How do I break a link to an external database but keep table data?

I am trying to break the link to an external database while keeping all the
data in the tables housed locally. It is possible I will loose access to the
external database due to updates that will be made. In order for me to work
efficiently, I will need to house all the data locally and manually update
all the information. (Currentlt the external database is updated
automatically and instantly.) Any ideas, hints, advice? I am using Microsoft
Access 2000. I have been looking online and trying to break links but nothing
seems to work. The database we use now (locally) is so big it would take a
long time to recreate everything, we have data from 2004 housed in this and
the amount of time put into create the existing links would be insane to
redo. I would just like to break the link and manually update all information
that is housed on the external database.

Thanks for any help!

>>In order for me to work efficiently, I will need to house all the data
locally and manually update all the information. (Currentlt the external
database is updated
automatically and instantly.) Any ideas, hints, advice?

Leave it linked.  There is no way to be more 'efficiently' than an automatic
and instantl update.

Why do you think you can do it better?

--
Build a little, test a little.

"darkskwirl" wrote:

> I am trying to break the link to an external database while keeping all the
> data in the tables housed locally. It is possible I will loose access to the
> external database due to updates that will be made. In order for me to work
> efficiently, I will need to house all the data locally and manually update
> all the information. (Currentlt the external database is updated
> automatically and instantly.) Any ideas, hints, advice? I am using Microsoft
> Access 2000. I have been looking online and trying to break links but nothing
> seems to work. The database we use now (locally) is so big it would take a
> long time to recreate everything, we have data from 2004 housed in this and
> the amount of time put into create the existing links would be insane to
> redo. I would just like to break the link and manually update all information
> that is housed on the external database.
>
> Thanks for any help!

Database rename
I want to rename the 'database file name'. Can I just goto Windows Explorer to rename the .mdb file name? Or do I need to rename inside Access 2003 IDE? You can rename it through explorer, but and you knew there had to be a but... depending on the db it could have implecations. If it is the back-end to a split db, you'll need to relink your tables It could also possibly break vba coding But yes you can it. -- Hope this helps, Daniel Pineault If this post was helpful, please rate it by using the vote buttons. "Alan T" wrote: > I want to rename the 'data...

Account assignment table
When setting up a new RMS system, do you have to set up the account assignment table if you are not going to be exporting accounting data to an external system? If not, are there default settings already there? Thanks, -- lhh lhh, No you don't and no there is not. Rob "lhh" <lhh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E41D822-5EA5-4EE7-B3AF-A5CCB2C7B0B6@microsoft.com... > When setting up a new RMS system, do you have to set up the account > assignment table if you are not going to be exporting accounting data to > an > external system? If not,...

Linking directly to CRM
Is there any way to create hyperlinks that will pop up windows pointing to specific instances of CRM entities. Either in Read only or editable form? Not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but... If you open up a contact detail screen in your CRM, and hit F11 on your keyboard, it will reveal the url of that specific screen - it should look similar to this: http://yourservername/sfa/conts/edit.aspx?id={6505B000-A555-462A-A45A-C907246F55AF} And any user, which appropriate permissions and roles, can use that url to view that specific contact detail record. CRM Security will be respected...

Microsoft's Mactopia site loses links to promotions and downloads
What a mess! Microsoft launched it's new updated web site for Office for Mac today and the links to promotions are messed up. There is no way for users that are purchasing Office for Mac to view the offers or coupons at this time. When you log into Mactopia you get the new link http://www.microsoft.com/mac/comingsoon.htm. This includes the Mac Downloads page! Clicking on the Preview Office 2008 for Mac link offers a link to the Suite Deal that just returns you to the main page. IMHO Heads should roll over a mistake like this! -- Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees...

Borders
I am creating a quote template in excel. To get the correct 'look and feel', I have used borders. This is fine if the quote can be contained on a single printed sheet, however, as soon as I go into a second page, I cannot get the border to recognise a page break. In other words, I have a series of vertical border lines but no horizontal border to signafy the end of one page and the start of another - Can this be automated? Many thanks! Excel 2002 ...

how do I populate a cell with data from another worksheet, #2
I have two worksheets, both with similar data. Say columns are Acc No, Acc Name and VAT number. Unfortunately the VAT number does not correspond on each worksheet. How can I populate 1 worksheet with the VAT number so that the data is collected on one worksheet? I have tried VLookup, but I'm not really conversant with it so would appreciate any help. Many thanks Denise Hi Denise You don't say which one is correct so you will have to change the formula as appropriate. I would be inclined to make a brand new Sheet, leaving all of the other data intact. First, mark the range ...

