Beginner - 3 tables in 3 loops

Hi !

I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought I
passed the first lessons)
I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
entries for a table)
I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
Like that:

Year:
etc.

   Plant:
   plant_1
   plant_2
   plant_3
   etc.

      Generator:
      gen_1
      gen_2
      gen_3
      etc.

So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant
it must exist some Generators.
I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
So, few questions arise:

1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for database)
?
2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
tables ?

That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
comparison, etc.
So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done
for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.

Thanks in advance for help !

0
dsasorin

dsasorin,

Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
possibly two tables.  I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years.  Sounds like you
need a *joiner* table.

tblPowerPlants
pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
etc...

tblGenerators
gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
etc...

tblPowerPlantGenerators
ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)

tblPowerPlantYears
ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
ppgYear (Combo Box with years)

If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
precise answer.  I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
for?  Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

"dsasorin" <u58852@uwe> wrote in message news:a5427d702fbf8@uwe...
[...]

Gina
3/19/2010 10:08:28 PM
I hope u need data for all tables.

1) You can go thru all tables and data with 1 loop if you do join all tables
in 1 singel select.

2) If the select is manually written it can be like this:
SELECT *
FROM YEAR,
          PLANT,
          GENERATOR
WHERE PLANT.FK = YEAR PK
     AND GENERATOR FK = PLANT.PK

PK = Primary key,  FK = foriegn key
You will have 1 row for each unik kombination.

"dsasorin" skrev:

> Hi !
>
> I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought I
> passed the first lessons)
> I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
> entries for a table)
> I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
> Like that:
>
> Year:
> 2000
> 2001
> 2002
> 2003
> etc.
>
>    Plant:
>    plant_1
>    plant_2
>    plant_3
>    etc.
>
>       Generator:
>       gen_1
>       gen_2
>       gen_3
>       etc.
>
> So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant
> it must exist some Generators.
> I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
> So, few questions arise:
>
> 1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for database)
> ?
> 2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
> tables ?
>
> That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
> comparison, etc.
> So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done
> for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.
>
> Thanks in advance for help !
>
> .

The goal is to make a growing database (a programm) with inputs like
year2010/powerplant 3/generator1/ .... or year 2012/powerplant7/generator3
and so on ...

Then, the programm must have a simple user interface with those inputs. In
the database tables i must asign diferent numbers (points) on specific tasks
of the generator for example, and after a logical comparison and arithmetic
calculations, it must result a number of points. So i need to input/select
new data, to see/select old data, and after that i need a result (number of
points) which coresponds to a certain ANSWER, introduced in the very
beginning of the database (i.e. THE GENERATOR IS GOOD), also a table, i think.

So, the purpose of the database is to find the state of the generator, based
on the actions or the maintenance work made on each generator from database,
and a new one.
The criteria is based on those points and arithmetic calculations.

Thank you for interest.

Gina Whipp wrote:
>dsasorin,
>
>Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
>possibly two tables.  I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
>say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years.  Sounds like you
>need a *joiner* table.
>
>tblPowerPlants
>pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblGenerators
>gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblPowerPlantGenerators
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
>ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>
>tblPowerPlantYears
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>ppgYear (Combo Box with years)
>
>If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
>precise answer.  I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
>for?  Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?
>
>Hi !
>
>I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought
>passed the first lessons)
>I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
>entries for a table)
>I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
>Like that:
>
>Year:
>2000
>2001
>2002
>2003
>etc.
>
>   Plant:
>   plant_1
>   plant_2
>   plant_3
>   etc.
>
>      Generator:
>      gen_1
>      gen_2
>      gen_3
>      etc.
>
>So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant
>it must exist some Generators.
>I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
>So, few questions arise:
>
>1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for
>database)
>?
>2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
>tables ?
>
>That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
>comparison, etc.
>So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done
>for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.
>
>Thanks in advance for help !

dsasorin
3/21/2010 12:28:42 AM
I forgot that you put me a simple question.  My first lessons were like this
(Access 2003): What is a database ? The components of a database (the objects)
. How to sort data in tables ? and thinks like that ...

