Access as a Front-End

I am wanting to use either MySQL or SQL Server as a back-end to a MS Access
front-end. Furthermore, I need to be able to use this front-end over a
Wireless router.  I know that by default MS Access does not leand itself to
wireless connections but have been told it can be done if changes are made...?

Can someone give me a little guidance on the matter.  Perhaps refer a good
article or site that covers this subject to get me going in the right
direction.

Thank you,

QB
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In the 18 years that I have been working with Access, I have helped clients
fix 8 data corruptions. The first was a machine left on and unplugged, the
second an interrupted phone line during a replication, I have no idea what
the cause of the third was, and the last 5 were on WiFi connections. Do you
see a pattern? If a record is in edit mode, and a connection is interrupted,
there's a chance you will corrupt a database.

If you must use WiFi, or the Internet use a terminal services connection. Do
not believe that mySQL or SQL-Server won't corrupt, they will, and sometimes
much worse than Access. BUT, in the case of SQL-Server, there are redundancy
measures (backup and transaction logs) which make the corruptions easier to
fix. mySQL also has some robustness, but not the level of SQL-Server. A
Terminal Server makes the risk of corruption negligible.

So search for WinConnect, Citrix, MS-Terminal Server,
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"QB" <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am wanting to use either MySQL or SQL Server as a back-end to a MS Access
> front-end. Furthermore, I need to be able to use this front-end over a
> Wireless router.  I know that by default MS Access does not leand itself
> wireless connections but have been told it can be done if changes are
> made...?
>
> Can someone give me a little guidance on the matter.  Perhaps refer a good
> article or site that covers this subject to get me going in the right
> direction.
>
> Thank you,
>
> QB

0
Arvin
6/4/2010 1:51:26 AM
QB;3742142 Wrote:
> I am wanting to use either MySQL or SQL Server as a back-end to a MS
> Access
> front-end. Furthermore, I need to be able to use this front-end over a
> Wireless router.  I know that by default MS Access does not leand itself
> wireless connections but have been told it can be done if changes are
> made...?
>
> Can someone give me a little guidance on the matter.  Perhaps refer a
> good
> article or site that covers this subject to get me going in the right
> direction.
>
> Thank you,
>
> QB

The aim is to fix problems and all concerns as to who makes the hardware
or software. Expect more. IT support Los Angeles and small business
consulting offers premier small business computer consulting and managed
IT services paired with easy access to computer sales and order
management via online computer stores and help centers.

============================
http://www.project-drive.net/

--
sandypeter111
0

In this case, terminal services and CITRIX are both noth an option.

Thank you for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

QB

"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm@mvps.invalid> wrote in

> The first was a machine left on and unplugged, the
> second an interrupted phone line during a replication, I have no
> idea what the cause of the third was, and the last 5 were on WiFi
> connections.

In the replication case, had indirect replication been used instead
of direct, the dropped call would not have corrupted anything at
all.

David
6/4/2010 5:30:31 PM
=?Utf-8?B?UUI=?= <QB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I was lead to believe that the issue with access problem with
> interruption was related to JET and that by 'switching' it could
> be 'fixed' (poor on the terminology I am just looking into the
> matter).  Is this true?  Is there another option rather than JET?
> Or is it just as sensitive to network interuptions?
>
> In this case, terminal services and CITRIX are both noth an
> option.

Well, switching to a server back end *will* protect you from data
corruptions due to dropped WiFi connections.

But Arvin's point is that there is no guarantee of no corruption at
all, even with server-based database engines.

The advantage of a Terminal Server/Citrix solution is that you don't
have to alter your application at all for it to work, whereas
upsizing to a SQL Server or MySQL back end requires a lot of testing
and some degree of revision to work efficiently (substantially more
for a WAN/WiFi connection than it would on a LAN, where it often
requires very little change).

David

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Reading contents CHttpFile file starting from the end of file.
I have a CHttpFile which contains records per day. The records in the file are ordered date descending. I need to have my records with date ascending. So, if I read the file starting with last record back up to first record I'll get my data sorted correctly. There is a huge amount of data, that's why I want to read the data in the correct order instead of reading it, placing in memory and then sorting. I'm using CHttpFile.ReadString to read the contents right now but it read from the top. Is there any way for me search through the contents of the file of a '\n' ...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

autofill won't fill to end of used range
I am writing a macro to be used on a generated report. As part of the macro, I need it to autofill formulas in various columns to the last row of data, which can vary each time the report is generated. The first formula to be filled is in col D. There are NO empty cells in column C (nor A & B for that matter) in the used range (3000+ entries), but when the macro runs it will only fill to row 605! However, when I insert a breakpoint just before the formula autofills and manually double-click the hande to perform an autofill, it works just fine. Needless to say, I don'...

Outlook Web Access #19

Accounting with Ms Access

Printing a two spreadsheets front and back
I have clicked select all sheets and selected two sided copy in print options. It gives me a message that 1 page has been printed, when I hit print, but when I go to the printer, there are two sheets of paper. Each spreadsheet on its own piece of paper. i have done this before, but when I do I print several copies, and months go by before I have to print the two sheets front and back again. Help. hi technically all excel does is send the data. seems to me the problem may be in your printer, not excel. make sure that you are printing to a duplex printer. regards FSt1 ...

BP3 Site Settings access

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class
Hey Friends Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class. vikrant wrote: > Hey Friends > > Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided > CRecordset class. > > Yes. The CATALOG sample in MSDN shows how. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] vikrant, Yes... You can use access the system tables directly, especially using a CRecordset object connected to a Database object that is associated with the database in question and this SQL statement: SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE ( Flags=0) AND (Typ...

Different ways to extract data from Access to Excel
I have been using Access 2003 and 2007 to read and do simple data (not design) repairs to old Jet databases that underlie a legacy proprietary data collection program my company uses. My latest challenge is to automate the extraction of certain data from the tables and put it in an Excel spreadsheet. Each time the extraction is done it would involve finding a certain table, searching for a record that meets the new criteria in a certain field, then moving over to another certain field and extracting the text, number, or date therein. I would really appreciate if anyone could point out ...