Access 2003, sharing application over a Novell Network

I recently built a simple 12,000 record database (a little over 7 MB) for my
assoicates all over the country via our VPN . It was created in Access 2003,
converted to Access 2000, and runs off a shared drive on a Novell server in
Washintgton DC. The response times have been incredibly slow, upwards of a
minute to query an initial record tied to the primary key. (although it
responds instantly when running off a single stand alone PC)

Does anyone have any tips about how I can make it run quicker or respond
faster over a Novell network via VPN?  It's pretty much dead in the water
now. (I already doubled the default server settings for the file and locks)

Thanks, Tom Welte
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Running an all-Access application over a VPN is an absolutely terrible idea.
The only ways to get acceptable performce will be to *either* convert the
application to use a server database engine such as SQL Server *or* have the
users run it via Terminal Services.

"Tom Welte" <Tom Welte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently built a simple 12,000 record database (a little over 7 MB) for
my
> assoicates all over the country via our VPN . It was created in Access
2003,
> converted to Access 2000, and runs off a shared drive on a Novell server
in
> Washintgton DC. The response times have been incredibly slow, upwards of a
> minute to query an initial record tied to the primary key. (although it
> responds instantly when running off a single stand alone PC)
>
> Does anyone have any tips about how I can make it run quicker or respond
> faster over a Novell network via VPN?  It's pretty much dead in the water
> now. (I already doubled the default server settings for the file and
locks)

> Thanks, Tom Welte

0
Baz
8/2/2007 5:49:01 PM
Tom,

BAZ is correct.  Access over IP doesn't perform well unless in a LAN.
VPN will always be a dog.  You could also try putting the mdb on an
IIS server and writing some ASP scripts or use the Access Data Pages
to access/input the data.

regards,

Todd

On Aug 2, 1:14 pm, Tom Welte <Tom We...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I recently built a simple 12,000 record database (a little over 7 MB) for my
> assoicates all over the country via our VPN . It was created in Access 2003,
> converted to Access 2000, and runs off a shared drive on a Novell server in
> Washintgton DC. The response times have been incredibly slow, upwards of a
> minute to query an initial record tied to the primary key. (although it
> responds instantly when running off a single stand alone PC)
>
> Does anyone have any tips about how I can make it run quicker or respond
> faster over a Novell network via VPN?  It's pretty much dead in the water
> now. (I already doubled the default server settings for the file and locks)
>
> Thanks, Tom Welte

0
Synapsys
8/2/2007 5:54:00 PM
I expain the solusions to running access on a wan here:

http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal//Wan/Wans.html

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert

Exchange 2003 SP2 , IMF & Whitelists
Does anyone who has been testing Exchange 2003 SP2 with IMF know if it includes a feature for Whitelists (email addresses & domains) natively? IMF in SP1 does not. Thank you in advance. Hi, having installed the CTP of Sp2, there doesn't seem to be a whitelist available. You can however create your own XML file, that will increase or decrease the SCL if a word or phrase is listed in the body &/or subject of the mail... Ilse <asoroudi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127777027.821421.246180@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Does anyone who has been testing Exchan...

Error Message when connecting pivot table to Access DB query
Hi, I am getting an error message when attempting to connect a pivot table in Excel 2007 to an Access 2003 query. I have set up several pivot tables in my excel file that connect to this access database (and other databases as well) and refresh properly. However, I can no longer set up any more pivot tables to any access db. The error I get is "Test Connect Fialed because of an error in initializing provider. Unspecified error". Nobody is in these access databases and I can open up a blank excel file and successfully set up pivot tables to these databases. Is any...

Outlook 2003 and HTML Messages
Why is Outlook 2003 so slow when viewing HTML-based messages? I've turned off the Person Names Smart Tag but it's still slow when reading these messages. They weren't this slow in Outlook XP. -Matt ...

Is it possible to batch convert DWG to VSD with Visio 2003 Professional ?
Is it possible to batch convert DWG to VSD with Visio 2003 Professional ? Or is there a program avaliable that will do this? I also have Visio 2000 Technical addition if it can be done with that. I have about 250 DWG files that I need to convert Thanks Rob You should be able to do this using VBA automation within Visio. I wouldn't be surprised if a google search turned up some existing code... Randall Arnold <Rob K> wrote in message news:qsh870p5unf407p7cimu9tg5it3u8cd14d@4ax.com... > > Is it possible to batch convert DWG to VSD with Visio 2003 > Professional ? > ...

allowing only internal network to relay?
We just set up a new Exchange 2003 Sp2 Server, and for some reason, we had a major problem with relaying emails off our server. I want it to only accept mail from our internal network for relaying, since we have some programs and alerts that use this function. How would i make this happen, with no authentication required? Sorry, i just found some info on this NG that i was looking for... Had i just read a little further into some of the posts, i would have found that!! Sorry for the lazy mans approach..... rhalljr wrote: > We just set up a new Exchange 2003 Sp2 Server, and for some...