Gina Whipp wrote:
>dsasorin,
>
>Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
>possibly two tables.  I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
>say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years.  Sounds like you
>need a *joiner* table.
>
>tblPowerPlants
>pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblGenerators
>gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblPowerPlantGenerators
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
>ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>
>tblPowerPlantYears
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>ppgYear (Combo Box with years)
>
>If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
>precise answer.  I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
>for?  Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?
>
>Hi !
>
>I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought
>passed the first lessons)
>I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
>entries for a table)
>I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
>Like that:
>
>Year:
>2000
>2001
>2002
>2003
>etc.
>
>   Plant:
>   plant_1
>   plant_2
>   plant_3
>   etc.
>
>      Generator:
>      gen_1
>      gen_2
>      gen_3
>      etc.
>
>So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power Plant
>it must exist some Generators.
>I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
>So, few questions arise:
>
>1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for
>database)
>?
>2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
>tables ?
>
>That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
>comparison, etc.
>So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be done
>for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.
>
>Thanks in advance for help !

dsasorin
3/21/2010 12:40:02 AM
Abki, please forgive me, but i don't understand your answer. Maybe because
i'm a beginner in Access. I don't know how to join tables nor to manually
writte a select. Maybe you get a picture for what i want to do, from my other
answer to Gina Whipp. Thank you too.

Abki wrote:
>I hope u need data for all tables.
>
>1) You can go thru all tables and data with 1 loop if you do join all tables
>in 1 singel select.
>
>2) If the select is manually written it can be like this:
>SELECT *
>FROM YEAR,
>          PLANT,
>          GENERATOR
>WHERE PLANT.FK = YEAR PK
>     AND GENERATOR FK = PLANT.PK
>
>PK = Primary key,  FK = foriegn key
>You will have 1 row for each unik kombination.
>
>"dsasorin" skrev:
>
>> Hi !
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]
>>
>> .

dsasorin
3/21/2010 12:51:04 AM
dsasorin,

Okay, that didn't get me the answer needed, so let's try this...

1. Is a Powerplant always going to have the same Generator?
2. Do you put in dates when you enter the activities?
3. Where are the activities entered?
4. Where is the data you do the calculations on, is it in a table?

You are concentrating on the how the data will look instead of how to store
the data.  It's like buying tires before you buy the vehicle.  You need to
buy the vehicle first... or build your tables first.

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

Gina Whipp wrote:
>dsasorin,
>
>Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
>possibly two tables.  I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
>say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years.  Sounds like you
>need a *joiner* table.
>
>tblPowerPlants
>pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblGenerators
>gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblPowerPlantGenerators
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
>ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>
>tblPowerPlantYears
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>ppgYear (Combo Box with years)
>
>If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
>precise answer.  I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
>for?  Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?
>
>Hi !
>
>I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought
>passed the first lessons)
>I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
>entries for a table)
>I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
>Like that:
>
>Year:
>2000
>2001
>2002
>2003
>etc.
>
>   Plant:
>   plant_1
>   plant_2
>   plant_3
>   etc.
>
>      Generator:
>      gen_1
>      gen_2
>      gen_3
>      etc.
>
>So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power
>Plant
>it must exist some Generators.
>I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
>So, few questions arise:
>
>1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for
>database)
>?
>2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
>tables ?
>
>That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
>comparison, etc.
>So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be
>done
>for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.
>
>Thanks in advance for help !

Gina
3/21/2010 12:58:23 AM
dsasorin,

Oh okay.. was just curious.  But it is interesting that you didn't mention
Data Normalization and Data Modeling, do they teach that?

--

Gina Whipp wrote:
>dsasorin,
>
>Well, at least one of those tables is wrong and you are missing one,
>possibly two tables.  I am not totally clear what you are doing but I can
>say this... it seems odd that you need a table for years.  Sounds like you
>need a *joiner* table.
>
>tblPowerPlants
>pPowerPlantID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblGenerators
>gGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>etc...
>
>tblPowerPlantGenerators
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (PK - Autonumber)
>ppgPowerPlantID (FK - Long)
>ppgGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>
>tblPowerPlantYears
>ppgPowerPlantGeneratorID (FK - Long)
>ppgYear (Combo Box with years)
>
>If you explain your purpose a little more it would help to give you a more
>precise answer.  I also don't understand the *looping*, what are the loops
>for?  Out of curiousity, what were the first lessons?
>
>Hi !
>
>I am a beginner to databeses, and particulary to MS Access 2003. (althought
>passed the first lessons)
>I want to make a small database with possibility to grow up. (max. 100
>entries for a table)
>I think that in my case the data must be structured like loop into loop.
>Like that:
>
>Year:
>2000
>2001
>2002
>2003
>etc.
>
>   Plant:
>   plant_1
>   plant_2
>   plant_3
>   etc.
>
>      Generator:
>      gen_1
>      gen_2
>      gen_3
>      etc.
>
>So for every Year it must exist some Power Plants, and for every Power
>Plant
>it must exist some Generators.
>I already have made 3 tables: YEAR, PLANT, GENERATOR with data in it.
>So, few questions arise:
>
>1. Is my algorithm any good (to consider 3 loops one in another for
>database)
>?
>2. If my algorithm is good, how should it be done the relationship between
>tables ?
>
>That is for start. Later i must make queries, input data, some logical
>comparison, etc.
>So i must do right from the beginning. I admit that my database must be
>done
>for 8 loops, not 3, but if i understand for 3, the same it will be for 8.
>
>Thanks in advance for help !

