Report formatting hangs

I have a report (rptHV) that uses a query (qryHV) as its record source.  The
user opens a form (frmHVClient), chooses a name from a combo box, and then
clicks a command button (cmdClient) to run the report.  The report works fine
as long as certain client names are not chosen.  If those certain client
names are chosen, a progress bar appears in the status area with the message,
"Formatting report - press ctrl + Break to stop..."  and the report hangs and
never formats at all.  Coincidentally (or not) the clients that cause the
issue are all assigned to the same staff member.  I've looked at the data in
those records several times and everything appears normal, so I'm at a loss
as to why this is happening.

This is probably to so with the properties of the sections and groupings. It
may be attempting to find a solution that's not possible.

To test if this is the problem, open the report in design view. In the
Sorting and Grouping box, make sure that each group header/foot is set to
"Do not keep together."

If that doesn't solve it, right-click the Detail section, and choose
Properties. On the Format tab of the properties box, set Keep Together to
No. Repeat for the other sections on the report.

"Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a report (rptHV) that uses a query (qryHV) as its record source.
> The
> user opens a form (frmHVClient), chooses a name from a combo box, and then
> clicks a command button (cmdClient) to run the report.  The report works
> fine
> as long as certain client names are not chosen.  If those certain client
> names are chosen, a progress bar appears in the status area with the
> message,
> "Formatting report - press ctrl + Break to stop..."  and the report hangs
> and
> never formats at all.  Coincidentally (or not) the clients that cause the
> issue are all assigned to the same staff member.  I've looked at the data
> in
> those records several times and everything appears normal, so I'm at a
> loss
> as to why this is happening.

0
Allen
6/3/2010 3:17:39 AM
The second suggestion fixed it!  Now I just have to figure out why it's
having trouble with the grouping...

Thanks so much!

"Allen Browne" wrote:

> This is probably to so with the properties of the sections and groupings. It
> may be attempting to find a solution that's not possible.
>
> To test if this is the problem, open the report in design view. In the
> Sorting and Grouping box, make sure that each group header/foot is set to
> "Do not keep together."
>
> If that doesn't solve it, right-click the Detail section, and choose
> Properties. On the Format tab of the properties box, set Keep Together to
> No. Repeat for the other sections on the report.

> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a report (rptHV) that uses a query (qryHV) as its record source.
> > The
> > user opens a form (frmHVClient), chooses a name from a combo box, and then
> > clicks a command button (cmdClient) to run the report.  The report works
> > fine
> > as long as certain client names are not chosen.  If those certain client
> > names are chosen, a progress bar appears in the status area with the
> > message,
> > "Formatting report - press ctrl + Break to stop..."  and the report hangs
> > and
> > never formats at all.  Coincidentally (or not) the clients that cause the
> > issue are all assigned to the same staff member.  I've looked at the data
> > in
> > those records several times and everything appears normal, so I'm at a
> > loss
> > as to why this is happening.
>
> .

Usually, the amount of the data in the section is TOO large to keep together.
  So Access looks for another page to put it on, but if the amount of data is
too large to fit on one page Access looks for another page and ...

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Tara wrote:
> The second suggestion fixed it!  Now I just have to figure out why it's
> having trouble with the grouping...
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> "Allen Browne" wrote:
>
>> This is probably to so with the properties of the sections and groupings. It
>> may be attempting to find a solution that's not possible.
>>
>> To test if this is the problem, open the report in design view. In the
>> Sorting and Grouping box, make sure that each group header/foot is set to
>> "Do not keep together."
>>
>> If that doesn't solve it, right-click the Detail section, and choose
>> Properties. On the Format tab of the properties box, set Keep Together to
>> No. Repeat for the other sections on the report.
>>
>> --
>> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP.  Perth, Western Australia
>> Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
>> Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.
>>

>> "Tara" <Tara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a report (rptHV) that uses a query (qryHV) as its record source.
>>> The
>>> user opens a form (frmHVClient), chooses a name from a combo box, and then
>>> clicks a command button (cmdClient) to run the report.  The report works
>>> fine
>>> as long as certain client names are not chosen.  If those certain client
>>> names are chosen, a progress bar appears in the status area with the
>>> message,
>>> "Formatting report - press ctrl + Break to stop..."  and the report hangs
>>> and
>>> never formats at all.  Coincidentally (or not) the clients that cause the
>>> issue are all assigned to the same staff member.  I've looked at the data
>>> in
>>> those records several times and everything appears normal, so I'm at a
>>> loss
>>> as to why this is happening.
>> .