Matching data 02-15-10
Hi everyone, I get database outputs in the form of CSV tables. There are 3 tables Location , Learner and Result. MS Query is used to match up the data from the 3 tables i.e each learner is based in a paticular location and will have several different results. Then the criteria are changed to query the data. There are 5 subjects in the Subject field of Result and these have 3 to 5 components e.g coursework, test etc. Each combination is outputted to a separate Excel sheet and then I use Index match functions to produce 1 row of data for each Learner. I hope I've explain...

need query results showing Table 1 records both w/ and w/o matches in Table 2.
I am trying to write a query in Access 2000 and would appreciate some guidance as to how this should be approached. I am at a very basic skill level. My goal is to create a query that determines what type and size of packaging should be used depending on the mix of products purchased. We know that if 3 products from category X and 7 from category Y are purchased then 'the medium corrugated box' should be used (and we have reduced this to a grid), but we would like the process automated so that a simple list can be printed. Simplified (but hopefully adequate): I have 2 tables (Tb1...

databases
How can I convert my databases or address lists to printed labels? -- cjon http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524751033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "cjon" <cjon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F87380A-FA79-4617-9CCA-395FF6A19E73@microsoft.com... > How can I convert my databases or address lists to printed labels? > -- > cjon ...

Can you get line breaks in a text cell
I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free text input. Is there a way I can put in a line or para break into a cell (as you can in a cell of a word table). Can't easily use separate cells as the number of paras can vary. I could use word but then I lose the facility to use excel on all the cells that contain data. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. TIA Rob Just hit Alt-Enter which editing a cell to start a new line RFJ wrote: > I've got Excel XP and there is a form I'm creating that requires some free > text input. &...

Excel
Users are reporting that when they save an excel spreadsheet, that when they re open it, the embedded links re point from their G drive to their H or local C drives. Sometimes the link is substituted by random words. I know that this sounds virus related but can find no fix for it on the web. FWIW With multiple users I have to suspect them first <grin>. I hav noticed a tendency to get problems when linked files are :- 1. Not in the same folder as the main file. 2. The user's currently active folder (check with File/Open) i different. I guess a user would have to save the file...

subform data needs to be saved in main form's table
I have 2 tables. One table will store student names temporalily and the other will store several hundred company names - that are not temporary. I have an unbound combo box in my main form which queries the company table. When a company is selected, it's details appear in the subform. So, if I have a company selected, and several student names typed in the main form, it all looks perfect. Now, I want to save all of the information in the main table (the student table) so I can do mail merge in MS Word...How would I get that sub form information from the company table to save in...

Link to another workbook & indirect
I've been playing around with =indirect but I can't get it to work with linking to a different workbook. I have a workbook that tracks fuel usage for about 50 trucks. There are as many sheets as there are trucks and each sheet's name is the truck's number. That number is always in A1, by way of a formula. With the new year I've created a new workbook with no data and I'm looking to copy each trucks mileage from last years workbook to the new one. ='[Fuel2009.xls]107'!$H$2 links to the correct cell but what I'm looking to do is to use the cont...

Intermittent problem in data transfer MSAccess to Oracle using VB
I created a small executable which runs 5 days a week as a scheduled task. It retrieves data from a MSAccess database and writes to an Oracle database. I write to a log file to make sure the process runs to completion. It worked fine for about two weeks then the app would abort, but only intermittently which makes it very difficult for me to troubleshoot. I tried a number of things without luck, and I am currently pursuing the problem from the Oracle end of things but wanted to see if anyone here has any advice. Here's the running code in its entirety; the only changes I m...

Page Breaks
When I add a page break on one page I get a paragragh return on the next page which brings down the copy on the page....How do I have a page break without the return on the following page? Unless the paragraph mark is before a table, you should be able to delete it. But you can work around this in any case by formatting the text on the desired new page as "Page break before." -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "designermom" <designermom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

External HDD not shown in My Computer
Following the Avast disaster with the Win32:Delf-MZG trojan I have managed to repair most of the damage. However Disk Management now can't find my second and most important EHDD. It appears to be running but Start/Run/K:\ brings an 'unspecified path' message. EHDD is a Seagate Free Agent 500GB only 11 months old and changing the USB slot made no difference. Running WinXP Home/SP3 and IE8, and would appreciate help and advice. Thanks, Jim. "Jim Cladingboel" <carramar@tpg.com.au> wrote in message news:4b18a1cf$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > F...

