Lines - print different to whats on screen

Hi
Marshall Barton replied to my previous post, with code as below, to create a
'roundy rectangle'
And all worked well. Or so I thought.
The report looked fine on screen, and printed fine. However, if coverted to
snapshot, the thinkness of the line greatly increased, so that all the
rectangles merged together.
Likewise if converted to PDF - we're using a third party app - Win2PDF.

The report is a main report with around 10 sub reports. I couldn't figure
out what the problem was, so I created a brand new main report. Then I
inserted the sub reports in.
Lets call the original report rptOrig, and the new rptNew.
On rptOrig, the DrawWidth had been 120. For whatever reason, this was too
thick on rptNew, so I set it to 45.
rptNew looks fine on screen. Converts to PDF fine. However, it has its own
problems:
    1) When printed from Access, the lines are much thinner. And black, as
opposed to Grey.
    2) When converted to snapshot, the lines are thinner here also.

I can workaround the printing issue, by converting to PDF and printing from
there. However, I'd like to understand what the issue is.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Vayse

'*************************************************************
Const R As Long = 100
Const Pi As Double = 3.14159265
Const LineWidth As Long = 45
Const LineForeColour As Long = 12632256

Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)

On Error GoTo Err_Format

      Me.ForeColor = LineForeColour
      Me.DrawWidth = LineWidth

    ' Roundy rectangle aroudn the outline of the report
      Roundy ("rptPolicyTop")
     Roundy ("rptMortgage_Summary")

Exit_Format:
    Exit Sub

Err_Format:
    msgError (Me.Name)
    Resume Exit_Format

End Sub

Private Sub Roundy(stReport As String)

    With Me(stReport)
        Me.Line (.Left, .Top + R)-(.Left, .Top + .Height - R)
        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + R), R, , 0.5 * Pi, Pi
        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top)
        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + R), R, , 0, 0.5 * Pi
        Me.Line (.Left + .Width, .Top + R)-(.Left + .Width, .Top + .Height -
R)
        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , 1.5 * Pi, 2
* Pi
        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top + .Height)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top +
..Height)
        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , Pi, 1.5 * Pi
    End With

End Sub

0
Vayse

The issue has to do with how the Report object Line and Circle methods are
encoded within the Snapshot, specifically how they are tranlsated to GDI
BltBit calls.  You have no control over this logic.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

"Vayse" <vvv> wrote in message
> Hi
> Marshall Barton replied to my previous post, with code as below, to create
> a 'roundy rectangle'
> And all worked well. Or so I thought.
> The report looked fine on screen, and printed fine. However, if coverted
> to snapshot, the thinkness of the line greatly increased, so that all the
> rectangles merged together.
> Likewise if converted to PDF - we're using a third party app - Win2PDF.
>
> The report is a main report with around 10 sub reports. I couldn't figure
> out what the problem was, so I created a brand new main report. Then I
> inserted the sub reports in.
> Lets call the original report rptOrig, and the new rptNew.
> On rptOrig, the DrawWidth had been 120. For whatever reason, this was too
> thick on rptNew, so I set it to 45.
> rptNew looks fine on screen. Converts to PDF fine. However, it has its own
> problems:
>    1) When printed from Access, the lines are much thinner. And black, as
> opposed to Grey.
>    2) When converted to snapshot, the lines are thinner here also.
>
> I can workaround the printing issue, by converting to PDF and printing
> from there. However, I'd like to understand what the issue is.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Vayse
>

> '*************************************************************
> Const R As Long = 100
> Const Pi As Double = 3.14159265
> Const LineWidth As Long = 45
> Const LineForeColour As Long = 12632256
>
> Private Sub Detail_Print(Cancel As Integer, PrintCount As Integer)
>
> On Error GoTo Err_Format
>
>      Me.ForeColor = LineForeColour
>      Me.DrawWidth = LineWidth
>
>    ' Roundy rectangle aroudn the outline of the report
>      Roundy ("rptPolicyTop")
>     Roundy ("rptMortgage_Summary")
>
> Exit_Format:
>    Exit Sub
>
> Err_Format:
>    msgError (Me.Name)
>    Resume Exit_Format
>
> End Sub
>

