Making 2 colums into one

I have an excel file that I imported into Access. There are 5 fields.
Item 1-5
The item names are in column 1 and column 3. I need to combine the two
columns in to just one column. Can this be done?

Thanks for your help and reply.

Afrosheen

Use a calculated field --
   Combined:  [column 1] & " - " & [column 3]

Or omit the dash and use one space or comma and a space as you wish it to be
displayed.

You could add a new field in your table and run an update query but that is
probably not a good idea as it is always harder to split data when needed
than to combine as above for display.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Afrosheen via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I have an excel file that I imported into Access. There are 5 fields.
> Item 1-5
> The item names are in column 1 and column 3. I need to combine the two
> columns in to just one column. Can this be done?
>
> Thanks for your help and reply.

> .

Thanks Karl. That worked perfectly.

KARL DEWEY wrote:
>Use a calculated field --
>   Combined:  [column 1] & " - " & [column 3]
>
>Or omit the dash and use one space or comma and a space as you wish it to be
>displayed.
>
>You could add a new field in your table and run an update query but that is
>probably not a good idea as it is always harder to split data when needed
>than to combine as above for display.
>
>> I have an excel file that I imported into Access. There are 5 fields.
>> Item 1-5
>> The item names are in column 1 and column 3. I need to combine the two
>> columns in to just one column. Can this be done?
>>
>> Thanks for your help and reply.

Afrosheen

Make Default

Sharepoint 2.0 Access Request error
Out of the blue about 3 weeks ago my Sharepoint server on SBS 2003 started throwing an Error page: Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource. Access requests are not enabled. I have searched for a solution and have tried the steps in KB 823278, as I cannot access any pages with any user ID. The page http://server/_layouts/1033/user.aspx, returns a page not found error. I am totally stumped and have absolutely no idea where to go at this point. Can any point me in the right direction? Thanks, Greg ------=_NextPart_0001_9F5...

Weird CString Problem #2
Hi List, does anyone knows why this LPCTSTR Message = "Error Malformed XML"; m_Parent->GetConnectSocket()->Send("Test",sizeof("Test")+1); can cause an exception like this: Unhandled exception at 0x0040597e in FCS.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000002e4. Same exception when trying this: CString Message = "Error Malformed XML"; m_Parent->GetConnectSocket()->Send((LPCSTR)Message,Message.GetLength()); It seems every time I try to use CString in Parameters this causes an exception. Even when it goes like void MyFun...

RUS problems #2
I'm receving this error on Exchange 2003 clustered environment(error listed below). I've notice that the error doesn't appear on one of the two active servers. I have gone through several KB articles (KB 290419, 813877, and 839912, 254030) none of which have worked. Any suggestions are needed. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: LDAP Operations Event ID: 8270 Date: 7/7/2005 Time: 8:24:16 AM User: N/A Computer: Active server Description: LDAP returned the error [32] Insufficient Rights when importing the transaction dn: CN=Recipient Update Service (CO...

making a transfer show up in the budget

Tracking Inventory of One Item / Multiple Suppliers?
Hello. Trying to figure out if it's possible for RMS to report on / segragate inventory quantities if the same inventory item is from multiple suppliers (say 10 units of x from supplier a and 5 units of x from supplier b)...does RMS have this capability? Thanks in advance -- R. Mullen Clovis CA I suppose this could work for serialized items. "hitman" <hitman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB95016B-936B-46B4-AA19-A823FBE485F2@microsoft.com... > Hello. Trying to figure out if it's possible for RMS to report on / > segragate inventory quan...

Lotus 1-2-3 file with Excel 2003
We could always open Lotus 1-2-3 file with Excel 2003. However, now I get a message saying " You are attempting to open a file type that is blocked by your registry policy settings." Microsoft's solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 This works if we add the reg keys to current user but we are looking for a solution that would apply to all users. When we add the keys to the default user it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Jim <J...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >We could always open Lotus 1-2-3 file with Excel 2003. However, now I get a >mes...

Animated signature #2
I've seen emails come to me from others that use MS Outlook that have their names at the bottom of the email. I know how to do that, but how do I animate it like theirs to where it moves across the screen when you open the email? Tonya <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've seen emails come to me from others that use MS > Outlook that have their names at the bottom of the > email. I know how to do that, but how do I animate it > like theirs to where it moves across the screen when you > open the email? Why would you want to ? How does the gli...

making tickets

Show buttons on one row grayed out
I am using OL 2003 and trying to customize it a bit. When I clicked the arrow at the end of the standard toolbar. I noticed the option to "Show buttons on one row". Unfortunately, I also noticed that it was grayed out, and unuseable. Both rows buttons could easily fit on one row. Could somebody tell me how to make use of the option to show them on one row? Thanks. Sorry, I was wanting it to put the standard toolbar and the advanced toolbar on the same row. I have now added most of the items of the advanced toolbar to the standard bar. That did the trick. "Bob S" ...

trim #2
I am struggling with Trim. Please can somebody advise me step by step what I should do to remove an unwanted space from text entries. I have a column which is approx 2000 rows long, and quite a few of the cells have a space before the text (ie on the left hand side of the text). I am fairly sure the work sheet contains imported data , as it is an address data base with quite a few columns, and all the columns suffer from this problem (they are also out of sequence across the columns in some cases but I can fix those individually). I dont know which software the data was was exported...

AN OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE $$$

One use unabel to access Outlook webmail
I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with exchange. all are abole to read there mail throw outlook webmail except for one. we have tried changing her password, she is inn all the same groups as the others and she has outlook web enaboled as the other users. Any suggestion? What happens when she attempts to logon? Are there corresponding entries in the event logs? Nue "hans jacobsen" <hansjacobsen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73BF4D97-67B6-4C45-9BE6-6D3DFB2AE7B6@microsoft.com... >I have a costumer that are running small biss 2003 with e...

Comparing 2 Lists
Lets say that I have a Sales Forecast list with Customer Name and Sale Status columns. The number of registries in this list changes every da (some new sales opportunities are created and some are deleted). Questions are: 1) How can I create a report to compare two days in order to know whic registries have been added and/or deleted? 2) If I want to know if a Sales Status have changed from one day t another, what is the best way to do it? Tks!! -- inomat ----------------------------------------------------------------------- inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

How to make VLOOKUP work for this

E-mail Alerts #2
I want to configure e-mail alerts for all users in my domain using outlook. Is there any way i can do this from one location ...

Make Personal Calendar Read Only

Is there a formula to find one phrase in a selection?
Hey again, Is there a formula I can use to figure out if there is one specific phrase in a selection? I'm updating the attendance prgram at the school that I work at. Every student has their own attendance sheet in Excel, and each sheet sort of looks like this: |Monday| Period 1:| A | (A=Absent; S=Seat time) Period 2:| S | Period 3:| A | So basically, if they have one or more "S"s, we can count them as being present for the day. I need the formula to find out if there is an "S" in that column, and if there is, I need it ...

w3svc1 log files #2
These log files are taking about almost 20gig of space, it appears to be just account acces logs, are these safe to remove or move? Thank in advnace yes, that should be safe... "msadmin18" <msadmin18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1B99500B-2391-4F07-B783-8E148A7EFC3C@microsoft.com... > These log files are taking about almost 20gig of space, it appears to be just > account acces logs, are these safe to remove or move? Thank in advnace On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:34:36 -0700, "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote: >yes, that sho...