Need help with table set-up and Thanks!

I’m about to finish my first database and am in the planning stages to create
another.  I want to express my gratitude to all that helped me with this.  I
learned more with the help of this group in three months than in three years
of reading books and taking classes.  I have the utmost respect for all of
you kind people.    I just hope that I’ll be able to find you all when they
close down this site.

I need some guidance about my table set-up.  I’m going to have a data table
that will be updated each month for employee, project and hours worked.  I
want to have a master table for projects and would like to have a one-to-many
relationship with my data table so that if a new project pops up in my data
table, I’ll know about it.  I have two obstacles about doing this.

1.  Sometimes the project number in my data table will be truncated.  I know
that it will be impossible to establish referential integrity so what’s a
good way of handling this.  The only idea I have which I have not tried
before is to do an update query on my data table to add the missing parts but
not sure how to go about doing this.

2.  My projects that are nonbilliable will remain the same from month to
month but new billable projects will be added monthly.  These will not be in
my master project table.  Should I separate the data into two tables
(billable and nonbillable)?  Would this be best?

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Hi Karl,

You’ve answered a bulk of my questions so a special thanks to you.  I sure
appreciate all the contributions you make.  You’re always helping everyone
out.

>>project number in my data table will be truncated.  I know that it will be
impossible to establish referential integrity
>>Use an Autonumber field as primary key field and long integer as foreign key
to maintain integerity.

*****I was hoping that you could enlighten me about using the autonumber.
Please keep in mind I’m fairly new to this.  To me, the autonumber is just
some meaningless number.  So why would I want to use it as a primary key and
then take the time to label a field with this number in my data table?  It
will take a considerable amount of time to assign this number to each of my
projects in the data table.  Is there a way to make Access do this for me?
I’ve never been able to grasp this concept.

>>Should I separate the data into two tables (billable and nonbillable)?
>>One table with added field to indicate billable and nonbillable.
*****Excellent idea about keeping my data in one table and adding a category
field.

Thanks again for your input.

"AccessKay" wrote:

> I’m about to finish my first database and am in the planning stages to create
> another.  I want to express my gratitude to all that helped me with this.  I
> learned more with the help of this group in three months than in three years
> of reading books and taking classes.  I have the utmost respect for all of
> you kind people.    I just hope that I’ll be able to find you all when they
> close down this site.
>
> I need some guidance about my table set-up.  I’m going to have a data table
> that will be updated each month for employee, project and hours worked.  I
> want to have a master table for projects and would like to have a one-to-many
> relationship with my data table so that if a new project pops up in my data
> table, I’ll know about it.  I have two obstacles about doing this.
>
> 1.  Sometimes the project number in my data table will be truncated.  I know
> that it will be impossible to establish referential integrity so what’s a
> good way of handling this.  The only idea I have which I have not tried
> before is to do an update query on my data table to add the missing parts but
> not sure how to go about doing this.
>
> 2.  My projects that are nonbilliable will remain the same from month to
> month but new billable projects will be added monthly.  These will not be in
> my master project table.  Should I separate the data into two tables
> (billable and nonbillable)?  Would this be best?
>
> Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Ok, I'll try to put all the steps in this post.
          BACKUP DATABASE              BACKUP DATABASE              BACKUP
DATABASE

Open Project table in design, insert a row, name it something like ProjID,
set the DataType to Autonumber, and save.  This field is automatically
populated.

Open Project Data table in design, insert a row, name it same as you did in
Project table, set the DataType to number - long integer, and save.

Run an update query to copy the contents of the autonumber field to the
Project Data table field.   Then run a query to see how many records in the
Project Data table has the new field empty.  Fix these by filling in the
correct data.

Open the Relationship window. If you have a relationship set between the two
tables delete it.  Create a relationship between the autonumber field that
the number field of the Project Data table, selecting Referential Integerity
and Cascade Update.

Use a form/subform for project/project data and set the Master/Child link on
the autonumber/number fields.  When you add records to the subform (project
data table) it will automatically enter the number in the table (the cascade
update does it).

--
Build a little, test a little.

"AccessKay" wrote:

> [...]
> > > want to have a master table for projects and would like to have a one-to-many
> > > relationship with my data table so that if a new project pops up in my data
> > > table, I’ll know about it.  I have two obstacles about doing this.
> > >
> > > 1.  Sometimes the project number in my data table will be truncated.  I know
> > > that it will be impossible to establish referential integrity so what’s a
> > > good way of handling this.  The only idea I have which I have not tried
> > > before is to do an update query on my data table to add the missing parts but
> > > not sure how to go about doing this.
> > >
> > > 2.  My projects that are nonbilliable will remain the same from month to
> > > month but new billable projects will be added monthly.  These will not be in
> > > my master project table.  Should I separate the data into two tables
> > > (billable and nonbillable)?  Would this be best?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for any suggestions.

