"Your network access was interrupted."

We've been running an Access FE/BE with the backend in a shared location on
the server for quite some time.  Most of the PCs running the program are
working fine.

There are three PCs, however, that get a message:  "Your network access was
interrupted.  To continue close the database and then open it again."

The only difference between these three PCs and the rest that are operating
normally is the OS.  Two are running Windows 7 64, and one is running Windows
Vista 64.  All the other PCs are using XP 32 or 64.  This seems to rule out
any network issues.

This problem also usually only crops up after hours.  One workstation
(Windows 7) is being used all the time, so they will experience problems
anywhere from 7 PM to 4 AM.  The other two computers (Windows 7 and Windows
Vista) are admin computers that only receive the error if there are queries
open overnight.  However it doesn't happen at a consistent time or day of the
week.

Once the message comes up, all the connections in the current database have
to be closed before things will begin operating normally.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  And if so, is there a way to fix
this?
access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I would guess that something is happening on the server that interrupts the
connection- especially in view of the fact this problem seems to crop up
during the off hours.

Is it possible that there are automatic backups set (or other processes) that
"Turn off" the network for a brief period of time?

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

John Glassco wrote:
> We've been running an Access FE/BE with the backend in a shared location on
> the server for quite some time.  Most of the PCs running the program are
> working fine.
>
> There are three PCs, however, that get a message:  "Your network access was
> interrupted.  To continue close the database and then open it again."
>
> The only difference between these three PCs and the rest that are operating
> normally is the OS.  Two are running Windows 7 64, and one is running Windows
> Vista 64.  All the other PCs are using XP 32 or 64.  This seems to rule out
> any network issues.
>
> This problem also usually only crops up after hours.  One workstation
> (Windows 7) is being used all the time, so they will experience problems
> anywhere from 7 PM to 4 AM.  The other two computers (Windows 7 and Windows
> Vista) are admin computers that only receive the error if there are queries
> open overnight.  However it doesn't happen at a consistent time or day of the
> week.
>
> Once the message comes up, all the connections in the current database have
> to be closed before things will begin operating normally.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  And if so, is there a way to fix
> this?
0
John
4/5/2010 7:03:08 PM
I don't think that's it.  As I mentioned, the interruptions aren't
consistent.  They also don't match up to the times of any of our automated
processes.

In addition, there are three XP PCs that are being used at the same time as
the Win7 workstation that have no problems at all.  The three XP PCs and the
Win7 PC all use the same functionality on the same screen in the Access
program, but the Win7 PC is the only one that ever has issues.

"John Spencer" <spencer@chpdm.edu> wrote in message
>I would guess that something is happening on the server that interrupts the
>connection- especially in view of the fact this problem seems to crop up
>during the off hours.
>
> Is it possible that there are automatic backups set (or other processes)
> that "Turn off" the network for a brief period of time?
>
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
> The Hilltop Institute
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>
> John Glassco wrote:
>> We've been running an Access FE/BE with the backend in a shared location
>> on the server for quite some time.  Most of the PCs running the program
>> are working fine.
>>
>> There are three PCs, however, that get a message:  "Your network access
>> was interrupted.  To continue close the database and then open it again."
>>
>> The only difference between these three PCs and the rest that are
>> operating normally is the OS.  Two are running Windows 7 64, and one is
>> running Windows Vista 64.  All the other PCs are using XP 32 or 64.  This
>> seems to rule out any network issues.
>>
>> This problem also usually only crops up after hours.  One workstation
>> (Windows 7) is being used all the time, so they will experience problems
>> anywhere from 7 PM to 4 AM.  The other two computers (Windows 7 and
>> Windows Vista) are admin computers that only receive the error if there
>> are queries open overnight.  However it doesn't happen at a consistent
>> time or day of the week.
>>
>> Once the message comes up, all the connections in the current database
>> have to be closed before things will begin operating normally.
>>
>> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  And if so, is there a way to
>> fix this?

0
Mrs
4/5/2010 9:39:01 PM
I don't know for sure, but it could be that the default behavior for keeping
a workstation-server session open changed between Windows XP and Win 7. I
seem to remember something about network sessions timing out after 15
minutes of being idle. Other than searching the web for info, which I didn't
find easily, all I can think of is to capture network packets and see what
closes the network session.

You could also check that all service packs and Microsoft Updates are
applied to the server, workstations and Office. Check for the latest network
interface drivers. What OS is the server running? If it's Server 2003, you
might want to disable the advanced networking features. You can find more
info about that by searching "netsh int tcp set global", which is the
command to disable some of those features. These are network optimizations
that can interfere with performance and/or connectivity if both sides of the
connection, and any networking gear in between, does not have fairly current
drivers.

