Duplicate Fields Problem in My Tables

I'm working on a DB for statistics for a small Hockey League.  We've been
using Excel, but it's getting more and more unwieldy.  I've read elsewhere in
this forum that Excel users usually have trouble switching to Access, and I'm
here to tell you it is true!  Oh, well, here's what I have so far.

1. A Members table for storing names, addresses, etc.
2. A Roster table for members who are actively playing in the current
season, including team name, jersey number, etc.
3. A Stats table for saving the stats for each player for every game they
play, goals, assists, team, game, etc.

The problem is that all the data in the Roster table has to be duplicated in
the Stats table because Stats remembers everything uniquely and permanently,
while Roster changes from season to season.  I understand that having
duplicate fields in different tables is poor design, and this approach has
certainly bogged down for me.  I've searched the forum and googled this
issue, but I'm either asking the wrong question or not recognizing the answer
when I read it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Try these tables:

TblYear
HockeyYear

TblTeam
TeamID
TeamName

TblMember
MemberID
<name, address, etc>

TblRoster            Each record is a player. For a given year,
RosterID                identifies his team, jersey number, etc.
HockeyYear
TeamID
MemberID
JerseyNumber
<other Roster fields>

TblSchedule        Schedule of games. Identifies date of game
ScheduleID            and which teams are playing in the game
ScheduleDate
HomeTeamID        Relate to TeamID in TblTeam
VisitingTeamID        "                "                "

TblStat
StatID
Stat        goals, assists, etc  (not team or game)

TblPlayerStat
PlayerStatID
ScheduleID
RosterID
StatID
PlayerStat

Steve
santus@penn.com

"Ennead" <Ennead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm working on a DB for statistics for a small Hockey League.  We've been
> using Excel, but it's getting more and more unwieldy.  I've read elsewhere
> in
> this forum that Excel users usually have trouble switching to Access, and
> I'm
> here to tell you it is true!  Oh, well, here's what I have so far.
>
> 1. A Members table for storing names, addresses, etc.
> 2. A Roster table for members who are actively playing in the current
> season, including team name, jersey number, etc.
> 3. A Stats table for saving the stats for each player for every game they
> play, goals, assists, team, game, etc.
>
> The problem is that all the data in the Roster table has to be duplicated
> in
> the Stats table because Stats remembers everything uniquely and
> permanently,
> while Roster changes from season to season.  I understand that having
> duplicate fields in different tables is poor design, and this approach has
> certainly bogged down for me.  I've searched the forum and googled this
> issue, but I'm either asking the wrong question or not recognizing the
> answer
> when I read it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0
Steve
2/14/2010 11:42:46 PM
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> schreef in bericht news:upakq9crKHA.4284@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Try these tables:

<snipped>

No need to answer ANY questions here $teve...

No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...

OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'...  we have passed 11.000 pageloads... it's a shame !!)

For those who don't 'agree' with this mail , because $teve was 'helping' with his post...
We warned him a thousand times...  Sad, but he is not willing to stop advertising...

He is just toying with these groups... advertising like hell... on and on... for years...
oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...

==> We are totally 'finished' with $teve now...
==> Killfile 'Stop$teve and you won't see these mails....

Arno R

0
Stop
2/15/2010 9:16:00 AM
I do not agree with your posting.  If Steve starts advertising you can reply
then, but a pre-emptive attack is as unethical as advertising.

Stop$teve wrote:
>> Try these tables:
>
><snipped>
>
>No need to answer ANY questions here $teve...
>
>No-one wants you here... no-one needs you here...
>
>OP look at http://home.tiscali.nl/arracom/whoissteve.html
>(Website has been updated and has a new 'look'...  we have passed 11.000 pageloads... it's a shame !!)
>
>For those who don't 'agree' with this mail , because $teve was 'helping' with his post...
>We warned him a thousand times...  Sad, but he is not willing to stop advertising...
>
>He is just toying with these groups... advertising like hell... on and on... for years...
>oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
>and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...
>
>==> We are totally 'finished' with $teve now...
>==> Killfile 'Stop$teve and you won't see these mails....
>
>Arno R

BruceM
2/15/2010 1:16:59 PM
To respond to just a few of your points, there should be no need to store
duplicate information.  That is where linking fields are used, which is a big
difference from Excel.  If Stats is related to a Game table, all you need to
store in the Stats table is the linking field.  One of the difficulties is
that there are a lot of moving parts in a project such as this one.  If you
post what you have so far it may be possible to help steer you in the right
direction.

