Memo Field Truncates my Data in Table?!

Ok - from what I understand a "MEMO" field type should allow at least 65k
worth of data to be saved in your database table. However, I am manually
opening my table and typing in text that is a half a dozen sentences and when
I hit enter to move onto the next field - it truncates my data. I go back to
the field in the table and only 255 characters exists.

Can someone please explain wtf is going on here? Yes, I'm absolutely certain
in database design the "MEMO" type is selected. This does not make sense to
me, and I'm not very familiar with access(I'm a SQL 2005 guy personally).

Please help, any insight is much appreciated!!!

Thank you

0
Nkryption

Nkryption,

Since you are in the table and not a query the only other thing I can think
of is your are changing the Data Type in a linked table OR you need to
expand the field for it to show you all the data... *unless* you are typing
into a query?

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Nkryption" <u58794@uwe> wrote in message news:a51c3432199fb@uwe...
Ok - from what I understand a "MEMO" field type should allow at least 65k
worth of data to be saved in your database table. However, I am manually
opening my table and typing in text that is a half a dozen sentences and
when
I hit enter to move onto the next field - it truncates my data. I go back to
the field in the table and only 255 characters exists.

Can someone please explain wtf is going on here? Yes, I'm absolutely certain
in database design the "MEMO" type is selected. This does not make sense to
me, and I'm not very familiar with access(I'm a SQL 2005 guy personally).

Please help, any insight is much appreciated!!!

Thank you

0
Gina

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:41:32 GMT, "Nkryption" <u58794@uwe> wrote:

>Ok - from what I understand a "MEMO" field type should allow at least 65k
>worth of data to be saved in your database table. However, I am manually
>opening my table and typing in text that is a half a dozen sentences and when
>I hit enter to move onto the next field - it truncates my data. I go back to
>the field in the table and only 255 characters exists.
>
>Can someone please explain wtf is going on here? Yes, I'm absolutely certain
>in database design the "MEMO" type is selected. This does not make sense to
>me, and I'm not very familiar with access(I'm a SQL 2005 guy personally).
>
>Please help, any insight is much appreciated!!!
>
>Thank you

Be sure there is no Format defined on the memo field, and that you're not
sorting by it.

--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Before I answer I'd just like to say that I inherited this project from
someone else, who had no idea what they were doing and provided no notes to
me!

Soo with that said, The data is showing up in the table now and on my forms.
I noticed there was an @ symbol in some of the text controls that were added
before I took over. I removed these @ signs and the text is appearing in the
text fields.

What does @ mean in access?(besides a pain in my ass)

John W. Vinson wrote:
>>Ok - from what I understand a "MEMO" field type should allow at least 65k
>>worth of data to be saved in your database table. However, I am manually
>[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
>>
>>Thank you
>
>Be sure there is no Format defined on the memo field, and that you're not
>sorting by it.

Nkryption
3/17/2010 12:58:39 PM
If you are viewing in a one-line space, as is usually the case, hitting the
enter key will put into a new line, thus making it appear to be invisible.
Hitting it more times will insert more blank lines making it more invisible.
Try hitting Shift-F2  (or arrow down) to see all of the contents it to see if
this is the case.

If you have truly confirmed that it is truncating to exactly 255, then the
above would not be an explanation.

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:58:39 GMT, "Nkryption via AccessMonster.com"
<u58794@uwe> wrote:

>John,
>
>Before I answer I'd just like to say that I inherited this project from
>someone else, who had no idea what they were doing and provided no notes to
>me!

Been there, done that, went through a lot of ibuprofen...

>Soo with that said, The data is showing up in the table now and on my forms.
>I noticed there was an @ symbol in some of the text controls that were added
>before I took over. I removed these @ signs and the text is appearing in the
>text fields.

Where is the @ sign? YOu say "text controls" - textboxes on the form? Are
these in the displayed value of the textbox or in some other property? Is it a
single @ or is the textbox filled with them?

>What does @ mean in access?(besides a pain in my ass)

Nothing that I can think of. It may be something that this developer included
in the app.
--

             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Memos disappear
I am using MS Money 2006. When I download new transactions from my bank and import them there is usually some information contained in the memo box. I have been using MS Money for years and have never seen this happen until today. The new transactions had information in the memo section, then it suddenly disappeared. It was also gone from all other transactions that were still bold. Luckily I was able to get almost every thing back from a back up. Any idea what happened and how I can prevent this in the future? ...

How do I sort by calculated field
relationship = one buyer to many purchases. Report is summary of buyer purchases. Number of purchases and total purchased. The number of purchases is calculated "=Count([Lot Info]![Lot No])" , the total purchase is calculated "=Sum([Price])" How can I make the report sort by descending total purchases? By descending total lots? To get the information to report one total line sorting and grouping is set to group by buyer number, group ascending. group on each value, interval =1, keep together = whole group. Presumably the sum of price is in a group footer, so...

