A query to output custom text?

Hi all, is there any way I can setup a query to output custom text?

eg.
col. 1 output field name
col. 2 output field age
col. 3 output "New Student"

"New Student" is the custom text I would like to generate everytime. I know
I can make a field with "New Student" filled for all records, but it looks
redundancy to me.

Thanks in advance!

0
Nature
9/14/2007 3:38:42 PM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Hey Nature, not sure exactly if this is what you want. But if you go to the
text box that you want "New Student" to show up... just go to the properties
of the text box and under control source type

="New Student"

It will show up every time.

"Nature" wrote:

> Hi all, is there any way I can setup a query to output custom text?
>
> eg.
> col. 1 output field name
> col. 2 output field age
> col. 3 output "New Student"
>
> "New Student" is the custom text I would like to generate everytime. I know
> I can make a field with "New Student" filled for all records, but it looks
> redundancy to me.
>
> Thanks in advance!

If this will display in a form or report, I'd leave the control unbound and
use a conditional to decide if it's a New Student, or not. If you are using
it in a query for another reason, just add a column name (alias) and New
Student, like:

Col3: "New Student"
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Nature" <abc@abc.net> wrote in message
> Hi all, is there any way I can setup a query to output custom text?
>
> eg.
> col. 1 output field name
> col. 2 output field age
> col. 3 output "New Student"
>
> "New Student" is the custom text I would like to generate everytime. I
> know I can make a field with "New Student" filled for all records, but it
> looks redundancy to me.
>
> Thanks in advance!

0
Arvin

Erratic results from query criteria

Customer Tax Exempt
I was talking with Michael about how We can have a customer Tax Exempt on the invoice. I was entering the information in the field of last name in Customer Profile so it would print on the invoice and be viewed on the Global Customer Data base so any store could verify without calling to verify. His concern it might not be able to be filtered out once we run a customer Profile Print out. We do have a line when We are adding a New Customer below the account number line that indicates Customer Tax, is this capable of being printed on the invoice and can it also be made to be viewed when l...

Timer for Queries?

Update Query ?

design query match anywhere?
In the design query I want to match the letters "ABC" anywhere in the column 'description'. I could not get instr to work by using: InStr(description, "ABC")) > 0 How else can I match ABC (upper and lowercase) to anywhere in my 'description' column? Thanks! Are you saying you put that InStr bit as a criteria under your Description field in the query designer? Try putting Like "*ABC*" as the criteria instead. Alternatively, you could add a computed field to the query InStr([Description, "ABC") and then put >0 as the ...

I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It seems to be when I have certain custom fields included in my view that the query errors out. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. Just wanted to add that I seem to get errors when there is a 0.00 amount in these fields... "TJ" wrote: > I am getting a message that says "Unexpected Error An Error has occurred" > when I am running an advanced find query on two custom entities. It se...

pass through query

In Publisher, how do I get background text to print gray?
I'm trying to print a pamphlet on a black and white HP1200Laserjet printer. I colored the background text gray and the foreground text black, so it overprints. Both texts print black, even though the line I placed below it prints gray. I've tried changing all the commercial printer settings, using different colors and it always comes out black. When I print it on the color inkjet printer, it comes out gray. How can I get it to print gray on the laser printer? ...

Converting text to numbers
I'm running Excel 2000 ... After opening a text file with the Text Import Wizard, I hav successfully segregated a column of numbers into one column. Only on problem, the NEGATIVE SIGN (for negative numbers in the text file) i positioned in front of the number, rather than at the end. When th file import is complete, the negative numbers show up as text, and ar not included in the column totals. I believe that this is controlled by the Region Settings in the Contro Panel ... and if I changed the "Negative Number Format" option fro "1-" to "-1" ... then I woul...

a count field in a query?

Saving Username and Pass with Web Queries
I am pulling data from a website that requires you to provide a usernam and password everytime you visit the site. Excel has cachin capabilities, but everytime you close excel and try and open up th spreadsheet again, it can't login. What is the fix for this? Thanks, Hend -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Bump! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Birthday query for many children in one record
I have a database for the church, it has one main flat table only. Each record for the parents have field for child1 name, child1birthday, child2 name, child2birthday, child3 name, child3birthday - up to 5 children. I am having difficulty trying to get a report to list the birthdays of the children like this parent name, child 1 name, child 1 birthday month etc. so you get something like this:- Parent John Smith, child Mary Smith January 3 Parent Fred Jones, child Bert Jones March 4 Parent John Smith, child Jane Smith March 6 Parent Harry Brown, child Jane Brown March 6 Parent Bert Taylor,...

Comparing text strings in cells
A cell contains a number of text strings which form sentences. Text from another source is pasted into another cell via the edit bar, it may be exactly the same or not. The question is, is it possible for excel to highlight where any differences occur between to contents of the cells - the pasted in text would be highlighted perhaps? -- Thank you very much for your advice Best Wishes Andy ...

Unresponsive Query Wizard
Hi there, I have an Excel 2003 user who is using a spreadsheet that pulls data from our SQL server. When he opens it and refreshes the data it is fine, it pulls the current data, but when he tries to edit the query, the Query Wizard does not appear, he can see it on the task bar, but when he switches focus using task manager everything is greyed out and nothing works. I have tested the file from my computer and it is fine, which suggests a problem with his machine or installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Cheers, Steve Dooza wrote: > Hi there, > I have an Excel 2003 user who...

