Data Fields Changing

I have a Master Table in a Master DB linked to a few sub databases.  The
input forms (to update Master table) are in the sub databases based on
queries also in the sub db's.  The field names in the Master table change
names occasionally.  Is there an efficient way to update code in modules,
forms, and control/fields in the form(s) when the fields change in the Master
table.  I can update the control source/fields in the form for the new fld
names - but I noticed the old/previous field names still in the dropdown
window (at top left of Font window).  Also do I have to update all field
names in the code/modules and re-insert new fields on form?  Am I doing
un-necessary/extra work when the field names change or is there a more
efficient way to update or plan for field name changes?

Steve,

Though I am slightly confused by your meaning of *sub databases* I think
this will work for you...  http://www.rickworld.com/products.html  (Sorry
don't know of a free one that actually works).

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"Steve Stad" <SteveStad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Master Table in a Master DB linked to a few sub databases.  The
> input forms (to update Master table) are in the sub databases based on
> queries also in the sub db's.  The field names in the Master table change
> names occasionally.  Is there an efficient way to update code in modules,
> forms, and control/fields in the form(s) when the fields change in the
> Master
> table.  I can update the control source/fields in the form for the new fld
> names - but I noticed the old/previous field names still in the dropdown
> window (at top left of Font window).  Also do I have to update all field
> names in the code/modules and re-insert new fields on form?  Am I doing
> un-necessary/extra work when the field names change or is there a more
> efficient way to update or plan for field name changes?

0
Gina
1/13/2010 12:37:35 AM
Hi Steve,

     If the names of the table columns change, but that is all, then you
could simply hide the problem behind a query.  Make sure you have a backup of
the front end.  We are talking a front end here aren't we?  Create a new link
to the table and give it a new name.  Create a query that uses the new table
and aliases (renames) any columns as needed.  When you save it, save it as
the current table name.  Delete the old table link.  All should work as
before.  In the future when column names change, all you have to do is fix
the query.

     So if your original table link is "tblData" and its fields are Col1,
Col2 and Col3, you would create a new table link to it called something like
"tblTheData".  Then you would create a query named "tblData" that simple does
"select Col1, Col2, Col3 from tblTheData".  Then delete "tblData".  When the
back end "tblData" column names change to Fld1, Fld2 and Fld3, you update the
link to "tblTheData" and and then change the "tblData" query to be "select
Fld1 as Col1, Fld2 as Col2, Fld3 as Col3 from tblTheData".  And you are done.
Make sure you document that you are naming a query to look like a table.  Or
name the query "qryData" and then go through all of your code and queries and
forms and do a one-time replacement of "tblData" with "qryData".

        Hope that helps,

                   Clifford Bass

Steve Stad wrote:
>I have a Master Table in a Master DB linked to a few sub databases.  The
>input forms (to update Master table) are in the sub databases based on
>queries also in the sub db's.  The field names in the Master table change
>names occasionally.  Is there an efficient way to update code in modules,
>forms, and control/fields in the form(s) when the fields change in the Master
>table.  I can update the control source/fields in the form for the new fld
>names - but I noticed the old/previous field names still in the dropdown
>window (at top left of Font window).  Also do I have to update all field
>names in the code/modules and re-insert new fields on form?  Am I doing
>un-necessary/extra work when the field names change or is there a more
>efficient way to update or plan for field name changes?

Clifford

horizontal data to vertical data

Count Instances in a table field
Here's a little background on my database. I have a form with a couple of buttons that I have grayed out when the database is empty. These buttons open a print preview of a couple of reports. I would like to ungray these buttons only when there is at least one record with a "CA" entry in the State field in my main table. How do I do this? Forms display data from tables. I'm not understanding why you'd want a form to enable (ungray) a button if ANY record has a "CA" entry. Wouldn't you want to ungray the form if the record DISPLAYED had &q...

export public folder data?

changing character set of a dialog control
Does somebody know how can I dynamically change a character set that a control in my dialog uses? Thanks! >Does somebody know how can I dynamically change a >character set that a control in my dialog uses? I suspect you're looking for SetFont (WM_SETFONT) Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Hi, I tried the following: CFont font; VERIFY(font.CreateFont( 33, // nHeight 0, // nWidth 0, // nEscapement 0, // nOrientation FW_NORMAL, // nWeight...

storing read only data

How to organize data?

Pivot Chart-Page Fields
Hello, I have a pivot chart and table with multiple page fields. When hiding items in the page field, the pivot table shows "Multiple Items", but the pivot chart shows "All". This happens whether I double click on the page field and hide an item, or drag it to a row or column area and uncheck the item. I do not want to users or viewers to think they are seeing All when items are hidden. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Thanks for your help!!! I don't know of any way to change the Page field behaviour on the pivot chart. However, you could add a t...

A get/change operation on table 'IV_Options_ROPT' failed accessing
I get this error when I tried to print Inventory Activity Report. When I clicked on more info, it says "[ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name "LNGSTRTDESC'. It happened to me and the 'sa' account. Does anyone have a clue what happened and how to fix this? I searched on KnowledgeBase and did not find any article to address this problem. Mary, This error is occuring in Inventory Report Options Table and the column name where this is happening is Long Start Description. What I suggest you is to delete the Report option by going to Inventory Act...