Getting data from Several Work Books
Dear all, After some advis here, I have several workbooks all with different names but in the same directory I.E. Excel1.xls Excel2.xls Excel3.xls Excel4.xls In each of the above I want to get out the value for say A2. And put it in a totals.xls in the same directory. I started to do it and I got this as my value .. ='[Excel1.xls]Expense Report'!$R$20 <-------- This returned the correct value. When i opened the document again it asked if i wanted to "update" the workboog ... whick i did want to have the updated info, the pro...

Update A Field From Another Field
Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can help me on this one. It's probably simple, but I'm stuck!! I have a Table which fills in data from a form with the following field: ReservationNo ReservationName Surname1 Name1 Surname2 Name 2 Sometimes I don't have the names, so fields Name1 and Name 2 are left blank until I check in the guests using the RESPEL form with the following fields RservationNo ReservationName Surname Name Now the ResevationNo and ReservationName have identical data since they are autofilled. What I want to do is if the ReservationNo and the S...

Reimport data from a Money archive
I recently needed to "undo" an archive process and found that Microsoft made no prevision for "going back" with the archive process. (Its because Money archives transactions that have not been reconciled that I needed to go back). Here is what I ended up doing: 1. In the archive money file, choose to export your account (only one at a time per .qif file). You can only export to a .qif file. 2. Since the archive file actually contains all of the transactions entered up to the point of archiving, you will more than likely will have duplicate entries if you decide t...

add spell checker for comment and description fields
a client has asked if GP could have a spell checker, particularly for comment and description fields ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=f369f3e0-f5c0-4e10-a403...

Using a Yes/No field to trigger a calculation in another field
> I have a billing form that was created from a query based on the table that all > these fields are from. In this billing query is where all these calculations > are happening so they can be displayed on the billing form. > > TotalTuitions is a field that exists in my main table and it is calculated > in the billing query by adding (4) other tuition type fields. > > MultiClassDisc is a field in my main table and is in the billing query. > > MultiClassTrigger is a field in my main table that works from a Yes/No combo > box. This will also...

memo
I am trying to make some "From the desk of" memo pads that I can run off for teacher gifts. Any ideas how to make 4 to a page portrait size? A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from apesgreat66 <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I am trying to make some "From the desk of" memo pads that I can run > off for teacher gifts. Any ideas how to make 4 to a page portrait > size? Set the Page Size in Page Setup to Custom, and set that to the size you want the pads to be. Use the Advanced Print Settings or Multiple Cop...

p.c. office names truncated
i'm using office.v.x still. so, i dont know if this applies to office 2004 or not. but, i can't afford to upgrade just yet. that said, i often receive word files from p.c. users with very long names...often 30 or 40 characters long. the files are part of a project and get longer and longer as the project progresses. often, the only way to tell one file from another late in the project is by the last 4 or 5 characters of the filename. when i save these attachments to my harddrive, usually the names get truncated to something like "SMBAProjectTraningFilesVersionXAM-1412...doc"...

Update fields with blanks
Below is the code I am working with in Access. Basically, I am appending fields from one table to another. Once I run this, the field “Change” comes up with some values. I want to, somehow, make the values of the field “Change” blank. How can I code it in my statement below? INSERT INTO Quarter3_Table ( ID, Change, [Last Name], Name, Office, Sex, [Officer Title], [HR Department], [Asset Class], Style, Product, [HR Functional Title], Function, [Research(F_OR_Q)], [2nd Func/Dept], [Date Joined Delaware], [Date Joined Industry], [Date Left Delaware], MBA, School, [Year Graduated], [Other...

How do I remove all records of duplicated fields?
I am using excel 2002. I have a row of data, with some duplicated records. I want to be able to delete ALL duplicates. e.g. bob bob scott john would delete all record of bob leaving just the following: scott john How can I achieve this? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks -- nozzaworld The Common and known options is to use Advanced Filter to filter "Uniques Only". Micky "nozzaworld" wrote: > I am using excel 2002. I have a row of data, with some duplicated records. I > want to be able to delete ALL duplicates....

Memo Type issues
Hi All, I have a feild set as memo type. It is only allowing 255 character. Why is it limiting my data to this I thought it would allow 64,000+ -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200708/1 Allen Browne's tutorial will probably explain it! http://allenbrowne.com/ser-63.html mattc66 wrote: >Hi All, > >I have a feild set as memo type. It is only allowing 255 character. Why is it >limiting my data to this I thought it would allow 64,000+ > -- There's ALWAYS mor...

Need to add data to the bottom of a column using macro
I have data that I am importing from another program (see sample 1 below). This data will be changing values as well as number of rows each time I export. I need a way to determine the last line as the number of rows varies and then insert static as well as dynamic information. (See sample 2) In the first column I will be inserting "02" on the last row. In the second column i will be inserting the same numbers "150080380549" on the last row. On the 3rd column I need to count the number of rows (excluding the last line)and place this figure. On the 4th column, I...

