"Automatic Configuration of Access has failed" 2007 was working fi

I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then tried
to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
following message:
"Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on this
computer"
I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

access 16762 articles. 2 followers. Follow

johnleb,

Might help to post the code... but it sounds like you're going to have to
reinstall.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
tried
to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
following message:
"Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
this
computer"
I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

0
Gina
3/15/2010 7:43:13 PM
"johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
> from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
> tried
> to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
> following message:
> "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
> has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
> you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
> this
> computer"
> I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
> help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

Assuming you're running Vista or Win 7, did you try starting Access 2007 by
right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator? Or you could
try opening the Programs item in the Control Panel, selecting Office 2007
and clicking the Change button and restoring the application.

If you have to do some reinstallation, I've found it more productive to run
only the current Office version on my computer, and run any older versions I
need in a virtual machine.

0
Paul
3/15/2010 9:03:08 PM
I'm running xp sp3.. yes it does seem i'm going to have to re-install.. the
2003 over writes some of the 2007 dll's..  That's really not a problem.. it's
dealing with my inbox downloads, so I have to configure that for Imap first..
 So far no easy solution..

"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> "johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
> > from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
> > tried
> > to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
> > following message:
> > "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
> > has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
> > you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
> > this
> > computer"
> > I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
> > help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.
>
> Assuming you're running Vista or Win 7, did you try starting Access 2007 by
> right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator? Or you could
> try opening the Programs item in the Control Panel, selecting Office 2007
> and clicking the Change button and restoring the application.
>
> If you have to do some reinstallation, I've found it more productive to run
> only the current Office version on my computer, and run any older versions I
> need in a virtual machine.
>
> .

Paul, that was VERY helpful.  I'm running Office 2010 beta and kept running
into that same error.

Back on track, thanks to you.  I greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, that means that I can now do my homework...  ;-)

"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> "johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
> > from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
> > tried
> > to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
> > following message:
> > "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
> > has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
> > you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
> > this
> > computer"
> > I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
> > help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.
>
> Assuming you're running Vista or Win 7, did you try starting Access 2007 by
> right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator? Or you could
> try opening the Programs item in the Control Panel, selecting Office 2007
> and clicking the Change button and restoring the application.
>
> If you have to do some reinstallation, I've found it more productive to run
> only the current Office version on my computer, and run any older versions I
> need in a virtual machine.
>
> .

My understanding is that anytime you switch Office versions you need to do
the run-as-admin. That's part of why I like virtual machines for running
older versions. I have a VM with Windows XP and Office 2003 for the odd
times that I need to check older software.

"IHateIsNAN" <IHateIsNAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Paul, that was VERY helpful.  I'm running Office 2010 beta and kept
> running
> into that same error.
>
> Back on track, thanks to you.  I greatly appreciate it.
>
> Unfortunately, that means that I can now do my homework...  ;-)
>
> "Paul Shapiro" wrote:
>
>> "johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba
>> > code
>> > from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
>> > tried
>> > to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then
>> > the
>> > following message:
>> > "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office
>> > Access
>> > has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur
>> > if
>> > you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access
>> > on
>> > this
>> > computer"
>> > I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.
>> > Any
>> > help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.
>>
>> Assuming you're running Vista or Win 7, did you try starting Access 2007
>> by
>> right-clicking the shortcut and choosing Run as Administrator? Or you
>> could
>> try opening the Programs item in the Control Panel, selecting Office 2007
>> and clicking the Change button and restoring the application.
>>
>> If you have to do some reinstallation, I've found it more productive to
>> run
>> only the current Office version on my computer, and run any older
>> versions I
>> need in a virtual machine.

0
Paul
4/24/2010 9:53:25 PM
"johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
> from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
> tried
> to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then the
> following message:
> "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access
> has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur if
> you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
> this
> computer"
> I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
> help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

0
matteo
5/15/2010 2:26:40 PM
"matteo" <prova@mydomain.it> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
>> from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
>> tried
>> to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then
>> the
>> following message:
>> "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office
>> Access
>> has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur
>> if
>> you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
>> this
>> computer"
>> I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
>> help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

0
matteo
5/24/2010 6:50:39 PM
Access 2007 is fully capable of opening and running a database created in
Access 2003. While you can certain run 2003 and 2007 on the same machine,
there are significant enough differences that require the Installer to run.

Trying doing a uninstall/reinstall Office 2007.

"matteo" <prova@mydomain.it> wrote in message

> "johnleb" <johnleb@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>>I have access 2003 and 2007 on the computer.  I was copying some vba code
>> from 2003 and then testing it in 2007.  I shut down everything and then
>> tried
>> to restart access 2007. When I did, I got an installer screen and then
>> the
>> following message:
>> "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office
>> Access
>> has failed. Your database might not function correctly.  This can occur
>> if
>> you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on
>> this
>> computer"
>> I can no longer run access 2007 as it shuts down after this message.  Any
>> help on solving this greatly appreciated.. google was no help.

0
David

"Automatic Configuration of Access has failed" 2007 was working fi
I download the office 2007 trial suite and installed no problem. Been working on an Access/Excel project for the last 2 weeks. Tonight I closed access and tried to run it again. The installation screen started, failed and then i got the following message: "Automatic Configuration of the current version of Microsoft Office Access has failed. Your database might not function correctly. This can occur if you do not have the necessary permissions to install Microsoft Access on this computer" I did have access 2003 open while I was copying vba code over from a prior ...