Accessing Database design mode

There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have very
little experience with Access and need some help here.

Access 2003, XP SP3.

The first issue:
I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on an
open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click in
an open area on the main page and nothing happens.

2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode i
can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries, forms,
etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the forms
(frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not right
click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.

3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on Switchboard
Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable to
find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that only
need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they get

" ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides.

OK"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Hold the Shift Key down when you open the database and you should have no
problem getting into design mode.

Steve
santus@penn.com

"luv2bike2" <luv2bike2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have
> very
> little experience with Access and need some help here.
>
> Access 2003, XP SP3.
>
> The first issue:
> I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
> know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
> 1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on
> an
> open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
> do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click
> in
> an open area on the main page and nothing happens.
>
> 2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode
> can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries,
> forms,
> etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the
> forms
> (frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not
> right
> click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.
>
> 3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on
> Switchboard
> Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable
> find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
> Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
> working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that
> only
> need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they
> get
>
> " ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
> spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
> file
> resides.
>
> OK"
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

0
Steve
5/21/2010 11:11:36 PM
Also if security and management allows, create a backup and try your
alterations on the backup.  If you break it, no big deal, the one in
production is still running.  Never work on the one in production if you can
help it.

Good Luck

Dan

"Steve" wrote:

> Hold the Shift Key down when you open the database and you should have no
> problem getting into design mode.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com
>

> "luv2bike2" <luv2bike2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have
> > very
> > little experience with Access and need some help here.
> >
> > Access 2003, XP SP3.
> >
> > The first issue:
> > I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
> > know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
> > 1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on
> > an
> > open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
> > do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click
> > in
> > an open area on the main page and nothing happens.
> >
> > 2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode
> > can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries,
> > forms,
> > etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the
> > forms
> > (frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not
> > right
> > click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.
> >
> > 3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on
> > Switchboard
> > Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable
> > find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
> > Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
> > working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that
> > only
> > need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they
> > get
> >
> > " ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
> > spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
> > file
> > resides.
> >
> > OK"
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> .

Thanks for your suggestion.  I was able to get to the design mode.  Greatly
appreciated!
Robin

"Steve" wrote:

> Hold the Shift Key down when you open the database and you should have no
> problem getting into design mode.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com
>

> "luv2bike2" <luv2bike2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have
> > very
> > little experience with Access and need some help here.
> >
> > Access 2003, XP SP3.
> >
> > The first issue:
> > I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
> > know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
> > 1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on
> > an
> > open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
> > do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click
> > in
> > an open area on the main page and nothing happens.
> >
> > 2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode
> > can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries,
> > forms,
> > etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the
> > forms
> > (frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not
> > right
> > click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.
> >
> > 3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on
> > Switchboard
> > Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable
> > find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
> > Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
> > working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that
> > only
> > need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they
> > get
> >
> > " ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
> > spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
> > file
> > resides.
> >
> > OK"
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> .

Thank you !  I did make a backup copy of it and will work off of that one.

Robin

"Dan" wrote:

> Also if security and management allows, create a backup and try your
> alterations on the backup.  If you break it, no big deal, the one in
> production is still running.  Never work on the one in production if you can
> help it.
>
> Good Luck
>
> Dan
>

> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > Hold the Shift Key down when you open the database and you should have no
> > problem getting into design mode.
> >
> > Steve
> > santus@penn.com
> >

> > "luv2bike2" <luv2bike2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have
> > > very
> > > little experience with Access and need some help here.
> > >
> > > Access 2003, XP SP3.
> > >
> > > The first issue:
> > > I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
> > > know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
> > > 1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on
> > > an
> > > open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
> > > do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click
> > > in
> > > an open area on the main page and nothing happens.
> > >
> > > 2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode
> > > can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries,
> > > forms,
> > > etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the
> > > forms
> > > (frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not
> > > right
> > > click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.
> > >
> > > 3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on
> > > Switchboard
> > > Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable
> > > find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
> > > Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
> > > working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that
> > > only
> > > need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they
> > > get
> > >
> > > " ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
> > > spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
> > > file
> > > resides.
> > >
> > > OK"
> > >
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >

> > .

I have a couple more questions/issues that could be related to each other:

I can log in to another computer as myself, open up the DB have the design
mode there (w/o holding down the shift key).   i have compared the Workgroup
Administrator settings on both computers (one that is working correctly and
the one that is not) to make sure that the workgroup settings are the same
and they are.
What would be causing this issue?  I am a novice in Access and i know bits
and pieces, there must be something else that i am not seeing.  Also the
drive mappings are identical on both computers.  The comparing I did are on
two computers that are located in my office.

The database pulls all its information from that db and no other db.

The next issue is going to be hard to explain so I will try my best to
explain it:
Just to clarify, this next issue could be related to the above because it is
only happening on the same computers (there are 4 that I know of) that has
this issue.
There are 7 other people who use this DB and are not having any issues.

Once the db is open, the user clicks on a button, lets call it "A", once the
"A" window appears, they click on a Button, lets call it "B",  Once the "B"
window appears, they click on "C" which there they would see on the right
side 2 boxes that one will have a list of part numbers and the other will
have a list of vendors.  This is normal on a working computer.  The lists are
not showing up on the computers that are having the issue in the above
section.

What I am thinking is that there has be a setting on the computers that is
not set correctly, but I don't know.

I sure hope someone can help me out on this.  I was not the one who created
this DB and the person who did has been long gone from the company.   If
anything needs to be clairfied, please ask me and i will find out what i can.

Thanks so much!

