How do I include more Help options for really inexperienced users?

Things like on the forms (beside each label), how can i include a question
mark symbol that, when the mouse hovers over it, shows the format needed for
the data that should be input? e.g. contact number - 028 90 000000

You can easily do this with the Control Tip Text property. Open your form in
design view and select the control which you want to show the format for.
Open properties and go to the Other tab. Type in your example format in the
Control Tip Text property.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"laura" <laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Things like on the forms (beside each label), how can i include a question
> mark symbol that, when the mouse hovers over it, shows the format needed
> for
> the data that should be input? e.g. contact number - 028 90 000000

0
Steve
3/15/2010 8:50:02 PM
Laura

Forcing your users to follow your formatting may leave them less likely to
use your application.

What about the idea of you adding validation code that reformats what they
enter into the "proper form"?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"laura" <laura@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Things like on the forms (beside each label), how can i include a question
> mark symbol that, when the mouse hovers over it, shows the format needed
> for
> the data that should be input? e.g. contact number - 028 90 000000

0
Jeff

help with goal seek
Hi all, I have been using goal seek to solve for the input value to my equation. my problem is that I have 100 instances to solve. column B are the desired values, column C are the input values. column D is the result of my calculation applied to the column C values column E is the difference between B and D. I've thought I could use a macro to do this, but it looks to me like macros only accept absolute references. can anyone help me on how to understand this? so as not to seem lazy, I have already searched for an answer to this without success. Maybe I am not using the correct termin...

Help with this Formlua
I need some assistance with this one: In my sheet below I have certain buy and sell signals for this commodity. I used an =if(and()) statement with about 4 logical steps to come up with these buy and sell points. You can't see the formula because I have taken it out. But my next step which I don't understand is how to write a formula to get me out if the price goes against me. So lets take 7/19/2005 BUY signal for an example. I need to find a way to have the formula read that when I get a BUY signal take the close price that period and minus say 5 from that. Now if the lo...

User defined fields in Tasks
I would like to add a field in one of my Task folders. That field would indicate an part's location on one of many inventory shelves in the storage building. Each row of shelves is labeled with a letter or number. For example, we have: Rows 1-16 and rows A through J. The rows A through J are the first rows as you enter the building. Then rows 1 through 16 follow the row J. So row A is the first row in the building and row 16 is the last row in the building. I have added a field in my Task folder that indicates the row ID, but Outlook only seems to let me format the row ID field as t...

XmlResolver and xsl:include
Have been doing a fair amount of reading but at this point no joy. The scenario is - XSL template is stored within db. - Template has a xsl:include statement as <xsl:include href="inc.template.methods.xsl"/> I now I have to pass a resolver when I use the load method so that it understands the xsl include as in: ' object template is custom class to retrieve templates from the db dim template as new objTemplate dim myresolver as xmlresolver dim mytransfrom as xmltransform ' template.xmlDocRunTime returns a xmldocument object mytransform.load(template.xmlDocRunTim...

Spelling and Grammar Check
Our group runs Spelling and Grammar Check on Word Documents before they are sent to the Production group. The Production group will always run Spelling and Grammar Check again to validate that it has been run - and will receive the Microsoft Office Word pop-up box saying "The spelling and grammar check is complete" so they don't have to go through it again. But with some users, this functionality is not passed along, and the Production group keeps telling us we didn't run Spelling and Grammar Check even though we get the confirm pop-up box ourselves. Is this a d...

Help! Money99 lost my acounts!
I have money 99 with 5 years accounts on it working fine until recently when I had to re install windows xp home. I reinstalled money on to my new boot disk but although I have back ups on my old hard drive and on 3 floppies, money will not load them. I keep getting messages that say the files are corrupt! any one got any suggestions? Steve It happened to me under the same upgrade conditions. And the only solution I found was to go back to my old W98 after I deleted all the Money folders and all the .mny files that were on my HD. Then I reinstalled M99 and backup my files from my fl...

