Results show as a minus. WHY?

I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net
which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this table,
however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables.
How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal
point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning.

You can use the Abs function to strip off the negative

Abs([YourTable].[YourField])

And you can format that as percentage either using the control's format
property or using the format function.  Personnally I would use the format
property to control the display of the data and the Abs() function in the
underlying query

Field: YourField: Abs([YourTable].[YourField])

In some versions of Access you may not be able to alias the field to the
same name as the field.  In most cases you can do so AS LONG AS you use the
Table and Field name when you want to refer to the field and not its alias.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an application that was developed by another developer using VB.net
> which reside in a SQL table. I need to use some of the data from this
> table,
> however the data shows as -0.5 or - 0.99 or -1.70 etc in my Access tables.
> How can I get those numbers to show as a percentage with only one decimal
> point to the left? Example: 3.6% or 31.4 %. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated. No matter what I do it shows that dang "-" at the beginning.

0
John

Please help me decipher the result of COUNT.
Following data from A1:A7 Sales 12/8/2008 19 22.24 TRUE #DIV/0! =COUNT(A1:A7,2) returns 4. I don't understand where the four occurrences of 2 come from. 22.24 = 3 occurrences 12/8/2008 = 2 occurrences total of 5?? I know I am missing something. Please tell me. Is there a tool that I can use to trace? I tried the formula auditing toolbar, no luck because there is no error and trace precedents is not detailed enough. Appreciate explanation. Epinn have a look in the help index for COUNT -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr...

Conditional Formatting using result of Cell Formulas
Hi, I'm trying to make a conditional format when the result of a formula results in a value being entered in a cell. I'm using Excel Xp and my formula is as follows. =IF(F160="Need Info",TODAY()-S160,"") I've tried using formulas like >0, <>"", <>BLANK etc. but they all seem to fail. All cells are formatted, even entirely blank cells, as if the condition has been met. BTW, is this formula better strategically than the above formula. =IF(F160<>"Need Info","",TODAY()-S160) Just curious. TIA!!! Norm If ...

If statement result appearing in different colors
Is there a way to write an IF statement where the text will change color depending on the result? eg =if(x=0,"RED-colored text","BLACK-colored text") where 'RED-colored text' would appear in RED, etc Thank You! WayneD Take a look at Format|Conditional formatting. WGD wrote: > > Is there a way to write an IF statement where the text will change color > depending on the result? eg > > =if(x=0,"RED-colored text","BLACK-colored text") where 'RED-colored text' > would appear in RED, etc > > Thank ...

Something wrong when xml control is not showing data
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C60F88.8BCE9BA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I am using VB/ASP.net 2005. When I click submit it refreshes the page = without entering the data from all the text boxes and not entering in = the Game1.xml. here is the asp.vb code Imports System.Xml Partial Class _game1 Inherits Web.UI.Page ............... Protected Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As = System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click Dim xDoc As New XmlDocum...

sql result different to excel result
Hi, Just wondering why I am having such problems rounding figures, when I round the same figure on an Excel Sheet, I end up with a different end result to what appears in sql. The Excel Looks Like This. Net Vat Total Allocated Result (=(NET+VAT)/Allocated*Total) 900.00 157.50 1721.38 1721.38 1057.50 150.00 26.25 1721.38 1721.38 176.25 The Result field is a calculated field and is rounded to 2 decimal places, the calculation is in brackets next to the title name. The Table in SQL has the same structure but the net, vat,...

Count results from query with no results
I have continous form with an unbound text box [keyword] and a button [search]. There is also an unbound textbox [numberofresults] that counts the number of records returned. If the search produces no results, the [numberofresults] needs to read 0, instead it is just blank. What is the proper way to show zero results as 0 and not blank? It depends on how you are doing your search? Do you have a function? Are you just filtering the recordset? Dale -- email address is invalid Please reply to newsgroup only. "Ryan Tisserand" wrote: > I have continous form with an un...

