Tractor Fed label roll gets 3.3 inch feed at end of page? How do.

Once again I begin what seems like a simple project and reality hits me with
a two by four on the back of the head.

THE ISSUE:
Continuous form, custom product and serial number label for our products
that feeds a Page Break at the end of the page in letter size page.  I’ve
used the Label Wizard and I defined the label as continuous, yet after 6
labels that print perfectly, I get a feed of 3.375 inches.

I’ve looked everywhere in Access and I cannot find a way to override this
automatic feed.

THE SOFTWARE:
Access 2002 SP3

THE PRINTER:
Okidata Microline ML591, Dot Matrix 24 Pin, Rear Tractor Feed, Continuous Form

HOW WAS THE LABEL CREATED?
1) I used the NEW command, selected LABEL WIZ
2) Defined the label to the custom label our marketing department had printed
3) Set to SINGLE COLUMN, Continuous
4) Located the data fields where I needed them

If anyone has any ideas how I might be able to shut off the feed so it is
really continuous tractor fed with no page break I’d appreciate your help.

Pampas…

p.s., if anyone wants to see the actual database send me an e-mail and I’ll
send you the data.

"Pampas58" <Pampas58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Once again I begin what seems like a simple project and reality hits me
> with
> a two by four on the back of the head.
>
> THE ISSUE:
> Continuous form, custom product and serial number label for our products
> that feeds a Page Break at the end of the page in letter size page.  I've
> used the Label Wizard and I defined the label as continuous, yet after 6
> labels that print perfectly, I get a feed of 3.375 inches.
>
> I've looked everywhere in Access and I cannot find a way to override this
> automatic feed.
>
> THE SOFTWARE:
> Access 2002 SP3
>
> THE PRINTER:
> Okidata Microline ML591, Dot Matrix 24 Pin, Rear Tractor Feed, Continuous
> Form
>
> HOW WAS THE LABEL CREATED?
> 1) I used the NEW command, selected LABEL WIZ
> 2) Defined the label to the custom label our marketing department had
> printed
> 3) Set to SINGLE COLUMN, Continuous
> 4) Located the data fields where I needed them
>
> If anyone has any ideas how I might be able to shut off the feed so it is
> really continuous tractor fed with no page break I'd appreciate your help.
>
> Pampas.

Some impact printers will not print at what they believe to be "on the
perforations", either never, or as an option, but I am not familiar with
this one to know if that is what you are experiencing.  This may well be a
printer setting that you'll have to determine and change -- check your
printer's user manual or ask the manufacturer if that is the case.  Ask
them, as a matter of fact, about the feed...

One thing I'd wager... you don't have an _Access_ problem, but a printer, or
printer driver software, problem.

 Larry Linson
 Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry
3/17/2008 5:48:32 PM
Larry,

Thanks for your reply.  I spent over an hour with the OKIDATA people on the
phone and worked through the various scenarios of the printer.  The feature
in the ML591 (in LQ standard Emulation set from the factory) for skipping
over perforation is set to NO, and it works.

I wrote a quick module to test it:

Open “LPT1” for Output as #1

For N = 1 to 500
	Print #1, “This Is a Test of the Perforation Skip”
Next

Close #1

It typed right over the perforation with no problem.

Also, when I change from Letter (only one of about 8 options that Access 2002
hooked up to the OKIDATA gives me) I get 6 labels then the skip over the line,
which is a total distance from bottom of last line printed to top of next
line printed of 1.25 inches.

I think, and I say this carefully, that the distance is the sum of two
parameters: 1) the normal distance between the last line and the first which
is 0.625 or thereabout, and 2) The minimum top margin Access will let me
enter into the report of 0.627 inches.

Do you have any suggestions of where I can look.  The test I ran seemed to
make sense and prove that the printer can and does ignore the perforations,
if I just simply send it a command to print.  The continuous form on a
tractor feed seems to be a problem for Access; there are no options for that
in the paper size selection.