Ennead wrote:
>I'm working on a DB for statistics for a small Hockey League.  We've been
>using Excel, but it's getting more and more unwieldy.  I've read elsewhere in
>this forum that Excel users usually have trouble switching to Access, and I'm
>here to tell you it is true!  Oh, well, here's what I have so far.
>
>1. A Members table for storing names, addresses, etc.
>2. A Roster table for members who are actively playing in the current
>season, including team name, jersey number, etc.
>3. A Stats table for saving the stats for each player for every game they
>play, goals, assists, team, game, etc.
>
>The problem is that all the data in the Roster table has to be duplicated in
>the Stats table because Stats remembers everything uniquely and permanently,
>while Roster changes from season to season.  I understand that having
>duplicate fields in different tables is poor design, and this approach has
>certainly bogged down for me.  I've searched the forum and googled this
>issue, but I'm either asking the wrong question or not recognizing the answer
>when I read it.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

BruceM
2/15/2010 1:38:51 PM
"BruceM via AccessMonster.com" <u54429@uwe> schreef in bericht news:a3abb5d5a279d@uwe...

As I said:
>oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
>and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...

<sigh>
IMO we should ALL be attacking $teve in an attempt to finally get rid of him...

Regards, Arno R

0
Stop
2/15/2010 2:53:02 PM
I know what you said.  I read your full posting, and I responded as I did.  I
repeat that the time to confront him is when he actually solicits.  There
have been plenty of opportunities for that.  Pre-emptive attacks tend to come
across as personal rather than in the interest of the group.

Stop$teve wrote:
>>I do not agree with your posting.  If Steve starts advertising you can reply
>> then, but a pre-emptive attack is as unethical as advertising.
>
>As I said:
>>oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
>>and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...
>
><sigh>
>IMO we should ALL be attacking $teve in an attempt to finally get rid of him...
>
>Regards, Arno R

BruceM
2/15/2010 3:12:12 PM
> If you
> post what you have so far it may be possible to help steer you in the right
> direction.

I hope this is what you were requesting.  If you were thinking of the actual
mdb, I could post that, too, if you tell me how.  Here are the main tables
with the fields they contain:

tblPlayer
 ID
 Last
 First
 Birthday
 Address
 Phone
 Email
 Father
 Mother
 Paid
 Waiver

tblRoster
 ID
 Player
 Jersey
 Team
 League
 Season

tblStats
 ID
 Player
 Goals
 Assists
 Penalties
 PenaltyMinutes
 League
 Season
 Game
 Team

Both Player fields link back to the ID, Last, and First (names) fields in
the tblPlayers.  I've been trying to populate the corresponding fields in
tblStats from tblRoster.  That way, tblRoster could change periodically, and
tblStats could contain all the info for every game in each season.

What's confusing me is this.  The duplicate fields serve different purposes.
 Roster tells who's playing this season, while Stats holds the Players'
history over many seasons.  If Roster holds the player-related info, how does
one update it without affecting the history stored in Stats?

My searching has turned up two kinds of information: how to do what you
already know you need to do, and abstract theory on proper database design.
Both are important, but I think that what  I'm looking for falls in between
those two,

Thanks for your help!
Did you look at my response? The suggested tables store player stats over
the years. The key to understanding this is to recognize that RosterID
represents a specific member for a specific year and his stats for that year
are stored in TblPlayerStat.