Gina
3/21/2010 12:59:53 AM
Gina,

More from my EE background than my (much less than yours) database
background,  I think that the generators are handled as one-of-a-kind items,
not a list of types that would get used multiple times.     Each
instance/installation  of a  "generator" is typically a $xxx,xxx,xxx.xx
multi-year construction project.    If so, then "Generator #1" is just half
of the name given to a particular generator.  The full name might be Plant
#5-generator #1    If that were true, IMHO a junction table would not be
appropriate.

-  -  -

In order to have a good database, or to explain enough to us to help, you
are going to have to start with deciding upon what the entities are that you
are going to database, and what the mission that you want it to accomplish
is.  Do this without using any database terminology.

IF (and I emphasize IF, because we don't know that) you main mission were to
track and completed maintenance, then instance of required-then-completed
maintenance would be your main table.   In that case the year and or date
would be merely a field,     If my guess address to Gina were right, you
would probably have a table with listings of your individual generators.  The
plant # might be just half of the name of that generator, or an attribute of
that generator.

Again, these are just guesses.  You'll have to tell us more to get a real
answer.

Hope that helps a little.

Ooops.  The second part was supposed to be addressed to the OP :

To: Dsasorin:

> In order to have a good database, or to explain enough to us to help, you
> are going to have to start with deciding upon what the entities are that you
> are going to database, and what the mission that you want it to accomplish
> is.  Do this without using any database terminology.
>

> IF (and I emphasize IF, because we don't know that) you main mission were to
> track and completed maintenance, then instance of required-then-completed
> maintenance would be your main table.   In that case the year and or date
> would be merely a field,     If my guess address to Gina were right, you
> would probably have a table with listings of your individual generators.  The
> plant # might be just half of the name of that generator, or an attribute of
> that generator.
>
> Again, these are just guesses.  You'll have to tell us more to get a real
> answer.
>
> Hope that helps a little.

Fred,

Thanks for explaining that... now if I could just the OP to explain more
we'd be set!

--
Gina Whipp
2010 Microsoft MVP (Access)

II

#5-generator #1    If that were true, IMHO a junction table would not be
appropriate.

-  -  -

[...]

Validating Field data within a Table
Hi I have a Table "Tbl_Log_Receipt" which has a field where the user must input his unique Id, this field is named "User_ID" I want the user to enter his ID in this field and if the entry does not match a record within another table called Tbl_Users, it will display a warning message and blank his entry. Is this possible?? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Joe Rather than make the user key in an id, why not pick up his/her network ID and use that? There's code in http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0008.htm at "The Access Web" to let you get that ...

How to merge to tables (
Good morning everyone! My financial system's database (general ledger) keeps seperate tables for each year. Each table (GL2007, GL2008 etc) has 14 fields: * Account_number, Cost_account, January_balance, February_balance,...,December_balance Now, I have not encountered this before but I did make some calculations and then merged this two tables into 1 table with 26 fields (12 + 12 months + Account_number and Cost_account). My question: HOW do change this summary table into one table with 5 fields (account_number, cost_account, year, month, balance). For example: 3010, 10, 2007, J...

Best way to add tables?
It seems difficult to draw precise tables in Pub 2002. Word offers more flexibility, but when I use Paste or Paste Special into Pub all formatting is lost, and it's time consuming to reformat everything. Is there a best way to do this? Doug Have you tried the "Import Word Document" from file? Once the document is in Publisher, select the table, copy, paste special, new table. Delete the Word document. You shouldn't lose formatting. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Doug" <doug@loc...