Importing database data.
I am using Visio Professional 2002. I have learned to link an access database to a floor plan; but, I cannot link the database fields to the rooms. I would like to be able to import personnel names and other information into the floor plan. How would I do this? consider doing a search on 'visio 2002 space plan', al "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CD71740-D815-4ECB-8F15-14B823B115FB@microsoft.com... > I am using Visio Professional 2002. I have learned to link an access > database to a floor plan; but, I cannot link t...

linking problem
Hello All, Please help i have a linking peoblem, the error i get is : Linking... LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : error LNK2005: _iswupper already defined in TMHotkeys.obj LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : error LNK2005: _iswdigit already defined in TMMDParser.obj LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : warning LNK4006: _iswupper already defined in TMHotkeys.obj; second definition ignored LIBCD.lib(_wctype.obj) : warning LNK4006: _iswdigit already defined in TMMDParser.obj; second definition ignored 10x hy, check for double included files! >-----Original Message----- >Hello All, > >Please help i have a lin...

page break preview #3
I have created a new "sheet" in my workbook. My first sheet includes Page 1 to Page 22. I want my second sheet to start at Page 17, which I changed on the page setup page, however, the page break preview is still showing PAGE 1. How can I change this to show Page 17? VickiJo, If you're printing or previewing sheets separately, you'll get a starting page number of 1. If you're printint or previewing multiple sheets, it'll continue the page numbers from sheet to sheet. The First Page Number (File - Page Setup - Page tab) must be set to "Auto" for ...

Modeling Data Base, how can i do it??
Hi, sorry for my english, I have a problem of conceptual design of my database, i hope you can help me. This is a shop with a variety of articles (Posters, mobiles, decorative objects among others), which have different characteristics, Paint: size, author, image, ... Moviles: brand, size, weight .... Flashlight: Power, material, color, ... ......... ......... I decided to make a table tblCategoria and another tblArticulo: TblCategoria: id, name, description, picture TblArticulo: id, category, images, prices And here i have the problem, I would like how to save every property of the articl...

Excel Challenge (prize
This is an appeal to all Excel users out there. My wife has just lost her job because she didn't satisfactorily complete an Excel task in the allotted time. We've put the actual Excel question up on our website at www.dmhcipr.icom43.net. Please have a look. She is appealing against her dismissal and would be grateful for any constructive comments anyone might have - they just might help her win her job back. Thanks for looking. Post the Excel question here, and someone may be able to help. Her Husband wrote: > This is an appeal to all Excel users out there. My wife has just ...

Linking worksheets after runnning report
O.k. please bear with me for this one I will try my best to explain. I am running a report (layout) using peoplesoft software and it returns the information in excel. When I run the layout the criteria is entered in one row, say A4 for example. The problem is that when I run the report (layout) the information expands. So I now have information in cel A4 - A10 (or wherever the data ends) on my layout worksheet. I want to link the layout worksheet to a different worksheet so I can format it, and display it in a more visually appealing manner. The problem is with the link. Before I...

When data look exactly the same but...
Hi all, What's the cause of incidents when data in two cells, looking exactly the same, are not recognised by Excel as the same? It happens quite often when: - vlookup function doesn't return any value even though the lookup_value exist and looking exactly the same in lookup table; - the same data appears multiple times when you do advanced filtering and check "unique records only" checkbox; etc. etc. I've looked at usual suspects, like numbers entered as text?, space at the end of the record?, so on so forth, but, believe it or not, sometimes, these ...

getting rid of linking errors...
hello every1, I am new to VC++. I have assignement in which i am trying to port VC 6 code to VC 2005. Although I removed some of the common errors, I am getting some linking errors while building the sol'n. These are as follows: LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'MSVCRT' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library USBInfo.lib(USBInfoInterface.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) private: void __thiscall std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> >::_Copy(unsigned int)&...

Securing data
What's the best way of securing online databases and web services? At present I am using a database password, which of course is not hard-coded into the web service, but this means re-submitting it with every function call from my windows client. Any alternatives? James, What exactly do you mean with "securing data". It sounds like you're trying to restrict database access to users that have a user account and password. Be careful with that because you might submit user name and password in clear text with every function call. Can you elaborate more on your environment, ar...