Your help, and anyone else’s help on this is greatly appreciated.

Signed: Frustrated in KC, on St. Patrick’s day… Pampas58

Larry Linson wrote:
>> Once again I begin what seems like a simple project and reality hits me
>> with
>[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
>>
>> Pampas.
>
>Some impact printers will not print at what they believe to be "on the
>perforations", either never, or as an option, but I am not familiar with
>this one to know if that is what you are experiencing.  This may well be a
>printer setting that you'll have to determine and change -- check your
>printer's user manual or ask the manufacturer if that is the case.  Ask
>them, as a matter of fact, about the feed...
>
>One thing I'd wager... you don't have an _Access_ problem, but a printer, or
>printer driver software, problem.
>
> Larry Linson
> Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Pampas58
3/17/2008 11:57:35 PM
Some get caught between a "rock and a hard place", others between Access,
Windows, and a printer, it seems. I wish I had a solution for you (other
than... well, Print #1 seems to work for what you want to do... a little
clumsier that a Label template report) but unfortunately I don't.

I gave away my last impact printer... a nice little IBM proprinter, after
having not used it since the days of DOS 6 and Win 3.1.

"Pampas58" <u42197@uwe> wrote in message news:81504e14026aa@uwe...
> Larry,
>
> Thanks for your reply.  I spent over an hour with the OKIDATA people on
> the
> phone and worked through the various scenarios of the printer.  The
> feature
> in the ML591 (in LQ standard Emulation set from the factory) for skipping
> over perforation is set to NO, and it works.
>
> I wrote a quick module to test it:
>
> Open "LPT1" for Output as #1
>
> For N = 1 to 500
> Print #1, "This Is a Test of the Perforation Skip"
> Next
>
> Close #1
>
> It typed right over the perforation with no problem.
>
> Also, when I change from Letter (only one of about 8 options that Access
> 2002
> hooked up to the OKIDATA gives me) I get 6 labels then the skip over the
> line,
> which is a total distance from bottom of last line printed to top of next
> line printed of 1.25 inches.
>
> I think, and I say this carefully, that the distance is the sum of two
> parameters: 1) the normal distance between the last line and the first
> which
> is 0.625 or thereabout, and 2) The minimum top margin Access will let me
> enter into the report of 0.627 inches.
>
> Do you have any suggestions of where I can look.  The test I ran seemed to
> make sense and prove that the printer can and does ignore the
> perforations,
> if I just simply send it a command to print.  The continuous form on a
> tractor feed seems to be a problem for Access; there are no options for
> that
> in the paper size selection.
>
> Your help, and anyone else's help on this is greatly appreciated.
>
> Signed: Frustrated in KC, on St. Patrick's day. Pampas58
>

> Larry Linson wrote:
>>> Once again I begin what seems like a simple project and reality hits me
>>> with
>>[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]
>>>
>>> Pampas.
>>
>>Some impact printers will not print at what they believe to be "on the
>>perforations", either never, or as an option, but I am not familiar with
>>this one to know if that is what you are experiencing.  This may well be a
>>printer setting that you'll have to determine and change -- check your
>>printer's user manual or ask the manufacturer if that is the case.  Ask
>>them, as a matter of fact, about the feed...
>>
>>One thing I'd wager... you don't have an _Access_ problem, but a printer,
>>or
>>printer driver software, problem.
>>
>> Larry Linson
>> Microsoft Office Access MVP

0
Larry
3/18/2008 6:20:17 AM
Well, while I have gone to a NUMBER of technical forums trying to get the
answer to the Tractor Feed Label Problem, no one seemed to have the answer I
was looking for.  Many pointed to the OKIDATA ML591, others pointed to Access
2002 and in the end I still don’t have an answer.

However, since I did figure out a “brute force” method I thought I’d add it
here and on the other Forums as a way for you to deal with the issues and
perhaps you can come up with a more elegant solution and if so I’d truly
appreciate it if you’d send me the answers as well.