Unable to bring back all results from table with query
For a uni assignment we have a designated query that we have to create. But when I run the query, I get one result returned to me. I should have two returned to me, as I have two records in the Problem table. The SQL is:- SELECT Problem.[Problem Number], User.[User ID], User.[User Name], User.[Job Title], User.Email, User.[Telephone No], Asset.[Asset Code No], Problem.[Problem Description], Problem.[Current Activity Log], Problem.[Solution Description] FROM [User] INNER JOIN ((Asset INNER JOIN Problem ON Asset.[Asset Code No] = Problem.[Asset Code No]) INNER JOIN [Contact Log]...

capitalization table
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am looking for a free template to create a capitalization table for my business. Where can I find one? <br> Thanks <br> PAV Office online: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC103363671033.aspx On 21/04/10 5:58 AM, in article 59bb731f.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "PAV@officeformac.com" <PAV@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am > looking for a free template to create a capitalization table for...

Pivot table formatting
I have a pivot table that pulls its source data from another worksheet in the same workbook. I have some columns that have "x" in them and also some columns that have dates. I have formatted both the source data and the pivot table to center the columns with "x" and use date format 1/4/03. When I refresh the pivot table, it seems to randomize the formatting. Some of my "x" cells are centered and some are left justified. Also, some of my dates are 1/4/03 and some are 1/4/2003. How can I get the formatting to stay? Thanks for any help. Set the pivot table t...

Is there help for beginners?
I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft Outlook came with it. I cannot figure out how to use it! I can get email, but I cannot send it! It stays in the Outbox forever, and when I try to send it from there, I'm told it's not possible. Aren't there any beginner tutorials I can look at? I really could use some help! Thanks! -- drexlori In news:A1E6C03C-FCA4-4125-B97A-B4515798D670@microsoft.com, drexlori <drexlori@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I just bought this wonderful computer from Dell, and Microsoft > Outlook came with it. I cannot...

CT Tables
I've several of tables loaded into my company database. I am looking at these tables and they have some interesting fields. Can anyone tell me what modules these tables are for? I cannot find any information on these tables in GP tables description. They all start with CT. CT00001 CT00002 CT00003 CT00004 CT00005 CT00102 CT00200 CT40401 Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks, VJ These tables do not appear to be native to Great Plains, unless they are new to version 8. What third party products do you have installed along with Great Plains? Any developer worth his salt would ...

updating pivot table #2
I have pivot tables that I update weekly with new data. Unfortunately, the prior week's options are included in the updated drop down lists. The old data is not included in the calculations so it doesn't affect the report in that regard but although I only have 18 weeks of data in the source worksheet, the drop-down lists show the 32 weeks I have been running the report as options. It is confusing to users of the report. There's information here on clearing old items in a pivot table: http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html Gibran wrote: > I have pivot table...

Grouping dates in pivot table
I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table. Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. This is a field I would like to group by in the pivottable. I am aware of all the techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly from a sql query. I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent formats with no success. Any insights into this would be appreciated. Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell and paste sp...

formatting inside table/text box in form
I have a form that asks users for several types of information, mostly in the form of drop down boxes. But there are some fields that require text and the user needs to be able to add bulleted text if necessary. I cannot find a way to protect this document without the bullet option graying out. Can someone help? Kit In a protected document, you cannot apply formatting to text. What you can do is add a section to the document and leave it unprotected. In such a section, users will be able to format text more freely. In Word 2007, you are limited to applying styles via the...

Help for a Beginner Among Beginners
Hello, would anyone kindly point me in the general direction of a solution to a very basic database question (I'm not even sure where to ask)? I have a small consulting company of a dozen employees, with no IT dept. We have info from approx 1000 clients stored in an Access 2000 database which is 10MB in size. A former employee made a simple form, which we populate with client info, and we just add records. The file is on a file server, and all 12 of us access it simultaneously. Recently, I hired a guy to setup a VPN, so that employees can add data to the database while on the road. Howeve...

Export a Table to a Text File
How do I export a Table to a text file? I need Fixed with and have a import specification. I can import from a text file to a table but now I need the other way. I have the table ready using queries and all I need is this last step. Create a macro with the TransferText action. It's quite easy to set the options in the lower pane of the macro design window. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Lillian" <libertysmith10@yahoo.com> wro...

Earn $200 per day without a website
Tired of wasting your time & hard earned money on "intelligent" programs which promise to make you rich overnight? Then read on, because I am going to show you............. How I made over $2000 in just 10 days using a ridiculously stupid technique I stole from my own affiliate Click the following link to see the entire procedure explained step-by- step. http://www.showroute.com/odp I Got MY Own ATM. J http://www.showroute.com/odp Wilson. ...

pivot table help? #2
I need some help with an issue I cannot seem to solve! I have a pivot table in Excel that is based off of a data input sheet. The data changes every month and the pivot table is always linked to the specific data tab. When the underlying data changes, the "old data" still displays as options to check in the pivot table. The refresh option does not seem to fix this, nor does the "Save data with table layout" option. I only want the options to check to be current data. For example, my data sheet only has data for July and August, but the pivot table has options ...

