Access 2007 slow in multi-user environment

I have split the Access 2007 application into FE and BE.
FE is on user's desktops (not a shortcut), BE is on the network.  Users are
using XP, not Vista.
Opening the first FE is very fast.
Opening the FE on a second machine takes several seconds, displaying a blank
screen.
Opening the FE on a third machine takes minutes, displaying a blank screen.

I'm not sure why the performance is so poor. I would appreciate any
guidance.
Thanks
Bill

0
BillE
12/14/2007 8:38:42 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

"BillE" <belgie@datamti.com> wrote:

>I have split the Access 2007 application into FE and BE.
>FE is on user's desktops (not a shortcut), BE is on the network.  Users are
>using XP, not Vista.
>Opening the first FE is very fast.
>Opening the FE on a second machine takes several seconds, displaying a blank
>screen.
>Opening the FE on a third machine takes minutes, displaying a blank screen.

The three most common performance problems in Access 2000 or newer
are:
  - LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection or an always
open bound form corrects (multiple users)
  - sub datasheet Name property set to [Auto] should be [None]
  - Track name AutoCorrect should be off

For more information on these, less likely causes, other tips and
links to MS KB articles visit my Access Performance FAQ page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

--
bill

bill <belgie@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thanks!  I implemented all your suggestions (except the decompile, which I
>kept in reserve) and something did the trick.  I didn't have the opportunity
>to test them individually to figure out what did it, but now it hums along
>nicely.

Glad to hear it's working.     The reality is you pretty much need to
do most of those things to get good performance.   So no sense in just
trying to do a few.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony
12/21/2007 12:04:17 AM
I would appreciate it if the list of suggestions for dealing with slowness
in a multiuser environment could be posted again - can't find it through
this posting

Jim Bunton

"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> bill <belgie@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks!  I implemented all your suggestions (except the decompile, which I
>>kept in reserve) and something did the trick.  I didn't have the
>>opportunity
>>to test them individually to figure out what did it, but now it hums along
>>nicely.
>
> Glad to hear it's working.     The reality is you pretty much need to
> do most of those things to get good performance.   So no sense in just
> trying to do a few.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>   Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>   Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>   Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

0
Jim
12/21/2007 10:01:39 PM
"Jim Bunton" <wbbr26814@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I would appreciate it if the list of suggestions for dealing with slowness
>in a multiuser environment could be posted again - can't find it through
>this posting

The three most common performance problems in Access 2000 or newer
are:
  - LDB locking which a persistent recordset connection or an always
open bound form corrects (multiple users)
  - sub datasheet Name property set to [Auto] should be [None]
  - Track name AutoCorrect should be off

If the problem is for everyone when starting up the MDB then it likely
needs a decompile.

For more information on these, less likely causes, other tips and
links to MS KB articles visit my Access Performance FAQ page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/performancefaq.htm

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Including Ship To Address 'User Defined' fields on SOP Invoice.
How do I include the Ship To 'User defined 1 and 2 fields' on an Invoice? The ship to is defined on the customer maintenance card and differs from the Select Address Code for the customer ('PRIMARY' vs. 'SHPTO'). I can retrieve the Ship To Address line 1 thru 3 using the RW_AddressLine1 .... RW_AddressLine3 functions. However I can not determine how to retrieve other data maintained under this Address ID from the Customer Address Table. How do I achieve this? That's because the User Defined fields you are looking for are in the Customer Master Address tab...

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

word 2007 document prints every other line of text.
word 2007 document started printing every other line of type as of yesterday. Document shows okay in print preview, but prints incorrectly. If Print Preview appears OK and you are using an Inkjet printer, I would suspect that you have a problem with the ink nozzles in the printer. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "bh" <bh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2A0B201-CA31-4482-B538-B...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Opening a user form
I am using the following code to open a user form when I open a Word 2003 document. Private Sub Document_New() UserForm1.Show End Sub For some reason I can't get the user form to show. I have this code in a template and I am opening the document from it. I also have it in a private directory (not the template directory). Thanks, Stanley That does not make the userform show on document open. Sub Document_Open() UserForm1.Show End Sub If you have the code (Document_NEW) in the template, then when the template is used to make a NEW document, the userform will displa...

Mocrosoft Outlook 2007
I have had my computer for about 3 months and all of the sudden everytime I reply to an email in Outlook it freezes up the whole program. The only way to unfreeze it is to restart my computer. Any help out there. I have a Dell desktop wtih Vista. Do you have a program called Outlookaddinsetup in Control = Panel->Programs->Uninstall? If yes, uninstall it. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Donovan ask...

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Adding additional users to a client computer
I'm running SBS 2003 R2. I have a number of client computers connected to the server, but each of these has been allocated only one user account. Local reorganisation has led the users to ask if they can be allowed to log into any computer, not just the one they used to. SBS provides a setup computer wizard where you can add a new computer and then add users to it. However this won't work with an existing computer, and I can't find an obvious way of doing this from the server. (I had looked at establishing roaming profiles as a possible way around this, but th...

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

problems with messages FROM GroupWise users
For the past week or so, I have had a couple of users report that some messages they receive are "garbled." Essentially, it appears that the messages are not being decoded properly, and show up as plain text, with all the internet headers in the body of the message and the actual content of the message looking like garbage: ---------------------------------- X-Mailer: Groupwise 6.5 Message-ID: <20070813T075746Z_0D5900080000@dhec.sc.gov> From: "<sender>" <sender's email address> Subject: RE: E-mail test To: "Milbrand, Rachel A." <rmilbrand...

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...