In essence what you’re going to see is that I create the labels in a loop,
and format the serial number (S/N) to our liking.  Then I enumerate the
labels on the table and from there I simply do a filter that prints one
report (first 6 S/N labels) and then closes and prints another report (the
next 6 S/N labels) allowing the user to reset the printer’s position.

Since it is starting at the top of the page, there is no need to waste any
labels.  Any and all suggestions are still not only welcomed, but also
desperately sought

[code]
Private Sub cmd_Gen_LabelSet_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_Gen_LabelSet_Click
    Dim sSerialBase As String
    Dim sModelNumber As String
    Dim sSerialNumber As String
    Dim sACvolt As String
    Dim sACamp As String
    Dim sPhase As String
    Dim sCnt As String
    Dim sHertz As String
    Dim sDCVolts As String
    Dim stDocName As String
    Dim stCriteria As String
    Dim iSeqStart As Integer
    Dim iSeqEnd As Integer
    Dim iLabelNumber As Integer
    Dim iTotalLabels As Integer
    Dim iNumberOfPages As Integer
    Dim iPage As Integer
    Dim iFirstLabel As Integer
    Dim iLastLabel As Integer

DoCmd.OpenQuery "qryDEL_Old_Gen_Set", acNormal, acEdit

'this section opens up the labelgen database to stuff the label
'information into it
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset

' this section captures the data from the form
    sSerialBase = [Base Serial Number]
    iSeqStart = [Sequence Start]
    iSeqEnd = [Sequence Finish]

    Set db = CurrentDb()
    Set rst = db.OpenRecordset("tblLabel_gen", dbOpenDynaset)
'this section starts to generate the serial numbers
    If IsNull([Hetz]) Then [Hetz] = " "

    With rst

        For cnt = iSeqStart To iSeqEnd ' sets up the serial number sequence
        .AddNew ' opens the table to add new records
' This section Formats the Serial Number so that it has leading zeros
            If cnt <= 9 Then sCnt = "00" & cnt
            If cnt >= 10 And cnt < 100 Then sCnt = "0" & cnt
            If cnt >= 100 Then sCnt = cnt

            sSerialNumber = sSerialBase & sCnt ' stores the formated S/N
            iLabelNumber = iLabelNumber + 1 ' Stores Label Count

' this section writes the data into the label database
            ![Label Number] = iLabelNumber
            ![Serial Number] = sSerialNumber
            ![Model Number] = [Model Number]
            ![AC Voltage] = [AC Voltage]
            ![AC Amps] = [AC Amps]
            ![Phase] = [Phase]
            ![Hetz] = [Hetz]
            ![DC Volts] = [DC Volts]
            ![Max DC Amps] = [Max DC Amps]
        .Update 'without the Update statement it's not going to get stored
        Next

    End With

' capture the number of labels created
    iTotalLabels = iLabelNumber

' see how many sets of reports (pages) must be printed
' each LETTER size page, will print 6 labels custom sized for our application
' the 5/6 addition at the end is to round up to the next full page
' 1 label of 6 (1/6) + (5/6) then the integer makes it a full page number

    iNumberOfPages = Int((iTotalLabels / 6) + (5 / 6))

'print the pages
    For iPage = 1 To iNumberOfPages
        iLastLabel = iPage * 6  ' Define the last label on the page
        iFirstLabel = iLastLabel - 6    ' subtract 6 to find the first label
        stCriteria = "[Label Number] >" & iFirstLabel & _
            "AND [Label Number] <=" & iLastLabel    ' set the Filter for each
pass

    MsgBox "ALERT!!!:  ALIGN FOR NEXT LABEL SET"    ' Alert the user to reset
the label indexing
        stDocName = "Label 1"

        'DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview
        DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acViewNormal, , stCriteria
    Next

MsgBox "COMPLETE! - No More Labels To Print, Thank you and print again soon...
"

