unique record numbers

I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary
key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
(though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be appreciated.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:19:44 -0800, Rev David Bissas <Rev David
Bissas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

The "DMax + 1" technique should work for you. Google or Bing for it.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary
>key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
>incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
>(though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be appreciated.
0
Tom
3/6/2010 4:18:58 AM
PINs are suppose to be confidential and no one is suppose to know anyone
else's PIN. This being the case, why would the PINs need to be incremental?
You're just making it hard on yourself. Just use an autonumber starting at
some appropriate four digit number. If you should skip a number, so what!

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Rev David Bissas" <Rev David Bissas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:97B47057-B0D2-4329-86FB-267F9914F0DD@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary
> key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
> incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
> (though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be
> appreciated.

0
Steve
3/6/2010 5:19:43 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> schreef in bericht news:%23GKx2EVvKHA.5936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
 If you should skip a number, so what!

> Steve
> santus@penn.com

If you shoukd skip your adds... so what !!
We would love you...  (At least some of us here...)

Regards, Arno R

0
Stop
3/6/2010 7:16:17 PM
Steve offers a cogent point.  If your PINs are sequential, and if I have a
PIN, what's to stop me from trying out the number before and after mine?

Are you confident that folks wont be able to use brute force to try all
10,000 possibilities?  Are you confident you'll never have 10,000 PINs to
generate?

--

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in
this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does
not constitute endorsement thereof.

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Rev David Bissas" <Rev David Bissas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:97B47057-B0D2-4329-86FB-267F9914F0DD@microsoft.com...
>I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary
> key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
> incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
> (though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be
> appreciated.

0
Jeff
3/7/2010 3:35:18 PM
I am new to access myself, but I do know enough to say that if you adopt the
autonumber setup it would work better for you. However, do not skip numbers
when building your database. The reason for this is that when it comes time
to query your data into reports and forms, if you skip numbers it could cause
problems pulling in the data that you want.

"Rev David Bissas" wrote:

> I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary
> key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
> incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
> (though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be appreciated.
Depending on your definition of "autonumber"...

If you mean what Access provides, we can almost guarantee there will be
"skipped" numbers.

If you mean a custom "autonumber" (lower case) function, it could ensure
that numbers are guaranteed sequential ... BUT!  if someone were to delete a
record, there would still be a missing/skipped number!

Good luck

--

"accessnewbie79915" <accessnewbie79915@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:51ECFB90-05B5-4FD8-8DEF-0DF5B90F6A85@microsoft.com...
>I am new to access myself, but I do know enough to say that if you adopt
>the
> autonumber setup it would work better for you. However, do not skip
> numbers
> when building your database. The reason for this is that when it comes
> time
> to query your data into reports and forms, if you skip numbers it could
> cause
> problems pulling in the data that you want.
>
> "Rev David Bissas" wrote:
>
>> I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the
>> primary
>> key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be
>> incremental.  I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction
>> (though I can get around access fair enough).  Any help would be
>> appreciated.

0
Jeff

How save selected record on subform
I have a subform which allows me to scroll through related records via navigation buttons, but I cannot work out how to make the record I want selected to display next time I visit this form - it always reverts back to the first record (not necessarily the one I want displayed). I must stress I have been learning by forums and trial & error. I have used the wizards where possible and only have a basic grasp of coding. Is there an easy solution? thanks in advance Bruce -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200709/1 ...

How can I define unique font per each Outlook profile?
We have several Outlook profiles on one computer and each user wants their own font. I noticed changing to one type of font in one profile affects all the other user profiles in Outlook. Is there a way to assign unique fonts to each Outlook profile? Many thanks experts... Each user would need their own Windows login.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstar...

unique record numbers
I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not the primary key) that will be 4 digits long, and would like each new entry to be incremental. I am very new, and would appreciate a detailed instruction (though I can get around access fair enough). Any help would be appreciated. On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:19:44 -0800, Rev David Bissas <Rev David Bissas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: The "DMax + 1" technique should work for you. Google or Bing for it. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I am trying to create a unique PIN for members in a table (not t...

Replace Quote Number
How can I change the next Quote Number that generates in CRM 3.0. It's already been started and I want to chane it. In the Settings area you'll see the "Auto-Numbering" link which has tabs for the entities that have auto-generated numbers. You'll find that you can modify the prefix & suffix length, but you don't have much else control. More complex, logical or business specific requests have been made, and there is usually another field involved which is driven by either client side scripting or plug-in logic. Michael D. Mayo http://www.mscrmtrainer.com &...