"John Glassco" <JohnGlassco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I don't think that's it.  As I mentioned, the interruptions aren't
> consistent.  They also don't match up to the times of any of our automated
> processes.
>
> In addition, there are three XP PCs that are being used at the same time
> as
> the Win7 workstation that have no problems at all.  The three XP PCs and
> the
> Win7 PC all use the same functionality on the same screen in the Access
> program, but the Win7 PC is the only one that ever has issues.
>
> "John Spencer" wrote:
>
>> I would guess that something is happening on the server that interrupts
>> the
>> connection- especially in view of the fact this problem seems to crop up
>> during the off hours.
>>
>> Is it possible that there are automatic backups set (or other processes)
>> that
>> "Turn off" the network for a brief period of time?
>>
>> John Spencer
>> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
>> The Hilltop Institute
>> University of Maryland Baltimore County
>>
>> John Glassco wrote:
>> > We've been running an Access FE/BE with the backend in a shared
>> > location on
>> > the server for quite some time.  Most of the PCs running the program
>> > are
>> > working fine.
>> >
>> > There are three PCs, however, that get a message:  "Your network access
>> > was
>> > interrupted.  To continue close the database and then open it again."
>> >
>> > The only difference between these three PCs and the rest that are
>> > operating
>> > normally is the OS.  Two are running Windows 7 64, and one is running
>> > Windows
>> > Vista 64.  All the other PCs are using XP 32 or 64.  This seems to rule
>> > out
>> > any network issues.
>> >
>> > This problem also usually only crops up after hours.  One workstation
>> > (Windows 7) is being used all the time, so they will experience
>> > problems
>> > anywhere from 7 PM to 4 AM.  The other two computers (Windows 7 and
>> > Windows
>> > Vista) are admin computers that only receive the error if there are
>> > queries
>> > open overnight.  However it doesn't happen at a consistent time or day
>> > of the
>> > week.
>> >
>> > Once the message comes up, all the connections in the current database
>> > have
>> > to be closed before things will begin operating normally.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else encountered this problem?  And if so, is there a way to
>> > fix
>> > this?

0
Paul
4/5/2010 10:17:14 PM
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBHbGFzc2Nv?= <JohnGlassco@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:4A1BBB6D-FAE6-4693-9D2C-930E7B5B8CCA@microsoft.com:

> In addition, there are three XP PCs that are being used at the
> same time as the Win7 workstation that have no problems at all.
> The three XP PCs and the Win7 PC all use the same functionality on
> the same screen in the Access program, but the Win7 PC is the only
> one that ever has issues.

The fact that Vista and Win7 PCs have the problem and XP systems do
not indicates to me that it's something to do with that new feature
of the networking introduced in Vista that I forget what it was
called. Whatever it is, it can be disabled and then it will work.

You don't say what Windows version the server is, though, so it's
hard to diagnose anything beyond that. My memory of the issue I'm
referring to was that it was in peer-to-peer networking
environments.

David
4/6/2010 12:18:44 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize that I forgot that in my original post.  The server
is running Windows Server 2008 Standard.

wrote in news:D64A9DB1-80B8-41FE-B39C-DA17770A1D98@microsoft.com:

> Sorry, I didn't realize that I forgot that in my original post.
> The server is running Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Yes, that does make a difference, as I believe 2008 Server has the
same networking settings as Vista/Win7, i.e., whatever it was that
was causing issues when Vista was released.

Sorry to be so foggy on that, but I can't locate the details. Allen
Browne may have it on his website.

David
4/7/2010 1:30:31 AM
Going by your suggestions, I was able to find something similar to what Paul
Shapiro mentioned above, with disabling the auto-tuning feature.  I'll try
that and see if that improves connectivity tonight.

"John Glassco" wrote:

> We've been running an Access FE/BE with the backend in a shared location on
> the server for quite some time.  Most of the PCs running the program are
> working fine.
>
> There are three PCs, however, that get a message:  "Your network access was
> interrupted.  To continue close the database and then open it again."

Did you ever resolve this? I have a similar situation: SBS 2008, Access 2007
on Windows 7 64bit PCs, with front end on the PCs and backend on the server.
I get the error message several times a day if a second PC on the network has
the front end open but hardly at all if only my PC is using it. When the
message appears, all open front ends (I may have more than one database open
at a time) are affected so it doesn't seem to be peculiar to a single FE/BE
relationship
Not in 2007.

My databases are on a server and are often master copies of those underlying
websites I manage so they have to be in 2003 format anyway.

As far as I am aware, the problem seems to manifest itself when using the
2007 front end either across the network either from a local file (trying to
link tables for example) or remotely.

--

Neil

Neilm