Slow running reports

I'm running an Access based reporting application in two
environments.  The older, MS Access 2000 version has been running for
years without issue.  If I run the same report in both I get the
timing results below.

Please note that for this example the pass-through query runs in
approximately the same time on both versions circa 3-4 seconds and is
only returning 40 rows of data.

My question is why is MS Access 2007 taking 16 seconds to render the
report.  I fully appreciate the devil is in the detail,  I am just
wondering whether there are known issues that would explain this
behaviour.

(Just to make things interesting if the query is run as a maketable
query and the report is pointed at the newly created table if both
events are sequenced it will also run in circa 8 seconds.  Currently
the report uses the pass-through query as the data source)

MS Access 2000
Windows 2000 & XP (mixed)

Reporting application captures report type & report parameters and
calls SQL Server 7 stored procedure for required data

Data returned to MS Access and rendered in MS Acccess report

Report takes between 6-8 seconds to render report

MS Access 2007
Windows XP

Reporting application captures report type & report parameters and
calls SQL Server 7 stored procedure for required data

Data returned to MS Access and rendered in MS Acccess report

Report takes between 16-18 seconds to render report!

Any thought would be appreciated

Cheers

Kieran

0
Kieran

Build is slow.
Hello. The environment is 6.0 vc++. When one DLL has 1700 source codes. Build is slow. debug start takes time. Please teach a good solution. Thanks, Buy a faster computer. ;) AliR. "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23DF80A8-723F-43A3-A5D9-7722EEA97578@microsoft.com... > Hello. > > The environment is 6.0 vc++. > When one DLL has 1700 source codes. > > Build is slow. > debug start takes time. > Please teach a good solution. > > Thanks, > "teratera" <teratera@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Slow Navigating Folders for attachments!!
Using Outlook-2002. Recently, since about a month ago, when I try to save attachments or attach files to messages and attempt to navigate to the folder of interest (after I click on the attach button), navigation is VERY slow - like if I click on a sub-folder, it may take over a minute for that sub-folder to open. It doesn't matter if other apps are running, or if I'm just changing to a different drive, or to the root directory. Everything takes minutes! It renders it useless :-( Any ideas? ...

Word 2003
It takes sometimes 10 seconds when I press crtl+c (copy) or crtl+x (cut) in a text inside Word 2003. Even if it is only one word it takes a lot of time just to copy or cut or paste it. That does not happen in Excel or Power Point only in Word. Please can anybody help me to solve this very annoying issue? Thank you very much indeed, Anderson From reading other postings on this forum, it seems that poor AddIns can cause this latency. I have also found that doing a clean up of the temp files seems to help as well. Hope this helps DeanH "Anderson" wrote: ...

label fields run over...
I have my labels set up, have been using it for quite a few months and the one thing I have noticed is... If the item description is lengthy, it will run on and on and into the next label. Isn't there a way to set the description to only show as many characters as fits in the specified area? I have no choice with the item descriptions as I must show the Manufacturer name, and sometimes they are quite long. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_026D_01C82AD2.E1063BC0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-pri...

Slow Slow Slow
When I click between different emails in my inbox, it takes ages for it to appear on the display. My internet connection is super fast. I have recently had to reinstall Office XP and I think a setting has been changed somewhere. I have an anti-virus but it never slowed it down like this before. To put in perspective, I've had 120 spams today and its took 37 minutes to delete them because of this problem. I have ran a virus check and its fine. Any thoughts on a registry tweak?? Cheers Carl Carl Sheldon <ccshell@courtlands5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: > When I click between differe...

Report with notes in crm 3.0
I'm trying to create a report for my customized version of Account, and I can't figure out how to add the notes field into the report. It doesn't seem to be in the Account view in the sql(2005) db. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Simon notes are stored in the annotationbase table ========================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP "Simon" <bolivar13@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1135803798.372023.321870@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to create a report for my customized version of Account, and > I can't figure...

