Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard problem!

I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting A2K
Runtime.

However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
for me. I get the following error message,

Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll

Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't even
possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of this
dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed to
that shown above but did not solve my problem.

Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP Pro.

David
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is: have
you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is looking
for this file?

Alp

"David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting
> A2K
> Runtime.
>
> However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
> website.
> The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
> option
> that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> for me. I get the following error message,
>
> Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>
> Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
> even
> possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of
> this
> dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed
> that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>
> Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP
> Pro.
>
> David

0
Alp
9/8/2007 9:25:20 PM
Hi Alp,
I followed the instructions to register the dll, but regsvr32 just gave me
the message "webpost.dll is not an executable file and no registration helper
is registered for this file type."

I've no idea what dll 'registration' means and so this message was not very
helpful for me. Can you offer any clarification?

David

"Alp Bekisoglu" wrote:

> No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is: have
> you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is looking
> for this file?
>
> Alp
>
> "David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> > users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> > fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting
> > A2K
> > Runtime.
> >
> > However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
> > website.
> > The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
> > option
> > that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> > for me. I get the following error message,
> >
> > Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
> >
> > Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> > WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
> > even
> > possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> > Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of
> > this
> > dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed
> > that shown above but did not solve my problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP
> > Pro.
> >
> > David

Hi David,

I'm sorry it didn't work for you. Unfortunately, as I had indicated before,
I'm no guru here so can't say much more. I'll let you know if I come across
anything else.

> Hi Alp,
> I followed the instructions to register the dll, but regsvr32 just gave me
> the message "webpost.dll is not an executable file and no registration
> helper
> is registered for this file type."
>
> I've no idea what dll 'registration' means and so this message was not
> very
> helpful for me. Can you offer any clarification?
>
> David
>

> "Alp Bekisoglu" wrote:
>
>> No expert or guru here, but thr first thing that comes to my mind is:
>> have
>> you registered the dll to your system? and checked where the PDW is
>> looking
>> for this file?
>>
>> Alp
>>
>> "David Anderson" <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute
>> > users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard
>> > does a
>> > fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD,
>> > exploiting
>> > A2K
>> > Runtime.
>> >
>> > However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a
>> > website.
>> > The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment
>> > option
>> > that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't
>> > work
>> > for me. I get the following error message,
>> >
>> > Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>> >
>> > Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
>> > WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't
>> > even
>> > possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
>> > Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source
>> > of
>> > this
>> > dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message
>> > changed
>> > that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows
>> > XP
>> > Pro.
>> >
>> > David

0
Alp
9/9/2007 12:33:48 AM
David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
>The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
>that appears to address this need.

Now I've never noticed that option but is there any help on that?  I
wonder if it is for a completely different option than you think it
is.  For example some kind of Office Web Class (OWC) stuff that Access
had back then.

I suspect you'd be much better off locating a self extracting
executable packager so that users can download one file from your
website which in turn would then expend the package into a temp folder
and then install it.   PKWare have such a utility as a companion to
PKZip.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Browsing PKWare's website is a frustrating experience. It's easy to go in
circles in a fruitless search for what exactly they sell, where you can buy
it and how much it will cost. The bottom line appears to be that they don't
want to sell to end users (at least not outside the USA). To find out any
details you have to send an email! I suspect they are only interested in
corporate sales. In contrast, I was up and running with evaluation versions
of the WinZip products within a few minutes.

David

"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:

> David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
> >The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
> >that appears to address this need.
>
> Now I've never noticed that option but is there any help on that?  I
> wonder if it is for a completely different option than you think it
> is.  For example some kind of Office Web Class (OWC) stuff that Access
> had back then.
>
> I suspect you'd be much better off locating a self extracting
> executable packager so that users can download one file from your
> website which in turn would then expend the package into a temp folder
> and then install it.   PKWare have such a utility as a companion to
> PKZip.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
>    Please respond only in the newsgroups so that others can
> read the entire thread of messages.
>    Microsoft Access Links, Hints, Tips & Accounting Systems at
> http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
>    Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/

My guess is that you could:
a) use PDW to create the package,
b) then locate the package in your website.
c) provide the link to this package to your users in an email.

Users can then click the link and start the installation.

HTH
Bubbles

On Sep 9, 5:04 am, David Anderson
<DavidAnder...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have created an Access 2000 application that I now wish to distribute to
> users as an MDE file. The Access 2000 Package and Deployment Wizard does a
> fine job of  storing the relevant installation files on a CD, exploiting A2K
> Runtime.
>
> However, I would prefer to let users download my application from a website.
> The Package and Deployment Wizard offers a 'Web Publishing' deployment option
> that appears to address this need. My only problem is that it doesn't work
> for me. I get the following error message,
>
> Unexpected error number 48 has occurred: File not found: WebPost.dll
>
> Initially, I got a different error that alerted me to the need for
> WebPost.dll and suggested that I reinstall Visual Basic. Since I don't even
> possess Visual Basic as a standalone application (I only have VBA via
> Access), this was rather unhelpful. However, I found an online source of this
> dll and placed it in my Windows/System32 folder. The error message changed to
> that shown above but did not solve my problem.
>
> Any suggestions about where I should go from here? I'm running Windows XP Pro.
>
> David

0
bubbles
9/9/2007 8:21:24 PM
David Anderson <DavidAnderson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Browsing PKWare's website is a frustrating experience. It's easy to go in
>circles in a fruitless search for what exactly they sell, where you can buy
>it and how much it will cost. The bottom line appears to be that they don't
>want to sell to end users (at least not outside the USA). To find out any
>details you have to send an email! I suspect they are only interested in
>corporate sales. In contrast, I was up and running with evaluation versions
>of the WinZip products within a few minutes.

