How do I link one person to another in the same table?

I have a table of Contacts.  Some of my contacts know other contacts, and I
would like to indicate that in their record.  However, for Data Type, I
cannot create a drop down list of contacts from within the table to choose
from.

Any idea how to to this?  Or, if this is not possible, can you suggest
another way to indicate "who knows whom"?

Your contact table ought to look like:
TblContact
ContactID
FirstName
LastName
etc

Then you need am acquaintenances table:
TblAcquaintenance
AcquaintenanceID
ContactID    (identifies a Contact)
AcquaintedContactID    (Identifies a contact ContactID knows)

If ContactID 21 knows ContactIDs 1,7, 32 and 47, TblAcquaintenance would
lool like:
1    21    1
2    21    7
3    21    32
4    21    47

Steve
santus@penn.com

"E289" <E289@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table of Contacts.  Some of my contacts know other contacts, and I
> would like to indicate that in their record.  However, for Data Type, I
> cannot create a drop down list of contacts from within the table to choose
> from.
>
> Any idea how to to this?  Or, if this is not possible, can you suggest
> another way to indicate "who knows whom"?

0
Steve
11/24/2009 9:36:07 PM
E289,

Try creating using a Query based on that table and use the Query as the
RowSource in the Combo Box on your form.

--
Gina Whipp

II

"E289" <E289@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a table of Contacts.  Some of my contacts know other contacts, and I
> would like to indicate that in their record.  However, for Data Type, I
> cannot create a drop down list of contacts from within the table to choose
> from.
>
> Any idea how to to this?  Or, if this is not possible, can you suggest
> another way to indicate "who knows whom"?

0
Gina
11/24/2009 9:53:04 PM
Use an Autonumber field as primary key field in the Contacts table.

If the  known contacts are only one way like employes to supervisor add a
number - long integer field also as Supervisor.   Then in the relations
window add the Contacts table twice (Access will add a sufix, Contacts_1 to
the second instance).  Create a one-to-many from first table primary key
field to the Supervisor field of the second (many employes can have the same
boss).

If the contacts are multiple in both directions then you need a junction
table, JCTContact with two number - long integer fields.  Name them something
like Cont1 and Cont2.   The in the relations window add the Contacts table
twice and the junction table once.  Create a one-to-many from first table
primary key field to the Cont1 field of the junction table.  Repeat from
second Contacts to Cont2.

Use form/subform for Contact to Contact.  The subform to have combo to
select associated contact for person shown in the main.  Use scrolling to
locate person in main.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"E289" wrote:

> I have a table of Contacts.  Some of my contacts know other contacts, and I
> would like to indicate that in their record.  However, for Data Type, I
> cannot create a drop down list of contacts from within the table to choose
> from.
>
> Any idea how to to this?  Or, if this is not possible, can you suggest
> another way to indicate "who knows whom"?

Change link between form and subform

copying a sorted worksheet to another woksheet.
I am trying to to do data entry for an accounting journal, and I want t have the seperate sheets copy their respective information as the dat is entered. For example, if I enter a Cash transaction on the entr page, I want the cash worksheet page to copy that information as well. I can do it with an if statment already, but that leaves blank spaces i the cash sheet if you have blanks in the entry page -- e_shoopma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- e_shoopman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=457 View this thread: http://www.office...

linking #4

Allowing one email
I have setup a PC to do a certain job in my company. I am using Outlook Express 6 and would only like one particular email address to be received. I have the same account setup on another PC but for this one, I only want my coworkers to see an email from particular email address. Is there anyway that this can be done? ...

Transforming Table into Matrix
Hi there, I hope you can help me. _*DATA_I_HAVE:*_ *Table * of *3 columns*: -column 1-: up to 60.000 terms -column 2:- up to 60.000 terms (mostly the same as in column 1; jus different order (column 1 and 2 are representing a connotation) -column 3-: weighting of connotation _*AIM:*_ In order to conduct a better evaluation of the data (connotations) need to *transform * the *Table-Sheet * into a *Matrix*, - having 2 coordinates: 1 coordinate representing column 1, on representing column 2 and - filled data (crossing of the terms) representing the weighting of th connotation(s) _*QUESTIO...

Linked Forms

Another Cannot Send Mail Post
This inability to send email is going on way too long and is effecting my business. I use Verizon at home with my wireless laptop. Have been successfully sending & receiving email for years. Then all of the sudden a couple weeks ago I began getting the following error message (which others have posted as well): The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'SENDING FROM SHOP EMAIL VIA LAPTOP', Account: 'mail.icecreamshop.com', Server: 'mail.icecreamshop.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E ...

Links not linking

Sales person Commission recalculation and paymnt
I am working with Great plains and another application, where I need to talk between the 2 databases. The queries are regarding sales person commission (The flow is: comn payable>paymnt recd>finalize comn>pay comn): 1. I want to calculate the salesperson commission after getting the payment depending on certain parameters. So, how to update the sales person commission fig after the invoice is posted? Please specify the related database tables for it. 2. In Great Plains, we have a window called "Transfer Commission" to transfer the comn to the salesperson acnt. Using t...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

can I display the file name of the imported text file in another c
When I refresh data and select a file I would like that file name displayed in another cell because within the file name is a date & time stamp relating to the contents. For example if the imported filename is count_200505110035.csv then I want a cell in the worksheet to display count_200505110035.csv. Any ideas welcomed please? ...

moving data from one db to another
I have a pretty general question about what might be the best way to handle this. I need to write a watcher program to export flagged rows in an MSSQL 2005 db out to a MySQL db. After each row is copied, I need to reset the flag in the source. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the best process for this would be. Looping through all the rows in the source one at a time and then posting them one at a time seems like the wrong way to go. There's a lot of vb.net that I don't know so I'm thinking there might be a better, simpler way to do this. Initially there...

links

Only One New Worksheet
XL and MS Office Professional 2003 I have changed the number of "sheets in new worksheet" (Tools/Options/General) to 6, however I keep getting only one sheet when I open a new workbook. No matter how many sheets I try in the option, I still only get one. I have also tried running "Detect and Repair". Any Ideas? Don Hi, Just the thought: Try to locate default template in XLStart directory (Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart). Open it and see what Options...General are set to. HTH Paul > XL and MS Office Professional 2003 > > I have changed the nu...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

email links in Publisher pdf

text box datasource refer to a field in a table
Hi, I am building a report that gives a summary on all purchase order in a period of time. For the report, I have the query set up no problem, but on the report Head, I would like to make it dynamic so that it can display a company name field from another table (not included in the report's datasource). Using the expression builder I got the following: =[company name]!CompanyName [company name] is the name of the table and CompanyName is the name of the field in the table. When I try to run the report, it promps me for a variable, somehow it doesn't recognize that [company name] is a...

Chart template and links

Tables to PDF
Hi there, I'm working with a table in Publisher at the moment & have formatted all my column / row gridlines to 0.25pt. However, when I convert to Adobe PDF, some of the lines appear much thicker than the others. Any Suggestions? Ian Have you tried printing the .pdf file? I've seen lines that look thicker but print just fine. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ianp" <ianp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:402A32B6-8157-4D23-907A-9C437BD4FE35@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > > I'm working with a table in Publisher at...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

table of content
Using styles (Heading 1, etc) in Word (any version) allows me to create a TOC very simply. I cannot find a way to create a table of content automatically in Publisher (2003), for instance by applying styles. Am I missing something or have they just left out this option? Don't want to create a TOC manually in a 200 page document.... TIA - Rob The bad news is you will have to create the TOC manually. Publisher is a page layout application. Word is better suited for what you are doing. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsof...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...