Steve

>> If you
>> post what you have so far it may be possible to help steer you in the
>> right
>> direction.
>
> I hope this is what you were requesting.  If you were thinking of the
> actual
> mdb, I could post that, too, if you tell me how.  Here are the main tables
> with the fields they contain:
>
> tblPlayer
> ID
> Last
> First
> Birthday
> Address
> Phone
> Email
> Father
> Mother
> Paid
> Waiver
>
> tblRoster
> ID
> Player
> Jersey
> Team
> League
> Season
>
> tblStats
> ID
> Player
> Goals
> Assists
> Penalties
> PenaltyMinutes
> League
> Season
> Game
> Team
>
> Both Player fields link back to the ID, Last, and First (names) fields in
> the tblPlayers.  I've been trying to populate the corresponding fields in
> tblStats from tblRoster.  That way, tblRoster could change periodically,
> and
> tblStats could contain all the info for every game in each season.
>
> What's confusing me is this.  The duplicate fields serve different
> purposes.
> Roster tells who's playing this season, while Stats holds the Players'
> history over many seasons.  If Roster holds the player-related info, how
> does
> one update it without affecting the history stored in Stats?
>
> My searching has turned up two kinds of information: how to do what you
> already know you need to do, and abstract theory on proper database
> design.
> Both are important, but I think that what  I'm looking for falls in
> between
> those two,
>
> Thanks for your help!

0
Steve
2/17/2010 7:14:04 AM
You don't get it!! Arno R has no interest in the group. If he did, he would
spend his time helping posters rather than attacking me.

Steve

"BruceM via AccessMonster.com" <u54429@uwe> wrote in message
>I know what you said.  I read your full posting, and I responded as I did.
> repeat that the time to confront him is when he actually solicits.  There
> have been plenty of opportunities for that.  Pre-emptive attacks tend to
> come
> across as personal rather than in the interest of the group.
>
> Stop$teve wrote:
>>>I do not agree with your posting.  If Steve starts advertising you can
>>>reply
>>> then, but a pre-emptive attack is as unethical as advertising.
>>
>>As I said:
>>>oh yes... and sometimes he answers questions... indeed...
>>>and sometimes good souls here give him credit for that...
>>
>><sigh>
>>IMO we should ALL be attacking $teve in an attempt to finally get rid of
>>him...
>>
>>Regards, Arno R

Steve
2/17/2010 7:17:55 AM
An ID field that is used as a linking field is like an EmployeeID number.
You can move, change your name, go into a different departemnt, or whatever.
Through it all your payroll and other history is linked to your EmployeeID
only.  Most likely they don't store your name and so forth every time you get
paid.  They store just your EmployeeID, and link to the main Employee table
to display your name and other information as needed.  Likewise player
information exists in the Players table only.  Any other time you store the
Player information you store the single ID field.

Steve showed a table structure that is one way to proceed, given certain
assumptions (although I see no need for a Years table except as a lookup
table, and then only to store the four-digit year without a separate ID field)
0
BruceM
2/17/2010 12:46:55 PM
One of the data entry forms needed is to be able to enter TblRoster data for
a given year. This is done with a form/subform. The main form is based on
TblYear and the subform is based on TblRoster. A lot is accomplished doing
it this way. It removes the possibility of incorrectly entering HockeyYear
in TblRoster.
It gives you an efficient search for a selected year. It gives you a clean
way to delete all roster data for a selected year. Plus many other benefits.

Steve
santus@penn.com

> An ID field that is used as a linking field is like an EmployeeID number.
> You can move, change your name, go into a different departemnt, or
> whatever.
> Through it all your payroll and other history is linked to your EmployeeID
> only.  Most likely they don't store your name and so forth every time you
> get
> paid.  They store just your EmployeeID, and link to the main Employee
> table
> to display your name and other information as needed.  Likewise player
> information exists in the Players table only.  Any other time you store
> the
> Player information you store the single ID field.
>
> Steve showed a table structure that is one way to proceed, given certain
> assumptions (although I see no need for a Years table except as a lookup
> table, and then only to store the four-digit year without a separate ID
> field)

0
Steve
2/17/2010 5:27:14 PM
I don't know if you are responding to me or to the OP, but since you
responded directly to my posting I assume it is me.

