Printing of sub-report skips to second page.

Hi,

I'm using Access via Office XP Pro on Windows 7.

I'm working on an invoice "form" report.  It is comprised of a main report
and a sub-report.  (I have the same issue on my work order "form" report.)

The main report's record source is tblWorkOrder table, grouped by work order
/invoice number (work order is same as invocie number) and is comprised of:
Work Order Header section
Detail section (sub-report is in this section)
Page Footer

The sub-report's record source is tblWorkOrderDet, grouped by work order /
invoice number, and is comprised of:
WorkOrderHeader section
Detail Line section
WorkOrder Footer section

Question:

If all of the details in the sub-report fit on the first page, everything
works great.  If there are more details than will fit on the first page, ALL
of the details are printed on the second and subsequent pages leaving the
first page 3/4 empty.

The sub-reports's Work Oder Header, Detail, and Work Order Footer's "Keep
Together" properties are all set to "No".  The report's detail section's
"Keep Tother" is also set to "No".

How do I get the details to start printing on the first page even if they
subsequently run over to the second and later pages.

--
Dennis

Dennis wrote:
>I'm using Access via Office XP Pro on Windows 7.
>
>I'm working on an invoice "form" report.  It is comprised of a main report
>and a sub-report.  (I have the same issue on my work order "form" report.)
>
>The main report's record source is tblWorkOrder table, grouped by work order
>/invoice number (work order is same as invocie number) and is comprised of:
>Work Order Header section
>Detail section (sub-report is in this section)
>Page Footer
>
>The sub-report's record source is tblWorkOrderDet, grouped by work order /
>invoice number, and is comprised of:
>WorkOrderHeader section
>Detail Line section
>WorkOrder Footer section
>
>Question:
>
>If all of the details in the sub-report fit on the first page, everything
>works great.  If there are more details than will fit on the first page, ALL
>of the details are printed on the second and subsequent pages leaving the
>first page 3/4 empty.
>
>The sub-reports's Work Oder Header, Detail, and Work Order Footer's "Keep
>Together" properties are all set to "No".  The report's detail section's
>"Keep Tother" is also set to "No".
>
>How do I get the details to start printing on the first page even if they
>subsequently run over to the second and later pages.

It sounds like you have a group in the main or sub report
with its KeepTogether property (in Sorting and Grouping) set
to Whole Group.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

I checked the following:

Main form
Sort and Group - Keep Together is set to "No"
WorkOrder Header - Keep Together was set to "Yes".  I chged it to "No".
Detail section - Keept together set to "No".

In sub-report
Sort and Group - Keep Together are set to "No".
Group Header - Keep Together is set to "No."
Detail section - Keept Together is set to "No".
WorkOrder Footer - Keep Together is set to "No"

Dennis
Dennis wrote:
>Main form
>Sort and Group - Keep Together is set to "No"
>WorkOrder Header - Keep Together was set to "Yes".  I chged it to "No".
>Detail section - Keept together set to "No".
>
>In sub-report
>Sort and Group - Keep Together are set to "No".
>Group Header - Keep Together is set to "No."
>Detail section - Keep Together is set to "No".
>WorkOrder Footer - Keep Together is set to "No"

The section KeepTogether setting only affects each instance
of the section so that can not be the cause of what you are
seeing.  OTOH, setting the group's property to Whole Group
can definitely produce that effect.  This would be obvious
if you look at which group header section(s?) appear on the
second page.

Unless you have some VBA code (or a macro) doing something
odd or the report is corrupted, I am out of ideas as to what
else can cause it.

I do have to question why you have both the subreport and
the main report grouping on the same field.  The
LinkMaster/Child settings should limit the suberport to the
WorkOrder field so there will only be one work order per
instance of the subreport.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Your comment:  The section KeepTogether setting only affects each instance
of the section so that can not be the cause of what you are seeing.  OTOH,
setting the group's property to Whole Group can definitely produce that
effect.  This would be obvious if you look at which group header section(s?)
appear on the second page.

My response:  The Work Order group's heading from the sub-report heading is
appearing on the second page.  Where do I check for Whole Group?  I looked at
the group header section for the Work Order on the sub-report and there is
nothing there under that name.  I have the following values for Work Order
Group Header on the sub-report:

Group Header:  Yes
Group Footer:  Yes
Group On:  Each value
Group Interval: 1
Keep Together: No.