"Steve" wrote:

> Hold the Shift Key down when you open the database and you should have no
> problem getting into design mode.
>
> Steve
> santus@penn.com
>

> "luv2bike2" <luv2bike2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There is an DB that was create well before my time at my job and I have
> > very
> > little experience with Access and need some help here.
> >
> > Access 2003, XP SP3.
> >
> > The first issue:
> > I need to get into the Form Design page of this particular DB the 2 ways i
> > know how to get into the Form Design or any other design mode is
> > 1) have the DB open and on the main page of the DB you can right click on
> > an
> > open space and than choose Form Design and go about doing what you need to
> > do.  However I can not do that in this one particular DB  -- i right click
> > in
> > an open area on the main page and nothing happens.
> >
> > 2 i minimize the main page of the one that i can get into the design mode
> > can see the database design box that has the Objects (tables, queries,
> > forms,
> > etc) on the left side and on the right side is where you can choose the
> > forms
> > (frm_Reports, fr,_SelectDocument, etc.)  but on the one that i can not
> > right
> > click this box is not present  and i can not get into the design mode.
> >
> > 3) if i click on Tools and database utilities and than click on
> > Switchboard
> > Manager, i get a message saying that "The Switchboard Manager was unable
> > find a valid switchboard in this database.  Would you like to create one?"
> > Of course I don't want to mess anything up, especailly since the DB is
> > working for the people that go into it everyday.  There are 2 users that
> > only
> > need to go into it once in a while to do a search and when they do, they
> > get
> >
> > " ' \\....\....mdb' is not valid path.  Make sure that the path name is
> > spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the
> > file
> > resides.
> >
> > OK"
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> .

Example of Database
Hi freinds, Can any tell me where can i get a simple database example.? In which only 2 or 3 table with Foreigne key etc. i will be very thankful to u all. sheikh sheikh wrote: > Hi freinds, > > Can any tell me where can i get a simple database example.? > In which only 2 or 3 table with Foreigne key etc. > i will be very thankful to u all. > sheikh > > You could look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1370z17c(VS.80).aspx and at: codeproject.com ...

Outlook Web Access AutoSignature

Restricting access to note attachments

Access 2003 and Access 2007 Synchronization

Excel Row to Access Columns

Access

access mail on WEB

access or mount mirrored hard disks

Access Database In Great Plains

CRM v4 Accessibility Improvements

Upsizing Access to SQL Server 2000

Outlook Web Access #19

Accounting with Ms Access

BP3 Site Settings access

Excel to Access
Hi group, quick question. If I have a macro to upload some Excel data into Access, can this macro be used by a user without Access installed on its PC???? The Access database is located in a shared drive, the Excel is stored in the user's PC. ....And same thing in the other way, can a user without Access import from Excel some Access info?? Versions are Excel 2003 and Access 2002. Thanks in advance, Cecilia Can you buy Excel without buying the entire Microsoft Office Suite? I'm not sure if there are variations in the way microsoft sells products in different countries s...

Access Levels
Hi I am having real difficulty in getting the access levels to work as I want them. Basically I want to control access at the Business Unit level. However, how do I know which business unit a specific account record belongs to? As far as I can see it is determined by the owner of the record and their corresponding Business Unit. Is this correct? Thanks You are correct. The record is only tied to the BU through the owner. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On 26 May 2004 06:51:29 -0700, l.hargrave@btinternet.com (Lee) wrote: Hi I ...

Access and Accessibility
Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? "Risikio" <Risikio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BF54007-6C65-444E-BC25-84C90173AE8F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of a good resource for information about developing > accessible applications using Microsoft Access 2003 or 2007? As far as I know, all the Windows accessibility features are available in Office. Speech recognition improves with each version. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://w...

Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class
Hey Friends Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided CRecordset class. vikrant wrote: > Hey Friends > > Can we Get Table Names from an access database while using MFC provided > CRecordset class. > > Yes. The CATALOG sample in MSDN shows how. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] vikrant, Yes... You can use access the system tables directly, especially using a CRecordset object connected to a Database object that is associated with the database in question and this SQL statement: SELECT Name FROM MSysObjects WHERE ( Flags=0) AND (Typ...

update dictionaries for visibility of 3rd party databases in RW
I would still like to request further if an update can be done to the dictionaries to be able to include 3rd party databases visibility in Report Writer. We are modifying the POP Purchase Order Blank Form. We need to link the POA_Ctrl (POA40003) table to Purchase Order Work (POP10100). However, the POA_Ctrl table cannot be found on the list of tables to be linked. This information cannot be linked to Great Plains tables as the tables are stored in separate dictionaries. These are the PO Enhancement and DYNAMICS dictionaries. In relation to this, we are requesting if an update can be ...

Access 2007
How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. Thanks, Mike In form design view, select the controls that you want to ungroup, click on the "Arrange" tab above, then click on "Remove" (fourth button from the left in the Arrange toolbar) HTH -- _________ Sean Bailey "Mike" wrote: > How do you ungroup controls on an Access 2007 form? I can't figure it out. > > Thanks, > Mike Wow that was right under my nose and I was missing it. Thanks! "Beetle" wrote: > In form design view, select the con...

Different ways to extract data from Access to Excel
I have been using Access 2003 and 2007 to read and do simple data (not design) repairs to old Jet databases that underlie a legacy proprietary data collection program my company uses. My latest challenge is to automate the extraction of certain data from the tables and put it in an Excel spreadsheet. Each time the extraction is done it would involve finding a certain table, searching for a record that meets the new criteria in a certain field, then moving over to another certain field and extracting the text, number, or date therein. I would really appreciate if anyone could point out ...