Skydrive

This is probably a crazy question, but will ask it anyway.

Is there a way to share an Access database via the web?

Off the top of my head I am thinking of a situation where there might be a
split database with the back-end stored in a Windows live skydrive folder
restricted to certain users with the users having their own front-ends. Not
sure exactly how I would make the Target.

Maybe one would go about such a task in a completely different way. Anyway,
all ideas welcome. Please enlighten me.

Thanks so much.

By the way, each time I post a question I check the "Notify me of replies"
box but I never get notified. It used to work properly, but it doesn't
anymore. If anyone powerful is listening, that could use a fix.

Mary

You can do that with Sharepoint and Access 2007 or 2010 but having an access
to Sharepoint is not free.

--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform

"sweeneysmsm" <sweeneysmsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is probably a crazy question, but will ask it anyway.
>
> Is there a way to share an Access database via the web?
>
> Off the top of my head I am thinking of a situation where there might be a
> split database with the back-end stored in a Windows live skydrive folder
> restricted to certain users with the users having their own front-ends.
> Not
> sure exactly how I would make the Target.
>
> Maybe one would go about such a task in a completely different way.
> Anyway,
> all ideas welcome. Please enlighten me.
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> By the way, each time I post a question I check the "Notify me of replies"
> box but I never get notified. It used to work properly, but it doesn't
> anymore. If anyone powerful is listening, that could use a fix.
>
> Mary

0
Sylvain
4/28/2010 10:41:16 PM
Absolutely, but it's not straight forward.

You could use a website (preferably, at least for me, in ASP.net) and use
Access as your back end.

This would require knowing web development, database development, having a
web server or hosted space (the big name web hosting company I use allows
Access databases) and on and on.

but it could be done.
--
~Your Friend Chris

"sweeneysmsm" wrote:

> This is probably a crazy question, but will ask it anyway.
>
> Is there a way to share an Access database via the web?
>
> Off the top of my head I am thinking of a situation where there might be a
> split database with the back-end stored in a Windows live skydrive folder
> restricted to certain users with the users having their own front-ends. Not
> sure exactly how I would make the Target.
>
> Maybe one would go about such a task in a completely different way. Anyway,
> all ideas welcome. Please enlighten me.
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> By the way, each time I post a question I check the "Notify me of replies"
> box but I never get notified. It used to work properly, but it doesn't
> anymore. If anyone powerful is listening, that could use a fix.
>
> Mary

The responses above have been helpful, but I am still interested in focusing
on the skydrive. Windows live has a skydrive. Is it possible to connect to a
backend in skydrive from a desktop target - recognizing of course that one
has to sign in and be authorized?

Mary

On Tue, 4 May 2010 13:40:05 -0700, sweeneysmsm
<sweeneysmsm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is it possible to connect to a
>backend in skydrive from a desktop target - recognizing of course that one
>has to sign in and be authorized?

No.

Access does not "play nice" over such a connection. It needs a fast, stable
Local Area Network.

What's worse, it will let you connect (probably) - but will be unbearably
slow, unstable, and run a great risk of permanently corrupting your backend
database.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Link documents from Skydrive to Money Plus
There seems to be many security tweeks in IE7 in order to get Money Plus to open a linked file on my skydrive. Is there a best way to do this? Or if this is not recommended, let me know why. Thanks. ...

Connect to my Skydrive Folders from Word 2007
I have installed the MS Office Live Add-in so that I can open and save documents directly to my Office Live folders from within Word 2007. I would like to do the same with my Skydrive but can't seem to connect to it from within Word 2007. ...

Skydrive
This is probably a crazy question, but will ask it anyway. Is there a way to share an Access database via the web? Off the top of my head I am thinking of a situation where there might be a split database with the back-end stored in a Windows live skydrive folder restricted to certain users with the users having their own front-ends. Not sure exactly how I would make the Target. Maybe one would go about such a task in a completely different way. Anyway, all ideas welcome. Please enlighten me. Thanks so much. By the way, each time I post a question I check the "Notif...

skydrive explorer
Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out. http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing useful looking software that can compromise your computer? Why would skydrive explorer be free? TIA On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:47:57 -0800 (PST), gamma <darkknight.21@gmail.com> wrote: >Anyone know if skydrive explorer is safe to use or how to find out. >http://skydriveexplorer.com/index.php > >What's to stop someone with a sinister motive from distributing >useful >looking so...

Help with Live SkyDrive
Sorry if this is't the apropiate group, but I haven't found a propoer group for my cuestion .... Anyone can help me ? I send a link to the album but I mark It's not required under the Windows login ID to view the album. If the person you send the link visit the page with Internet Explorer goes correctly, but if you use another browser asks for the Windows ID. Thanks !! If the recipient of the invite is not using IE, iirc, you will have to set the folder permission to 'Everyone or place it in the Public folder(which is preset to Everyone) -- ...winston ms-...

Skydrive Photos
Is it possible to move a folder of photos so it nests in another folder? Or do I have to create that from the start? BigBang <BigBang@isnt.here> wrote: >Is it possible to move a folder of photos so it nests in another folder? >Or do I have to create that from the start? http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=6 for Skydrive questions, help, and support. You need to create the folder within your top level Skydrive folder, then upload photos to it. There is no moving of files and folders on Skydrive. -steve -- Stephen Boots MVP Windows Live Windows...

Where do I post questions re SkyDrive?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA6DAA.4FC292E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Good People, Where do I post questions related to SkyDrive? My specific questions is: How do I eliminate SkyDrives renaming of a downloaded file with a "_" = character at the start and at the end of a filename? Thanks, karl ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01CA6DAA.4FC292E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ...

Office 2010 Skydrive sharing
Hi I just installed the office beta which you need to be able to use web apps, but when I go to File > Share in any office program, it says Signed in as: Steven. I have no idea who Steven is or why it says that but there's no link to sign out. Anyone seen this? ...

Office Web Apps and Skydrive Synced Storage
A little experimentation and reading confirms that documents synced with the new Live Sync to "Skydrive Synced Storage" cannot be edited with Office Web Apps. I have to wonder what they're thinking. This seriously cripples the whole deal for me. I realize this is off topic here. Please indicate a better NG/forum if you know of one. ...

Script / Batch file to upload backup to skydrive
Does anybody have a script to do a backup - zip the file and than upload it to an online service such as Microsoft live skydrive? Dan ...

Downloading Microsoft Access in Windows Live Skydrive
Hi I get the following error when trying to download and open a Microsoft Access Database File 2003 from Windows Live SkyDrive."Microsoft Access cannot open this file. The file is located outside your intranet or an untrusted sight. Microsoft Access will not open this file due to potential security problems. To open the file copy it to your machine or an accessible network location." I use Windows Vista Basic with Explorer 8.I also get the error on another seperate internet connection. Can you tell me how to get round this error and explain the error in full. I can how...