Exit_Gen_LabelSet_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Gen_LabelSet_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Gen_LabelSet_Click

End Sub
[/code]

Thanks to those who tried to help me out.  And I'm still in need of a better
solution, because this requires too much human interface

Pampas58

Larry Linson wrote:
>Some get caught between a "rock and a hard place", others between Access,
>Windows, and a printer, it seems. I wish I had a solution for you (other
>than... well, Print #1 seems to work for what you want to do... a little
>clumsier that a Label template report) but unfortunately I don't.
>
>I gave away my last impact printer... a nice little IBM proprinter, after
>having not used it since the days of DOS 6 and Win 3.1.
>
>  Larry Linson
>  Microsoft Office Access MVP
>
>> Larry,
>>
>[quoted text clipped - 61 lines]
>>> Larry Linson
>>> Microsoft Office Access MVP

Pampas58

CRM 3.0 upgrade error
I have recently been trying to upgrade our 1.2 installation to 3.0. I have the “replication data of SQL Server founded” error on the advisor (“Se encontraron datos de réplica de SQL Server”) . Can anyone help me, please? Thanks Javi ...

How do I get wysiwyg when printing
When printing most worksheets I get what I see [and set up] in print preview. Specifically the scaling that I have selected. However, when printing "Some" worksheets the scaling is ignored. eg Print preview tells me 5 pages, the printer produces 12 pages. How do I fix this problem?? [I am using Excel 2003] ...

get emails remotely
I have an email account through Charter Communications that I have forwarded to my Outlook. When I go out of town, can I get to my Outlook account remotely? I can not go to Charter.net account as they have all been forwarded out and the folders are empty. When you say you have the email "forwarded" to outlook, do you mean there is another email address you are forwarding to, or do you mean you are using outlook to access the charter account? If it's just one account, charter, then you have to set outlook to leave the messages on the server, then you can use the...

so many mails in our out queue with out source Address #3
HI My exchange server is is having all the setting as you said still i am getting these messages. Recently i have removed few user because they left the oraganasiton, and they use to get so many Junk-E-mails do u think because of these e-mail's coming. pls if u have any ide pls let me know. Thanks Shaikh "M. Omer Siddiqui [MSFT]" <v-omers@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:OT3H90atDHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello Shaikh > > If you just want to delete those message, you can select them in "Queues" > tab inside "Internet Mai...

Auto Signature #3
Have set up an auto signature in Tools and it is selected as the default. However, I have been assigned to work at another station and when I use Word as my e-mail editor, I recieve the person's whose desk I'm sitting at, auto signature. I have gone into help and followed these steps but it still is a problem when using Word as my editor Please help Instructions I have Followed....... Create a signature to use with Word as your e-mail editor In Microsoft Outlook, start a new message by using Word as your e-mail editor <rnhowUseWordMailAsTheEmailEditor.htm>. In the new...

NDR : 5.3.5
Hi All, I am recieving and NDR 5.3.5 whenever i send emails to a PF from a particular exchange server. Scenario : Ex2k3 sp2 native mode 3 exchange servers - U1 , U2 , M1 U1 and U2 are in the same routing group and M1 is in th second RG. Mails sent from U1 to public folder gets deleivered whereas mails sent from a mailbox in U2 gets a NDR 5.3.5 PF are on M1 and the replica is on U1. Please suggest. bhardwajrishi <bhardwajrishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi All, > > I am recieving and NDR 5.3.5 whenever i send emails to a PF from a > particular exchange serv...

Labels in a toolbar
Hi, There is a toolbar of the class: ToolbarWindow32 that I have a handle to. There are no buttons on it, but there are labels on two rows, is there a way I can retrieve the label texts? Thanks, Ickis ...