Selecting specific data #2
Hi everyone I have another little problem. I have got a list of 20 items on sheet1, Cells A1 - A20 (numbered 1 - 20) and Cells B1 - B20 are items relating to that number, ie, number 1 = Concrete, number 2 = walls, and so on. Now on sheet 2 I have a table, again cell range A1:B20. I would like to know a formula so that when I enter a number in to column A, the corresponding item to that number appears in column B. ie, if I enter number 8 in Cell A1 on sheet 2, then I would like Floor to appear in Cell B1. Does this make sense? -- Thanks in advance for your help Lee Hi Lee Data range i...

What was your data migration experience for MS CRM 3.0?
Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or stored proceedures? What happened and how did you do it? Andy It's a bit unwieldy, but if you follow the documentation closely and do thorough tests it is a helpful tool. You should be prepared to do some extensive data cleansing and search the newsgroups when you hit a roadblock. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Andy" wrote: > Has anyone used DMF 3.0 to migrate data into CRM using its wizards or > stored proceedures? > > What happened and how did you do it? >...

Last Column With Data
How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has data? Dim myRow as long dim LastCol as long myrow = 1243 with worksheets("SomeSheetnamehere") lastcol = .cells(myrow,.columns.count).end(xltoleft).column end with msgbox LastCol This will break if you've used the last column in that row -- or if you haven't used any cells in that row. Is that a problem? Bishop wrote: > > How do I check a certain row to find out the last column in the row that has > data? -- Dave Peterson This gives a interger...

data file: how to start its application

changing from outlook express to outlook 2003
I am trying to change my default email program to outlook 2003. Imported addresses and mail without difficulty. I can not send or receive email now however. I get an error message that says something like "an object could not be found" error 0x8004010F. Any idea what the problem is? ...

merging data
I have a master file and 4 workbooks where individuals enter info daily. I need to update the master file workbook at the end of the day with the info from the 4 individual notebooks. How would I merge this data? I tried the "shared workbooks" process but it wouldn't let me do it. Please Help! Since your question is very "general", here's a "general" suggestion: Explore the use of links. Have all WBs open. Right click in a pertinent data cell of one of the 4 WBs, and choose "Copy". Navigate to the appropriate cell in the "Master&quo...

Vertical Data Extraction
Hi, I need to create a chart that is based on changing values. The Values are all stored vertically in a Worksheet called Percentage. The chart sheet contains a selection box where the user can select a specific search and a date and the selected conditions should be searched for and the chart should display results. Basically, when the user selects X in the first list box and Y in the second one, the code should search the Percentage worksheet for all instances of value=x and y and output. column Row Feature1 Feature2 Feature3 2000 0.5 8.3 10 2000 ...

Pie Chart from data
Hi, I am trying to create a pie chart from the below data just to show the percentages of what work orders are maj, med and min. How do I set this up!! Thanks in Advance!!! how can i create a pie char By following the directions within the Chart Wizard. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <9265C290-B0B6-4CAD-B909-5EDFCE7DC415@microsoft.com>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > how can i create a pie chart > > ...

How to Identify Changes In Two Work Sheets
I have two different dated inventory lists with 3,074 of identical line items. I want to determine the "items" that have "sold units" from two lists since they reflect ending inventory on separate dates. I want to create a new work sheet with those "items" only whose ending units are different from the units on the first ending report. The items are in the Desc 1 column in both work sheets along with their vendor code, size & quantity. Assume worksheet 1 is dated 10-18-06 and worksheet 2 is dated 10-22-06. Worksheet 1: Columns: C = VC (vendor code) , D...

Set description field value with onLoad event for email
Hi all, I=92ve wrote a script for onLoad event of email form. This script writes down some data in Description field. And it did it. But after that Description is empty again. It looks like the system clean this field after onLoad event has occurred. I=92ve tried to use this method for other fields of form and it worked fine. I have this problem only for Description field. Is it possible to solve it? I use the folowing method: crmForm.all.description.DataValue =3D "Data..."; Thanks in advance! Hi Aline, Try using a ForceSubmit to store the data in Description. crmForm.all.descri...

Varying data ranges
Hi, I am preparing a large number of identical reports on Excel fro imported data of varying sizes (e.g. some imported data is 400 row long, some 600, but all have the same number of columns). I hav recorded macros to take the data from its raw form to its complete form in order to releive the repetitive nature of this process, howeve the macro does not take into account the varying sizes of the raw data even when I use the Ctrl+Shft+End command. I am left with a lot o manual 'tidying up' of the reports after the macros have run. I have around 1,800 reports to complete so if ther...

changing data
Please can someone tell me how to do an automatic change all the way down a column. For example, i have a list of applications throughout a spreasheet as follows Approach, Eurosys, Oscar, Pivot_Pro Pivot_Pro, Oscar, Approach, i need to change exery occurance of Pivot_Pro to Pivot (Dual) how will i do this please help? Hi Press <Ctrl><H> In the find box, type in the existing name, in the change to box, type the new name, click on Change All, and its done -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "danzelindistress" wrote: &...

Baffled by missing data on printout
I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main form. I then save all that data into a local table, then read it back from a report. The report loads the same subforms which reload the data. All that is working fine on screen, and on print preview. Then, when sent to a printer, all te text boxes are blank! What could *possibly* cause this? I switched printers, used a pdf output printer (save to disk in PDF), and with same results. Any ideas? Rick wrote: > I have a bunch of subforms that the user will fill out from a main > form. I then save all t...