Some Outlook 2000 clients stop responding when connected on Exchange Server 2003
Hi, Whe recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange server 2003. 95% of the our clients are in Outlook 2000. It works fine for the majority but for some user the Outlook 2000 client stop respondinf when trying to connected on the 2003 server. I tried to recreate the Outlook profile it works but for some users the problem reapears. Any ideas? Thanks in advance Joce On 20 Apr 2006 06:38:52 -0700, "Jocelyn" <thefreefly@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Whe recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange server 2003. 95% of >the our clients are in Outlook 2000. >...

Outlook 2003 Error whenever I open it...
Hi! I installed 2003 as a clean (uninstalled XP) install. I got an error about ODBC data sources during install (I have a separate post about that) but that error does not come up in Outlook. This is the error I get (twice): Microsoft Office Outlook The add-in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Addins\usexchext...." could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu. I tried running Repair but I got the same problem after it finished. Any thoughts??? Denise Is that file name listed in Tools > Options >...

Having Pb openning/saving fax(Tif format) on Outlook 2003 since a Week plz help
Hi All, Since a few days I can't open or save reveived faxes (.tif), I didn't chage anything to my outlook config, before that I could receive fax read and save them wihout any Pb Thank's for your help In news:uezjdMqRHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl, bbnimda <wahhhran-vba@yahoo.fr> typed: > Hi All, > > Since a few days I can't open or save reveived faxes (.tif), I didn't > chage anything to my outlook config, > > before that I could receive fax read and save them wihout any Pb > > > Thank's for your help Hi - I suggest you post in ...

Conversion from Access 97 to 2003 & get a "Conversion Errors" tabl
In Access2003, I'm selecting "Tools/Database Utilities/Convert Database/to Access 2002 - 2003 File Format". I select a Access 97 file and hit the convert button. After creating the new file name and hitting the save button I get a message that Access encountered errors and I should check the "Conversion Errors" table. The Converted tables have the correct number of records, Forms and Report look good and the Queries seen to run correctly. When I open the "Conversion Errors" table I see 2 records with 3 fields. Their fields are "Object Type&q...

Outlook 2003 and Lotus
Is there an Outlook Connector for Outlook 2003, to connect to a IBM Lotus mail server? I know there is one for Outlook 20002, but that doesn't seem to work with Outlook 2003. Thanks. Not yet. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, OmarK. asked: | Is there an Outlook Connector for Outlook 2003, to connect to a IBM | Lotus mail server? I know there is one f...

changing contacts frm global address list to contacts in outlook 2003
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C7197D.17870700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How do I change in outlook 2003 so that the first place when I address a = email it looks at my contacts instead of my global address list. I'm = using the office Microsoft exchange server version. ------=_NextPart_000_0024_01C7197D.17870700 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Trans...

Printin DOS Application in Terminal Server
Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture the printer thaht i've in my session to a port lpt1, someone has any script that can detect the TS default printer, share it and use it as LPT1? -- Saluda Atte. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Pedro C. Arias. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- On 06/04/10 08:47, Pedro C. Arias wrote: > Hello, I'm working with a DOS application in TS, I need to capture > the printer thaht i've in my ...

Running a workbook over a network
I have this huge problem, i'm thinking if i can make a worksheet, a functional one, run over a network wherein it can be accessed by 15 persons all at the same time. Its more of a rating sheet for a beauty pageant so to speak, you have 15 judges working with one worksheet and the numbers will be entered simulataneously thru 15 terminals and the worksheets will be adding all of those figures. Bottomline is, how can i make a worksheet available thru a server to 15 workstations? Is this possible? if so what's the secret i have to know. Excel masters, i need some guidance please!!!! ---...

opening ms access 2000 file question
I share MS Access 2000 over a windows 2003 server.If a MS Access db is opened up by another user the only way I can openit at the same time is by opening the MS acesss program then use the File > Open option.It will let me double click the db file in windows explorer on a network drive but it does nothing. Thanks!"Ricky" <rfidler2004@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:%23qYXCkKcHHA.3648@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...>I share MS Access 2000 over a windows 2003 server.> If a MS Access db is opened up by another user the only way I can open> it at the same time is by openi...

Dual calendar entries for Outlook 2003
I have a user who needs to schedule a meeting in our main conference room. She wants to setup the meeting on the main conf calendar and have the meeting appear on her dept team calendar as well. There are others outside our main office who would check the team calendar and not the main conf one to detemine team meeting activity. Is it ossible to do this? Our admin thought it would work by mail enabling the team calendar and having her send it an invite as an invitee but receives system admin undeliverable replies. He then thougth the calendar would need a mailbox. Now he is...

