Auto Increment by 1 Letter

Simple question, hope I can get an answer....
Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming
inventory.  Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is
assigned
a unique 3 letter value.  We started with AAA.  What I need to know is once I
enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to
the
next sequence of letters.  Example, yesterday we received in.  The last
series
of letters I used was BHV.  So today, when I receive in, I want the product
automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on.  After I use BHZ my
next sequence would be BIA.  Ultimately when I get to BZZ, my next sequence
would be CAA and so on....
Do you think you can help me figure out how to do this?

Sorry, I was assuming you knew how to write Access code.
You will need to create a VB function to perform this task.
I don't have much time now as I have to go to a meeting, look for a response
in around an hour unless someone else chimes in first...

-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Cinquefoil22" wrote:

> ok, but where am i typing the string at?  I think, honestly, I am just
> confused all the way around on what you are telling me to do....
> Sorry...
>
> "Dorian" wrote:
>
> > Its pretty easy to do. Set up a string with all letters in sequence with an
> > extra A at end.
> > Dim strAB = "A........ZA"
> > Then you use INSTR function (look in HELP for details) to locate the letter
> > and then just add 1 to position to the next one.
> > You will have to check when last letter goes from Z to A since that will
> > trigger the same logic for the second letter. Same for the second letter
> > changing from Z to A triggers changing the first letter.
> > -- Dorian
> > "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> > eat for a lifetime".
> >

> > "Cinquefoil22" wrote:
> >
> > > Simple question, hope I can get an answer....
> > > Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming
> > > inventory.  Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is
> > > assigned
> > > a unique 3 letter value.  We started with AAA.  What I need to know is once I
> > > enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to
> > > the
> > > next sequence of letters.  Example, yesterday we received in.  The last
> > > series
> > > of letters I used was BHV.  So today, when I receive in, I want the product
> > > automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on.  After I use BHZ my
> > > next sequence would be BIA.  Ultimately when I get to BZZ, my next sequence
> > > would be CAA and so on....
> > > Do you think you can help me figure out how to do this?

I am so sorry to pick at your brain here...
I went to visual basic, selected the module icon and copied your formula
into it and saved it as Trace Code...
Now what do i do?
LOL, i am so confused right now and truly appreciate your help...

"Dorian" wrote:

> Here is function:
>
> Public Function Encode(strCode As String) As String
>    Dim strAB As String, c1 As String, c2 As String, c3 As String
>    Dim p As Integer
>    strAB = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZA"
>    c1 = Left$(strCode, 1)   'first letter
>    c2 = Mid$(strCode, 2, 1) 'middle letter
>    c3 = Right$(strCode, 1)  'right letter
>    ' Increment last letter
>    p = InStr(strAB, c3)
>    c3 = Mid$(strAB, p + 1, 1)
>    If c3 = "A" Then
>       ' Increment middle letter
>       p = InStr(strAB, c2)
>       c2 = Mid$(strAB, p + 1, 1)
>       If c2 = "A" Then
>          ' Increment first letter
>          p = InStr(strAB, c1)
>          c1 = Mid$(strAB, p + 1, 1)
>       End If
>    End If
>    Encode = c1 & c2 & c3
> End Function
>
> Put this in your modules then you can call it from your form.
> You pass this function the existing 3-letter code and it returns the next
> one in sequence. Once it reaches ZZZ it goes back to AAA.
>
> -- Dorian
> "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> eat for a lifetime".
>

> "Cinquefoil22" wrote:
>
> > ok, but where am i typing the string at?  I think, honestly, I am just
> > confused all the way around on what you are telling me to do....
> > Sorry...
> >
> > "Dorian" wrote:
> >
> > > Its pretty easy to do. Set up a string with all letters in sequence with an
> > > extra A at end.
> > > Dim strAB = "A........ZA"
> > > Then you use INSTR function (look in HELP for details) to locate the letter
> > > and then just add 1 to position to the next one.
> > > You will have to check when last letter goes from Z to A since that will
> > > trigger the same logic for the second letter. Same for the second letter
> > > changing from Z to A triggers changing the first letter.
> > > -- Dorian
> > > "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> > > eat for a lifetime".