Perhaps you didn't get that I was trying to get the OP to implement a small
piece of the design for starters.  I know that other forms are needed.  That
should be clear from my posting where I mentioned the next step.

I question the value of a one-field top-level table (Year).  I would argue
for a Year or SeasonStart field or some such thing in the Roster table.  Your
proposed table structure suggests that tblRoster is a junction table between
tblTeam and tblMember, which makes sense since a team rather than a year has
a roster.  It's hard to see how a table that links to tblYear and tblTeam is
going to help anything.  It's simple enough to restrict records to a single
year.

Steve wrote:
>One of the data entry forms needed is to be able to enter TblRoster data for
>a given year. This is done with a form/subform. The main form is based on
>TblYear and the subform is based on TblRoster. A lot is accomplished doing
>it this way. It removes the possibility of incorrectly entering HockeyYear
>in TblRoster.
>It gives you an efficient search for a selected year. It gives you a clean
>way to delete all roster data for a selected year. Plus many other benefits.
>
>Steve
>santus@penn.com
>
>> An ID field that is used as a linking field is like an EmployeeID number.
>> You can move, change your name, go into a different departemnt, or
>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> table, and then only to store the four-digit year without a separate ID
>> field)

BruceM
2/17/2010 6:57:56 PM
<<Your proposed table structure suggests that tblRoster is a junction table
between tblTeam and tblMember>>

Your analysis is incorrect! Read my first post and the note for TblRoster.
Read my last post for the reason to have TblYear. RosterID represents a
specific member on a specific team for a specific year.

>I don't know if you are responding to me or to the OP, but since you
> responded directly to my posting I assume it is me.
>
> Perhaps you didn't get that I was trying to get the OP to implement a
> small
> piece of the design for starters.  I know that other forms are needed.
> That
> should be clear from my posting where I mentioned the next step.
>
> I question the value of a one-field top-level table (Year).  I would argue
> for a Year or SeasonStart field or some such thing in the Roster table.
> Your
> proposed table structure suggests that tblRoster is a junction table
> between
> tblTeam and tblMember, which makes sense since a team rather than a year
> has
> a roster.  It's hard to see how a table that links to tblYear and tblTeam
> is
> going to help anything.  It's simple enough to restrict records to a
> single
> year.
>

> Steve wrote:
>>One of the data entry forms needed is to be able to enter TblRoster data
>>for
>>a given year. This is done with a form/subform. The main form is based on
>>TblYear and the subform is based on TblRoster. A lot is accomplished doing
>>it this way. It removes the possibility of incorrectly entering HockeyYear
>>in TblRoster.
>>It gives you an efficient search for a selected year. It gives you a clean
>>way to delete all roster data for a selected year. Plus many other
>>benefits.
>>
>>Steve
>>santus@penn.com
>>
>>> An ID field that is used as a linking field is like an EmployeeID
>>> number.
>>> You can move, change your name, go into a different departemnt, or
>>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>>> table, and then only to store the four-digit year without a separate ID
>>> field)

Steve
2/17/2010 7:25:32 PM
>Your analysis is incorrect!

Then explain to me the reason for linking fields to tblTeam and tblMember.

Oh, you could have a one-field top-level table for the Year, but it is a
stretch at best to argue that a Roster is an attribute of a Year.  From a
user interface point of view, would you have the user go to a Year record,
then select the Team?  That would be a pointless extra step.  I can think of
several ways to limit the recordset to the current year, or otherwise prevent
entries for the wrong year.

Steve wrote:
><<Your proposed table structure suggests that tblRoster is a junction table
>between tblTeam and tblMember>>
>
>Your analysis is incorrect! Read my first post and the note for TblRoster.
>Read my last post for the reason to have TblYear. RosterID represents a
>specific member on a specific team for a specific year.
>
>Steve
>
>>I don't know if you are responding to me or to the OP, but since you
>> responded directly to my posting I assume it is me.
>[quoted text clipped - 37 lines]

BruceM
2/17/2010 8:26:08 PM
He does help out, but he has to waste time keeping you in line.