Outlook 2003 Address Book Issues
Before installing Outlook 2003 over Outlook 2000, the Windows Address Book (%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\wab.exe) and Outlook were unified in the sense that the Outlook contacts and Address Book held the same entries. So opening the Address Book from the start menu and opening it by clicking the icon in the Outlook tool bar displayed exactly the same list. After the installation of Outlook 2003, the described unification went somewhat out of order: 1. The Address Book displayed by clicking the icon in the Outlook tool bar starts up an address book program different from "wab.exe"....

Reinstall 2003 after HDD failure
I have recently suffered a hard disc failure and reinstalled all my data and programs from a backup. Now when I boot up, I get one box that says that Normal dot is being used by another program or person and do I want to save over the original. This is odd because there's no reason why word should be opening on boot up. Also I get another window on boot up that says that Powerpoint failed to start properly. Again why is it trying to start anyway? This message always appears twice even though I untick the box that asks if I want to retry. Why is this happening? You have a...

Importing hotmail contacts into Outlook 2003
I would like to import my online contacts from hotmail into my Outlook 2003, i've already set my Outlook to use my hotmail account for handling hotmail. Is this possible? It's easy to import Outlook contacts into online hotmail. Does it work the other way around? How? Thanks a lot for the answer ! Kind regards, Sjoerd. No, you can't export from Hotmail web mail, only import. "Sjoerd" wrote: > I would like to import my online contacts from hotmail into my Outlook 2003, > i've already set my Outlook to use my hotmail account for handling hotmail. &g...

Migration mailboxses forn 5.5(NT) to 2003
Greetings: Please can any one tell me whate the best way to migrate mailboxses from 5.5 to 2003 NOTE: migration wizard giving me error message On Thu, 26 May 2005 03:17:17 -0700, drabee <drabee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Greetings: >Please can any one tell me whate the best way to migrate mailboxses from 5.5 >to 2003 >NOTE: migration wizard giving me error message It will be giving you a message because you can't go from 5.5 directly to 2003. I'd start at www.microsoft.com/exchange and look at the planning and deployment guides. ...

Outlook Web Access loin page (ASP)
Hello, Can someone give some information about creating a personalised logon page to microsoft exchange 2003 through OWA. I have searched the Internet and found information about it but no howto or something like that. Thx for the help !!! This should help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830827 "Strontje" <Strontje@pandora.be> wrote in message news:Gz6md.6$C%6.5708959@hebe.telenet-ops.be... > Hello, > > Can someone give some information about creating a personalised logon page > to microsoft exchange 2003 through OWA. > I have ...

Sent/deleted mail from Outlook appearing when I access Webmail
Even though I delete all my sent items and empty my deleted items from Outlook every day before leaving the office, if I log onto Webmail later on from home the items still appear in the Sent and Deleted Items folders. Can I stop this from happening? Once an email is deleted, I don't want it back. Are you using exchange server? if you use the option to automatically empty deleted on close, outlook doesn't have a chance to update the server before it closes. Empty deleted items a few minutes before closing outlook. If using imap or pop3 and leave mail on the server, do...

Where has the assistant field in Ex 5.5 gone in Exchange 2003?
Hello, I am strugling to figure out what has happened to the assistant attribute in Ex2k3, when viewing a users mailbox properties within OAB the Assistant field appears. However going into ADUC and viewing the properties of the particular user, I can't see any place where I can change this? When viewing the users mailbox in 5.5 it shows the Assistant object. Any ideas would be great Regards Brendan "Brendan" <Brendan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello, I am strugling to figure out what has happened to the assistant >attribute in Ex2k3, when viewing a ...

How do I hide the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel 2007?
The ribbon takes up so much space I bought a 3rd party program. Now I would like to get rid of the QAT. Thx Get rid of the QAT only? Button>Excel Options>Customize. Uncheck "Show QAT below the ribbon" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 16:20:01 -0800, D7 <D7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >The ribbon takes up so much space I bought a 3rd party program. >Now I would like to get rid of the QAT. >Thx D7 wrote: > The ribbon takes up so much space I bought a 3rd party program. > Now I would like to get rid of the QAT. ...

Font/Stationary via GPO in Outlook 2003
Greetings, We have an Exchange 2003/Server 2003 environment with users running Outlook 2003. The powers that be have directed me to disable users from changing their stationary and font and to mandate a standardized type. I have installed the Outlook 2003 .adm snap-in, but there is nothing under 'mail format' that applies to mandated fonts/stationary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/browse_thread/thread/6cb38b566b535ea8/0b61079badb38b39?lnk=gst&q=disable+stationery+outlook&rnum=1 -- Diane Poremsky [MVP ...

installing CRM client "network path not found"
I got a new Laptop (with a solid state drive for very high performance, which is excellent, but this is an aisde) because this was an easier way to get Windows 7. So clean, virgin Windows 7 installation. When I run the CRM for Outlook configuration Wizard I get the message: “Action Microsoft.Crm.Config.Common.InstallDatabaseAction failed. The network path was not found.” I think this my be happening because my system administrator installed various packages on the laptop including the Dynamics CRM for Outlook with Offline Access, but this leads to a bug when a different Domain user (...