#Error error corrupts records in a table

Hi,

I have a database in MS Access 97 which has a form consisting mainly
of "Memo" fields. It is accessed by a number of people. Every now and
then, if the database is left open or sometimes upon closing it and
reopening it, it corrupts some of the fields on the form and displays
#Error in the field instead of the actual text.

You can then no longer edit any field on the form nor can you edit any
field from the back-end in the table linked to the form. You cannot
even copy the record directly from the table and paste it back in
after removing the #Error message.

As a result, you have to copy each field manually to MS Excel - delete
the #Error message and paste it back into the table. The previous
record is corrupted and hence has to be deleted. Is there any way
round this problem i.e how to make sure we don't get this #Error
message as trying to resolve it by copying to Excel etc. is quite a
tedious task.

Thanks !!
0
Suyash
2/5/2008 10:56:13 AM
access 16762 articles. 3 followers. Follow

Once corruptions has occurred your recovery options may be limited.

The best approach is to do all that you can to reduce the possibility
of errors.

1.  Is your application split into Back End (just the tables) and
Front End (everything except the tables)?  If not, it should be.
2.  Is there a separate copy of the Front End on each User's machine?
There should be.
3.  Once the above is true, your most common cause of corruption is
network issues.  One very common cause of network problems is faulty
Network Interface Cards.

HTH
--
-Larry-
--

"Suyash" <suyash.nathani@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a database in MS Access 97 which has a form consisting mainly
> of "Memo" fields. It is accessed by a number of people. Every now
and
> then, if the database is left open or sometimes upon closing it and
> reopening it, it corrupts some of the fields on the form and
displays
> #Error in the field instead of the actual text.
>
> You can then no longer edit any field on the form nor can you edit
any
> field from the back-end in the table linked to the form. You cannot
> even copy the record directly from the table and paste it back in
> after removing the #Error message.
>
> As a result, you have to copy each field manually to MS Excel -
delete
> the #Error message and paste it back into the table. The previous
> record is corrupted and hence has to be deleted. Is there any way
> round this problem i.e how to make sure we don't get this #Error
> message as trying to resolve it by copying to Excel etc. is quite a
> tedious task.
>
> Thanks !!

0
Larry
2/5/2008 5:57:46 PM
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply !!

Yes, the database is split into front-ends and back-ends with the
front-end containing forms, reports, queries and Linked tables to the
back-end.

Also, we have ensured that each user has a separate front-end as when
he double-clicks to open the database, it copies it from the network
onto his local C:\.

However, in spite of this, whenever the #Error occurs in any field, it
entirely locks up the database - Cannot click on any button on the
front end, cannot edit any field & it pops with an error message
saying something like "Microsoft jet engine cannot make any changes as
it is locked by another user". I am sorry I do not have the entire
message as I have only experienced this once I guess. However, I
support it and this is what I have been told.

Does this shed any more light at all ? Would it be posing a problem if
more than one person is looking at the form at the same time.. I
realise the front-ends are local, but they are still accessing the
back end (the table in the data file which is on the network) at the
same time, aren't they !

Thanks!!

Suyash

0
Suyash
2/6/2008 11:50:35 AM
If the users each have their own copy of the front end then they're
never looking at the same form, just their copy. However, the way
you've described it is ambiguous - maybe everyone is opening a single
copy which resides on the server???  The answer is to be found in
where the shortcut/icon on their desktop points.

Yes, the corruption is occurring in the BackEnd, which is common to
everyone.  That's why it's so important to prevent problems from
occurring in the first place.

Good luck isolating the problem.

--
-Larry-
--

> Hi Larry,
>
> Thanks for your reply !!
>
> Yes, the database is split into front-ends and back-ends with the
> front-end containing forms, reports, queries and Linked tables to
the
> back-end.
>
> Also, we have ensured that each user has a separate front-end as
when
> he double-clicks to open the database, it copies it from the network
> onto his local C:\.
>
> However, in spite of this, whenever the #Error occurs in any field,
it
> entirely locks up the database - Cannot click on any button on the
> front end, cannot edit any field & it pops with an error message
> saying something like "Microsoft jet engine cannot make any changes
as
> it is locked by another user". I am sorry I do not have the entire
> message as I have only experienced this once I guess. However, I
> support it and this is what I have been told.
>
> Does this shed any more light at all ? Would it be posing a problem
if
> more than one person is looking at the form at the same time.. I
> realise the front-ends are local, but they are still accessing the
> back end (the table in the data file which is on the network) at the
> same time, aren't they !
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Suyash

0
Larry

Excel Progrom Error

Sharebuilder account import error

DPM2010 RC Errors on secondary server.

