Access 2007 sorting problem

Hi,

In a query I want to sort a group of date from a table's date field starting
with 10 December 2006 and ending with 21 November 2007 by using only year
and month parts in different columns. I have following result:

Year______Month--------->(Ascending, Ascending)

2006______12
2007______1
2007______10
2007______11
2007______2
2007______3
2007______4
2007______5
2007______6
2007______7
2007______8
2007______9

Year    : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'yyyy')
Month : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'m')

Why are 10 and 11 (October and november) not in order (at the bottom)?

Thanks alot for any help....

0
Art
11/22/2007 3:03:36 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Art Vandaley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In a query I want to sort a group of date from a table's date field
> starting with 10 December 2006 and ending with 21 November 2007 by
> using only year and month parts in different columns. I have
> following result:
> Year______Month--------->(Ascending, Ascending)
>
> 2006______12
> 2007______1
> 2007______10
> 2007______11
> 2007______2
> 2007______3
> 2007______4
> 2007______5
> 2007______6
> 2007______7
> 2007______8
> 2007______9
>
> Year    : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'yyyy')
> Month : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'m')
>

> Why are 10 and 11 (October and november) not in order (at the bottom)?
>
> Thanks alot for any help....

The format funtion returns a string so the result sorts alphabetically, not
numerically.  Either use...

Month : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'mm')

....so you get leading zeros on single digit months or convert to a number...

Month : CInt(Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'m'))

--
Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP
Email (as appropriate) to...

0
Rick
11/22/2007 3:06:46 PM
"Art Vandaley" <kestafir@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> In a query I want to sort a group of date from a table's date field
> starting with 10 December 2006 and ending with 21 November 2007 by using
> only year and month parts in different columns. I have following result:
>
> Year______Month--------->(Ascending, Ascending)
>
> 2006______12
> 2007______1
> 2007______10
> 2007______11
> 2007______2
> 2007______3
> 2007______4
> 2007______5
> 2007______6
> 2007______7
> 2007______8
> 2007______9
>
> Year    : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'yyyy')
> Month : Format$([TABLE].[DATE];'m')
>

> Why are 10 and 11 (October and november) not in order (at the bottom)?
>
> Thanks alot for any help....

becuase they are stored as text, not dates ?

0
Geoff

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

XPath problem with two xmlns
I have got file raport.rld which is an XML file generated by MS Reporting Services. The problem is: in this file are tags from two different namespaces xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2003/10/reportdefini tion" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner" when I'm trying to use XPATH to get <teble> tag it doesn't work. (the result is empty) I've removed All tegs like <rd:TypeName>System.Int32</rd:TypeName> Now all is working fine but what to do when I have tags from two different...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Outlook Express(6.0) INBOX Problem
I have a problem with M.S Outlook Express where I appear to have ten messages permanantly stuck in my INBOX.No matter how many times I try to access them or do a send/receive they remain "stuck" in there.I think this may have something to do with my McAfee Internet suite(8.0) which I have just had to reinstall.I have tried disabling all elements of Mcafee in case one of these is inhibiting the "release of my O.E INBOX , but still no joy.Do I have to reinstall Outlook EXpress and if so will I lose all my e mails etc.I can in the mean time send and receive E mails as per normal a...

Access

Logic Problem
I have a problem that has taken me many attempt to solve, all fruitless. I have a long list of data and want to insert a reason code based on some criteria. In colounm Q there have been reasons imputed by others. In colounm R2 i would liek a astatement to say "if the value of p2 is between -.04 and . 04and Q2 is blank, return the value 13, otherwise return what is in Q2. but if colounm C2 is blank or has the letters "HPC" i also want to return a 13. PLease help me on this thanks alot -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/20...

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Sorting #13
Is there something that prevents the Sort function from sorting correctly? Example: there is information in columns A, B, and C. I set the sort to first sort by Col. A and then Col. B and then Col. C. Col Col Col A B C 1 A 5 1 A 2 1 A 4 1 A 1 1 A 3 Sometimes the sort will do good for Col. A and B, but will not properly Col. C. If I go and reenter the Col. C data and then sort, it will sort correctly. Any reason for this? ...

Frustrating problem with Windows Media Player
I opened Windows Media Player today and went to minimize it while I did other things, and it informed me that it would revert to it's miniplayer mode (the thing where it moves to the right side of the taskbar and makes a miniature player; not skin mode) and I checked the box that says "don't show me this message again" I don't even know why it was telling me this, since that is what it has until now always done, since I had already gotten that message and ok'd it ages ago. When I clicked "Ok", it did not revert to the miniplayer at all, and now...

Accounting with Ms Access

Printing problems
My computer is running Windows XP with 384MB of RAM, and I am using Publisher 2000. I am printing to a HP color laserjet 5 which HP does not offer any drivers on thier site for this printer and Win XP. The HP driver site for this printer says that the driver was included into Windows XP. The printer is connected using the parallel port. I have cropped a picture of a group of teens and made three pictures out of the one and added some text to create a publicity flier. I accomplish this by inserting the picture and then making 2 copies of it and then I crop each one to make 3 dif...

Memory Problem
Hi While using new and delete operator for eg) for(i=0;i<condition;i++) { nFileSize=GetFileSize; if(nFileSize>=10000) { DWORD size=10000; DWORD dRemaining=nFileSize%size; HANDLE hFile; hFile=::CreateFile (filename,GENERIC_WRITE,FILE_SHARE_WRITE,NULL,CREATE_ALWAYS ,FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL|FILE_FLAG_WRITE_THROUGH,NULL); for(int i=size;i<=nFileSize;i+=10000) { ...