How to Round Whole Numbers?
What is the formula for rounding whole numbers down (ie not decimals to whole numbers)? I want to round numbers like 14427 to 14420. The numbers are in a formula such as: =SUM(C6:C22)*.08 and I want to round the result to the nearest 10. Thanks for any help. =FLOOR(SUM(C6:C22)*.08 ,10) -- HTH Bob Phillips "blank" <blank@void.net> wrote in message news:428af534$0$25599$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... > What is the formula for rounding whole numbers down (ie not decimals to > whole numbers)? > I want to round numbers like 14427 to 14420. The num...

Beginner: Is HWND unique?
Hi! When I start an application twice and ask each application for the handle of its main window (calling an inbuild COM function), are the returned dwords guaranteed to be different? Thanks a lot for your help! Volker -- For email replies, please substitute the obvious. It is not guaranteed to be the same or different. You might get the same HWND towice in a row, or might get different ones between two instances of your program. AliR. "Volker Hetzer" <firstname.lastname@ieee.org> wrote in message news:ed9gei$di9$1@nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com... > Hi! > When I start an ...

combo box to select record in a query
I'm creating an inventory database in Access 2000, and have my table and forms already setup. I have created a form with the source being "Department", with a sub form to show all the equipment list against that department. I want to create a drop down list, which shows all the departments, then moves to the department chosen. I have done this on my other forms successfully, where the form has been based on a table, and the ID field (Primary key) has been used in the combo box to search for the record. ID column is hidden in the combo box The source of the combo box is th...

'RCT' number on PO Invoices not on PM enquiry screen
The Receipt number on PO invoices does not show on the PM Trn By Creditor enquiry window, which makes it difficult to see at first glance i.e. without drilling back into the PO invoice the system generated number for the invoice, which customers are using for the filing reference. It is not possible to bring this field onto the window using Modifier (as far as I know), so is it possible for you to put this field onto the window at all?? -- Thanks, Peter ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for t...

modify record
Hi, How can I modify a record, into a form, when I have more identical record in a table? The question is not clear. What do you mean by "modify a record, into a form"? Why are there identical records, and what do they have to do with the question? "Florin" <florin_serban@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uPlho9m$HHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How can I modify a record, into a form, when I have more identical record > in > a table? > > > On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:54:33 +0300, "Florin" <florin_serban@hotmai...

Number of DPC-Objects allowed in wait queue ?
I started device driver development with help of (maybe) outdated book of art baker (et.al.) "Windows 2000 Device Driver Development" (2001). I think the basics remain still valid for WDM. But I wonder if the following is still true for newer Windows versions (WinXP, Vista, Win7): "[...] there is only a single instance of a DPC-object allowed in the wait queue that refers to the same function. The statement is correct. You can have as many DPC objects you want in a queue, but each object may only be have a single instance in the queue. Or to put it another way,...

defining unique range of cells for different sheets as the same n.
I want to use the same name, month9, to refer the same range of cells, but on different sheets, how do i turn off the global define? When you define the name (Insert|name|Define), include the sheet name in the "names in workbook" box: sheet1!month9 or 'sheet 1'!month9 You can select your range and type this in the name box (to the left of the formula bar), too. KSAPP wrote: > > I want to use the same name, month9, to refer the same range of cells, but on > different sheets, how do i turn off the global define? -- Dave Peterson ...

clicker that advances one number per click in a cell
Hi, I'm new to the newsgroup. I hope that someone can help me with a small challenge. After reading the through the help sections, I just can't figure it out. How can I add a "clicker", where every time that I click on a button on a sheet, a cell advances 1 number? My gut feeling is that this is not a simple usage of a formula, but, then maybe there is one? Please help. Thanks for your help. Rayco See reply in .Misc Biff "Rayco" <raycotf@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bc16d$42f59851$d85678fd$6680@PRIMUS.CA... > Hi, > > I'm new to...

Receivables Override document number Setup option
There is a setup option in payables that allows the choice and also in SOP for the various document types but it seems not in receivables. It would be most useful to have this option available in Receivables setup also. This has been raised as a particular concern for cash receipt transactions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft ...

Serial Numbers Should Transfer Automatically
After Store X issues an inter-store Transfer Out of a serialized item, the receiving Store Y should not have to re-enter the serial number when receiving the Transfer In. The serial numbers from the originating store should carry through to the receiving store. Tom -- The worst words in business: "We''ve always done it that way" -- Stop Fishing for eMail. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you ...

