design requires a separate record for each immunization, but since
you've already designed it, you can use something like this code from Doug
Steele:

Function MyMax(ParamArray Values()) As Variant
Dim intLoop As Integer
Dim varMax As Variant

    If IsMissing(Values) Then
        MyMax = Null
    Else
        For intLoop = LBound(Values) To UBound(Values)
            If varMax < Values(intLoop) Then
                varMax = Values(intLoop)
            End If
        MyMax = varMax
    End If

End Function

Then use it in a query like:

Select MyMax(Date1, Date2, ... Date9) As LastDate From TableName;
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

0
Arvin
6/4/2007 12:52:05 PM
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in

> Function MyMax(ParamArray Values()) As Variant

Just a naming convention comment:

Since IIf() is Immediate If, for use in standalone expressions,
instead of code, I name my function that does the above iMax(), for
Immediate Max as opposed to the domain aggregate function DMax() or
the summary function Max().

David
6/4/2007 1:46:40 PM
Johanna:

Have you tried the Max() function?

In your query do the following:

1. Bring in the name fields
2. Bring in your immunization date field
3. Go to your VIEW menu, choose TOTALS (You will see a new row appear in
your query grid called TOTAL. It appears right beneath your TABLE row).
4. In your TOTAL row do the following:
    A. Make sure each of your name fields have GROUP BY.
    B. Make sure your immunization field has MAX
5. Now run your query - you should get the LAST date of immunization for
each individual listed.

Hope this helps

Michelle

>I have a table that has 9 immunization dates in each record.  I need to
> capture the most recent date for a report.  All the information I have
> found
> refers to comparing dates between records, not within a single record.

0
Michelle
6/4/2007 2:23:22 PM
That would only work if all of her dates were in a single field (as would be
the case with the UNION query I posted earlier). Since she's got up to 9
different dates on each row, MAX won't help in this situation.

--

"Michelle Meyer" <1stcontact@charter.net> wrote in message
> Johanna:
>
> Have you tried the Max() function?
>
> In your query do the following:
>
> 1. Bring in the name fields
> 2. Bring in your immunization date field
> 3. Go to your VIEW menu, choose TOTALS (You will see a new row appear in
> your query grid called TOTAL. It appears right beneath your TABLE row).
> 4. In your TOTAL row do the following:
>    A. Make sure each of your name fields have GROUP BY.
>    B. Make sure your immunization field has MAX
> 5. Now run your query - you should get the LAST date of immunization for
> each individual listed.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Michelle
>
>>I have a table that has 9 immunization dates in each record.  I need to
>> capture the most recent date for a report.  All the information I have
>> found
>> refers to comparing dates between records, not within a single record.

0
Douglas
6/4/2007 2:43:23 PM
It's Doug's function and his name. I might have named it something like
RowMax which better describes what it does. By the use of that name, I think
that Doug probably wrote it as a generic for later user modification, but
I'm not sure.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"David W. Fenton" <XXXusenet@dfenton.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <a@m.com> wrote in
>
>> Function MyMax(ParamArray Values()) As Variant
>
> Just a naming convention comment:
>
> Since IIf() is Immediate If, for use in standalone expressions,
> instead of code, I name my function that does the above iMax(), for
> Immediate Max as opposed to the domain aggregate function DMax() or
> the summary function Max().
>
> --
> David W. Fenton                  http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com    http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/

0
Arvin

excel template #9
I want to make excel template (like invoice.xlt, village software.xlt, expenses.xlt etc. which are readymade in Excel). Is there any website which will help me learn with easy steps to prepare template files? Pl. guide. -- Knowldege is Power Maybe you can glean some stuff from J.E. McGimpsey: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html Ajit Munj wrote: > > I want to make excel template (like invoice.xlt, village software.xlt, > expenses.xlt > etc. which are readymade in Excel). Is there any website which will help > me learn with easy steps to prepare template...

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Copy contents of cells if cell contains information
I have a column of cells, say A1:A30 in a few different spreadsheets. Some of these spreadsheets contain information within these cells (not formulae, but just typed info) and some don't contain information. Now, in a new spreadsheet, I would like to copy the contents of these cells (columns) if there is information in them. So for example, in spreadsheet 1, i have information, speadsheet 2 i don't, spreadsheet 3 I do, i would like my information to be copied into a new cell as follows:- information 1 information 2 Any advice? Thanks Hi, Test this on sample (or backed-up) work...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

autopopulate date
Hi. I have been searching for hours and haven't found a solution yet... Here's my problem: I have a Spreadsheet that is tracking vehicle fleet oil change information. One of the fields is tracking vehicle mileage at an oil change. What I want to do is automatically populate the next field with the current date if someone types in a value in the oil change column. For example: A B C 1 car mileage date 2 600 12345 03/15/2005 3 601 33333 01/23/2005 When someone types mileage of 12345 into B2 (for car 600), I want C2 to auto popula...

Excel Row to Access Columns

Printing single record
HELP! I am using the following code under the ComandButton to print the current report from my form: Dim strWhere As String If Me.Dirty Then 'Save any edits. Me.Dirty = False End If If Me.NewRecord Then 'Check there is a record to print MsgBox "Select a record to print" Else strWhere = "[Num] = " & Me.[Num] DoCmd.OpenReport "Check Request", acViewNormal, , strWhere End If However, I keep getting the following error: The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced...

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

DATE update, on Save?
The only file, (in Doc Libr), does not have today's date. ? Is there some setting I need to make? ...

Outlook Web Access #19

link to a record on a form
I have created a link from one form to a specific record on another using the following macro; Action: Open Form Where Condition: [ID]=[Forms]![Newspaper Query]![ID] This works perfect until I try to add the first for as a sub form to my home page form. When I click the link it first asks me to 'Enter Parameter Value - Forms!Newspaper Query!ID' If I type in the ID it will take me to the specified record but this is rather messy. Am I missing some code with this being changed into a subform? Bigbump, Not sure if I understand... I think you're saying that when your "...

Accounting with Ms Access

displaying the Day from a date
I have a field on my form that displays a date like 2nd April 2007 is there a way to display the day as well eg Monday 2nd April 2007 Thanks very much SImon Set the Format property of the text box to: Long Date That should show the day and date (depending on how you have Long Date defined in the Windows Control Panel, under Regional Settings.) You can also show the day in another text box with the Format property set to: dddd -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allen...

BP3 Site Settings access

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...