want to save the record number in a field

This shold be simple, but I can't find and info on it. When starting a new
record I would like to populate a field with the record number and save it in
in the table.

Record numbers you see at the bottom of the display are 'relative' only.
Access stores records like a barrel of bricks, all in a jumble.  You have to
sort the records in a query, form, or report.
But you can use a field with an Autonumber to number records.  The numbers
may not be continous without gaps but will be a unique value.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"fransquest" wrote:

> This shold be simple, but I can't find and info on it. When starting a new
> record I would like to populate a field with the record number and save it in
> in the table.
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:33:03 -0800, fransquest
<fransquest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>This shold be simple, but I can't find and info on it. When starting a new
>record I would like to populate a field with the record number and save it in
>in the table.

What do YOU mean by "a record number"? Access doesn't have record numbers, so
you'll need to implement it yourself. Do you want a number assigned
sequentially in order of data entry? What if a record must be deleted: should
all later records get renumbered? Immediately, or can you do it in a batch
process periodically? If you change the order of records do you want the
record numbers to resequence? What specifically do you want these record
numbers to do for you?
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Saving Autorecover info in 2007 so SLOW!
I've had to disable it. Its soooo slow (eg 5 minutes and more to save autorecovery info on a file that saves in under 30 seconds!). Any ideas why so? I'm on Office 2007, Win 7 using files that were generated years ago under Excel 2000 and have worked flawlessy prior to "upgrading" (ha ha) to Office 2007. All my macros, which operated much quicker after upgrading to Win 7 have now come to a screeching slowdown since installing Office 2007 too, which i did because 2000 just didn't seem to be comfortable under Win 7. I am soooo seriously considering winding...

want questions

"TO" field, auto fill-in feature
my users have the "Suggest names while completing To, CC, and BCC fields" checked which can be found from the main OL interface by: Tools>Options>Email Options>Advanced Email Options my problem is that some of the names that have been used previously no longer work. it will auto fill in the "To" line with the correct display name from the Global Address List but there is no SMTP address attached to it. does anyone either now how to fix this or clear the cache so i can see if starting from scratch will fix this? thanx, i.s. Remove individual addresse...

PurchasePrice field in table IV00102
Does anyone know why this field exists? In our configuration, there are no values in it (all 0's). I want to store a value (for informational purposes only) - specifically, the item's standard cost per site. I would greatly appreciate some opinions on this. Thank you. Maria. This is from the SDK on the CD: Purchase price to use in determining which vendor to use when generating purchase orders to replenish this item/site (only when POP Pricing Selection is “Use Specified Price”). "Maria" wrote: > > Does anyone know why this field exists? > In our configur...

I want more!

IIF Record =
I'm trying to update a query expression and not having much luck. The origional expression pulled a value from a Form and then based on that value summed the values from another table. Month08: Sum(IIf(Forms![Summary Reports]![Report Month]=8,[Sep]+[Oct],0)) Now I want to point this expression to another table (not a form) in order to retrieve the value. Basically I want it to read. Month08: Sum(IIf([Export_Data].[Month] = 8,,[Sep]+[Oct],0)) Now the Export_Data table only has one record that I am manipulating via VBA. Any help is greatly apprechiated. Thanks! ther...

need to make 3 fields into 1 field
I have an mail list that has been created with 3 address fields. These fields need to be consolidated into 1 field. Can this be done. Thanks try =a1 & " " & b1 etc -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Georgia" <Georgia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:967B03F1-717D-47BB-80D6-3A289DCAC1A8@microsoft.com... > I have an mail list that has been created with 3 address fields. These > fields need to be consolidated into 1 field. Can this be done. > > Thanks > Georgia Most programs that use Adresses like them ...

Not able to save changes to system settings
I have 3.0 with sample data. My issue is that I'm not able to save any changes to the system settings. I have SA right. Any idea? Thanks. This is normally caused by a incorrect SQL Reporting Services setup. Check that your SRS Server is working, check that srs's url is well configured at deployment manager. And if it doesn't solve the problem you should read this KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916159/en-us -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "HEC" wrote: > I have 3.0 with sample data. My issue is that I'm not abl...

Makeing People Save As
I have an excel spreadsheet on a shared drive at work. When people in the office open the file, is there a way to make them "save as" and not to be able to type on the original file? Thanks for any help in advance!!! Eric "=?Utf-8?B?RXJpYw==?=" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:CCD79852-03E2-4980-B533-6EAFC253A009@microsoft.com: > I have an excel spreadsheet on a shared drive at work. When people in > the office open the file, is there a way to make them "save as" and > not to be able to type on the original file? > > Th...

Accidently "SAVED AS"!! Help!
Is there any way to recover/restore an excel file once it has been "SAVED AS" once it has been overwritten Help! Help! "Nicky" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Is there any way to recover/restore an excel file once it has been >"SAVED AS" once it has been overwritten? Only if you have a backup. If you don't have a backup, not possible. This is why backups are essential. Nicky If the file was saved as a new name, the original will still be on your computer. If it was saved as the same name, it has been over-written and unless y...

