Help with creating database

I'm a recent college graduate at a new job. I am trying to help my company
move a report that is currently done in Excel into Access.

To help you better understand my goal I will try to describe my business and
the nature of this report as briefly as possible.

We are a clothing designer. All of our product is produced in factories
overseas and delievered to our clients in the U.S.

Our W.I.P. report is currently in Excel. It's purpose is to give us an
up-to-date picture of what part of the production line our products are
currently in. Information on this report includes Style names and
descriptions; Fabric testing status; shipping information; fitting
information; etc. All of this information is gathered and input to an Excel
spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can get big, and become difficult to navigate or
read. The major problem is that each piece of information comes from
different departments and is re-entered by the people in charge of managing
the report. This leaves too much room for error.

My idea is to create a database where each category of information is
divided by department. I would like to have simple forms that each department
is responsible for entering their data into. Rather than having one person or
department fetch all of this data.

The only important stipulation is that the records need to be able to be
sorted Shipping dates and style#.

We also have multiple clients. Would it make more sense to have a separate
database for each? Or just one database for all?

I'm new to access, but am a quick learner. I would appreciate very much if
anyone can help walk me through the basic fundamentals and concepts of how a
database like this could be designed.

Thanks,
Phil

>>Would it make more sense to have a separate database for each? Or just one
database for all?
One database with a field in your table that is related to a client table so
for data entry the person select client instead of typing each time to avoid
typos.

You did not say how your data was to be used or how often.

You did not say how Style, descriptions, testing status, shipping
information, fitting
information, etc. is expressed in you 'report'.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Phil S." wrote:

> I'm a recent college graduate at a new job. I am trying to help my company
> move a report that is currently done in Excel into Access.
>
> To help you better understand my goal I will try to describe my business and
> the nature of this report as briefly as possible.
>
> We are a clothing designer. All of our product is produced in factories
> overseas and delievered to our clients in the U.S.
>
> Our W.I.P. report is currently in Excel. It's purpose is to give us an
> up-to-date picture of what part of the production line our products are
> currently in. Information on this report includes Style names and
> descriptions; Fabric testing status; shipping information; fitting
> information; etc. All of this information is gathered and input to an Excel
> spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can get big, and become difficult to navigate or
> read. The major problem is that each piece of information comes from
> different departments and is re-entered by the people in charge of managing
> the report. This leaves too much room for error.
>
> My idea is to create a database where each category of information is
> divided by department. I would like to have simple forms that each department
> is responsible for entering their data into. Rather than having one person or
> department fetch all of this data.
>
> The only important stipulation is that the records need to be able to be
> sorted Shipping dates and style#.
>
> We also have multiple clients. Would it make more sense to have a separate
> database for each? Or just one database for all?
>
> I'm new to access, but am a quick learner. I would appreciate very much if
> anyone can help walk me through the basic fundamentals and concepts of how a
> database like this could be designed.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
I didn't want to be too specific in my first post, as the report can be a
little complicated, but I'll outline the fields below: (each group of fields
falls into a different category or department that is responsible for the
information)

Group Name = Delivery Time Period (ie. May/June)
Style Number = Identifies product (ie. 000123)
Description = Product Summary (ie. V-Neck Tank Top)
Color = Color (ie. Sky Blue)

Cut Ticket# = Order number for factory to create goods (ie. 100012)
Quantity = Number of units
Issue Date = Date when ticket was issued.

Customer PO# = ie. 123456
PO Quantity = quantity ordered from customer
PO date = date ordered

Fabric at factory = date arrived
Approval = date fabric approved
Test = date fabric tested
Inspection = date fabric inspected

Etc, etc, etc.

This information is constantly looked at and updated over a period of weeks
to months. Every few months is a different season and these orders are
generally per season. So the entire order is tracked over a couple months,
and then onto a new order, and new report.

I would like for each department of the company to be able to input their
"piece of the pie," or report through a customized form. In the end the
entire report would be pieced together and viewable as a whole.