Can't create address labels with an image / graphic
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am using MS Word for MAC - version 2008 and can't for the life of me create a page of labels with a graphic. <br><br>The old 2004 version worked beautifully. I could pull up a blank template (ex. 5160), group the graphic and text box in one cell, then select &quot;Tools -> Labels&quot; and that would create an entire page of that design. I got the 08 version, and now I can't do a thing. That process just gets me another blank template. <br><br>Not sure how many people...

mail merge label question
Hello, I created a page by going into Mailing / Labels / Options and creating a new label for landscape letter size paper and having 4 equally divided regions for making postcards. I then clicked on the new document button and formatted each postcard the way I wanted it, starting off with the word "Dear" and followed by the rest of what I wanted to appear. How can I add a mail merge field after the word "Dear" so that I get a different name filled in for each of the 4 postcards on the page (each of the 4 have different clip arts inserted. I would actually have a...

How can I create custom page size for tractor-feed forms? (2007)
I have created a report to print out information for book acquisition at our library but cannot change the page size to a custom size for the tractor-feed forms. I am using Access 2007. Any ideas? Jhall@myglnc.com "RunningRonnie" <RunningRonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:553F4C4B-AF9E-4911-8385-2D6D9DA8B683@microsoft.com... >I have created a report to print out information for book acquisition at >our > library but cannot change the page size to a custom size for the > tractor-feed > forms. I am using Access 2007. Any ideas? ...

Business Portal 3.0 "Vacation Requests" Process
I set up "Vacation Requests" process in Business Portal After "Vacation Requests" are approved in Business Portal they are written to HR database. How do you then see this data in HR. -- Manager20055#$ ...

How do I change the default labels to match Avery label blanks?
I am attempting to use Avery business card templates but publisher will not allow me to create appropriate sizes and numbers of labels. Each page is 1x4 and the label template is 2x5 labels per page. Avery template 27881. Any suggestions? I can't understand your measurements. What is the size of one card? If it is the standard 3 x 2.5 then setup your page as a business card. Click "change copies per sheet", set the top to .5 and the side to ..75, the gaps to zero. If you have Publisher 2000 or below, in page setup, special size, business card. When you have finished your...

Fed Tax refund
What category should I assign a Federal Tax refund? State and Local has one set up in income but I'm not sure where to apply the federal one. Thanks See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q102. "Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fd5401c3f351$a5a943e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > What category should I assign a Federal Tax refund? State > and Local has one set up in income but I'm not sure where > to apply the federal one. > > Thanks ...

junk email #3
is it possible to configure outlook express to receive only mail from senders that are ALREADY in your contact list? I am setting up OE for my children and would like to reduce unwanted mail if possible. Thanks in advance, trevor ...

Inserting a picture on a label
I am trying to insert a picture on a name badge label and when I insert it it does not show up. I can insert into other publications but not a label. What is up with that? Do you have detailed display enabled? View, pictures... If you do read the third FAQ here http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/FAQs -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "stew" <stew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23E0A05E-EBBE-4E0C-8B1E-A966EE185107@microsoft.com... >I am trying to insert a picture on a name ...

how do I set up spread sheet for demographical data to get graph.
I need to set up a spread sheet to be able to get age, sex,service usage numbers, site utilisation, presenting issue e.g., drug and alcohol, region, percentage of use base on population e.g, 80 staff DoHi, Do you want to show these results graphically, or in the form of some sort of output table? Dave url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10355820.aspx How are you intending to get the data or enter the data into this sheet? How many worksheets or tables will you need? What is the final display options: Examples, Reports, Charts, Pivot = table? And lastly who are the end users, and how do they...

CRM 3.0 Multiple Prices On All Products Public View
Might be a silly question, but I was just asked if there is any way with CRM 3.0 in Outlook or the Web Client to view a price list? They have 4 price lists and would like to look for a product under a specific price list. I know when you view products you see the List Price, but cannot add any other columns that might relate to say the Dealer or Wholesale Price Lists. Any Suggesions? We could create an Excel file and attach it to a note and put it under Knowledge base or something but it would be ideal if the Sales Reps look at All Products view and can see all 3 prices for a product...