ERROR

error, chkdsk

How to carry over date value from one record to the next.
I have searched this site and the internet in search of an answer to this problem but none of the solutions I've found have seemed to help. I have a form that is used for data entry. The first two text boxes are called Supervisor and W/E Date. These two values will remain the same for several dozen entries. I have tried just using CTRL + ' to repeat the data but that is getting quite time consuming as well. How do I automatically carry over the value to the next record once I input the first data in? Any help on this would be much appreciated. -- Message posted via AccessMo...

4.4.7 error

error 0x800CCC0F

delete server...routing master error

Excel error codes translations

Re: Money 2004

Technical error

CObject Private method access error

Error in closing Outlook

Typing message error

Set character specificiations for field in a table
Hello, I am working in a table in MS Access 2003 and one of my fields is store number. Stores are either a 3- or a 4-digit number (ex. 111, 1234). I have the data type set as text, but I can change it to number if it needs to be. Is there a way that I can set the field properties for the store number field so that the store number will always appear as a 4-digit number and if the store has only 3-digits it has a leading zero? Basically, if it is 4-digits already it will appear as is (ex. 1234), but if it is only 3-digits it will look like this: 0111. Any help you can prov...

Receive an error message when you try to perform any editing tasks
Hi We have exch2003 cluster and recently we have some note book with Vista, now when we are accessing mailbox through OWA we are getting error when we want to edit (reply, forward) there is article from MS, we want to know does this article also apply to exch clsuter or it is for member server. The artical is http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911829 Nagori Not sure what you mean by either exch cluster or member server, but basically you will need to install this patch on your FE and BE exchange servers, including your exch cluster servers. To install exch hotfixes or patches, move...

probably a simple table problem
Hi there. Ok, I have a table with 5 columns which I keep the data in. On another sheet I want a table which arranges the data from that tabl in ascending order, and throws out the values which have a 0 in it. Here's an example Barn - 1 - 0 - 1 - 2 farm - 0 - 2 - 1 - 0 firm - 2 - 1 - 0 - 0 A drop-down list picks if you arrange the data depending on column 2 3, 4 or 5. Column 1 is never listed as a choice (of course, as it' just the name for the thing). Let's say we pick column 1, then the table I want puts firm at the top then barn, and doesn't show farm. How can I do th...

PM Transaction continuing error message #2
We are currently running GP 10 SP1 and apparently since version 8 (we did not upgrade to 9) there has been the following error message while launching a transaction out of Smartlist, when we go to inquiry for AP documents, and drill down of PMTRX & PMCHK from the JE inquiry view: Unhandeled Script Exception: Index 0 array of 'PM_Transaction_Inquiry_Fill' Script terminated We ran a query for all documents that were less than 1 or greater the 8 on the PM00400 & PM30200 tables. And updated the ones to what they needed to be. And it worked! And the message went away! But then we ...

outlook.pst error message
When I attmept to open Outlook 2000 (in Windows XP) I get an error message that the file C:Documents and Setting\Owner Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst has detetected an error. It tells me to quit all mail-enabled applications and then use the Inbox repair tool. I have tried to run the repair tool many times and it always crashes before it fin9shes scanning the files. One time it finished the scan and stated that files were damaged and it asked if I wanted to Repair those files. I said yes and it froze up and would not respond. Are there any other ways ...

GP upgrade from 8 to 10 error message
I upgrade from GP7.5 to GP8 few months back and now I am trying to upgrade it to GP10 in lab environment. I followed the line by line instruction in upgrade instructions. I also installed sp3 but whenever I try to urn GP Utility it is giving me this error message "Database Name" Advanced security product 3104 does not support upgrading from version 7.50 or prior" "report scheduler Product 3278 does not support upgrading from version 7.50" Any help will be appreciated. Please be gentle it is my first time that I am playing with this product. Thanks, Abid, You m...

Pub error
I get the following message whenever I scan photos in Corel Photopaint and copy paste into Pub 2003. Happens on all my computers. Happens after scanning about 6 pictures or so. Publisher cannot launch or communicate with the OLE server program needed to complete the task. There may not be enough disk space, or there may be a problem with the server program. To make more disk space available, delete some unneeded files on your hard disk. If you suspect a problem with the server program, try reinstalling it. Then try this task again. Is there a way to correct this? Scan your p...