> Private Sub Roundy(stReport As String)
>
>    With Me(stReport)
>        Me.Line (.Left, .Top + R)-(.Left, .Top + .Height - R)
>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + R), R, , 0.5 * Pi, Pi
>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top)
>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + R), R, , 0, 0.5 * Pi
>        Me.Line (.Left + .Width, .Top + R)-(.Left + .Width, .Top +
> .Height - R)
>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , 1.5 * Pi,
> 2 * Pi
>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top + .Height)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top +
> .Height)
>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , Pi, 1.5 * Pi
>    End With
>
> End Sub

0
Stephen
8/30/2007 12:28:03 PM
Thanks! Re snapshot - fair enough. But why does this also apply to the
printing from within Access? Do the same GDI BltBit call apply there as
well?

It looks like this could be an issue for me. Its not at the moment, but I am
worried that if I change my report that the PDF would stop working.
Is there an alternative to using the line and circle statements?

"Stephen Lebans" <ForEmailGotoMy.WebSite.-WWWdotlebansdot...@linvalid.com>
wrote in message news:eemAeEw6HHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>>
>> Exit_Format:
>>    Exit Sub
>>
>> Err_Format:
>>    msgError (Me.Name)
>>    Resume Exit_Format
>>
>> End Sub
>>

>> Private Sub Roundy(stReport As String)
>>
>>    With Me(stReport)
>>        Me.Line (.Left, .Top + R)-(.Left, .Top + .Height - R)
>>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + R), R, , 0.5 * Pi, Pi
>>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top)
>>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + R), R, , 0, 0.5 * Pi
>>        Me.Line (.Left + .Width, .Top + R)-(.Left + .Width, .Top +
>> .Height - R)
>>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , 1.5 * Pi,
>> 2 * Pi
>>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top + .Height)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top +
>> .Height)
>>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , Pi, 1.5 * Pi

0
Vayse
8/30/2007 1:39:41 PM
When Access prints to the printer or to a Snapshot file(no difference) the
output is converted to an Enhanced Metafile(EMF). .Each record of the EMF is
itself a recording of a GDI call corresponding to some element of the report
to be rendered. It's a lot more technical than that  but you get the idea.

AFAIK there is no VBA alternative to what Marshall posted. You could instead
use an Image control containing the desired rounded rectangle that you would
resize at run time.

--

HTH
Stephen Lebans

"Vayse" <vvv> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> Exit_Format:
>>>    Exit Sub
>>>
>>> Err_Format:
>>>    msgError (Me.Name)
>>>    Resume Exit_Format
>>>
>>> End Sub
>>>

>>> Private Sub Roundy(stReport As String)
>>>
>>>    With Me(stReport)
>>>        Me.Line (.Left, .Top + R)-(.Left, .Top + .Height - R)
>>>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + R), R, , 0.5 * Pi, Pi
>>>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top)
>>>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + R), R, , 0, 0.5 * Pi
>>>        Me.Line (.Left + .Width, .Top + R)-(.Left + .Width, .Top +
>>> .Height - R)
>>>        Me.Circle (.Left + .Width - R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , 1.5 *
>>> Pi, 2 * Pi
>>>        Me.Line (.Left + R, .Top + .Height)-(.Left + .Width - R, .Top +
>>> .Height)
>>>        Me.Circle (.Left + R, .Top + .Height - R), R, , Pi, 1.5 * Pi

0
Stephen
8/31/2007 12:49:07 AM
Interesting.
It would be a lot more difficult to do using an image control, and would
probably not look as well.
As long as the PDF works, I'll continue to use Marshalls method.
Thanks
Diarmuid

wrote in message news:ucwFki26HHA.1900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> When Access prints to the printer or to a Snapshot file(no difference) the
> output is converted to an Enhanced Metafile(EMF). .Each record of the EMF
> is itself a recording of a GDI call corresponding to some element of the
> report to be rendered. It's a lot more technical than that  but you get
> the idea.
>
> AFAIK there is no VBA alternative to what Marshall posted. You could
> instead use an Image control containing the desired rounded rectangle that
> you would resize at run time.
>
> --
>
> HTH
> Stephen Lebans
> http://www.lebans.com
> Access Code, Tips and Tricks
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can benefit.
>