Force a service to restart or run without admin privileged?
Hi All, I have a WS08 Terminal Service running as a Virtual Machine. There is a service I need to have running that only likes to run if it sees a program it is associate with. It the service does not see its favorite program after a certain delay period, it stops. No problem (usually): when the program starts, it will restart the service. Problem: the service requires Windows Admin privileged, which I do not give to the users, so the program can not start the service. I have set the services recovery tab to restart, but the service eventually outsmarts the recovery opt...

slow loading, slow updating
I am using MS Money in a non-standard application. I am maintaining ledgersin checkbook fashion for 100 accounts, each set up as a separate checking account. Each of those has 3 transactions set up as automatic bill pays. Other than that, there are very few entries, averaging 6 per year at most. The program takes about 5 minutes to load. Corrections, such as posting bill payments, takes approx 10 seconds to cycle through: Open, edit, enter, wait........ Open, edit, enter, wait.....etc. I am not doing any online updating or anything like that. Is there anything I can do to speed this ...

Macros not displaying in Run Macro dialog box
I have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet that when opened in Excel 2003 the macros do not appear for selection. Everything is fine when opened with Excel 2000. I've set the macro security to medium and low, but no avail. Any ideas? You're positive that the workbook opened in xl2003 (successfully)? And you don't have "macros in" pointing at the wrong workbook? (Maybe changing "macros in" to "all open workbooks" on that dialog will help.) Kevin wrote: > > I have an Excel 2000 spreadsheet that when opened in Excel 2003 the macros do > not appea...

Two (2) instances of OUTLOOK.EXE Running
We have a single machine that is giving me fits. Win2K with MS Office XP. We are also using MS Exchange Server 2000. This particular machine has trouble in the past logging on to the Exchange Server Get Server Busy error messages & authentication error messages. The MS Knowledgebase fix it to go into Network Properties, un-check TCP/IP, Re-boot then re-enable TCP/IP. What a pain. Now, there seems to be times when there are items in the Outbox indefinitely. Checking the Send/Receive details, Outlook is indicating that it can not contact the SMTP Server (mail.dekascale.com). I can go into t...

Report only select items?
I have a database of items. One of the entries is a check box. I'd like to have a report of the items showing ONLY the entries with that box checked, and also a report showing items that do NOT have the box checked. Can this be done? Thanks! Chris ctB wrote: >I have a database of items. One of the entries is a check box. I'd >like to have a report of the items showing ONLY the entries with that >box checked, and also a report showing items that do NOT have the >box checked. Can this be done? A quick an dirty way to do that is to use a query as the report's r...

Run subroutine using UpdatePanel
I have a FormView that is inside an UpdatePanel that I use for inserting new records. However, when the ItemInserted runs it calls a code-behind page that contains code to set the dropdown and default values in preparation for additional new records. See the code below. The NewTrans() subroutine is not firing. How can I make it run? Thanks Protected Sub fvIncExpTrans_ItemInserted(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.FormViewInsertedEventArgs) Handles fvIncExpTrans.ItemInserted NewTrans() lvIncExpTrans.DataBind() End Sub ...

Slow Viewing e-mails
Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? Found an answer to the problem in another post. Simply turning of the Messenger Integration fixed everything. /Johan >-----Original Message----- >Suddenly it's very slow to view e-mails in Outlook 2002. >Any kind of e-mail, with or without attachments. It >worked fine until a few days ago. Anyone have any ideas? >. > On 25 nov 2003 Johan wrote: > Found an answer to the problem in another pos...

why GetFieldValue() is so slow
I get connected a vfp6 dbf file, and the total record number is about 50000, I want to export specified field value ( most of their type are string), and the result is correct, but it works toooooo slow, and I find the function GetFieldValue takes most time. my code is: while(!m_Rs.IsEOF()) { for(index=0; index < m_ListDest.GetCount(); index++) { strLine=m_pSortItem[m_pSortList[index]]; m_Rs.GetFieldValue(m_pSortList[index], strVal); strVal.TrimRight(_T(' ')); if(strVal == "" && m_isFilter) continue; strLine.Insert(0, _T('[')); ...

Activity Report 06-25-07
I have looked through the postings, but can't find this particular instance. I am looking for a report that can show me all of the activity (yesterday or the last 2 days..something like that) for the salesman that owns the account. If the creator of the activity, which is not the salesman, references an account, I can get that data. If the creator references a contact, I can get that data. I just can't seem to get both together. ( I would also like cases in the future) The salesmen would like a snapshot of the interactions with their territory accounts that they weren'...

hqclient running 401
We are testing the 401 worksheet and it seems to be downloading all global customers every time we run the 401. here is the code that it seems to be running every time we do a 401 even though there have been no changes to global customers or sales. UPDATE [Transaction] SET CustomerID = CustomerID WHERE CustomerID = 1693775 UPDATE [TransactionHold] SET CustomerID = CustomerID WHERE CustomerID = 1693775 UPDATE [AccountReceivable] SET CustomerID = CustomerID WHERE CustomerID = 1693775 UPDATE [Order] SET CustomerID = CustomerID WHERE CustomerID = 1693775 UPDATE [Payment] SET CustomerID =...