What version of Access are you using? I use Access 2003, I do not have
ability to use the later versions. There should be an option like Tables,
Forms, Queries, Reports and Modules. You need to create a new module and
place the function in there. You could also put the module in the form that
will use it. You have to go into Forms, select your form, choose Design and
then View--Code.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Cinquefoil22" wrote:

> ok, but where am i typing the string at?  I think, honestly, I am just
> confused all the way around on what you are telling me to do....
> Sorry...
>
> "Dorian" wrote:
>
> > Its pretty easy to do. Set up a string with all letters in sequence with an
> > extra A at end.
> > Dim strAB = "A........ZA"
> > Then you use INSTR function (look in HELP for details) to locate the letter
> > and then just add 1 to position to the next one.
> > You will have to check when last letter goes from Z to A since that will
> > trigger the same logic for the second letter. Same for the second letter
> > changing from Z to A triggers changing the first letter.
> > -- Dorian
> > "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> > eat for a lifetime".
> >

> > "Cinquefoil22" wrote:
> >
> > > Simple question, hope I can get an answer....
> > > Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming
> > > inventory.  Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is
> > > assigned
> > > a unique 3 letter value.  We started with AAA.  What I need to know is once I
> > > enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to
> > > the
> > > next sequence of letters.  Example, yesterday we received in.  The last
> > > series
> > > of letters I used was BHV.  So today, when I receive in, I want the product
> > > automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on.  After I use BHZ my
> > > next sequence would be BIA.  Ultimately when I get to BZZ, my next sequence
> > > would be CAA and so on....
> > > Do you think you can help me figure out how to do this?

2007.  I just can't get the module into my form...Confused as all h**l right
now...

"Cinquefoil22" wrote:

> Simple question, hope I can get an answer....
> Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming
> inventory.  Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is
> assigned
> a unique 3 letter value.  We started with AAA.  What I need to know is once I
> enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to
> the
> next sequence of letters.  Example, yesterday we received in.  The last
> series
> of letters I used was BHV.  So today, when I receive in, I want the product
> automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on.  After I use BHZ my
> next sequence would be BIA.  Ultimately when I get to BZZ, my next sequence
> would be CAA and so on....
> Do you think you can help me figure out how to do this?

Try posting a message in the Forms Coding section.
Or you could try looking in Access Help for the answer, it must exist in
2007 version.
-- Dorian
eat for a lifetime".

"Dorian" wrote:

> Its pretty easy to do. Set up a string with all letters in sequence with an
> extra A at end.
> Dim strAB = "A........ZA"
> Then you use INSTR function (look in HELP for details) to locate the letter
> and then just add 1 to position to the next one.
> You will have to check when last letter goes from Z to A since that will
> trigger the same logic for the second letter. Same for the second letter
> changing from Z to A triggers changing the first letter.
> -- Dorian
> "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish and they
> eat for a lifetime".
>

> "Cinquefoil22" wrote:
>
> > Simple question, hope I can get an answer....
> > Ok, I have created a table and form for our company to keep track of incoming
> > inventory.  Being that we work with metals, each piece that comes in is
> > assigned
> > a unique 3 letter value.  We started with AAA.  What I need to know is once I
> > enter the item we are receiving is there a way for it to automatically go to
> > the
> > next sequence of letters.  Example, yesterday we received in.  The last
> > series
> > of letters I used was BHV.  So today, when I receive in, I want the product
> > automatically be assigned BHW and then BHX and so on.  After I use BHZ my
> > next sequence would be BIA.  Ultimately when I get to BZZ, my next sequence
> > would be CAA and so on....
> > Do you think you can help me figure out how to do this?