User Gets NDR from Attendee not Listed in Appointment
User Gets NDR from Attendee not Listed in Appointment This happens when recipient has delegates that no longer exist in AD. Normally you would just delete the delegate but I have a hidden delegate problem. Delegate window is empty but still get these NDRs. How do I get rid of hidden delegates? run Outlook with the /cleanrules switch on the mailbox where the delegate used to exist...make certain to save any existing rules so they can be re-added later... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Shawn" <Shawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37F71A41-B2E0-49EC-A1EB-...

Avery Label 8873
I purchased labels 8873 which say to use template 8371. Neither of these choices are on publisher software. What do I do to make these labels work? Many Avery labels share the same dimensions with other labels. The 8873 labels are the same as Avery 8869-8874, 8876, 8878, and 8879. The differences lie in the paper, color, and/or quantity in a package. Whenever I want to make a label and can't find the number on first attempt, I go to the Avery site and look to see the other labels that are the same size. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Ron" <Ron@discus...

Multiple Pages on an attachment
I am trying to attach an external document via notes. The document is a PDF file that is multiple pages. I can see all pages when I open the file in Acrobat Reader. However, when I attach the file, I can only see a single page. If I print from the attachment, it also only prints 1 page. How can I attach a document that is multiple pages and see all pages ? ...

3 linked combo boxes in a form Options
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, the option you suggested did not produce the desired result. Perhaps if I explain further what I am trying to do, you can offer some alternatives. Shopcbo based on Shopqry based on Shoptbl. Columns in the table are ShopName and ShopID. The shop same is self explanatory. The shop ID is a field a created to match up with a field in the equipment table. Areacbo based on Areaqry based on Areatbl. Columns in the table are AreaName, AreaLink and ShopName. The area link is a field created to identify each area that a piece of equipment belongs to...

I can't change the label in legend
I'm trying to modify a legend in a project that was designed by someone else. Next to each colored box, there's a label which I need to change. I've tried everything I can think of, the last of which was highlighting my pie chart and right clicking. I chose "Source Data" and clicked on "values". I thought that if I could change it in that cell it would automatically update my legend. When I highlighted the cell, it showed marching ants and would not let me do anything to it. I'm very new to this. Please tell me in as simple a way as possible! Thank...

Excel Macros #3
Does anybody know how, when recording a macro, you get the macro to recognise arrow key movements. (i.e. to recognise up 1, down 1 etc instead of selecting a specific cell) This can't be done. Look at the Offset command. This may help. If the intention is to perform an operation on cells which are a particular distance (offset) away from a known origin then perhaps recording a macro, using it as a base then making use of the Offset command will help you achieve the same result. -- Regards, Bill Lunney www.billlunney.com "steve thomas" <sthomas@joedan.co.uk> wro...

EXPORT TO WEB PAGE (PUB 2002)
WHEN I UPLOAD MY EXPORTED WEB PAGE TO THE INTERNET THE PICTURES DON'T SHOW UP. HOW DO I FIX THIS? How to publish your Publisher-based Web site to a Web server that requires an Index.htm file in Publisher 2002: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307261 DavidF "SAMUEL" <SAMUEL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E03C2D2-132E-423B-8B66-3645F6C611C9@microsoft.com... > WHEN I UPLOAD MY EXPORTED WEB PAGE TO THE INTERNET THE PICTURES DON'T SHOW > UP. HOW DO I FIX THIS? ...

Blank Page (header)
I am guessing this is a really easy one, but I have not been able to figure it out. Why is it that I get a copy of the page header section, all along, on just the first page of my report. Rest of report is just fine, but the first page is blank, except for what is in the page header content. ??? Patk PatK wrote: >I am guessing this is a really easy one, but I have not been able to figure >it out. Why is it that I get a copy of the page header section, all along, >on just the first page of my report. Rest of report is just fine, but the >first page is blan...