Filtering a report's underlying table from a form
I have a form with several command buttons each of which will open the same report but with a different filter. What kind of code can I put in each button's OnClick event that will pass the appropriate WHERE string to the report's Filter property? I'm using Access 97. John Dim strCriteria As String strCriteria = "[Field1] = 5 AND [Field2] = 'abc'" DoCmd.OpenReport "NameOfReport", acViewPreview, , strCriteria The criteria is a Where clause (without the word WHERE at the front of it). You can build the criteria using variables, or by refe...

Application.run problem
I have the following line in a macro in thw workbook xxx.xls Application.Run" 'xxx.xls'!macro1 " If I save this file as say yyy.xls I will need to change the code i the macro to reflect this. Can I put some sort of variable in the macr to represent the current open file ? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com drop the file name. it is not needed if macro is run in the file in which it resides. also if you are using application.run, that is telling me that it is in a module that is runing a second macro. you can also use the call function instead of t...

Count Criteria in a Report or Query
I need to count the number of like responses for multiple fields. I have two tables. One with questions and one with personal data. They are joined by ptid. I created a report which is grouped by Location. I now need to count the number of times for each location a specific answer was given ex. "Very Good" = 2 "Good" = 95 "Poor" = 12 etc. I would appreciate any help. I have created a count for each "location" and have tried multiple things like =Count(IIf([2]='Good',1,Null)) however this returns "data type mismatch in critiera express...

Outlook 2003 Pro with XP Pro Too Slow with McAfee 2004
I just bought a new high-end brandname laptop with XP Pro. In it, I: - installed Office 2003 Pro, - installed McAfee Internet Security Center 6.0 2004 (including Firewall, AntiVirus, Privacy Service, Spamkiller), and - downloaded and installed all latest MS and McAfee software updates, by the books. Hoping to lessen intra-computer response, I opted out some sub-features in McAfee. The installations were easy. Without McAfee, Outlook 2003 was fast, reliable. After installing and working with McAfee, Outlook 2003 is miserably slow in most operations (send/receive, clicking on ema...

Running Start Links
I'm using the Microsoft Office Running Start Help site for rolling out 2007. However, it seems that a number of links are no longer working and users are being linked to a Microsoft Search Site. Is there an update for this app? Or am I stuck just editing all the links so the point to the right url? thanks http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E466D4D3-3C57-4AE3-9EBE-29E9D8D90804&displaylang=en -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "JustSc0tt...

CRM 4.0
Hi, After upgrading the crm 4.0 all reports seems to be duplicated, but reports are working fine. when enter reporting services I can see 2 folders for the company, one that doesn't contain any report. So i deleted it. Reports are running fine in reports server. After this I get the following error when running the reports in CRM: An error has occured try this action again. if the problem continues, check Microsoft Dynamics CRM community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics crm administrator Finally you can contact CRM support. ANY IDEAS??? Have...

Can't load the how to get started stuff in money 2002, running XP
How do I get the "how to get started" stuff to load in Money Help. I am trying to convert from Quicken to Microsoft Money 2002, running on a Gateway desktop using Windows XP Home. I have imported six quicken files to Money and now need to learn how to use Money. Anybody got some ideas for me? In microsoft.public.money, shirleyg wrote: >How do I get the "how to get started" stuff to load in Money Help. I >am trying to convert from Quicken to Microsoft Money 2002, running on >a Gateway desktop using Windows XP Home. I have imported six quicken >files to Mon...

Exchange 2000 very slow
My Exchange 2000 SP4 is very slow and every computer keep showing the Outlook Send/Receive Progress window. This is happen every morning. I have to restart the Exchange Server twice a day, once in the morning and later in the afternoon. Once I do that then everything is ok until the afternoon around 3:30pm. Could someone please tell what could be causing this problem and how can I solve the problem? Thanks in advance, Look for any processes that start to eat more ram throughout the day. if you see one find out what app it is from and check the manufacturer for an update. Sounds li...