Another simple query
Dear all, I have a table that contains first names and last names in different fields. Is there any way to write a query that will give as a result the first name and last name in the same field? I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance! SELECT [last_name_field] & ", " & [first_name_field] AS whole_name FROM [your_name_table] Change the field and table names to whatever your actual fields and tables are. Cheers, Jason Lepack On Apr 23, 9:47 am, Homer <peter.a.r...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a table that contains first names an...

Query query
I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest way to do this? -- Joe NewFieldName: [Charge Time] + [Charge Time 2] + [Charge Time 3] .... etc -- Good Luck BS"D "joet5402" wrote: > I am trying to create a new field in which it shows the sum total of 10 > fields (Charge Time, Charge Time 2, Charge Time 3, etc.); what is the easiest > way to do this? > -- > Joe I tried this, and it doesn't work. Is there something I'm forgetting? -- Joe ...

revised replacement text
Hi, In my "Book1.xls" I have a column A that has 4 rows of the following text in them - C:\Documents\Symantec\img1.jpg C:\Documents\Symantec\img2.jpg C:\Documents\Symantec\img3.jpg C:\Documents\Symantec\img4.jpg I want to replace this text with D:\Hold\Folders in all 4 rows of Column A such that the results are: D:\Hold\Folders\img1.jpg D:\Hold\Folders\img2.jpg D:\Hold\Folders\img2.jpg D:\Hold\Folders\img2.jpg I know I need a do loop, but I am not sure how to write the symnatecs. Same as before... How about just select that column and do Edit|Replace? If you need a macro...

group by query trouble
I'm trying to run a query that counts the number of people with hemoglobin of type SS, type SC, and then all others. There are about 12 different kinds of types. Basically I want a count for SS, a count for SC, and then a count that totals all the others into one count. Hopefully that makes sense. I'm using group by for the SS and SC which works great, but I'm not sure how to tell it to add up the others. I'm not a big fan of nested IIf statements, but this should work after you put in the proper field and table names: SELECT IIf([Hemoglobin]="SC","SC&...

To Query or not to Query??
Hello all - I'm a newbe to Access but have made great progress. I'm using Acess 2003. The db is up and running prefectly. Now I need to tackle the reporting. I have seen posts about reports and queries and am a little confused. Do I need to create a query to run my reports off of? I have a tabbed subform in the main form. There are seven tabs breaking up all the services we provide. Like "Promo Items", "Leads", "Client Printed Material","Internal Print Material" and so on. The main form has the User, Branch and Marketing Rep. I need to...

How can I embed a font in an Excel text box?

Use VBA to update custom field on Collection Main screen
I've modified the Collection Management main screen by adding a field to display the e-mail address linked to the AP address ID. The code to update that field fires after the user tabs away from the customer ID field. However, if the user wants to use the VCR buttons at the bottom of the screen, they have to click twice to go to the next record. When they do that, the field doesn't update itself. I know I am probably being dumb, but am having a huge mental block on how to get that field to update itself when the user advances to another record on the screen. Any assistance is appr...

Dynamic Query
Hi! I am trying to dynamically modify my pass-through query containing a procedure call with 2 parameters. When I run my access app, I get this error: "Object or provider is not capable of performing reuqested operation." Below is my access code: Dim varItem As Variant Dim strSQL As String Dim cat As ADOX.Catalog Dim cmd As ADODB.Command Dim strMyDate As String, dtMyDate As Date dtMyDate = CDate([Forms]![ySalesHistory]![Start Date]) strMyDate = Format(dtMyDate, "yyyymmdd") strSQL = "procCustomerSalesandPayments '" & s...

Linking tables in a query
I have a database that contains information on a certain number of individuals during different session. Table 1 'tbl_Tracking_Form1' has information on sessions 2,4 and 6. Table 2 'tbl_Tracking_Form2' has information on sessions 1,3 and 5. Table 3 'tbl_General_Info' has demographic information on all the individuals (those who will eventually attentd sessions 1,2,3,5,5 and 6). I need to create two reports. One (Report1) should display all the information on the individuals during session 2, 4 and 6 and another(Report2) that displays all the information on the i...

Query in Access 2007
I have linked via ODBC tables from another database. I have created a query to pull in two columns of information from the two tables in the query. I would like to add an extra column that is only created when the query is run, to dynamically number each row incrementally, depending on how many rows the query returns. If it returns 10 rows, then the first column should be numbered 1 to 10, if it returns 357 rows, then the rows should automatically incrementally number each from from 1 to 357. Try this but substitute your table and field names. Prim is your primary key. This can o...

I want Excel to allow cells with formulas and unrelated text
Recently, while trying to create a calendar in Excel (I realize that there are better ways), I was using a formula to get the calendar to display the date. I would type in the first few dates (at least 7) and then I typed =([Cell#] + 7) from there I would copy and paste that, and it would work for the rest of the month. However, I realized my error when I actually tried to insert text, such as events and things to do, in the same cells. What I would like is for Excel to allow cells to have both formulas and text as well in the same cell. That way, I could have my date and eat it too...