> "Vayse" <vvv> wrote in message
>> Thanks! Re snapshot - fair enough. But why does this also apply to the
>> printing from within Access? Do the same GDI BltBit call apply there as
>> well?
>>
>> It looks like this could be an issue for me. Its not at the moment, but I
>> am worried that if I change my report that the PDF would stop working.
>> Is there an alternative to using the line and circle statements?
>>

>> "Stephen Lebans"
>> <ForEmailGotoMy.WebSite.-WWWdotlebansdot...@linvalid.com> wrote in
>> message news:eemAeEw6HHA.3716@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> The issue has to do with how the Report object Line and Circle methods
>>> are encoded within the Snapshot, specifically how they are tranlsated to
>>> GDI BltBit calls.  You have no control over this logic.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> Stephen Lebans
>>> http://www.lebans.com
>>> Access Code, Tips and Tricks
>>> Please respond only to the newsgroups so everyone can benefit.
>>>

>>> "Vayse" <vvv> wrote in message

0
Vayse

user input into HTM area
I am using the transaction screen area to display a custom web page. This accepts user input (which the customisation guide told me was possible). The problem is that when enter is pressed in text box or similar control the tender screen pops up. If the transaction screen area is allowed to accept input then there must be a way around this. I am actually using it to try to get input from a scanner/swipe card and the carridge return is making the tender screen appear. In the transaction screen on a blank transcation line pressing enter makes the tender box pop up but when are scaning an item...

Line Spacing and Line Justification
I am a Publisher novice. On a blank page I pasted a PowerPoint Presentation slide. Below the slide I drew a line and copied that same line multiple times. How do I make the spacing between theses lines of equal ditance? How do I align these lines so that they are basically at the same starting point on the left side of the page? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Regards, Mercury The best way would be to create guidelines. Select your created line, while holding the ctrl, (the cursor will turn into a + sign) pull the copy to the next guideline. If you go the copy route, ...

Converting Excel table with multi-line cells into Access DB
Hello ~ I need to export a MSWord table to an Access table. The original Word table contains multiple lines of text in each cell, separated with carriage-return(line return). .. I would like to retain these multiple lines within in each destination field in Access or Excel I have the following structure in my Word table: Column1: PhotoID (alphanumeric,single line) Column2: Image of the photos(jpeg/bmp) Column3: Description(text, multiline) Column4: Code#(alphanumeric, single line) Column5: Notes(text, multiline) In short, how do you tranfer those multi-line cells(with carriage-return...

List in different formats
A short intro: I work for a company that sells dvds and cds. Every week we make a saleslist based on sale and expected sale of new titles. The problem is that I have to make the same list in different formats, based on what it's to be used for. The articles on every list is the same, but the articleinfo varies. I have to make the following formats: csv, doc, excel, html, ppt. The info are mainly text, but there is also a collumn with pictures. So to the question. Is it possible to make one list in excel, and then generate the rest of them from there? Today we use a lot of time every...

Skipping a line by condition
Thanks for reading this. I have a report that is grouped by [positiontitle] in a two column report. It prints out ok. The thing is what I want it to do is when a new [positiontitle] comes up I want it to skip a line in the report. For example: Worker George Fred Non Worker Bill Tom The way it comes up now is: Worker George Tom Non Worker Bill Tom The [positiontitle] is located in the header of the report. Thanks for your help. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/2...

Income differences while creating a Budget
I am new to MS Money 2005. I am trying to create a Budget. I input my monthly income, click Done and in the Budget Summary page, it has my income less than what I input. This is probably a simple question, but I can not for the life of me figure it out. Thank you for any help you can give me. Rhonda ...

transaction screen component
Does anyone know where (which data) contain transaction screen information? How to modify or customize transaction screen from backend? Thanks ...