Yowzer.  I had no idea.  I purchased PK Zip and the SEA product about
5 or 7 years ago.  I'm sure the web site was much simpler back then.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony

Restricting access to note attachments

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Hyper Link in Outlook 2000
We are using Microsoft Outlook 2000 as Mail Clients. If I sent an Excel file as hyperlink (Internally)and when the Recipient click on the hyperlink, the excel file opens in Internet Explorer. Is there any configuration that when the recipient click on the link it opens in excel? Thanks in advance Diwakar ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

XPath problem with two xmlns
I have got file raport.rld which is an XML file generated by MS Reporting Services. The problem is: in this file are tags from two different namespaces xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2003/10/reportdefini tion" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner" when I'm trying to use XPATH to get <teble> tag it doesn't work. (the result is empty) I've removed All tegs like <rd:TypeName>System.Int32</rd:TypeName> Now all is working fine but what to do when I have tags from two different...

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Having problem Installing Exchange Router
When Installing I keep getting this error: Setup was unable to install the Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router. This installation is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator (80070659) I log on as adiminstrator account with local and domain access. I have tried reinstalling Windows installer and Script Host. Please help Make sure the user you are using to install is the same CRM admin user name you used to Install the MS CRM. I hope this works. "Thomas" wrote: > When Installing I keep getting this error: > Setup was unable to install the Mic...

Inserting picture from file in Publisher 2000
I installed a trial Pub 2007 and when it ran its course I uninstalled it and reinstalled Publisher 2000. Since doing this I cannot insert a picture other than clipart, ie. I can't insert a picture from my files or internet. I get a message saying Pub doesn't recognise the format or there was an error loading a graphic converter. Some of the graphics converters may be missing. Run setup again. Well I've tried the 'repair' from setup again but still no joy. Can anybody help? I'm not too good with these problems so can you keep it simple for me? -- Ruth The graph...

Excel Row to Access Columns

Outlook Express(6.0) INBOX Problem
I have a problem with M.S Outlook Express where I appear to have ten messages permanantly stuck in my INBOX.No matter how many times I try to access them or do a send/receive they remain "stuck" in there.I think this may have something to do with my McAfee Internet suite(8.0) which I have just had to reinstall.I have tried disabling all elements of Mcafee in case one of these is inhibiting the "release of my O.E INBOX , but still no joy.Do I have to reinstall Outlook EXpress and if so will I lose all my e mails etc.I can in the mean time send and receive E mails as per normal a...

Access

Moving contacts to Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server
Does anyone know an easy way to move my smtp addresses from CCmail 8.2 address book (about 400 of them) over to contacts in Active directory. I am running Windows 2000 Server and Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server. Cheers Crazy cc:Mail's export command with the /DIRECTORY switch can export them in an quasi - ldif format which could be massaged and used with ldifde to import. cc:Mail's Import/Export users guide will help on the export start with 237677 Using LDIFDE to import and export directory objects to Active Directory http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;...

Logic Problem
I have a problem that has taken me many attempt to solve, all fruitless. I have a long list of data and want to insert a reason code based on some criteria. In colounm Q there have been reasons imputed by others. In colounm R2 i would liek a astatement to say "if the value of p2 is between -.04 and . 04and Q2 is blank, return the value 13, otherwise return what is in Q2. but if colounm C2 is blank or has the letters "HPC" i also want to return a 13. PLease help me on this thanks alot -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-excel/20...

mspub 2000
When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- installed the product and also I have installed the latest service packs (sp3) Can any help please it driving me nuts. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from dave <wi@eatonbank.cheshire.sch.uk>... > When I create a blank publication ansd then go to tools - > options mspun causes an error and has to close, and a log > is created by drwatson. I have uninstalled and re- > i...

access mail on WEB

Import Wizard Error
We're trying to import leads from a tradeshow into MSCRM 1.2. I utilize the Import Wizard, find the source .csv, map the fields (and ensure none of them are blank), and press import. I receive the error: "A system error occurred while the data was being imported. The Import Wizard will now close." Any help would be greatly appreciated! Kind Regards, Anthony Uliano President/CTO AMC Technology, L.L.C. Anthony.Uliano@amctechnology.com is your crm web server running on a port other than port 80 ? -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Anth...

access or mount mirrored hard disks

how to change default comment format in excel (2000)
I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do it each time I enter a comment. Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to change the Font size at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Default And she has a macro that can do more: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Formatted superiorparties wrote: > > I want to change the default font for comments. I know how to do this each > individual time but want to make the change permanent so I don't have to do >...

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Access Database In Great Plains

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Bank reconciliation Problem #2
Is there possible way that can we stop the duplication of numbers in Bank transfer window. According to our technical staff in Microsoft they say” You may use duplicate check numbers, and the system will not consider this an error. The only area where you can control this is for Payables Management, and this is through unmarking the option in the Checkbook Maintenance window for duplicate check numbers. However this is only for the Payables Module and does not affect checks entered in Bank Transaction Entry window" Meaning first of all you can one do illogical business of Checks in...

Outlook 2000 asking for logon...?? #2
One of our laptops (Win2k Prof) with Outlook 2000 -- after I reformatted & set up (I believe) exactly like another laptop... now asks for "name, domain name & password." The other one just opens right up. Also, once you put the info in, it takes a VERY long time to finally open. Anyone know how to change this? Thanks, Sherry ...

Outlook Web Access #19