Formula to return numerical, text result?
I need to create a formula that based upon three possible factors, wil return one of two calculations or a text message. If cell B="Good", the formula in cell C returns "Text" If cell B="Better", the formula in cell C returns cell A*.3 If cell B="Best", the formula in cell C returns cell A*.5 Thanks in advance for any tips -- burgeo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- burgeon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2023 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...

don't show the page breaks on the worksheet
After you do a print preview of a worksheet the dotted lines will show your page breaks on the worksheet. Is there any way to NOT see the dotted lines after doing a print preview? You can turn off all page breaks under tools>options>view and uncheck page breaks or use a macro with this line ActiveSheet.DisplayPageBreaks = False so you could make 2 macros, one that turns them off and and one that turns them on. Don't know if it is worth all that work for being a little annoyed Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Classic" wrote: > After you do a print preview of a worksheet...

How to replace a function with its result or resulting reference in a formula?
Hello How to replace a function with its result in a formula? For example, =INDEX(...)+INDEX(...) with =result_of_INDEX(a...)+result_of_INDEX(b...)=1025+1307. How to replace a function with its resulting reference in a formula? For example, =HLOOKUP(1...)+HLOOKUP(2...) with =b11+z11. I need to replace in 1000 cells automatically. "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> �������/�������� � �������� ���������: news:%23cF5PL9zFHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello > How to replace a function with its result in a formula? For example, > =INDEX(...)+INDEX(...) with > =r...

Hide results
I am putting together a summary spreadsheet of dates from seperate worksheets in an excel file. In the summary sheet I reference the 'end' date from the summary sheet. If there is no date in the original file, what formula can I use to leave that cell blank/hide on the summary sheet? The way I have it now the results show the default of 1/0/1900 Here is the formula used to reference the info from. =Summary!K5 =IF(Summary!K5="","",Summary!K5) -- David Biddulph "bigred72" <bigred72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Print Preview only shows in Grey Scale
Hi There, I just got finished creating my letter head in MS Publisher 2003 and when I went to preview it using Print Preview it only shows in Grey Scale. How do I view it in color? Thanks! Does it print in color? Do your other publications show color in print preview? What version Publisher? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Jeff" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6dd401c42f4f$73c41a50$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi There, > > I just got finished creating my letter hea...

Showing current paragraph style (Word 20007)
As a longtime user of Word, I'm used to seeing the paragraph style displayed at the top of the window. My office has switched to Word 2007 (just in time for Word 2010 to be released!). The current paragraph style no longer seems to be displayed, but only shows if I pull down the style list, and then I have to scroll until I see the highlight. Is there an easier way to make it show? -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You can add the classic Style dropdown to the QAT. It will then display the style at the insertion...

Records showing SYSTEM instead of User
I have sent an E-mail to one user from another using Outlook . I have assigned the E-mail to a contact record .The E-mail is tracked in CRM. However in the history page of the Contact recors the Created by field shows SYSTEM instead of User name.please Help. This is normal behavior currently. For the user that promoted the email, you can look at the "Owner" not the Created By. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com "kunal kapoor" wrote: > I have sent an E-mail to one user from another using Outlook . I have > assign...

Cell shows with ########
In Excel 2007, I've opened a file I created in Excel 2003. It looked fine in Excel 2003. But now, in Excel 2007, one cell now appears as #############, onscreen and in Print Preview and when printed. The cell contents look fine in the the entry line at the top of the screen, or when I put the cursor in the cell and hit F2 (edit). The cell contains multiple lines of text. I've tried it both with Wordwrap and without, but the cell still appears as ################. Any suggestions on how to get hese cells to display normally again? Thanks. Maybe widening the column ...

Hide or show Tag from VBA
When I rightclick a shape I can hide or show it's Tag. What are the commands to do that from VBA? Not exactly sure what you're talking about, but I'll take a guess. The shape you are using has a custom right-click, or context menu that allows you to hide and show some graphics. Inside the ShapeSheet for this shape is an Actions section. There will be a formula under the hide/show rows that looks something like one of these: SetF( "User.TagVisible", Not(User.TagVisible) ) SetF( GetRef( User.TagVisible ), Not(User.TagVisible) ) What you are looking for is th...

Text box outlines and images won't show on page
Ok, I laid out the publisher page and all was fine. Today when I went to make some changes to the design on the page, I can't get the images to show, including text box outlines and color filled text boxes. I even tried to start another file and when I inserted a picture, it still wouldn't show. I tried moving objects around, changed the way the picture displays, nothing is working! HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!! weimerent wrote: > Ok, I laid out the publisher page and all was fine. Today when I went to > make some changes to the design on the page, I can't get the images ...

