Can't insert columns into my access db

I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be
able to insert a 6th column.  i can do it on the front end but it doesn't
save to the db?

You must change table design in the back end.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Rob" wrote:

> I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be
> able to insert a 6th column.  i can do it on the front end but it doesn't
> save to the db?
Access is not like a spreadsheet where you can insert columns (in Access they
are called 'Fields') at any time.  You have to modify the table structure.

How were you attempting to insert a 'field'?  What were you viewing when you
tried?

--
Build a little, test a little.

"Rob" wrote:

> I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be
> able to insert a 6th column.  i can do it on the front end but it doesn't
> save to the db?
Rob

Are you saying that you want your USERS to be able to add a column (via the
front-end interface)?  If so, other responders have already pointed out that
Access is not a spreadsheet.

If you (and your users) want to get the best out of Access'
relationally-oriented features/functions, you can't feed it 'sheet data.
Access is optimized for well-normalized data.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Rob" <Rob @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a db with 5 columns and i want my front end interface to be
> able to insert a 6th column.  i can do it on the front end but it doesn't
> save to the db?

0
Jeff

adding space between columns in a chart
I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. have you tried having an empty cell in your data series for the space? "merritaf" wrote: > I am trying to customize a chart and I need to have a group of three lines > (for pre-test days) then a space followed by a single line for the test day. > I need to be able to accomplish this but also have a legend for these. ...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Linking a Column List to a Row List #2
Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly -- Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Moe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1250 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27428 ...

Outlook blocking access to other programes such as ACT
HI, Deos anyone know how to disable the new security feature in Outlook that stops other programes such as ACT from using outlook to send e-mail? Currently outlooks pops up a dialog box requiring user input but our system sychronizes overnight and this new feature stops that function. No, you need to visit your programs's support page to get an update. See this page for some programs that have been updated: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert l...

Missing columns when cut to word
I am looking for a way to cut/paste from excel into a word doccumen that does not limit the # of columns that will transfer over. An suggestions ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Insert trigger

inserting hrs and minutes

Separating Names in a Column to Two Columns
I need to export a great deal of data, where the last and first names need to exist in two separate columns, i.e., Doe, Jane to Doe Jane Is there any way to accomplish without retyping? Thanks, D Look at Data>Text to columns in the main menu -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "donniebrook" <donniebrook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D776196-B5E8-49DA-A5B1-BA0D45ACF0FE@microsoft.com... >I need to export a great deal of data, where the last and first names need >to > exist in two separate columns, i.e...

design access
Hello everyone, I have a table tblOrders CustomerName DateOrder RefNo Amount Status primary key: RefNo Field type: Status - check box I have a table tblPayments CustName Datepaid PaidRef AmntPaid primary key: PaidRef can anyone help me figure out how can I design my query and my form/subform that when in my tblPayment field name AmntPaid equals to tblOrder field name Amount, access will automaitcally set the field name Status to Yes. please can anyone help me. thanks in advance, i appreciate hi, On 09.03.2010 11:21, Revned wrote: > can anyone ...

Excel Query to Access Database Locks Users
We have one computer on our network of computer using Office 2007, the rest Office 2003. When the 2007 version is in a Excel query pulling from the network database it locks the database. Any way to solve that? ...

missing columns
Please help, I have an a 11 column spreadsheet, I need to copy this into a powerpoint presentation but when I copy it onto a blank sheet the last 2 columns are not transferred. I tried to copy the blank form and it went ok but after putting text in it does not work. Please explain a cure in simple terms. Thanks in advance PowerPoint has its limitation when it comes to copying an Excel table or chart. Here is a link that will explain a lot better than me. http://www.rdpslides.com/pptfaq/FAQ00068.htm HTH Gilles Desjardins "greg" <greg@ford .com> wrote in message news:bonmo...

Outlook Blocking Access
My Outlook 2003 is blocking access to many normal webpages. Where do I change the setting. The Security tab doesn't seem to do it. Thanks!!! ...

Insert with a where condition

How to copy specific columns until end of data
I'm trying to import data from 2 workbooks into a summary (combination) workbook. The trouble I'm having, is I want to import only certain columns and have excel know to stop at the last row with data. For example, from Workbook1 I want to import columns A, B, C, F, and G (from Sheet2). I want it to copy up to the last row containing any data--right now that's row 1046, but next month it could be row 1267. In workbook2 I'm fine with it copying the CurrentRegion--all columns are important. BUT, it doesn't include the title/category heads in the first row (Salesperson, ...

Access 2000 deleting records
Hello all, sorry for the previous post with nothing in it. Here is the problem I have resently upgraded an Access97 back end to Access 2000 due to size restrictions of Access97. we were running an Access 2000 frontend at that time. since converting to Access2k we keep getting "#Deleted" records "Can't save without edit or new" fields inside of records are "#deleted" and so on. I have run diags on equipment and found nothing out of the norm. Problem is intermittent, may go most of day without problem then get some or may start the day out with problem th...

Insert

My columns are numbers too!!!
My comulmns are not letters anymore....they are numbers. What did I do, and how can I change it back? Richard Go to Tools / Options / General and uncheck R1/C1 reference style Andy. "Richard G" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73f501c4020b$28d0b9c0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > My comulmns are not letters anymore....they are numbers. > What did I do, and how can I change it back? Andy, Thanks. That was driving me crazy! Richard >-----Original Message----- >Richard > >Go to Tools / Options / General and uncheck R1/C1 reference ...

how to insert data in a table

How to detect changes in a column?
If I have a table with sales forecast data (columns) like Customer, Amount and Status, what would be the best way to track changes in this table so I can compare my forecast week after week? -- inomata ------------------------------------------------------------------------ inomata's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18938 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=493571 ...

insert downloads into power point

Insert dataset to another database