In Access, How do I hide records, but include them in the total
I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way I want, with total count, but how do i hide just the comp tickets. xeoimom wrote: >I'm running a report where I have work orders. They are grouped by appr and >comp. I need to create a report that will show all the appr tickets, but >give me a total count of appr and comp. I have the report generated the way >I want, with total count, but ...

Public folder help please..
I've been tasked with cleaning up our public folders. There are a LOT of disparate folders, some of which probably haven't been touched in years, while others are used daily. My questions are these; What would be the most efficient way of identifying folder owners/managers AND folder users? What would be the most efficient way of backing up the public folders so that they can be restored quickly in the likely event i delete an active one? What's the proper method for doing a public folder restore? We're running Ex2k in native mode. Most users have Outlook2k3. Thanks! ...

#includes
I'm looking over my files this evening, and I'm noticing that some of my #includes (of my own header files) are in my .h files, while some are in my ..cpp files. Sometimes I have used incomplete class declarations as well. I have tried to find some good reading to help me understand this whole thing, but haven't so far. Could I get a bit of advice on this? I don't know if this is related, but one of my source files won't give me any of those "smart tips" when the cursor passes over various objects, unless it is something that I have declared in that file itsel...

Email truncation help needed
A co-worker is my office receives truncated email text when I or someone else sends her an email. The same email can be sent to me without any truncation occurring. We all have the same version of Outlook 2002 and IE 6.0. Any ideas on what's happening & how to fix it? Thanks ...

Open File Dialog Help
I am trying to set the m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir to "My Music" on an open file dialog, but can't seem to get it to work right. I would like it to default to the c:\documents and settings\user\My Documents\My Music, regardless of the machine the application is running on. The project is being built using Visual C++ 6.0 Professional, on a Windows 2K machine, but may be running in any Windows environment. Thanks, SHGetSpecialFolderPath(CSIDL_PERSONAL) gets you to My Documents ...

Including MDA information in transaction edit reports
GP 8.0 I would like to include MDA entry with the AP transaction edit list so the input can be reviewed before releasing a batch for posting. Same thing applies to our invoicing. What is the best way to accomplish this task? I have coded this once for a customer. The only method that can work seamlessly is a Dexterity customisation which uses a trigger to add extra lines into the temporary table used for the report just prior to printing. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (f...

HELP!
Hello, My customer needs about 12 sections in a table, into which users will "cut and paste" data from various Excel spreadsheets. Initially I created a repeating table. However, my customer wants to be able to have them copy SEVERAL lines and once, and paste them into the form, and have all the lines visible/legible. The problem is (of course) that when you paste the data into the Infopath form, the data ends up as one LOOOONG string - it does not appear as different lines. Please, please - is there I way that I could make this work? If so, I will look like...

copy contents including colour
Hi In cells A1:B73 I have a list of contacts which are colour coded. What I want to be able to do is to be able to enter the name of 1 of the contacts in lets say G1 and it will search for that name in A1:B73 and automatically copy its colour code over. Many thanks for any help. Al Hi, I'm assuming that the colour codeing isn't a result of conditional formatting and it's simply a fill colour. To do this you need VB. Alt+F11 to open vb editor. Double click the worksheet that this data are on and paste the code in on the right. Close VB editor and type your name...

section breaks
Using Pub 2007 I'm interested in what section breaks can do to help me I am in the middle of creating an A5 recipe book and have to insert new chapters/headings/pages to existing sections as they expand Would inserting sections allow me to insert, expand & contract a chapter, create chapter only headings etc? I would like to renumber intro pages to i. ii, iii. etc, and start a new 1,2,3, page numbering at page 7. Any tips/help on how to do this please? I tried the the help section, but can't yet get the hang of it -- Martin ���� Hello Martin, Lots of help here http://office....