Text want wrap in text box

Need query of all records based on month
How can i create a parameter query in the query grid to ask for all records based on the month. example: i want all records for May 2007. any ideas? In article <21EC5C38-AB39-4AA1-88D8-7C9627A947FE@microsoft.com>, jackle@discussions.microsoft.com says... > How can i create a parameter query in the query grid to ask for all records > based on the month. example: i want all records for May 2007. any ideas? > say you have a date column in your table Field: DatePart("m",[Orders].[OrderDate]) Criteria: DatePart("m",[Enter date:]) In article <21EC5C38-AB3...

Saving Large Files
I am saving a large Publisher file and recieve the error "Cannot save file - delete some objects", Is there a file size limitation for a publisher file?? Publisher 2000 has a 2 gigabyte limit. Do this, view, pictures, turn off detailed display. Delete some of your temp items. Type %temp% in the address bar in Windows Explorer. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Large Publisher Files" <Large Publisher Files@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7C65EA5-3D53-46CB-9C4A-A2DB8333FB91...

Opening CSV file(saved in unicode) in excel
Hi, If anyone can help me on this, I would really appreciate that. I have a file that is saved in .csv extension (Unicode format). Let's say for example, I have the data as follows: "text1","text2",123,"text3",450.00 When I save the above data in .csv (in Ascii format) and open in excel file, I see that each value is placed in adjacent columns. When I save the same data in .csv (Unicode) I see the whole information appears in the single cell(first cell only). Is there a limitation to the CSV FILE opening in EXCEL, with Unicode format? Any inputs/...

Want to Add more Sub description Field

Saving configurations in Word 2007
I have 800 word users that get mad everytime we update their word2007client and all indvidual configurations (don´t show spelling and grammatics, don´t show changes and so on) just vanish and is replaced by default. Any solution of this problem? How are you updating them? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><&...

Help with duplicate fields
Hi All, Supose I have a Products table with code and description fields: cod description --- ----------- 001 hamburger 002 cheesburger 003 hotdog In this particular case, duplicate codes are not a problem since the code is not a primary key,and similar items stocked at various facilities will have the same code, with another field being used to determine the specific stock item's location. So this looks more like the actual table: code loc description ---- --- ----------- 001 A hamburger 002 A cheesburger 003 A hotdog 001 B hamburger 002 B cheesburg...

"Save as" box in MSWord
Hi For some odd reason I cannot save a (new) file in MSWord because the "save as" frame is larger than the screen size on my notebook. Because of this, the space for the "File name" and "Save as Type" panels - and the "Save" or "Cancel" boxes cannot be reached. When trying to push the frame higher on the page so that I can access and enter data into those panels and boxes, it will move only for as long as I "hold" it in place. As soon as I release the moved frame, ready to enter data into the panels and boxes, it slips ...

deleting a record after copying data
I currently have code in a form called workorders to execute after update to copy data over to a new form called Closed_Workorders. using two different tables (tasks and closed tasks) How do I write the code to delete the record once it is copied. "Thanks for your Support" Here is the code: Private Sub Status_AfterUpdate() If Status = "Completed" Then Dim StDocName As String Dim StDocnbr As String StDocName = "Completed_WorkOrders" StDocnbr = [Log_Number] DoCmd.OpenForm StDocName DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Forms![Completed_WorkOrders]...

PM check numbering
Other than the user overriding the check number for a payables check run, is there a reason why a check number might be skipped? Thanks, M. M, When you go to enter a Manual Payment transaction, the default Payment Method is Check...if someone is recording a wire payment, but doesn't change the Document Number or the Payment Method, then the next available check number is used by this transaction even though you have not printed a check. Similarly, when you enter a Bank Transaction, the default Type is Check and if you don't change that or the Number, this transaction will u...

columns misaligned after save
I open a spreadsheet from a network drive, make my required changes, save the document, and exit. When my supervisor opens the spreadsheet, the columns are misaligned i.e. the first few columns have moved down by 3 cells. I only work with rows, entering data into exisitng rows. I do not do any cut-and-paste operations that might normally affect column alignment. Thanks for any help offered. Just some questions... Are you sure you and your supervisor are viewing the same workbook? If you are positive (I'd double check), do you have any macros that run in this workbook? MarkJames...

two page numbers per "page."
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I would like to make a book pages... like a novel: One sheet of paper, sideways, with two columns of text (and TWO PAGE NUMBERS). You fold the pages over to make it book size. <br><br>I haven't been able to make the two columns each have a separate page number (except typing each one in). Thought maybe &quot;Sections&quot; but couldn't make it work. Looking for suggestions. Thanks. Hi, it would be possible to do so with section breaks, but it would be extremely tedious, as you woul...

How can I save a publisher file in a format that can be emailed.
I produce a small newsletter in Publisher. I would like to be able to save it in a format that can be emailed, not as a publisher file, which takes too long to download. willie*the*weeper wrote: >I produce a small newsletter in Publisher. I would like > to be able to save it in a format that can be emailed, > not as a publisher file, which takes too long to download. ============== Try this... Download and install the following free PDF Creator. PrimoPDF http://primopdf.com/ With your new program installed...open your project in Publisher and go to...File / Print. On your Pri...