Locked records
I am having a bit of an annoying problem with my Access application. The data is held on a SQL 2000 server with Access front-end. I have a form (Form A) used for editing records, this form is launched from a command button on another form (Form B) and filters to a sepcific records on Form A dependant on the record in Form B. Nothing special here I use this technique all over this application. Form A opens up and displays the record I want but when ever I make a change and try to exit the form or save the record I get the following message: "The record has been changed by another user...

Is there any a "unique" function performs on CStringArray or CStringList?
Is there any a "unique" function performs on CStringArray or CStringList? I know there is an algorithm function "unique" performing on containers in Standard C++ library. Is there a similar function in MFC? What am I doing now to avoid adding same strings to container is: CStringList strList; ..... if (strList.Find("somestring") == NULL) strList.AddTail("somestring"); But I realized it may be an inefficient way. Any good sugestion? I would have used a CMap for this. Then, when all insertions were done, I might consider converting it to a CArray...

Genrating text and auto number
How to generate auto number but i want it to be combination with text Example L0001, THEN L0002 and so on..how? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Emily, What does the 'L' stand for ? Will this field contain other series of numbers that start with some other letter but which must also start sequencing at 00001? By storing more than one piece of information in a single database field, you are violating the first normal form of database design. I would recommend you store the letter designator in a separate field. Assuming that you have other letters, that mu...

Pull Unique Values From a List/Table
How can I pull unique values from a table? I track vendors who might sell multiple items, but I only need to show the vendor once so I can pull other information. There are also may be blanks in the rows if the vendor is inactive. Thanks! Let me add one more twist to this problem: The unique values also need to filter out where it may be 'VendorA - West' and 'VendorA - East' and combine them into one record. I only need it to show VendorA and not both records East and West (same company, just different drop ship location). Thanks! "Karl Burrows" <kfb1@spa...

Having users modify theier GAL record
I would like to provide a web based solution for allowing my users to modify thier GAL infomration. Any suggestions? I heard that there is a web based version of GALMOD. Is this true? Does it allow the user to modify all the fileds that GALMODCA allows? Another question about GALMOD. I saw a message somewhere stating that you should not use it if you are running Outlook2k3 in chached mode. Why Not? Just curiouse on this one. So back to my original Q. Is there a decent, non-complicated, web based product that will let my users changed thier info? Thanks, Steve F. ...

Number Format #13
How to format say 123456789 in the format 12,34,56,789. This particula number format is being used in India. (grouping of 2 digits rather tha 3 excluding the last 3 digits -- harikris ----------------------------------------------------------------------- harikrish's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2710 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=46647 What version of Excel. In Excel XP see function BhatText as in Thai Bhat currency. =BAHTTEXT(A37) If you just have positive numbers you can use as custom format like: [&g...

Deleteing Part numbers
Does any body know how to delete a part number that has history. I have been told that you cannot delete any part number that any history. As far as anyone knows in my department it cannot be done. You have to remove history for that item before you delete it. Utils->Inventory. "James Rodgers" wrote: > Does any body know how to delete a part number that has history. I have been > told that you cannot delete any part number that any history. As far as > anyone knows in my department it cannot be done. ...

importing activity records and linking to account, contact, and op
Anyone can help me on importing phone call, appointment and task records and link to account, contact and opprotunity records. While I was successful in importing account, contact and opportunity records into CRM4 with proper links. I am having difficulty with acitivity records and link to appropriate account, contact and opportunity records. I've got all the phone call, appointment and tasks records into CRM but only partial records are linking to account, contact, and opportunity records via update of regardingobjectid. How does activitypointer table factor into this? Apprec...

New record only if the last record is filled
What I need, is a code, that just alows to add a new record only if the last record is filled. Is it possible? Thanks in advance Define "filled". Define "last record". Are you doing this in a form? -- Regards Jeff Boyce www.InformationFutures.net Microsoft Office/Access MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/ Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor http://microsoftitacademy.com/ "Luis Marques" <LuisMarques@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D45EC911-68F9-44F6-A09D-56C9CEE59A09@microsoft.com... > What I need, is a code, that just alows...

Unique Values, not Unique Records
My data looks like the following: ID Type Amt 1234 A $10.00 1234 B $10.00 1234 C $10.00 I would like to find a way to get only one of the items on to a new spreadsheet, because they are duplicate records in my eyes. The Advanced filter does not work because each record is unique. Can anyone help? in the dialog for the advanced filter, make sure only the ID column is referenced "steph44haf" wrote: > My data looks like the following: > > ID Type Amt > 1234 ...