Step Line Charts
Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vertical. Hi Carrie, You Will need some form of extra data to get excel to create a step chart. Take a look at these methods. (http://www.andypope.info/charts/stepchart.htm) Carrie wrote: > Does anyone know how I can create a step line chart without having to have 2 data points per x-axis point. What I want is a horizontal line until the next data point and then I want the line to go vert...

What are the different types of messages are available in VC++/MFC
Hai, What are the different types of messages are available in VC++/MFC Thank you Bye. All types. Tom "jagadeesh" <jagadeeshbabu.mca@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1142595959.289754.229100@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... > Hai, > > What are the different types of messages are available in VC++/MFC > > > > Thank you > > Bye. > ...

Time difference #4
Hi This might be simple, but please help. I have a number of events, and want a time associated with each. Th last event has a final time. The previous events have a time gap. want those events to have a time which is the previous time minues th time gap. I think I need something like '=a20-d19', and copied t previous cells as '=a19-d18' and so on. What do you think ? Thanks Rober -- RobertLee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2658 View this threa...

Line colors in a bargraph
ColorNum and m_Array are set before entry which works fine except for all bars are outlined in black which is not a major problem, but would like to eliminate. How do I draw the line in the code below a different color than the bars? Below is a snip from my BarChart() routine: CBrush BlackBrush(RGB(10,10,10)); CBrush CyanBrush(RGB(1,39,229)); CBrush MagentaBrush(RGB(176,4,174)); CBrush YellowBrush(RGB(187,176,3)); CBrush GrayBrush(RGB(230,230,230)); if (m_Array.GetSize()) { // ***** THE PROBLEM IS HERE WHERE I WOULD LIKE THE DRAWN LINE TO BE LIGHT GRAY ***** MemDC.Sele...

Please help me .... (CListCtrl multi-line column)
Dear all, I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data displayed in the control contains multiple lines. By default, the control displays the multiple-line text in a single line. In the multiple-line text, it uses "\r\n" (CR-LF). How can I set the column of CListCtrl to display the column text in multiple line like the data cell in Excel? -- Kathy This is the nearest i can find. Hope it helps http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/lists,treesandcombos/article.php/c2291/ "Kathy" wrote: > Dear all, > > I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data di...

OWA - Hangs "Loading" Inbox
2 of our OWA servers have recently stopped functioning. The login appears ok and the interface starts to load, but the fonts are wrong (times new roman is shown) and the inbox doesn't load at all, showing "Loading..." I've searched the forums/web and can see many people had the same issue, but have found no fixes that work. "Error on Page" Line: 56 Char: 1 Error: Object expected. Any suggestions or help really will be gratefully received. Thanks I had this same issue except one of my owa boxes would work and the other one didn't. I don't have a KB ar...

Line chart with value on the line
Hi, I have implement a line chart by thousands of data rows for a stock. Now I want to show values on 10 particular points with the lable E.g, one extra column for displaying the label. TradeDate Ticker Close Label 04/01/1999 1234 63.67 05/01/1999 1234 63 06/01/1999 1234 63 Mr. A buy 07/01/1999 1234 67.33 08/01/1999 1234 68.33 11/01/1999 1234 68.67 Mr. B buy Does anyone teach me how to do this ?? thanks Ginola "Ginola" <ginola@fake.email.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3fdc1aa6.8209734@msnews.microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have implement a line chart b...

Selecting Screen
I have a multiple user environment. I want to be able to set the screen on the other computers from one computer the screen could be different or the same. How would I do this? \TERMONE\\ DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSystemClosed" \TERMTWO\\ DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSystemClosed" Any help appreciated. Thanks DS The following shows you how to get the screen resolution, from there you will need to modify the test to fit what is returned. The following can be placed in the code prior to the call to open the form: dim scrWidth as integer dim scrHeight as integer scrWidth = apiGetsy...

removing black lines
Sometimes I type an underline bar across the page. At the end of the page I'll hit the return (enter) key. When I do, the underline bar turns into a big black bar. Then I can't get rid of it. It just stays there. How can I get rid of this black bar? See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CantGetRidOfLine.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> &...

want to filter out emails, with subjest line starting with a specfic sring
Hi All, I am using MS outlook 2003, I am trying to find out how can i create a rule to filter out emails with subject line starting with a specific string, but not to filter if that string is in the middle of subject line. i.e. lets take the sting as Foo Filer if Foo is in the starting don't filter if if the Foo is not in the starting. if any of you aware of the trick to make this happen please let me know, i tried to google it, but couldn't find anything related to it. Thanks Anand outlook doesn't offer anyway to build that sort of rule. If you can coun...