This is what I needed but I can’t try it out yet because I’m going to have to
brush up on update queries.  I never really needed to use this query before
but I see how useful it can be.   Thanks again Karl and I hope to see your
name out there in the future.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> Ok, I'll try to put all the steps in this post.
>           BACKUP DATABASE              BACKUP DATABASE              BACKUP
> DATABASE
>
> Open Project table in design, insert a row, name it something like ProjID,
> set the DataType to Autonumber, and save.  This field is automatically
> populated.
>
> Open Project Data table in design, insert a row, name it same as you did in
> Project table, set the DataType to number - long integer, and save.
>
> Run an update query to copy the contents of the autonumber field to the
> Project Data table field.   Then run a query to see how many records in the
> Project Data table has the new field empty.  Fix these by filling in the
> correct data.
>
> Open the Relationship window. If you have a relationship set between the two
> tables delete it.  Create a relationship between the autonumber field that
> the number field of the Project Data table, selecting Referential Integerity
> and Cascade Update.
>
> Use a form/subform for project/project data and set the Master/Child link on
> the autonumber/number fields.  When you add records to the subform (project
> data table) it will automatically enter the number in the table (the cascade
> update does it).
>

> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "AccessKay" wrote:
>
> > Hi Karl,
> >
> > You’ve answered a bulk of my questions so a special thanks to you.  I sure
> > appreciate all the contributions you make.  You’re always helping everyone
> > out.

> > impossible to establish referential integrity
> > to maintain integerity.
> >
> > *****I was hoping that you could enlighten me about using the autonumber.
> > Please keep in mind I’m fairly new to this.  To me, the autonumber is just
> > some meaningless number.  So why would I want to use it as a primary key and
> > then take the time to label a field with this number in my data table?  It
> > will take a considerable amount of time to assign this number to each of my
> > projects in the data table.  Is there a way to make Access do this for me?
> > I’ve never been able to grasp this concept.

> > *****Excellent idea about keeping my data in one table and adding a category
> > field.
> >
> > Thanks again for your input.

> > > impossible to establish referential integrity
> > > Use an Autonumber field as primary key field and long integer as foreign key
> > > to maintain integerity.

> > > One table with added field to indicate billable and nonbillable.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Build a little, test a little.

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Importing spreadsheet to a table from a button?
We recieve information weekly and sometimes more frequent then that. I have a access database set up with a table, queries and reports. What I would like to do is instead of having to manually go in and import the table to make it more user friendly to the folks that don't know how to use access that well. I figure this will have to be done through code to call the worksheets, but I would like to create a button on a form that when selected it will automatically import the spreadsheet directly to the table. If it has to call the wizard that still would not be as bad and navigating throug...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Importing Access 97 table into Access 2000
I'm trying to convert an Access 97 database to Access 2000 using the create an empty 2000 database and import from the 97 database. I have a copy of the 97 database on my machine and no one else has access to my machine much less the database. When I try to import the table from the Access 97 database, it runs for a while and then dies with: The Microsoft Jet database stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time. I told Access to import the table definitions, the data, and the relationships. Does anyone have any idea wha...

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Great Plains Companies should allow window color settings
It would be helpful if Great Plains would allow different window color schemes for each Company. This would be especially beneficial to identify when you are in a Test company. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

How to emulate Footer with table
I'm using a third party software (Oracle's BI Publisher) that allows me to consume XML and generate forms using designed Templates in Word. It can make use of the native header/footer in Word to handle pagination nicely however some of the functions I need to use cannot be used within a Word footer. Is there a way to duplicate the properties of a footer on a table? For example, the table would need to anchor to the bottom of the page, not move with the text above and print on every sheet. My document currently consists of 2 seperate tables... the body content and the...

Need help on this....thanks

Setting colors in Outlook
I'd like to darken the color that corresponds to the first entry in the contacts listing when searching for a contact. When I hit "b" for the Bs, the grey coloration for the first name is so faint, I can't always see which one is the one selected. Eye sight taxed typer <Eye sight taxed typer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to darken the color that corresponds to the first entry in > the contacts listing when searching for a contact. When I hit "b" > for the Bs, the grey coloration for the first name is so faint, I > can'...

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

I need Help

need help badly

Ones in pivot table
Hello, I import my pivot table data from an external data source (MS Access query) and it displays like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count.jpg instead of showing values. If I double click on any of "2's", a new worksheet is generated showing me the actual values. How do I make the values show like this: http://www.geocities.com/blinton25/Count2.jpg Brenda, Post a small table of your data: you probably need to change what data you are using in the pibot table, and change from count to sum for the fields. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Brenda Love" &...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

Need Help Despertly!

SSRS
Is it possible to change the list of reports a user can access through stored procedures? At the moment I run a stored procedure to get a list of all reports a user has access to but then change permissions manually as I don't have a definitive list of all relevant SQL Server tables. SQL Servant ...