How do I combine 2 tables?
I have 2 tables in a database. Each table has 1 data field, "Slot", in common with the other. How do I create a new table or query that combines data in one table with data in the other table based on the slot number? In other words I have the following information: Table 1 Table 2 A 1 2 3 4 A 4 7 2 9 B 3 5 1 3 B 4 9 1 2 C 0 7 8 3 C 5 1 4 2 Where the capital letter is the data for the slot field, the desired result is a new table or query that looks like this: Table 3 A 1 2 3 4 4 7 2 9 B 3 5 1 3 4 9 1 2 C 0 7 8 3 5 1 4 2 I am new to this so ...

Excel 2003-Beginner
I'm using Excel 2003. Sorry, I'm if not explaining this well. I'm trying to put information in a column that comes from another worksheet in the same book but it depends on what is entered in 2 other columns in the first worksheet. I'll try to give complete info: Let's say Column A asks you to pick 1 of 5 gems: Agate, Turquoise, Garnet, Diamond, Pearl Let's say Column B asks you to pick 1 of 6 Countries: US, Can, UK, China, Japan, Germany The other worksheet has a table with data (its a number in each cell) representing all the possible permutatio...

Creating a Lookup Table
I'm going to create a lookup table for my charting application. There aren't going to be very many items in this table, most likely less than a 100. For the majority, no more than 20 items. This table is to hold a symbol reference for the charts the user creates. For example, say the user is viewing a chart of Cotton. How this chart is actually named will be different for each user as they can name it whatever they want. So what I want to do is give the user the ability to assign the symbol (CT) to any chart that refers to Cotton. This way, when the user pulls up a chart of...

Beginner Here!
Hello, I'm looking for decent internet resources to learn how to use Great Plains software. I'm a VB developer starting a new job with a company that uses GP, but I've never used it. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason Jason, Your best bet is to read through the manuals that come on the Great Plains cd. Then log into the sample company and try each transaction type, report option etc. It's just sample data so you can't hurt anything. This hands on approach is the best way to learn the system. We provide personlized one on one training via r...

Table Information
I'm trying to use Crystal Reports to pull data from GP v8, however finding the correct table is difficult. If there is a report in GP already made, how can i find out which tables the fields link to? Rod, A little of a wide open question there. Can you be more specific? What report are you trying to produce? A report in GP already made for what? You can find table information and field information under File > Resource Descriptions, and can find table relationship information in the Software Development Kit. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Bu...

Pivot table subtotals 100%
This is what I want: Apples ...

table of contents
I am trying to build a table of contents from the headings in my employee handbook. I have heard that this is possible, and if I change the content of the handbook, the page numbers, etc. will automatically update. What is the process to accomplish this? I would appreciate any insight given. Thanks! ...

recreating ME tables and stored procedures
Hello: Whenever a client is performing such tasks as voiding payables checks, he will receive an error message saying somethng along the lines of "a get/change" or "an open operation" on table 'ME......'" cannot find the table or cannot find the stored procedure. Now, thanks to the "More Info" button on these error messages, you get the name of the table and stored procedure. So, the short-term fix is to go into the SQL Maintenance window and easily create the table and stored procedure. Fortunately, these errors are just "nuisances&quo...

Pasting Access table into Excel; can't use SUM function
We have 200+ Oracle database tables that we use to create queries and make tables. We create select queries on a daily basis that are comprised of approx. 8,000 to 14,000 records. We usually take this information and paste it into Excel for analysis. Recently, we upgraded from NT 4.0 WS to XP Pro. We noticed that when we now paste our information into excel, the formatting is changed. Numbers that we could easily SUM before, no longer respond to the sum function. When we use the SUM function, the function does not recognize the cell as a number and responds with '0'. When...

Access Smartlist tables
Is it possible to see the tables in the basic Smartlist queries? For example in the Company Module under Tax Detail Transactions can you see that table or tables that SL references? I am using GP 10 SP3. Thx in Advance Jim, On Disc 2 of the install CDs, in the Tools>Dex>Doc>PDF folder, there=92s a file called IG.pdf, which is the Dexterity Integration Guide. There=92s a section called SmartList Objects which contains a cross reference of all the tables and joins used in the standard SmartLists. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dyn...