John... Visio MVP
"Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in message
> You don't get it!! Arno R has no interest in the group. If he did, he
> would spend his time helping posters rather than attacking me.
>
> Steve

0
John
2/20/2010 6:39:00 AM
"Steve" wrote:
Did you look at my response? The suggested tables store player stats over
the years. The key to understanding this is to recognize that RosterID
represents a specific member for a specific year and his stats for that year
are stored in TblPlayerStat.

Yes, I did read your response.  In my post I was merely indicating what I
had done up to this point.  Both you and Bruce can clearly see to the heart
of my problem.  I'm not sure which of you has the "better" approach, but I'm
going to try to do both of them to help clarify it for me.  I'll let you know
when I get stuck again. :-)

Thanks a lot to both of you!

FIELDS NOT EDITABLE!
Hi, I have a problem. I know how to add a field but i dont know how I can make an existing field editable. If you look at a field like 'Price per Unit' in Opportunityproduct. You see that the price in the field can not be changed. There must be a way to change that. I already looked at the properties and i cant find nothing. Can somebody help me with this. S. Oumoulid ...

Adding and Linking Dates to Another Field
I have two (2) field in my form. Field 1 is called "Date" and field 2 is called "Due Date". I would like the "Due Date" field to automatically add 90 days from the "Date" field and have that updated in the "Due Date" field. I tried using the DateAdd function in the control box and also the default portion of the field. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, TomP For staters, change the name of the field you call Date. Date is an Access reserved word. Even when enclosing the name in brackets [Date], you can have problems. Wher...

Boot problem 03-04-10
I have a boot up problem with my xp pro. I shut my computer down at night and in the morning I get a grey screen at boot up, before anything shows. I can hear the computer going thru the startup process with nothing showing on the screen. After turning it on and off many times, including using a dos boot disc (which doesn't make a difference) it will finally boot. (a twenty-five minute process). Once it is running I am able to restart without any problem. It only happens after several hours of being shut down. I have run diagnostics on the hardware, monitor, graphics card and...

Pivot Table?
I need to be able to report on data within a spreadsheet and allow for this to be customisable by Month / Year. I thought that I could do this with a pivot table but i'm struggling. If I've basically got several rows containing the following data fields: Problem Ref:, Problem Description:, Date Raised: What I want to be able to do is @ the top level of the report - specify month / year raised, this will then filter all of the appropriate records underneath (all fields). Appreciate your help on this one - many thanks, Al Mackay ( mralmackay@aol.com ) So create your table, g...

Problem with msflxgrd.ocx in vista
Hi I have an access 2007 database ive made in Windows XP that uses msflxgrd.ocx for some activex elements. The customer has Vista and Access 2007 but whenever I try to open the form that has the FlexGrid it gives me object errors. Ive copied the msflxgrd.ocx from the Windows XP install to the Vista install but it doesnt seem to work. If i try and create a new control I get a License Error. help! How did you register it? I'm just starting to tackle Vista problems, but I believe you need to register it as admin. It's also not in the list of Vista's supported vb6.0 run...

Duplicates

Single continuous field in a report
Wonder if someone can advise. I'd like to take a single field from a query and have all the results printed continuously, each field separated by ; and nothing else (i.e. no spaces). What I'm trying to achieve in a rather "quick and dirty" manner is a listing of e-mail addresses that I can copy and paste into OE to send a large(ish) e-mail to an organisation's members without *too* much manual intervention. TIA BigAl BigAl wrote: >I'd like to take a single field from a query and have all the results >printed continuously, each field separated by ; a...