help
how to enlarge publisher business card to letter size 8.5x11 A single card? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "notoes" <notoes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09072BB4-4BB5-45E1-973A-32D0538D4999@microsoft.com... > how to enlarge publisher business card to letter size 8.5x11 must have a big wallet to keep them in -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "JoAnn Paules" <jl_paules@hotnospammail.com> wrote i...

need help with something
Using XP Outlook 2002 I think there is a way to change it to 'corporate' sytle setup. Somehow my brother changed it to internet email only. How do I chang it back if it is possible? I'm not sure where to look so any help would be appreciated. you need to go to tool / options I think you need to go to mail setup and click on a button that is called something like mail configuration. I am not possitive on this because I have 03 loaded not XP. I have done it before and it something like that. Take a look at the tabes and see what you can find "Sam" <anonymous@disc...

Help! --- Outlook 551 error
Hi, Everybody, I am using MS Outlook 2003, the problem is: when I send an email to myself, I got the following error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test22-1 Sent: 2006-6-22 10:45 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'qwang@advisors.com' on 2006-6-22 10:45 551 User not local; please try <forward-path> Help! Chuck Chuck Wang <qwang@alcadvisors.com.cn> wrote: > Hi, Everybody, I am using MS Outlook 2003, the problem is: when I > send an email to myself, I got the fol...

Renaming user account and accessing old account named mail
Using W2K3 server and Exchange 2K3. I need to rename a users account. First I'd like to know the proper way to do it. Is right clicking and choosing rename the most appropriate and will it change the name in all the necessary places (display, etc). Or should I go to properties and modify the name on the general tab, the modify the name on the Exchange General tab and then on the account tab? Second, once the account has been renamed, where will the e-mail from the prevous account be? Will it show up in the inbox of the new account? Understand - all you are doing in essence is chang...

Please help. Outlook 2003 (possibly other versions as well) question.
Hello, I have Outlook 2003 installed (with a personal setup - ie NOT the Corporate email setup). When I click on new Task, it comes up with an Owner. How do I change this Owner name? I've also noticed that the current owner appears in other places in outlook. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find how to change the owner name. Thanks, Jawaz ...

Include a button on toolbar to include/exclude original text when.
When replying/forwarding a message you must go to thru several screens to change your base setting or highlight and delete the message. Add an optional button that would allow you to include/exclude as each message is opened for reply/forwarding. ...

Administrator/User Accounts
Hello All. I was under the impression that only an 'Administrator' could install and remove programs but even in 'User' mode (which is how I am signed in all of the time, even though I am the administrator), I am still able yo install and remove programs. Why is that? Is there a setting that has to be changed so that a 'User' cannot install or remove programs? On 6/18/2010 7:34 PM, Summer1 wrote: > > Hello All. > > I was under the impression that only an 'Administrator' could install and > remove programs but even in 'Us...

OWA and Change Password Option
I have 2 mailbox stores on the same exchange server. Any user with a mailbox on the original store has the chane password option via owa. The newley created store on the same server doesn't have the change password option for anyone. Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance, Shane ...

Help Creating Form
I have 5 tables: Manufacturers, Products, Brands, Varieties, Sizes. I would like a combobox Manufacturer that would filter a Products combobox that would in turn filter a Brands combobox. After selecting a Brand from the Brand combobox, I need to enter several Varieties for each Brand and several Sizes (Size, Unit, Pkg) for each Variety. Please help. I am new to this. I have the relations set in the order that the tables appear on the 1st line of this post. On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 06:38:14 GMT, "rnjalston" <u58689@uwe> wrote: >I have 5 tables: Manufacturers...

Including Images in Excel Report Builder
We have a client that is attaching jpgs to the item maintenance window in GP and they want an Excel Report Builder report of each inventory item along with its image. It seems that the file name is stored in hex format. Is it possible to include a reference to the image location in an Excel Report Builder report, so the report can include the image inside of Excel? Thanks ...