stop the rounding

I'm using Access 2007.  I have a very small business & am trying to use
access for payroll/hours.  When I enter hours with decimal (ie" 7.5), it
automatically rounds to the next number.  If I set the property for text, I
cant sum the column.  I need to "turn off" the rounding feature by whatever
means & still be able to do mathematical calculations on that column.  Can
anyone help??

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:04:01 -0800, MonaOH wrote:

> I'm using Access 2007.  I have a very small business & am trying to use
> access for payroll/hours.  When I enter hours with decimal (ie" 7.5), it
> automatically rounds to the next number.  If I set the property for text, I
> cant sum the column.  I need to "turn off" the rounding feature by whatever
> means & still be able to do mathematical calculations on that column.  Can
> anyone help??

Most likely the [Hours] field's datatype is Number with the Field Size
property set to Integer or Long Integer.
By definition an Integer is a whole number.... do decimal's allowed.
Change the Field Size property to Single, or Double.
--
Fred
Please respond only to this newsgroup.

--
Build a little, test a little.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:04:01 -0800, MonaOH <MonaOH@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I'm using Access 2007.  I have a very small business & am trying to use
>access for payroll/hours.  When I enter hours with decimal (ie" 7.5), it
>automatically rounds to the next number.  If I set the property for text, I
>cant sum the column.  I need to "turn off" the rounding feature by whatever
>means & still be able to do mathematical calculations on that column.  Can
>anyone help??

I'm guessing that you set the datatype for this field to the default Number
datatype: Long Integer. An integer is, by definition, a whole number.

Open the table in design view and change the field's properties (in the lower
left corner of the screen) from Long Integer to Single, Double, or (probably
best) Decimal with appropriate scale and precision.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Let me offer one more ... "Currency".  Yes, I know the name implies $$, but
it actually provides (up to) 4 decimal places' accuracy, so if you don't
need more than 4, it will do.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"MonaOH" <MonaOH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Access 2007.  I have a very small business & am trying to use
> access for payroll/hours.  When I enter hours with decimal (ie" 7.5), it
> automatically rounds to the next number.  If I set the property for text,
> cant sum the column.  I need to "turn off" the rounding feature by
> whatever
> means & still be able to do mathematical calculations on that column.  Can
> anyone help??

0
Jeff

stops responding

rounding to nearest .5 in vba
i'm wondering if there is a single formula that will round the following examples in vba. i can do it with if statements, but looking for a more compact solution to enter the value in a cell. if it's < .5 it rounds to .5. if it's > .5 it rounds to the nearest .5. 4.571428571 5 0.571428571 0.5 0.575428571 1 0.285714286 0.5 0.214285714 0.5 57.03571429 57 -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 Hi Gary, have you looked at the MROUND function. I did a quick test...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

recipient policy stopped working

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Looking up the rounded value in a cell, not linking to the value.
What function will look up the rounded value appearing in a cell, rather than the value including all digits of precision. Suppose cell A31 has this value in it: 34.23942498747 And the value is rounded in that cell to 2 digits: 34.24 What function can I enter in cell A2 to reference the value in cell A31 and display its rounding value in A2? This seems like an Excel 1.0 question but I do not know the answer. Thanks. John Wirt On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:51:39 -0500, "John Wirt" <someone@toward.com> wrote: >What function will look up the rounded valu...

Would you stop for a moment?!
Excuse me!! Would you stop for a moment?! O...man...Haven't you thought-one day- about yourself ? Who has made it? Have you seen a design which hasn't a designer ?! Have you seen a wonderful,delicate work without a worker ?! It's you and the whole universe!.. Who has made them all ?!! You know who ?.. It's "ALLAH",prise be to him. Just think for a moment. How are you going to be after death ?! Can you believe that this exact system of the universe and all of these great creation will end in in nothing...just after death! Have you thought, for a second, How to save you...

Stop
I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a deposited item. I made one bank deposit for the combined amount. When it cleared, I matched it against the two items and all seemed fine. Problem is that every day Money shows the item again as an unmatched item and I have to delete it constantly. I realise this system isn't to well written, but is there any way to have this not show up. After all it was matched and accepted once. In microsoft.public.money, John Barnes wrote: >I have two items in my register, one a transfer to my bank and another a &g...

Sending and Receiving Email stops after installing Exchange 2003 SP1
I've installed Exchange 2003 SP1 and sending and receiving email has stopped. All services are running. Messages seem to be in the local delivery queue. Any suggestions? Thanks. I've been fighting the same thing. Users get -- 800ccc0f or 8004210 Machine is DC, running ADC --- HELP ! ! ! Hi Dan Had same problem, try to stop all Exchange and web (IIS especialy) manualy. ' Then reinstalle PS1, it solved my problem. Carsten "Dan" <dslaby.no2spam@evergreeninfo.biz> wrote in message news:<Ov0nh5DREHA.3732@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>... > I've install...