0
John

Need more Reports

Strange symbol & format in sent e mail messages #2
Recenrlt my e mail messages ( all new ones, and any replies) now contain a symbol that resembles the one used to note a paragraph, or mark each verse in the Bible. The message format also changes, with a dot between each word. How can i revert to "normal" e mail? ...

conditional formatting for more than 3 conditions
Hi, Is there any solution for the following : I have six type of conditions, if any condition is met, cell colour should be yellow. For example, if cell value is any one of the following : DATA1 DATA2 DATA3 DATA4 DATA5 DATA6 All cells containing above should show yellow colour in the file. Please help. Thanks, Jai formula is =or(c1="data1",c1="data2",etc) or =or(c1={"data1","data2"}) -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Jai" <Jai@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...

W-2 Tax Reporting Figures Not Accurate

Formatting Pallette
The formatting pallette jumps completely off the screen. I've tried removing and then installing back to the toolbar, all the customize options, did the update, and it still jumps off the screen. Any ideas? Hi Steve, Known issue. See the tutorial here to get it back: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/formattingpalettegone.html Hope that helps, On 8/15/06 8:21 AM, "Steve" wrote: > The formatting pallette jumps completely off the screen. I've tried > removing and then installing back to the toolbar, all the customize > options, did the update, and it s...

Sales Report #3

Blank networth reports

Hindi Number Format
Is ther an equivalent in Access for a for a number format available inExcel .NumberFormat = "[$-2000000]#0,000.00"so that I can have Hindi numerals in a reports.when I use Numeral shapes to context or system or National it is notgiving me the desired result.How I can apply this in a Report so that the field will be formatedusing the above way?Thanks...

eXtender SOP Reports

Reports are not being shown MM07

Cell Formatting #16
How can I group a series of cells such as A1,B1,C1,D1 and make them as one cell but keep the smaller cells underneath as a2,b2,c2,d2? I saw this in a calendar template from the microsoft web site and it looked really neat. Thanks Thom Select A1:D1, then Format/Alignment/Merge Cells. But beware. It may look "neat" but it usually causes more problems than it solves. On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:27:03 -0800, thom kamp <thomkamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I group a series of cells such as A1,B1,C1,D1 and make them as one >cell but keep the smaller cells unde...

textbox format
Is it possible to format the text, eg. date (mm-dd-yyyy), in textbox of control toolbox? You can use With Me.TextBox1 If IsDate(.Text) Then .Text = Format(.Text, "mm-dd-yyyy") End With -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Rook" <Rook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86BC7184-CA87-43B7-B81B-1BA5D7070A7F@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to format the text, eg. date (mm-dd-yyyy), in textbox of > control toolbox? Will I put this in the code? Thanks Rook "Bob Phi...

Saving Reports

Date format #34
I have a large spreadsheet in Excel. Dates were entered as "August 1, 2001". When I go to sort the list, Excel sorts by month. I selected all of the date cells, format, and it shows all date cells as Date formated. How can I get Excel to sort by date (by 08/01/2001; not alpha by month)? Or, how can I take the August 1, 2001 and convert into 08/01/2001? Thanks for any help. Sounds like your dates were entered as character strings/labels, not true dates. Try entering a formula to calc the difference between a couple of them. If the formula returns #VALUE, they're cer...

VBA cell selection and format
I have a macro that produces a list of cell references in this format o sheet1, in cell A1:A3 (note the range can grow or shrink) Sheet2!C15 Sheet2!D53 Sheet2!G70 what would be the best way to now highlight the cell references an format the background of these cells -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com One way: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim myRng As Range Dim myCell As Range Dim testRng As Range With Worksheets("sheet1") Set myRng = .Range("a1", .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp)) For Each myCe...

small business reports ...

Reporting Error ==> very urgent

Opening Graph Format Axis Window with Vb code
dear friends, i am using ms office 2003. i have displayed a Microsoft Graph Chart in a form. in that graph if we double click at Origin( where x any y axes intersect each ohter), we will get a data table view. if we again double click at Origin, then we will get a window called Format Axis. it consits of tabs Patterns, scale,Font,Number and Alignment how do we open that window with Vb code. when i click a button that window should be opened ...

format the "date" button for a header
I need to insert a date in my header but not in the short format currently provided by pressing the "date" button. Is there a forumala etc that I can use that will change the format of this particular date without going through computer settings and chaning the "standard" date option. (much like how you can format a normal cell to show the date in whatever format you require You can use this macro: Public Sub DateInHeader() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets ws.PageSetup.LeftHeader = Format(Date, "dd m...

Report writer
Hello, I am trying to add the transaction distribution details onto a copy of the PM Blank Document in Report Writer in GP 9. Would you pls advise as I can add the fields containing the data but the data is not appearing on the report. Thanks your comments are appreciated. -- chj@jup Once you were done modifying the report, did you give access to the mdoified report under Security? -- Lyle U chj wrote: > Hello, > > I am trying to add the transaction distribution details onto a copy > of the PM Blank Document in Report Writer in GP 9. Would you pls > advise as I c...