No data when offline
When i go offline with SFO i can only view data that i created when i was off line. The data replicates to the live crm server when going back online but when i go offline this is the only data i can see. Can anyone help? I saw this issue a few months back. The fault was the useraccount in the systemuserbase table. in this table you will see the users logon details. Check their domain\username entry and make sure the domain is the netbios name rather than the FQDN like company.com etc -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Dylan" <Dylan@discussi...

From field not auto-filling
The From field on Outlook used to always auto-fill with my email address, but for some reason it no longer does. Recepients seem to be getting it, but it does not appear when I start a New or Reply message. You asked the same question yesterday and got multiple replies; have you read those answers already? Long story short; there is no need to manually specify the From field for each message. It is only needed when you want to send as/on behalf of somebody else. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Out...

Increase distribution reference field to at least 50 characters.
My client uses the distribution reference field which appear to be very long but only allows 30 characters. They would great appreciate having the field be at least 50 characters long. -- Thanks a lot, Julie London Technology Management Concepts (TMC) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

using CListCtrl::Sort() with OWNER DATA
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C3DC71.9497D720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hey All, 1. Which sorting method does CListCtrl::Sort() use? eg Quick, merge, = bubble, insertion, selection. And is it a stable sort? eg the sorted = data sequence preserves the original (input) relative ordering of = equivalent data units. 2. Is it possible to use the very SAME CListCtrl::Sort() method with the = OWNER DATA option for my own data? I understand that I cannot simply = call CListCtrl::S...

Field Based Security
hi all, can this be done? Define security/access based on field(s), say Account Type of Account. When Account Type is anything but "TypeA", all users of the system have full access, however when Account Type is changed to "TypeA", only certain group(s) of people can see the accounts Appreciate any input You are basing security/access on a field's value, not talking about true field level security (i.e. access to individual fields within an entity/form based on a security role, specific user or Team). In this case, I think "Sharing" of accounts will w...

Credit memo not appearing in Sales Statement
Hi, Im using the RM Statement on blank paper but when printing the document out, the credit memo amount won't show. It'll only show the the document no. In the report writter, i pull out 2 column for debit amount and credit amount. Please help. Thanks in advance!! ...

How do you get rid of a lookup field
I'm trying to fix a database that someone else created. Although I have quite a bit of Access experience, I'm stuck! Basically, one of the tables has a field set up as a Lookup Column. I want to change it to just a plain old text with the Lookup's associated values (as opposed to the stored id number) as the actual value. I've tried creating a new field and running an update query to set the new values, but no matter what I do I get the stored number instead of the real value. There's already a LOT of data in this table, otherwise I would just retype the v...

Macro that will add data from multiple workbooks to the 1st open r
I am looking for a way to tell my macro to pull data from multiple workbooks and copy and paste this data to the first open cell. I am extracting from multiple workbooks where each work book is updated/added to daily. (workbook1 may have data in columns A, B, C down to row 5 on Monday and then on Tuesday we may add additional rows in these same Columns A, B, C, this will hold true for all other workbooks). In workbook1 the macro needs to look at and copy data A1:A65536, B1:B65536, etc... However data will start in row 1 and will be added to daily. The Macro will then take the data fr...

Data transfer problem
I am working on a project that deals with two sets of information. M first set of information includes: A list of all the state abbreviations in the first column, the secon column has prices. E.X. AL (A1), AR (A2) ....and so on all the way through the 5 states. EX. $1.14(B1), $1.20(B2) ex--so AL has a price of $1.14, $AR has a price of 1.2 and so on... My second set of information includes: A list of state abbreviations, out of alphabetical order. I want to be able to merge these two sets of information around th prices. I do not want to go through the list and find each A abbrev...

Business Required Fields
Hi, Is there any way of writing an event to bypass business required field validation? i.e. dynamically change it from mandatory to none? Please advise. Thanks. hey i have seen a statement which can change the required fields dynamically. Will get bak tou on that ASAP. geoffreyjoei@hcl.in Hi, use: crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel( <fieldname>, 1 ); and: crmForm.SetFieldReqLevel( <fieldname>, 0 ); 1 = mandatory, 0 = normal "JM" <someone@example.com> wrote in message news:5571AAD3-98D5-4547-A51B-434BB30883F3@microsoft.com... > Hi, > Is there any way of ...

Table within a slide master?
Sorry if someone has covered this but I can't find anything on this topic. I'm working with Slide Masters and Layouts for the first time. I'm doing OK with making them and applying them to pages. But when I make a table it doesn't work. When I go to Insert>Layout Placeholder> Table, then I get a box that has the word "Table" in it. Is that right? When I look for controls to make it look like a table with headers, cells etc., right-click on it, whatever, I don't see any table controls, just the usual text/box attributes (size etc.). So in the ribbon...

Adding a second Manager field to the User record
We have personnel that report to more than one boss. Is it possible to create a second "Manager" field on the User record that performs just like the original Manager field through the standard Customization interface? Hi Robin, It seems like it's possible to make such customization with CRM "internal" instruments. You just have to go to customization area in CRM and open the User entity. The attribute name of Manager field is parentsystemuserid, and you can create similar attribute with lookup type and give it a name something like second manager. Then do the ma...