"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

> You did not say how your data was to be used or how often.
>
> You did not say how Style, descriptions, testing status, shipping
> information, fitting
> information, etc. is expressed in you 'report'.
>
> --
> Build a little, test a little.
>

> "Phil S." wrote:
>
> > I'm a recent college graduate at a new job. I am trying to help my company
> > move a report that is currently done in Excel into Access.
> >
> > To help you better understand my goal I will try to describe my business and
> > the nature of this report as briefly as possible.
> >
> > We are a clothing designer. All of our product is produced in factories
> > overseas and delievered to our clients in the U.S.
> >
> > Our W.I.P. report is currently in Excel. It's purpose is to give us an
> > up-to-date picture of what part of the production line our products are
> > currently in. Information on this report includes Style names and
> > descriptions; Fabric testing status; shipping information; fitting
> > information; etc. All of this information is gathered and input to an Excel
> > spreadsheet. The spreadsheet can get big, and become difficult to navigate or
> > read. The major problem is that each piece of information comes from
> > different departments and is re-entered by the people in charge of managing
> > the report. This leaves too much room for error.
> >
> > My idea is to create a database where each category of information is
> > divided by department. I would like to have simple forms that each department
> > is responsible for entering their data into. Rather than having one person or
> > department fetch all of this data.
> >
> > The only important stipulation is that the records need to be able to be
> > sorted Shipping dates and style#.
> >
> > We also have multiple clients. Would it make more sense to have a separate
> > database for each? Or just one database for all?
> >
> > I'm new to access, but am a quick learner. I would appreciate very much if
> > anyone can help walk me through the basic fundamentals and concepts of how a
> > database like this could be designed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil
Friends and friends around the world.
We are presenting the new messenger.
He will be in the commissioning by the friends that we indicate to use the
system.
Access the system by clicking the link below and register free.

You get something for using orkut?
You get something for using skype?
You gain something by using twiter?
You get algumaocisa for using facebook?

Enjoy this is your time!!

Sign up and join for free.

http://www.sqipcom.com/?ref=webempreendedor

http://stakeholder.sqipcom.com/user/webempreendedor

0
Marco

Can we create custom SSRS reports for CRM Online using Visual Stud
Can we use Visual Studio (or SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio) to create custom reports that can be uploaded to a CRM Online deployment, or even download standard reports and modify them? I don't know how that would work because I don't know if we would have access to the SQL Server database. Hi Michael, you can add new reports into CRM Online - as when you add Reports into any Microsoft CRM Deployment, the upload rountine replaces the Connection Details in the Report with the correct ones for the CRM Deployment you are uploading into. However whilst you can...

sumifs help

Help !

Help with this thing

Help with Outlook Setup!!!

database mirroring question
for database mirroring, can one mirror server to two principle servers? That means two mirrored servers mirror to one same mirroring server. Is that ok? Thanks. ...

exch 5.5 help

How do I create a table with data selected via a pass through que.
I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this before? Thx. On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:33:00 -0800, kandamj <kandamj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I see the data using a pass thru select query but when I try to use the query >in a separate make tabel query, I get an error message. Has anyone done this >before? Thx. You may want to try saving the passthrough query, and base a new MakeTable query on that saved query. The passthrough query runs on the host, and ha...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

help...help...help

Need help in data copying.

Macro Help

help me #2

Create and set up custom forms in OWA
Hey there! I read, that it is possible to convert custom forms to asp so that they can be used in OWA. Is there another tool than Microsoft Outlook HTML Form Converter to do the conversion-part? Do you know of an article that describes exactely how to set up such a form and where to install it etc. Like: What to do after I turned the Outlook custom form into an ActiveServerPage? Thanks for any help, Reto. ...

CString help

HelpProvider and HTML Help interaction

Creating E-R Diagrams In Visio Based On ACCESS Database
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB9.47434CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I need to generate an E-R diagram for an ACCESS database that I have = setup. In ACCESS I have defined all of the table relationships using the = relationships tool. Now I am looking for a way to import that = relationships data into Visio to create a more formal and commented E-R = diagram. Any ideas? Thanks, Gary --=20 Gary Novosel Recursion (noun). See recursion. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C48BB...

Your Help is Appreciated

bcc help

Duplicate playlists are created
When I created a playlist folder it was created one such playlist, but sometime later I found that another one being the same name was created. As matter of fact all playlist folders so far created are now their duplicate folders. How come this is happening? ...

Rules Wizard Help

Excel 2003 hangs calculating cells from a Excel XP created Document
I have an excel document that was created in Excel XP, and it opens fine in Excel XP. When I try to open it in Excel 2003, it tries to go thru 'calculating cells'. It hangs at 5% on a mid range laptop and 25% on a high end desktop. Is there a fomula converter or something I cna run on the file to get it to open in Excel 2003? James Bates Excel 2002 and 2003 use the same file format so it's not an issue of converting formulas. Rather it would seem to be something it 2003's configuration. In your place I'd see what happens when the workbook is opened in a 'pure...