Your comment: Unless you have some VBA code (or a macro) doing something
odd or the report is corrupted, I am out of ideas as to what else can cause
it.

Response:  I have code to format the customer name and address, suppress the
page footing if only 1 page long, and extracting the value in the OpenArgs.
I dont' do anything with those values yet.  That is my next step.

Your comment:  I do have to question why you have both the subreport and
the main report grouping on the same field.  The LinkMaster/Child settings
should limit the suberport to the WorkOrder field so there will only be one
work order per instance of the subreport.

Response:  The LinkMaster / Child setting does limit the sub-report to just
transactions for the work order / invoice.  What was happen is I would not
get an invoice column heading / page heading on the second physical page
(first page of sub-report) of the invoice form.

I posted a question asking how to get the column headings to print and I was
told that page heading and page footings do not print in sub-reports.  The
way around this was to group on Work Order in the sub-report and have the
Group Heading print on each page by setting the Group Heading property
,Repeat Section set to yes.  I did this and it worked.

Dennis
Dennis wrote:
>Your comment:  The section KeepTogether setting only affects each instance
>of the section so that can not be the cause of what you are seeing.  OTOH,
>setting the group's property to Whole Group can definitely produce that
>effect.  This would be obvious if you look at which group header section(s?)
>appear on the second page.
>
>My response:  The Work Order group's heading from the sub-report heading is
>appearing on the second page.  Where do I check for Whole Group?  I looked at
>the group header section for the Work Order on the sub-report and there is
>nothing there under that name.  I have the following values for Work Order
>Group Header on the sub-report:
>
>Group Header:  Yes
>Group Footer:  Yes
>Group On:  Each value
>Group Interval: 1
>Keep Together: No.

This is the KeepTogether that I thought would be set to
Whole Group.  (They are the group's settings, not the group
header section's settings).

>Your comment: Unless you have some VBA code (or a macro) doing something
>odd or the report is corrupted, I am out of ideas as to what else can cause
>it.
>
>Response:  I have code to format the customer name and address, suppress the
>page footing if only 1 page long, and extracting the value in the OpenArgs.
>I dont' do anything with those values yet.

The kind of thing I was contemplating is a page break
control being made visible or something that fools around
with the ForceNewPage property.

>Your comment:  I do have to question why you have both the subreport and
>the main report grouping on the same field.  The LinkMaster/Child settings
>should limit the suberport to the WorkOrder field so there will only be one
>work order per instance of the subreport.
>
>Response:  The LinkMaster / Child setting does limit the sub-report to just
>transactions for the work order / invoice.  What was happen is I would not
>get an invoice column heading / page heading on the second physical page
>(first page of sub-report) of the invoice form.
>
>I posted a question asking how to get the column headings to print and I was
>told that page heading and page footings do not print in sub-reports.  The
>way around this was to group on Work Order in the sub-report and have the
>Group Heading print on each page by setting the Group Heading property
>,Repeat Section set to yes.

Yes, using RepeatSection will do that.  I would use the
expresion =1 instead of the linking field, but there's no
reason why in your case it should do anything different.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

What do you mean by :

My comment: I posted a question asking how to get the column headings to
print and I was told that page heading and page footings do not print in
sub-reports.  The way around this was to group on Work Order in the
sub-report and have the Group Heading print on each page by setting the Group
Heading property Repeat Section set to yes.

Your response:  Yes, using RepeatSection will do that.  I would use the
expresion =1 instead of the linking field, but there's no reason why in your
case it should do anything different.

My question:  What do you mean by "I would use the expression =1 instead of
the linking field"

Dennis
Dennis wrote:
>What do you mean by :
>
>My comment: I posted a question asking how to get the column headings to
>print and I was told that page heading and page footings do not print in
>sub-reports.  The way around this was to group on Work Order in the
>sub-report and have the Group Heading print on each page by setting the Group
>Heading property Repeat Section set to yes.
>
>Your response:  Yes, using RepeatSection will do that.  I would use the
>expresion =1 instead of the linking field, but there's no reason why in your
>case it should do anything different.
>
>My question:  What do you mean by "I would use the expression =1 instead of
>the linking field"

In Sorting and Grouping, the place where you specify the
grouping field also allows you to use an expression.   I
suggested the trivial expression  =1, but it can be any
constant expression, eg.  ="Dummy page header"