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an overall summary page. For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2, etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same combination of the workforce. For example: Column C Column E Prj1 row 17 lead electrical engineer 200 Row 23 Senior mechanical engineer 450 Row 51 Junior piping engineer 700 Pr...

Populate a cell if values in cell 1 and cell 2 match cell 3 and 4
I need help with a formula please. I need to search through a column of data and populate a cell if it meets a condition. For example: IF FirstWorksheet!A2 = SecondWorksheet!ColumnAx and FirstWorksheet!B2 = SecondWorksheet!ColumnBx Then populate SecondWorksheet!Cx with value from FirstWorksheet!C2 I have to match up a column of data in one worksheet with data in 2 columns in another worksheet. Help plz. Thanks T- A multi-criteria index n match (array-entered) should work here In Sheet2, Copy n paste this into C2's formula bar, then array-enter the formula by pressing CTRL+...

Auto Filter problem

Auto-Editing

Auto-Calculate

auto copy self

Auto correct or Auto complete

Access 1.1 Data Base Migration to Access 2002
I have an older IBM Activa running Access 1.1 under Win 95, with a single 10 columns x 950 records table. I also have a new Dell running XP and XP Professional. There is no physical connection between the two PCs. I am told by Microsoft Support that only Access 97 (release 8.0), and later, are suported by Access 2002. I really do not want to retype all that data for this wine cellar inventory! If I could get a copy of the Access 97 upgrade CD, I could upgrade the old 1.1 to 8.0, and then migrate the file to Access 2002 on the Dell. I would then kill the old Access, return the C...

OWA auto login

how to down load more than 1 year statements
HI I like to download more than one year of statment from my brokerage. But it only goes back to 1 year. I want to download statement from 1-1-2003 to 12-31-2003. but since I am downloading in March 2004 it only goes back to march 2003. I had money 2001 it didn't have the option to download more than one year of statement. I got mony 2004 but same thing it only goes back to March 2003. I have noticed that it can arrange reports from 1-1-2003 to 12-31-2003. But still missing the actual data from 1-1- 2003 to March 2003. Please advise how I can achieve that goal. Thanking in anticipa...

Turn 3 columns into 1
--____TRBQFUNOYCJHJLNRIYFH____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Wed, 13 May 2008 10:57:51 -0500" SSBoYXZlIDMgY29sdW1ucyB0aGF0IEkgd291bGQgbGlrZSB0byBiZSBtZXJnZWQgaW4gdG8gb25l LiBGb3IgZXhhbXBsZToNCg0KYjI9MyBjMj00IGQyPTYsIGFuZCBzbyBlMiA9IDMNCiAgICAgICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICBlMyA9IDQNCiAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAg ICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICBlNCA9IDYNCg0KVGhhbmtzIGZvciBhbnlvbmUgdGhhdCBjYW4gaGVs cA== --____TRBQFUNOYCJHJLNRIYFH____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____POUSE...

Auto look through subfolders

Auto date

An auto reply to an auto reply!

MS CRM 1.2 - Sales for Outlook
SGkgYWxsLg0KDQpGaW5hbGx5LCB3ZSBoYXZlIHN1Y2Nlc3NmdWxseSBjb21wbGV0ZWQgdGhlIFNG TyBpbnN0YWxsYXRpb24uLi4gQXQgbGVhc3QsIG9uY2UgT3V0bG9vayBpcyB1cCduJ3J1bm5pbmcs IENSTSBvcGVyYXRpb25zIHNlZW0gdG8gd29yayBmaW5lLiA7KQ0KDQpXZWxsLiBPbmUgb2YgdGhl IHRhc2tzIHdlJ3ZlIGJlZW4gdGVzdGluZyB3YXMgdGhhdCBuaWNlIGJ1dHRvbiB0aGF0IHNheXM6 ICJwcm9tb3RlL2NvbnZlcnQgaW5jb21pbmcgZW1haWwgaW50byBDUk0gQWN0aXZpdHkiLiBMZXQn cyBzYXkgaXQgd29ya3MuLi4gYnV0IGluIGl0cyB3YXkuIEkgbWVhbi4gSWYgeW91IHNlbGVjdCBh biBlbWFpbCB0byBiZSBwcm9tb3RlZCB0byBhIENSTSBhY3Rpdml0eSwgdGhlIGNvbnZlcnRlciBk b2VzIGl0cyBqb2IsIGJ1dCB0aGUganVzdCBjcmVhdGVkIGFjdGl2aXR5IGlzI...