Line graph question
How do I get my date axes (the horizontal axes) to start at zero followed by the first day of the month. -- WH99 Hi, If your dates are entered in the spreadsheet as dates then you may have problems - Excel stores dates as numbers so today is 39594 and 0 would be January 0, 1900. This would tend to spread the x-axis out quite a ways. If your dates are not entered as dates then make the first entry 0,0 - that is put another entry in the data area whose date value is 0 and whose value is 0. There are potential problems with this approach - each entry will be spaced equidistant apart ...

reading line by line
Dear all, I have a big problem, but I don't known how excel can solve it. I have a sheet with like it: process process_line status values_USD 0255155 10 44 10 0255155 20 44 20 0255156 10 33 11 0255156 20 44 21 0256157 10 33 12 0256157 20 33 22 0256157 30 33 23 0256158 10 ...

Adding a line to the line/column chart?
Is there anyway I can add a second line to the line/column chart? Basically I have 3 sets of data that I want to plot vs. time on the same graph. 1 using the column format, the other 2 being lines connected by data points. Create the chart using all the data, right click on the one you want to change to a line and select chart type from the dialogue box and choose the type you want. There are a few restrictions on the mix you can have though. -- John MOS Master Instructor Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Steven"...

Can I link timeline labels to a line chart?
I've been trying to do this for a bit and can't seem to find a way. I am trying to do a line chart of weekly sales for two product lines over several years (2 separate lines). What I would like to do is overlay labels for press releases (so you can see if they have an impact on sales) on the same chart, and have a line from the name of the press release to the correct corresponding point on the line chart that is "active", so as more points are added to the chart, the line indicating the unit corresponding to the date of the press release will move also. Additionally, the...

fonts line by line
I'm doing line by line translation. How can I easily use different fonts for alternating lines? Assuming you're pressing Enter at the end of each line, so each line is a separate paragraph: Define two paragraph styles, one for each font.* In the definition of each style, specify the other style as the "style for following paragraph". *In case you don't know, to define a style, click Format > Styles and Formatting (Word 2003 and earlier) or press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S (Word 2007) to open the Styles pane, then click the New Style button. -- Regards, Jay ...

Dynamically control how many lines on a graph?
I apologize if this is a FAQ, for some reason my newsreader isn't picking up any messages from this group (looks like no postings) so hopefully I'll be able to access responses, if not, I'll googlesearch for responses later today and tomorrow... ------------------------------------------------ I have many sets of data, all on the same sheet (in a repeated pattern- starting in row 1, then 11, then 21, etc) My single graph is based on named ranges, and the named range(s) are based on Steve Bullen's funchart1 (autoexpanding chart) to control how many x-axis values are shown- whic...

Write from one file to a specific line of another
I need to make Excel read a value from a specific cell (A3 for instance) in a specific file (Input file), read a group of cells on that file (for instance D5:G5) and write them in a specific row (that corresponds to the value in cell A3) on a different file (Database). It would be really helpfull if somebody could give me some help on that. Thanks in advance Savvo, Would you want to overwrite the values that are already there, or would you want to insert a blank row? Is the value in A3 a row number? Where to you want D5:G5 to go? D to G of Database? Or would you rather that the numbers j...

simple line graph
I am a church consultant, and I want to make a simple line graph to paste into my Powerpoint presentation, showing the rise and fall of our membership numbers, from nothing up to 11 million, and then down to 7 million. I don't know how to do that. Tom in Texas Why not just create the chart in PowerPoint? It uses the same tools, as does Excel. You don't give enough info regarding the data to be plotted for any specific direction, but if you have a look at either Word or PPT Help on the topic: Create a chart you shouldn't have any problem. HTH |:>) Bob Jones ...