How can I stop all numeric entries from being devided by 100?
In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by 100. Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. go to tools-options-edit and uncheck "fixed decimal places" Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E7AFFC7-F58F-4691-8F98-30CF105D5C28@microsoft.com... > In a new and existing sheets, all numeric entries are being devided by > 100. > Tools-Options-Edit-Enable automatic percent entry is turned off. Tools>Options>Edit, uncheck the Fixed decimal box -...

how do you stop spam?
I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2 installed. We have around 40 employees in the company and they have been complaining about spam. Desktops are running Outlook 2000. Is there a way to stop spam without installing a third party software? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. there is an open source one available. i think it is on sourceforge.net. search for smtp. mike "Peter McCaul" <compcoff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ujtLb2riEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I'm taking care of a Windows NT Server (4) with Exchange 5.5 SP2...

Hotmail accts stopped working?
My Hotmail accts stopped working in Outlook Express 6 and regular Outlook (XP first, then I upgraded to 2003 beta 2) about a month ago. OE says "Authorization Required" but the password is definitely correct since I access the accts daily via the web on the same machine. Maybe something screwed up in the registry or possibly an encryption DLL... anyone have any ideas? thanks! -- ---------------------------------- To follow the path: look to the master, follow the master, walk with the master, see through the master, become the master. - Ancient Zen poem that is th...

Money 99 Investments error decimals rounded
Hi all I've be using Money 99 since several years, but nowadays I bought a new computer and a problem arised. In the past, I was able to capture the price of my stocks with no problem, but now when I try to do it Money don't respect my decimals. It turns the number rounded. For example, if I capure 3.45 as the price of the stock, the software changes it to 3.00. In the other hand, when I caputre this 3.45 as a cost of any expense (in the accounts of banks or similar), I don't get this problem. So I don't think that this problem is caused by the new windows plataform wh...

Auto-stop feature?
I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD drive doesn't run all night). I have the feature on my TV's DVD player, so I assume it is something that can also be done on my computer. I just can't figure out how. On Mon, 10 May 2010 19:00:01 -0700, hlagas <hlagas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I would like to be able to play a DVD while I'm faling asleep and have >Windows Media Player automatically stop at the end of the DVD (so the DVD ...

Minimizing Rounding Errors
Hello, Is there a way to force MS Excel to give "exact" answers, even if it is computationally intensive? I have no irrational numbers in my worksheet, so there should be no issue in performing "perfect" calculations. I am using XLS to calculate a number that will eventually be checked by Government Regulators. I have a large Markov chain (stochastic probability state calculation) which contain both very small numbers and numbers very close to 1, but not quite 1. Rounding errors occur by the 12th state. I have independently confirmed through others that these rounding err...

spell check stopped working in emails
using outlook 2007 and all of a sudden spell checker does not identify misspelled words, however is show a nmessage box "spell check complete" ...

Outlook 2002 stops responding when viewing hotmail
Lately whenever I try to view my hotmail with Outlook 2002, Outlook stops responding. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it is still hanging every time I try to open or view a hotmail message. My other mail accounts are OK. It did not do this originally. I have been unable to find any information on this in the knowledge base. Did you do anything to your PC, i.e. install OS patches or anything? I've recently experienced problems with Outlook recieving SMTP mail as well, and the only thing that changed was the installation of some critical security patches to the O...

Outlook has stopped working #3
I am not at all knowledgeable about this so I am hoping you will have patience with me as I learn. Thanks in advance. I tried to get into my mail yesterday and it would not open. Hesitated for a couple of minutes and then shut down and a box came up. I am going to type what was in the box in hopes someone can help me understand it: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file. C:\Users\Teresa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, an...

Stop
In row 1 I have my column names. What I want is to be able to scroll through my spreadsheet without having this row move so when I am at the bottom of my spreadsheet I can still tell what column I am working with. I tried adjusting the scoll on the right top side but when I pull the page to the top I get double columns and names?? Click in A2, and then, <Window> <Freeze Panes> Here's an old post that might help explain: http://tinyurl.com/2qdzt -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence withi...

How to stop Media Player from changing playlist names?
How can I stop Windows Media Player from changing my playlist names by inserting a "My Playlist - " in front of the name I give to the playlist? For example, if I name a playlist "ABC" the next time I start up WMP, I find it now has a name of "My Playlist - ABC". I rename it back to ABC but then the next time I start it up, it's back to My Playlist - ABC. Any idea why this is happening and how I can make it stop? Using WMP 11 on Win XP. TIA. I have never seen WMP doing this, so it's probably caused by a third party program or plug-i...