Publisher and tables #2
I am making a booklet. I am putting info in as a table and I need to know if there is a way to get my table to automatically continue on to the next page. No, Publisher hasn't this function. Word does... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kimmy" <Kimmy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DECEF3A8-23C9-41A6-8854-325677ECA48D@microsoft.com... >I am making a booklet. I am putting info in as a table and I need to know if > there is a way to get my table to automatically continue on ...

nested Serialization problems
I have a class derived from CObject class CStuff:public CObject { DECLARE_SERIAL(CStuff) public: CObArray m_SomeElements; unsigned int *nIntData; // this is an array of unsigned int; unsigned int m_nValue1, m_nValue2; CStringArray m_strArrayData; ................. ................. // and some member functions; virtual void Serialize(CArchive &ar); } The object m_SomeElements of the CObArray is populated if objects classes that are derived from CObject where the DECLARE_SERIAL and IMPLEMENT_SERIAL macros are specified as well. CStuff::Serialize(C...

Name Resolve in To Field
Outlook 2000 with SP3 on it. Am not able to have any of the email names that I sent resolve the next time I sent an email out. Example If I send and email to joe@abc.com, the next time I email and start typing jo, I should have all the names that start with j or jo resolve that were sent out. Not happing for this customer. Check the KB with no luck. Thanks CJR CJR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook 2000 with SP3 on it. Am not able to have any of > the email names that I sent resolve the next time I sent > an email out. Example If I send and emai...

Updateable Query problem in Windows 7
I'm using Office 2003 in a new windows 7 computer. I copied a database to the new computer from the server. When I try to run the following query, I get a "must use updateable query" error. UPDATE LowStockListQuery1B INNER JOIN NewList3 ON LowStockListQuery1B.number = NewList3.item SET NewList3.LowStk = Yes; LowStockListQuery1B : SELECT stock.distrib, supplier.name, stock.number, stock.desc, stock.low, stock.reordquant FROM stock LEFT JOIN supplier ON stock.distrib = supplier.code WHERE (((stock.distrib)=[Forms]![LLPage]![Combo8]) AND ((stock.low)<2) AND (...

Script execution problem
Hi all, I'm trying to install patches in PowerShell script. I'm using ([WMICLASS]"\root\cimv2:win32_process").create("cmd.exe /K `"c:\Hot_Fix_W2K8\Windows6.1-KB974431-x64.msu /quiet /norestart`" ") to install a patch. It works well for 1 patch but when I want to installe more patches, it failed becaus PowerShell lunch all CMD at the same time. Is there a way to force PowerShell to wait a command finish befor execute the next one ? Thank you, Olivier It's more of a problem with msiexec in that it returns immediately. Perha...

Recurring Transfer Payment
I have seen a lot of posts that are similar to my problem but none of them match exactly. I'm using MS Money 2003. I have been using Money for over 5 years now but I'm just now starting to use the budget feature. Here is the problem that I'm having. I deleted a $2500 recurring payment from my checking account to my credit card. When I run the budget reports, it shows a budgeted income of $2500 under "Transfers Into Budget Accounts". Is there any way to remove this from my budget reports? It is not income so it is very misleading. The report seemingly cannot be cus...

Problem recieving mail on Exchange Server 2003
A client is trying to send us an e-mail, but Exchange keeps dropping the connection. i have attached the SMTP logs - ip's & addresses removed. 2005-06-09 10:28:46 ---.---.---.--- ###.##.co.uk SMTPSVC1 ===-== ---.---.---.--- 0 EHLO - +###.##.co.uk 250 0 328 22 0 SMTP - - - - 2005-06-09 10:28:46 ---.---.---.--- ###.##.co.uk SMTPSVC1 ===-== ---.---.---.--- 0 MAIL - +FROM:<name@address> 250 0 45 32 0 SMTP - - - - 2005-06-09 10:28:46 ---.---.---.--- ###.##.co.uk SMTPSVC1 ===-== ---.---.---.--- 0 RCPT - +TO:<name@anotheraddress> 250 0 45 42 0 SMTP - - - - 2005-06-09 10:28:4...