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Write Name of Report Query in Report Footer
Is it possible to programmatically write the name of the query the report is based on in a text box in the report footer. "Steve Stad" <SteveStad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1B0F793-C14A-4101-AB45-807BE72A4A11@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to programmatically write the name of the query the report > is based on in a text box in the report footer. Place a text box on your report, and set its Control Source property to: =[Report].[RecordSource] -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users...

when generate monthly report money 2003 reports error and close automatically
I am running money 2003 on my windows xp for over a year, never has a problem but until today. When I try to generate the monthly report for June, there is popup error message saying that the program has encountered some problems and needs to close and whether I want to send those technical error details to MS, and besides this I got an option to check it if I want money to reopen. The program still able to generate monthly reports for previous months and even the month in progress but not June! Can someone point me the direction to rectify this problem ( I have tried to uninstall and reinsta...

Call a Sub from another Worksheet
I can't seem to get this to work: Dim wb As Workbook Set wb = Workbooks.Open("z:\journal entry.xlsm") Application.Run wb.Name & "!CreateSubmittal" The Sub CreateSubmittal is designated as "Public Sub CreateSubmittal()" or not. The Sub is in the THisWorkbook object or Module1. Neither works. Ideas? Thanks! Hi Mike, It's all in the Quote marks. Note the Apotrophe enclosed in double quotes on both ends of the file name variable. Application.Run "'" & wb.Name & "'" & "!CreateSub...

printing copies

Ghosted print and print preview

Smartlist report #3
In the SmartList reports, there is one called Account Summary, with a field called Balance for Calculation. That field has a drop down with (2) choices: Net Change or Period Balance. I have never been able to return any data if I use the "Period Balance" choice. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? Merle Merle, You're not doing anything wrong. Basically, that field is useless in that particular SmartList. Personally I don't find much use for that SmartList in general. I know it sounds promising, but you're not going to get what you're looking for from...

Report from Access 2003 to 2007 problem

Print Dynamic Range

TCP/IP printing

GL Cross-Reference Report - no results
Trying to use the GL cross-reference report to reprint posting journals but I'm not getting any results. I've checked to confirm that all audit trail codes are marked to allow reprints. In the report options I've tried using open years, historical years, priting by JE range, audit trail, dates, source documents but nothing is returned regardless of the combination. On your report options window, do you have one of the account types checked off under 'Include'. It's on the left side of the window near the top. Kind regards, Leslie "irishjamr&q...

Printing booklet

Drawing Page Orientation Doesn't Match Printer Paper Orientation #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC The thumbnail preview shows that the drawing page orientation doesn't match the printer paper orientation. I can not get the page orientation to match. When I change it to letter, I can see the document change to landscape. When I change the page orientation to landscape, it changes the document to portrait. The two will not be the same. This is in Word 2008, it also happened in an older version of Word. Help, what do I do? ...

Check printing in GP 7.0

Running Reports
Hello all, I've created a report that has the information that I've selected in it and everything is fine. But there are times I need to print out one persons statement instead of printing the entire report over. I know that I could do a query, but I would like to use the format of my creadted report. Is there a way I can access my created report and have it give me the information I want and not have to run the entire report? If you can help me. I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you. Using a query will not change the format of report. Create the query. Open the re...

Custom Reports #6
Hi, I need a custom report. does anyone knows someone who can do it? thanks, Sacha Hi there, Retail Analytics from Professional Adavantage will enable you to get any of your RMS data into Excel. Retail Analytics for Microsoft RMS is designed to help retailers manage their business by delivering analytical reporting on business performance. Easily identify trends, buying patterns, seasonality, and other key performance indicators for your business. If you enter it in RMS you can report on it in Retail Analytics. We also demonstrations of this product on your data - if you are i...

"Tiled" print setting.

CHtmlView and Printing

Problems with printing

Incorrect Tax-Inclusive Reports
Has anyone else noticed that the tax-inclusive reports in HQ and Store Manager give false information? The sales totals after tax are based on (TransactionEntry.Price * TransactionEntry.Quantity) - TransactionEntry.SalesTax. The totals of (price * quantity) already exclude tax! They are taking it out twice, which gives falsely lower sales totals. I have corrected the report for myself, but before I contact Microsoft, I would be interested to know if anyone else has brought it to their attention. price column is including tax on our set up base on the price source. So the report...

Printing--How not to Print Bkground

Printing in Vista

How do you customize the 'Print View'?

Printing problem