Rounding actual results
Hi, I've got a grid that says: Hr Min Maths: 5 25 English: 7 25 And so on. I'm wanting to work out how much time is devoted to learning in the whole week. What I've got so far is: Hr Min Total learning time: =A1+A2... (counts up all totals in hours column) My current answer for hours is 18. I'm stuck with what to do with the minutes column. so far, I've got an ...

Business Portal 3.0
Hi, I cannot see any Project related data in the Business Portal Queries. I have checked, double-checked and triple-checked security, and all seems valid. My user is a Project Manager and Project Approver. The Project Manager role definitely has Data Permissions access to all the Project objects. There are about 142 projects in total. If I click in Project-Queries-Projects, I get the message: Query Returned No Results Any ideas? Regards Konrad ...

Showing the actual database, not access's idea of it...
I've been working with MS Access for the past few weeks. A friend has a side job working for a summer camp and he needed a database to store all the kids information. Using VBA is not going to happen, I thought I could do what he needed much much easier in visual studios.net 2008 and I probably could have if that department of Microsoft didn't do what appears as drastic as disown the MS Access department. After much work I am able to read/replace and edit the data, but through the whole process I started noticing this. First, in Access the ID(auto number) is listed co...

Displaying and hyperlinking search results in MFC app
I have an MFC (MDI) app that was written using Visual Studio 6. The app retrieves some search results from the database and I want to display those to the user. From the search results I want the user to be able to click via hyperlink to pull up the item. Within MFC what is the best way to display this data? The requirements are: 1. I want to be able to include a small icon for each seach result. 2. I want to include some descriptive text and have the ability to change the colors of that text. 3. I need to be able to trap the clicked event on the hyperlink. 4. It would also be nice if ...

Formula Result is different from the shown result
In the Function Arguments dialog the official Formula Result is different (and wrong) from the result shown after "=" just under the Serial number field. I am using the Year formula. Whatever formatting I use for the date neither this formula nor Text to Columns can return the correct year. EG: Date is 15-05-07 or 39217, Forumula Result = 1905 but under serial number field it shows the correct result of = 2007 Dan, This question; at least to me, isn't clear. What are you entering and where and what is the formula you are referring to? If you enter something ...

If Statement in textbox if the results show as #Error
I have a textbox where its doing % change from two other textboxes. And sometimes the other two other textboxes have 0 as values and it won't be able to do the calculation. I am getting two errors...#Error and #Num!. How can i fix that so it shows blank instead of the #Error and #Num!..... Thank you, Jay You need to change your formula to cater for the possibility of zero (or null) in the other textboxes. Without knowing your formula, I can't specify what to do. -Dorian "Jay" wrote: > I have a textbox where its doing % change from two other textboxes. And &...

Pop up calendar won't show in Excel 2000
A pop up calendar in a form created in Excel 2003 shows up as a red X in Excel 2000. Is there a patch that can be downloaded. Need help! Juls It is probably because the newer file used a control not in the older files library. You could open the VBE and see if there is a calendar control under Tools>References... and try checking it. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Juls" <Juls@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4CD8025-CEEB-43F3-BA90-90C4A64F9D14@microsoft.com... >A pop up ca...

Showing/ not showing "getting started" when excel starts
When I start Excel, the help window "getting started" shows. Can I turn off this option, so Excel will start without this window? Thank You Tools-->Options, View tab, and uncheck Startup task pane. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Ask" <Ask@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E230061F-CFEB-43A2-9218-ECBD15FBCF78@microsoft.com... > When I start Excel, the help window "getting started" shows. Can I turn off > this option, so Excel will start without this window? > Thank You ...

M03 Imported Transaction Not Showing in Register
Hello, I downloaded transactions from my financial web site on four accounts. Two of the accounts I had no problems with; however, the other two accounts each show Transactions to read: 1 in the account list. When I go in to the account register there are no transactions pending to match. I have attempted to redownload the transactions from these account with no success. Is there any way to remove the imported transactions and re-attempt the import. I have not had this happen in the past and have looked through the forum and couldn't find a related post. Thanks, Jer In mi...