Time field continues to show date
I have a time field which I have formatted to medium time eg 07:00 AM. This is OK until you click on it to edit the time, when the date continues to popup. In the time control's "on enter", "on click" and "before update" events I have set Me.time = Format(Me.time, "hh:nn"). This prevents the time from showing the date/time. However, the date/time continues to flick up every time you click on the field to change the time. It is driving me mad! Is there any way to fix this? Penstar wrote: > I have a time field which I have formatte...

MS Excel VBA Pivot table link cell fetch records
I have a table 'tbl_Final' in MS Access 2007 where the data is used and cached in a pivot table found in the 'Data' worksheet in MS Excel 2007. In this MS Excel 2007 workbook, I have various worksheets reports which links to the pivot table values found 'Data' worksheet. I linked formulae in one of the cells found the worksheet reports, looks like this: =GETPIVOTDATA("Amount",Data!$B$4,"Month", 2,"Year","2008","Scenario","Budget") Lets say the cell value total is: 1000 So, In pivot: 1000 ...

Changing the names of fields in tables after creating other object
I just leaned about the naming conventions after I have created my tables, reports and several queries. Can I change the name of fields in my tables (to remove the spaces and give them unique names ie not just last name but childlastname) without destroying the work I have done in queries, reports, and forms. Mary -- Positive Direction for Youth & Families, Inc. (www.pdfyinc.com) Possibly. If you are using a newer version of Access, say 2003 or 2007 AND you have Name Autocorrect, and all it's options, enabled, it MIGHT work. I found it somewhat buggy. Before you...

Receiving duplicate emails

Adding a formula to a pivot table
Hi, I have constructed a pivot table that summarises data from 11,000 rows. It works well enough but I have been asked to produce totals of certain data. There are 28 Companies in my 'Data' table, which contain applications for projects. Applications occur more than once but always belong to the same company. I can produce a pivot table to show applications by Company but how do I produce a pivot to count how many times a unique application occurs by Company. The best that I could achieve was to add a formula in the top row '=COUNTIF(B2:B10000,"*")', f...

Stumped with Exchange 2003 mailbox problem
I recently added a second Exchange 2003 server to our system and migrated 1/2 of our users to the new Exchange server. Some of the migrated mailboxes are ones that I have added to my Outlook 2007 in order to monitor. While these mailboxes were on the old server I had zero problems opening them. However, once they were moved to the new server, I can no longer open them. When I try I get an error message stating that the folder can not be expanded. I can find no reason for this issue. Suggestions? What am I missing? On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 11:05:01 -0700, Dave Kennedy <D...

Horseracing Problem
Although this is a horseracing problem, it could possibly be adapted from a financial (stocks/shares) problem. I have a spreadsheet that extracts data from the internet and displays the current horse odds on a worksheet in column E. I would like to copy this data and display/paste it in another workbork/worksheet. (I thought another workbook might be better in case the new coding interfered with the current code). I would also like to gather this data every 30/60 seconds (gathering of data timing is adjustable on the main workbook), and display each capture of data in a new column. Calcula...

Update and insert a Date into a field in sql
Hi, I have the following sql statement. 'now set follow up strsql1 = "UPDATE tblCustomerContacts " & _ " SET [Follow_Up] = " & Me![Follow_Up] & _ " WHERE [LineID] = " & Me!Customer_Contact_LineID 'Quotes this way as feild is numeric Debug.Print strsql Where Me![Follow_Up] is a date - short date The field that is being updated is also a date feild In the current format 25/06/2010 (25 June 2010) results in 30/12/1899 ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????? What is the cor...

Default field setting for cross tabs
Hi group, I am trying to figure something out for a friend. He is coding in VB and creating cross tabs. I'm not sure of the specifics, but when he pulls in a new field into the cross tab the default field setting is always "Count". However, it seems as if the field name begins with "TOTAL" it defaults to "Sum". Is that true? Is there a way to always set the default so that it is "Sum" instead of "Count"? Thanks!! - S If there's any non-numeric cells in that column (including text and empty cells), then you'll get Count. If...