Auto-Alphabetize

How do I auto-reply incoming eMails ?
During my holidays I want to inform the sender of incoming eMails that I am currently not in office. How can I setup an auto-reply note? Do I setup this in my Outlook 2003 or in the Exchange Server? Joe If you connect to an Exchange server at work, use the Out of Office function (under tools). It will reply once to each sender that you are out of the office. By default in Exchange, auto-replies to the internet are turned off so only internal addresses would receive the Out of Office reply but verify with your Exchange Admin how they have the server configured. If you have a POP3 acc...

Auto change of Row number within Formulas
Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do the following Cell Resul A1 B1 1 A simple formula would be - sum(c(a1):c(b1)), where the result in this case would be the sum of cells c5:c10. Many thanks, Gle Hi Glen, Look at the INDIRECT() function in HELP -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "millarg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02302493-2C51-4CB9-9463-06523884BBD6@microsoft.com... > Good morning , I would much appreciate some help in creating a formula which would do ...

Auto-Capitalize
How do I turn this off. I'm making a basic flowchart. I need to turn this off. Thank You On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 10:42:05 -0800, eyewirejets <eyewirejets@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I turn this off. I'm making a basic flowchart. >I need to turn this off. menu Tools -> Auto Correct Options -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electronics Packages for Visio http://www.electronics-packages.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

LSASS Memory Leak in 2003 with Service Pack 1 and 2 installed
There is a similar post to this back in 2007, but it never got answered. Every few days, right around 5:30 after everyone has logged out, all of a sudden there is a spike in the non alloc memory usage and all services start to drop out like dns, login ability, etc. At times it can clear itself up after about 45 minutes, other times it requires a reboot for the server. I started running System Monitor last night and right before it cut out too, it appears that it was lsass that started to drastically climb. I have seen several entries about lsass memory leaks but they all are...

Need a consultant to connect RMS 1.3 to Quickbooks 2008
We have a RMS 1.3 running on one POS register and would like to integrate Quickbooks 2008 in a back office machine to do accounting. Who can help me or recommend someone who would be willing to do this for a reasonable price? I am not 100% sure on how to do this and would like some help. Please list your contact info, time you think it will take to do and your hourly rate or flat rate for something like this. I have setup many retail location with RMS and QB. jasonclements32304 @ yahoo DOT com "Jonathan Smith" wrote: > We have a RMS 1.3 running on one POS register and wou...

Internet Explorer Script Error after upgrading to CRM 1.2
I'm getting a script error in Sales for Outlook and the CRM web interface after I upgraded (successfully) to MS CRM 1.2. When I click on the Leads link in Outlook or the Leads link in Sales in IE 6, I get this error: Line: 35 Char: 1 Error: Object Expected Code: 0 URL: http:/crm/_grid/grid_data.aspx?sortCol=createdon&sortDir=descend&viewID={00000000-0000-0000-00AA-000010001005}&filter=&pageNum=1 Anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance. -Erik Erik I found that once you have synchronised once (i.e. gone on-line and then off-line), this error disappears. Presumabl...

auto delete attachment
How I can write a rule or script that will automatically delete any email that has the attatchment name? I'm using windows xp and outlook 2003. Norton AntiVirus Deleted1.txt Thanks, Aaron Rules don't touch attachment names so your only other choice is writing a program to do this. Try posting in an Outlook programming forum - also see http://www.slipstick.com and http://www.outlookcode.com for some assistance. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Aaron <kuy...